Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Annointed posted:

Honestly just kind of want the Climax already. I don't think Tom Siddell should do another 20 years of slow burn comic.

I'd be fine with it wrapping up, too, I just think he didn't plan out sufficiently in advance how to do that. Or well... given how long it's running I'm not sure it's possible to have a level of payoff worthy of plot threads that have been dangling for 15, 10, or even 5 years.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

a number of online comic creators also found better jobs, like i think cucumber quest stopped partly because she's now a storyboarder, and Jake Wyatt who did Necropolis stopped because he drew for mainstream comcis and then became a showrunner for a superman show

Jake Wyatt's always been a professional comic artist. He dabbles in Necropolis off and on between jobs (which does mean the comic will never be properly finished, like most webcomics professionals do as a side-project.) There have been a lot of webcomic people who jumped into other work though. Meredith Gran is a professor of comics now and finishing up a video game. Ryan North, Chris Hastings, and Brian Clevinger all made the jump into "mainstream" comic writing. There's also just the huge swath of kids who start making webcomics in college and then graduate and never have the time to finish them.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

That is why I stopped following the Deegan thread. I mean, it is well and good to laugh at things being terrible; I wouldn't still be on these forums if I didn't. But too much can just seem poisonous to the soul.

Ahh yes, the DarksydePhil curse. Cling to the poop and you will stink worse than it does, eventually.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

The Chad Jihad posted:

Lore Olympus is godawful so it makes sense it would be hated

its sucks

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

Meredith Gran is a professor of comics now and finishing up a video game.
just wanted to mention this came out in february!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1172800/Perfect_Tides/

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I don't really understand the love or animus Lore Olympus gets. It struck me as just kinda there when I tried it, and it's the kind of story I'd normally be into so :geno:

I was going to make a joke about this being a derail but technically webcomics are online creator things so obviously this is on topic!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah it's not a full on hate thread, it just has the possibility of heading there, that's why i bounced. i was part of some of the critical response to a past chapter but it kept extending to every new strip and was getting a little too 'bitch eating crackers' for me. i'm sure there's still fine and normal posting in there currently but it wasn't super fun to wade through for me anymore, and i doubt there's gonna be a 'we forgive you king' moment
Yeah it just became miserable and reminded me how PSP made me burnout of wrestling by just constant negativity that was verging on hyperbolic.

For Lore Olympus, what can I say I just like Greek Mythology adaptations and I've read worse (one being this one that was about aliens finding themselves stranded on Earth, think it was called Wayward Sons or something like that)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah I've been digging that comic and it's a shame how goons have to goon about it being creepy/bad. The Gunnerkrigg Court thread used to be good but had slowly turned into a hatewatch thread it feels like

It's a shame because other than Lore Olympus (allegedly, I haven't read it) and Legacy of Dominic Deegan, the comics shared in the CCCC thread are actually interesting and good.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

a number of online comic creators also found better jobs, like i think cucumber quest stopped partly because she's now a storyboarder, and Jake Wyatt who did Necropolis stopped because he drew for mainstream comcis and then became a showrunner for a superman show

Brian Clevinger from 8-bit theater became a published comic writer and made Atomic Robo.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Kelly Turnbull/Coelasquid (she did Manly Guys Doing Manly Things) works in animation now.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

"harpy gee's" author works as an animator, as does the author of "monster's garden" and they both "show" it in different ways; harpy gee's influence from early 90s children's animation is immediately evident and monster's garden is currently in the middle of one (of many!) kinetic action sequences (this comic would benefit from a print bc these pages would look great side by side). bybloemen's creator (please read bybloemen lol) is an archaeologist whose interest in history has introduced me to how uniquely deranged the dutch were/are. one of namesake's creators helps run hiveworks which is where i pulled these webcomics from. she's a total sweetheart. another animator is the artist of "doomsday my dear" who is my friend and im loling now looking at it and thinking about the influence it took from animation. cami my friend, how many times did you watch "atlantis" growing up. be honest!!

actually the muted palette and sharp, confident lines reminds me of late 80s dark fantasy movies on top of that revival of the style in the mid-2000s that never caught on :(. your "secrets of nihm"s or your "sword in the stone"s and whatnot.

well. thats my dossier

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
All this webcomics stuff brings to mind how so loving many of them kind of just never went anywhere or their creators went insane. Sin City had the whole aesthetics of being a typical newspaper comic then the creator turned into a psycho incel bro. Was there was a big push in the mid 00s for all those popular webcomics to get published and treated like a real big deal and then most of them kind of fizzled out?

What's the webcomic equivalent to Bone? Something that kept up a high level of quality despite irregular updates? The nature of chasing clicks and the algorithm makes modern creatives have to update super regularly if they aren't making $$$ from patreon so there's no real room for something to take time for superior quality.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
would Kill Six Billion Demons fit that bill?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

pentyne posted:

All this webcomics stuff brings to mind how so loving many of them kind of just never went anywhere or their creators went insane. Sin City had the whole aesthetics of being a typical newspaper comic then the creator turned into a psycho incel bro. Was there was a big push in the mid 00s for all those popular webcomics to get published and treated like a real big deal and then most of them kind of fizzled out?

What's the webcomic equivalent to Bone? Something that kept up a high level of quality despite irregular updates? The nature of chasing clicks and the algorithm makes modern creatives have to update super regularly if they aren't making $$$ from patreon so there's no real room for something to take time for superior quality.

emily carroll and yeah k6bd loving rules. ten earth shattering blows whips rear end too

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

How much of a loser do you have to be to get this worked up over a kid's cartoon? Get a life, you loving freak.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

idk what else pete abrams does, but sluggy freelance is still running on the same interface and even the art has not changed

25 Aug 1997

14 Apr 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Technically a webcomic, the new Nancy has also been great.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

idk what else pete abrams does, but sluggy freelance is still running on the same interface and even the art has not changed

25 Aug 1997

14 Apr 2022

Honestly, I've been reading through Sluggy Freelance with friends, as someone who hasn't tried to read it in years, and I've enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Annointed posted:

Honestly just kind of want the Climax already. I don't think Tom Siddell should do another 20 years of slow burn comic.

Siddell is also recently married and about to have his first child, so there's probably plenty of incentive to wrap Gunnerkrigg Court up relatively soon. His wife, for the record, is Magnolia Porter of Bob White and Monster Pulse fame, and she also wrapped Monster Pulse up last year for much the same reason.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

pentyne posted:

John Allison's been a pretty successful webcomics guy, he's had several comics series set in his universe published and even won an Eisner. He's still making comics to this day. I think it's partially due to being willing to shift from one set of protagonists or settings when he's reached a good stopping point. Although there are one or two characters who tend to sneak back in (looking at you, Desmond Fishman).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Desmond isn’t so much a character as a curse

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Solitair posted:

Honestly, I've been reading through Sluggy Freelance with friends, as someone who hasn't tried to read it in years, and I've enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

Sluggy Freelance reminds me a lot of a TV Soap Opera. Serialized high drama that's cyclical and lacks lasting consequences.

Which, I mean, I fell off reading it more than a decade ago, but that seems like a solid recipe for keeping a comic running for 25 years.

Edit: I do appreciate how early-to-mid aughts all these websites look when I go back to check out old comics.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 18, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

pentyne posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons already got mentioned and so did Ten Earth Shattering Blows, but I also like Tiger, Tiger, which does compromise a touch on smaller pages and black and white to deliver more regular updates and is still visually exciting and sharply written.

nine-gear crow posted:

Siddell is also recently married and about to have his first child, so there's probably plenty of incentive to wrap Gunnerkrigg Court up relatively soon. His wife, for the record, is Magnolia Porter of Bob White and Monster Pulse fame, and she also wrapped Monster Pulse up last year for much the same reason.

She just started a new comic that seems to be about smooching your pokemon though, so I guess some people can't get off Mr. Bones' Wild Ride.

Yvonmukluk posted:

John Allison's been a pretty successful webcomics guy, he's had several comics series set in his universe published and even won an Eisner. He's still making comics to this day. I think it's partially due to being willing to shift from one set of protagonists or settings when he's reached a good stopping point. Although there are one or two characters who tend to sneak back in (looking at you, Desmond Fishman).

Due to certain transitive properties, every comic he writes inevitably transforms at least one protagonist into A Shelley if Shelley herself does not eventually show up in it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Muted was really good and lasted exactly as long as it needed to to tell a well-paced story

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do love Ian who did RPG World (which was one of my favorite comics back in the day) finished the series in OK KO!.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Jake Wyatt's always been a professional comic artist. He dabbles in Necropolis off and on between jobs (which does mean the comic will never be properly finished, like most webcomics professionals do as a side-project.) There have been a lot of webcomic people who jumped into other work though. Meredith Gran is a professor of comics now and finishing up a video game. Ryan North, Chris Hastings, and Brian Clevinger all made the jump into "mainstream" comic writing. There's also just the huge swath of kids who start making webcomics in college and then graduate and never have the time to finish them.
I suppose that's something I find so interesting about Andrew Hussie. He was part of the same circle of creators as Ryan North, Chris Hastings, and KC Green, but while he briefly became a much bigger success than them with Homestuck, it is difficult to imagine him having a more conventional work-for-hire career in comics. Like, if you put Hussie on a comedic Marvel book, in short order he would joke about how much superheroes suck, eviscerate the book's premise, then wander off in his own Hussian (Hussnastian?) direction, and Marvel editorial would hate it and fire him. This critique put best: there's a hilarious brilliance to Hussie's style, but he hits the same beats so consistently that you get the sense that he can't do anything else, that he can't be anything other than himself.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I feel like that critique kind of aggrandizes Hussie's work more than it should, but I do think it's hits on something: Hussie is not necessarily an amazing writer or artist, but they were very good at spinning whatever they did to their advantage. It's the "fake it 'til you make it" concept taken to its logical extreme: It doesn't matter what the content you're producing is, the important thing is how you spin it and if you wrap yourself up in enough layers of detached irony you'll never have to justify your mistakes to your audience.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Honestly it was pretty impressive how long Hussie kept up the general quality since it was clear he had nothing but a basic outline of the plot and was largely writing by the seat of his pants.

It’s then not terribly surprising things started to dip in the Act that introduced an element that believe Hussie said wasn’t part of the original story (the alpha kids).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
When I think Homestuck, having never read it and knowing nothing about the actual comic, all I think is the fandom that was as "tumblr" as you can get in derogatory terms.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

The Chad Jihad posted:

Lore Olympus is godawful so it makes sense it would be hated

You just hate true love!*

* true love meaning a 40-50 something year old rich dude hitting on his possibly underage employee.

Lore Nonces makes my skin crawl and the only people who have any excuse for finding anything worthwhile about it are pre-teens who literally don't have any frame of reference for just how loving toxic the relationships shown are

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

DeafNote posted:

I regret to admit that I was way into Megatokyo as a dumb teen.

Now the only comic I follow is OOTS, which helpfully reminds me of the glory days when 8bit theater still existed. (and to a lesser extent; Bob & George)

I think I had just started to grow past the weeb phase of life to get tired of Megatokyo really quickly, especially when the webcomic was already into "I'm out of ideas" as a meta-joke only a few months in.

Besides, everyone knows webcomics peaked with Boston and Shaun.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Pants Donkey posted:

Honestly it was pretty impressive how long Hussie kept up the general quality since it was clear he had nothing but a basic outline of the plot and was largely writing by the seat of his pants.

It’s then not terribly surprising things started to dip in the Act that introduced an element that believe Hussie said wasn’t part of the original story (the alpha kids).

I'm pretty sure Hussie was able to keep up the pace *because* he was writing by the seat of his pants and the more he swerved the plot the more the fans were happy to construct elaborate fan theory boards about how deep it was.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

stillvisions posted:

I'm pretty sure Hussie was able to keep up the pace *because* he was writing by the seat of his pants and the more he swerved the plot the more the fans were happy to construct elaborate fan theory boards about how deep it was.

Truly he was the first Elon Musk

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

stillvisions posted:

It's kinda interesting, I dropped off Homestuck a bit before its mega-hiatus and never got back on, but honestly for a good while Hussie had a knack for paying off his foreshadowing/weird poo poo fans were speculating on without readers getting disappointed. That's kind of what I feel separates his kind of 'making poo poo up' from a lot of popular media created with that process - you often get few real payoffs or any idea that they know where they're going about anything. If anything with Hussie I more got the sense that he could have easily wrapped it up in a satisfying way multiple different times, and each time just decided to go 'nah gently caress that I'm gonna expand this poo poo' and would just add more bloat, not because it was all that hard to navigate to an ending but because he clearly didn't want to.

As mentioned eventually the bloat went too far, and to me it felt like the story got too derailed in referencing and in many ways making fun of/making GBS threads on itself and the fandom culture around it. Somewhat deserved to be sure, but a satisfying story it does not make, and it really didn't need so many characters. That was probably my biggest issue, just never stopped adding characters.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think we’ve been over this to death, but Homestuck built up a lot of things and failed to pay off either at all in a satisfactory manner. Stuff like Karkat becoming a leader/his faith in Alternia’s society or the alpha/beta kids meeting up being hastily dumped in the last panels before the end instead of playing out more organically over the course of Act 6 are why the whole thing felt like it ended with such a whimper. All the meta jokes about character arcs in the world won’t stop your story from sagging because the bulk of your cast ended with narrative dead ends.

Still, it’s hard to fault Hussie for wanting the drat thing done at that point, because it likely would have taken another 2-3 years for it to end in a way that felt properly paced and well-written.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

even hussie himself didn't expect or really want homestuck to be as big as it ended up being, iirc he went on record multiple times saying that he had something else planned once homestuck was done with and that homestuck had originally just meant to be a like. warmup. something he was doing to get prepared for the bigger thing he had in mind. wonder if we'll ever see what that other thing would've been (or will be, if he decides to make something bigger than like. psycholonials)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Reminder that Sarah Z made two very good videos about Homestuck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohFyOjfcLWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsM9bQvpt_c

Based on the second video, it sounds like Hussie went entirely up his own rear end during the tail end of Homestuck and is still stuck there.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
For those interested in a deep, deep dive into Hamsteak, I highly recommend the ongoing read-and-analyse podcast Homestuck Made This World, featuring Cam and Michael from Ranged Touch. They use a lot of critical theory and the archived SA thread to chart the rise and infinite feature-creep of the comic, and how the fandom grew and changed, and how Hussie reacted to everything. It's pretty insightful and the pair aren't too shy to say "wow this sucks" or "this is really interesting".

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

I think we’ve been over this to death, but Homestuck built up a lot of things and failed to pay off either at all in a satisfactory manner. Stuff like Karkat becoming a leader/his faith in Alternia’s society or the alpha/beta kids meeting up being hastily dumped in the last panels before the end instead of playing out more organically over the course of Act 6 are why the whole thing felt like it ended with such a whimper. All the meta jokes about character arcs in the world won’t stop your story from sagging because the bulk of your cast ended with narrative dead ends.

Still, it’s hard to fault Hussie for wanting the drat thing done at that point, because it likely would have taken another 2-3 years for it to end in a way that felt properly paced and well-written.

To me by time the first generation of alien kids get introduced we're already at the point where Hussie has paid off a lot of stuff and could have been looking towards ending it. Another point obviously being before he starts clusterfucking it up with another bazillion characters a couple chapters later. Basically most of the stuff that neither got payoffs nor could have gotten them if he didn't want to co-opt them into all the new stuff, was introduced with Alternia.

E: tbh I am probably more rose-colored in my glasses than most readers because I kinda lost interest and wandered off before the real dumb poo poo happened so Hussie never got to ruin my nostalgia, like quitting GoT before the last few seasons or something

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 18, 2022

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i want andrew hussie and tite kubo to collaborate. i want to see what clusterfuck would come from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pants Donkey posted:

It does feel like it became apparent around the time we got to the alpha kids it had become clear that what the bulk of the fans were interested in (the characters, the world) was not what Hussie was interested in which was exploring meta as a concept.