Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

it's actually insane to spend 200 hours over two weeks doing sometihng you don't enjoy as a leisure activity.

assuming you get 6 hours of sleep a day that leaves you with 52 hours in that two week period not playing the game

like just walk away, and play something else. your steam backlog will thank you for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

sebmojo posted:

it's actually insane to spend 200 hours over two weeks doing sometihng you don't enjoy as a leisure activity.

So tell me more about being a mod

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

K8.0 posted:

MGS V could be harder, but it's fairly easy to make it harder. Just play nonlethal and don't fulton guys until you've cleared the camp. It's still not that hard, but it does put more pressure on you.

I totally disagree that a game has to be hard to be good. If the mechanics are excellent at every level, it'll be fun. MGS V is easily the best stealth game ever made. It's just a shame that there isn't more of it. I don't think many people have played it and not enjoyed it, but if you play GZ and then TPP, it's clear that the effort that went into things like multiplayer, mother base/progression, and the open world would have been much better spent making more GZ-like content. Kojima mismanaged the enormous amount of time and money he spent on the game very badly, but the actual game design blows away all his prior MGS work.

It doesn't need to be hard, it needs to give you literally any reason to use the plethora of tools at your disposal. Ground Zeroes still wasn't quite there, but at least tried. Limited weapons and equipment, patrols that overlapped more often plus (scripted) shift changes with a dense and varied environment plus limited evacuation routes.

The UX is perfect. Everything about the feel is 10/10. But the level and encounter design is the worst it's been, even worse than Peace Walker. MGS has never been a great stealth series - its strengths were always elsewhere - but TPP is like playing Splinter Cell Conviction after playing Blacklist, but because of the series name and strength of presentation, it keeps up the charade that it's better than it is until you break that illusion by pushing it even slightly.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Waste of Breath posted:

ok, yep

yeah, i felt that one

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It doesn't need to be hard, it needs to give you literally any reason to use the plethora of tools at your disposal. Ground Zeroes still wasn't quite there, but at least tried. Limited weapons and equipment, patrols that overlapped more often plus (scripted) shift changes with a dense and varied environment plus limited evacuation routes.

The UX is perfect. Everything about the feel is 10/10. But the level and encounter design is the worst it's been, even worse than Peace Walker. MGS has never been a great stealth series - its strengths were always elsewhere - but TPP is like playing Splinter Cell Conviction after playing Blacklist, but because of the series name and strength of presentation, it keeps up the charade that it's better than it is until you break that illusion by pushing it even slightly.

Yeah this is true. The gameplay of MGS5 is amazing and it feels great to play, but it's very much harmed by the open world design. There's just not many locations where stealth is needed or optimal, because it's so open and none of the buildings or towns really stand out -that- much. Ground Zeroes was basically the opposite and it ruled. But it's really hard to have a stealth game without good levels designed for stealth.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Waste of Breath posted:

Lol

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Waste of Breath posted:

:vince:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I genuinely don't understand what this means. If it feels good to play, how is it a bad game?

Some people seem to have the perspective that "if I enjoyed the first 45 hours but then hated the way they wrapped it up in the last 30 minutes it was a bad game"

Like they treat games as a destination and not a journey, and review only based on what destination they ended up at without paying attention to whether it was any good in the intervening journey before that.

If I enjoy most of my time playing a game but then it has a really bad final boss, or requires an annoying collectathon or gimmick run for 100% achievements, I'll still recommend it as a good game, just with a caveat that that one thing is bad and you shouldn't bother going for the secret giga ultra final boss challenge.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Some people seem to have the perspective that "if I enjoyed the first 45 hours but then hated the way they wrapped it up in the last 30 minutes it was a bad game"

Like they treat games as a destination and not a journey, and review only based on what destination they ended up at without paying attention to whether it was any good in the intervening journey before that.

If I enjoy most of my time playing a game but then it has a really bad final boss, or requires an annoying collectathon or gimmick run for 100% achievements, I'll still recommend it as a good game, just with a caveat that that one thing is bad and you shouldn't bother going for the secret giga ultra final boss challenge.

Me vs Metal Gear Survive, a weird delightful game before it gets tedious. Writing a review is tough when the bad memories are freshest though.

HungryHungryHobo
Jan 4, 2020
I finished Days Gone and I felt like there was going to be some unreliable narrator/Deacon is imagining everything reveal because the story was so disjointed that it felt like a fever dream. Things happened out of order, things that hadn't happened yet were referenced and I don't even know what happened at the end. Skizzo cut Weaver's throat during a cutscene and it said Weaver died and then Weaver was standing on top of his own corpse and lived I guess. I thought that was confirmation of something going on but apparently not.

Despite all that I did have a lot of fun with it. The gunplay felt really good and I want a war game that plays like it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah like Dark Souls 1 has the problem in that it’s past quarter of the game is notoriously unfinished and has some terrible choices because of it but I still think it’s a good game.

Just a good game with big flaws

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If a game displeases you, mod it.
This is the power of pc gaming.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If a game displeases you, mod it.
This is the power of pc gaming.

if you meet the buddga in the road, mod him to have giant floppy titties lmao

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bubbha

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Xander77 posted:

I've got 9000 hours in Team Fortress 2, and about 2000 of them are actual playtime. Still wouldn't recommend TF2 to anyone.

How on earth does someone rack up that many hours of unplayed time in a game? Is there some kind of benefit to idling that and wasting all that electricity and wear and tear on a PC?

HungryHungryHobo
Jan 4, 2020

Majin posted:

How on earth does someone rack up that many hours of unplayed time in a game? Is there some kind of benefit to idling that and wasting all that electricity and wear and tear on a PC?

hats

edit:
fun story about the early tf2 hat days

The Simpsons warned us that people will go crazy for new hats and Valve capitalized on it. TF2 had cosmetic hats that would rarely drop while playing the game. So people would just idle for hats. Then people started using a program that made the game think it was running so they could still collect hats while not even playing it.

In response Valve released a special "Halo" hat for people who did not abuse the program to idle. The people who did not receive the hat made it very clear that they did not care about it and even released a custom model of the halo with a homophobic slur spelled out to show how little they cared.

HungryHungryHobo fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 18, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

At some point I ran SAM for months on end idling in 5-10 different Steam games simultaneously to farm TF2 hats and cards from various other games and earned a bunch of free valve bucks which kept me buying games during my broke and unemployed phase in my early 20s :allears:

Except now if you go to my profile and sort games by playtime it shows hundreds of hours in tons of games I only actually touched for maybe an hour, and to this day Steam still recommends me games based on my playtime in games I never actually played.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Majin posted:

Let me tell you about the halcyon days of 2009 and Drunken Fool, the man who made a text program that allowed you to simulate idling without ever running the game.

Now you see... it was 2009, and a dude made an idling program. Which I ran for several months without pause, because it didn't take up any meaningful resources. The end.

More info here:
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Idling

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have never played a game where this happened

This perfectly describes Twelve Minutes. You’re trying to unravel a mystery and the twist turns out to be so awful it retroactively makes everything worse. When the credits rolled I felt like I’d been trolled.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Also reminder that TF2 hat trading used to be used for Russian money laundering lmao

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tiramisu posted:

This perfectly describes Twelve Minutes. You’re trying to unravel a mystery and the twist turns out to be so awful it retroactively makes everything worse. When the credits rolled I felt like I’d been trolled.

Okay a game like that we’re the mystery is the payoff I completely understand

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sloppy posted:

I haven't played it in 10+ either, what did they do to it?

I didn't even really like it that much back then despite spending a few hundred hours on it, I was just trying to fill an Enemy-Territory shaped void in my heart.
Aside from the general deterioration of the game's spirit due to a decade of loot box cosmetics, the main one is unchecked botting/hacking (I literally could not find a community server without an auto-sniping bot on both teams). They also did something to the engine since launch so everything looks duller and in some cases, the map lighting looks wrong. It just feels abandoned.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Also reminder that TF2 hat trading used to be used for Russian money laundering lmao

The third party trading sites still exist so there's probably still a lot of money laundering. So long as Steam provides an api for other sites to sell in-game items, money laundering will take place. Steam did impose limits on what a new account can do though, so at least that method is so inconvenient that money launderers have moved onto other easier methods.

e: the other method being selling accounts

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 19, 2022

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

That's sad to hear, the TF2 stuff. I have great memories of the game and sometimes feel an itch to revisit it (specially after completely bouncing off Overwatch). What is the cool team shooter with CtF nowadays, anyway? That was always my fav since TFC's days.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Splitgate really scratched my UT99/TF2 itch for a while. When I played it a lot months ago they didn't have CTF but I think they do now? Admittedly CTF with portals is a little bit of a problematic concept but Oddball was a good replacement for me.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The big thing splitgate lacks that tf2 had is bigger teams. When you just wanna gently caress around in a big server and chill out or do dumb gimmicks or whatever, it's way more fun to be just one player out of 12 or 18. It seems like team-based shooters nowadays all want to focus on the tiny-team 4-to-6-players stuff which feels a lot worse to play casually, but I guess it's a lot easier to work with when your multiplayer is based on matchmaking instead of persistent servers.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

anyone with an 8bitdo pro 2 have an issue with steam detecting it as a ps4 controller and not an xbox controller? kind of annoying because some games want to have a trackpad button which the 8bitdo doesnt have. its connecting as xinput so you think steam would say oh yeah xbox, but for some dumb reason its giving it a ps4 assignement.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Team Fortress 3 will probably come out one of these days so you could just wait for that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Who's gonna reboot the far superior Weapons Factory Arena

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

queeb posted:

anyone with an 8bitdo pro 2 have an issue with steam detecting it as a ps4 controller and not an xbox controller? kind of annoying because some games want to have a trackpad button which the 8bitdo doesnt have. its connecting as xinput so you think steam would say oh yeah xbox, but for some dumb reason its giving it a ps4 assignement.

What does https://gamepad-tester.com/ report?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've never had as much fun in a game as I had playing Medic in TF2 back in the day. Everything about it just came together perfectly. The voice work was great in that game.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

tf2 is fine and all but give me super monday night combat again. sure, the characters and voices weren't as good but dang that game was fun

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Octopath Traveler was one of those games that I realised I didn't enjoy only in retrospect (and before I finished it), and I can still see myself going back to it to give it another chance only to hate it again just because everyone else inexplicably loves it.

It wasn't a 100-hours-in-a-week addiction for me at least, but I spent the entire time thinking "if I push through this part I'll finally get to the good parts" that just never came, so I can sympathise.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

queeb posted:

I have 8bitdo Pro 2 and Steam detects it as an Xbox One controller. You might need to update its firmware or something? You can downware the firmware updater thingy here

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

queeb posted:

trackpad button which the 8bitdo doesnt have.

Dunno how to fix it but if you can't, that button translates to start and select.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

from gamepad tester, which is good enough for me aside from steam thinking its ps4.

so weird.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i have the same controller and it behaved real fuckin bizarre until i unticked ps config support in the general controller settings, have you tried that?

(edit) in here; for me it worked best to only check Generic config at the bottom

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 19, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

TIL long after the fact that Shovel Knight Treasure Trove has a Battletoads crossover level

:ohno: <-- me quitting the game to go to bed instead

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Ciaphas posted:

TIL long after the fact that Shovel Knight Treasure Trove has a Battletoads crossover level

:ohno: <-- me quitting the game to go to bed instead

That's pure nightmare fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://howtomarketagame.com/2022/04/18/what-genres-are-popular-on-steam-in-2022/

Steam genre popularity vs estimated earnings for 2019 to 2022 period.

Roguelike Deckbuilders and 4X games sell like hotcakes despite barely anyone making them.