Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Which is absolute balls because watertight doors in that era were not made of brass, they were made of the same steel the rest of the hull was made of. It's a bizarre anecdote that keeps turning up because some credulous journalist wrote it down once and equally credulous historians who've never been in a boat bigger than a canoe believed it.

In my defence i heard it from Drachinifel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Just Another Lurker posted:

In my defence i heard it from Drachinifel.

Oh, it's been repeated by reputable historians because it appeared in a book by Arnold White, a journalist closely connected to the Royal Navy of the time. Problem is that it's still absolute horseshit if you've been around real watertight doors. I mean not even as a sailor, I was a volunteer at a museum ship and just had to open and close the things, but it would take real, ridiculous effort to polish a steel door until it was no longer watertight. I suspect it was either a sailor exaggerating for effect that White believed or he got his facts wrong, because as Crab Dad said you can probably gently caress up smaller things like portholes or fittings that way, just not a loving watertight door.

When did Drach say this? He follows me on Twitter so maybe I can yell at him about it.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 19, 2022

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
You could polish the dogs so much they dont hold the door closed any longer

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It’s time to play which one is an active duty warship and which is a museum warship deactivated 30 years ago!

There’s no prize.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lightpole posted:

You could polish the dogs so much they dont hold the door closed any longer

In theory yeah, but it would still take a psychotic amount of time and effort.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’ve seen dogs so worn down they no longer touched the wedge pads and we had to add washers to make them touch. They are consumables.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

Does Metasploit not have ICS modules built in? Never had the need to dig all that deep into what comes pre-loaded.

No, other than a handful of community-published academic/demonstrative exploits. Mostly because the protocols and the equipment used are too esoteric in nature. Once you get outside of PLC or SCADA-based control systems and into applications like process automation, the vendors become much more protective of both the controllers and the protocol specifications. So there's some modules out there for basic open standards like modbus or DNP3 controllers/RTUs, but not for anything vendor proprietary.

The control systems themselves are also very sensitive to active penetration tests, which limits the practical uses of metasploit. I've watched a simple nmap scan reboot a line of HMIs and controllers in a customer's facility before.

psydude fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 19, 2022

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Crab Dad posted:

It’s time to play which one is an active duty warship and which is a museum warship deactivated 30 years ago!

There’s no prize.

They probably had to replace those dog arms for certification or whatever for the museum ship. Thats a protective coating of iron oxide protecting the hinge spacers on that active duty vessel.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Oh, it's been repeated by reputable historians because it appeared in a book by Arnold White, a journalist closely connected to the Royal Navy of the time. Problem is that it's still absolute horseshit if you've been around real watertight doors. I mean not even as a sailor, I was a volunteer at a museum ship and just had to open and close the things, but it would take real, ridiculous effort to polish a steel door until it was no longer watertight. I suspect it was either a sailor exaggerating for effect that White believed or he got his facts wrong, because as Crab Dad said you can probably gently caress up smaller things like portholes or fittings that way, just not a loving watertight door.

When did Drach say this? He follows me on Twitter so maybe I can yell at him about it.

Pretty sure it was in one of the Drydock episodes (194 and counting). :ohdear:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

lightpole posted:

Thats a protective coating of iron oxide protecting the hinge spacers on that active duty vessel.

You're shitposting, right? I thought that was only a thing with aluminum.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crab Dad posted:

I’ve seen dogs so worn down they no longer touched the wedge pads and we had to add washers to make them touch. They are consumables.

I believe you 100%. But were they the result of excessive spit and polish or ordinary wear and tear?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

My sense of things was that the mania for rigid discipline and superficial efficiency in the Victorian RN had its most damaging effects on the ability of subordinates to adapt and improvise as circumstances changed. Instead, they became unthinking conduits for the orders of their superiors. This led to the loss of HMS Victoria in a collision that multiple senior officers saw coming and nobody saw fit to correct for fear of pissing off the admiral in charge.

The sinking occurred in the Mediterranean, so if I recall correctly Victoria's water tight doors were open for ventilation and not leaking because of excessive polish or something equally silly.

But I could be wrong too. This is not my area of expertise.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fearless posted:

My sense of things was that the mania for rigid discipline and superficial efficiency in the Victorian RN had its most damaging effects on the ability of subordinates to adapt and improvise as circumstances changed. Instead, they became unthinking conduits for the orders of their superiors. This led to the loss of HMS Victoria in a collision that multiple senior officers saw coming and nobody saw fit to correct for fear of pissing off the admiral in charge.

The sinking occurred in the Mediterranean, so if I recall correctly Victoria's water tight doors were open for ventilation and not leaking because of excessive polish or something equally silly.

Victoria's watertight doors failed because the force of the collision bent the bulkheads out of shape so that they couldn't close at all. There were other incidents where drainage and pumping systems in warships were found to be jammed up with crud because they weren't cleaned properly or watertight bulkheads ruined by having holes drilled in them so conduits and cables could be run through them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

They probably had to replace those dog arms for certification or whatever for the museum ship. Thats a protective coating of iron oxide protecting the hinge spacers on that active duty vessel.

I hate you.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

You have never been in uniform have you

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ISW's still not convinced that Russia has concentrated enough troops and equipment to do much in the Donbass. Basically, if they do manage to achieve their goals, it'll be by sending wave after wave of their own men at them. Ukraine has substantially more troops and equipment in the east than they did around Kyiv, and we all saw how that ended up.

It's also worth bringing up again that Russia has committed almost every active duty Army unit to Ukraine in some fashion at this point, and still has nothing to show for it other than a bunch of war crimes, a completely destroyed major city, and a newly commissioned artificial reef.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-april-18

quote:

Russian forces began a new phase of large-scale offensive operations in eastern Ukraine on April 18 likely intended to capture the entirety of Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts. Russian forces have been concentrating reinforcements—including both newly-deployed units and damaged units withdrawn from northeastern Ukraine—to the Donbas axis for several weeks. Russian forces conducted large-scale assaults focused on Rubizhne, Popasna, and Marinka with heavy artillery support on April 18 after previously conducting only localized attacks and shelling along the line of contact. Russian forces have not secured any major territorial gains as of publication.

The Russian offensive in the east is unlikely to be dramatically more successful than previous Russian offensives, but Russian forces may be able to wear down Ukrainian defenders or achieve limited gains. Russian forces did not take the operational pause that was likely necessary to reconstitute and properly integrate damaged units withdrawn from northeastern Ukraine into operations in eastern Ukraine. As we have assessed previously, Russian forces withdrawn from around Kyiv and going back to fight in Donbas have, at best, been patched up and filled out with soldiers from other damaged units, and the Russian military has few, if any, cohesive units not previously deployed to Ukraine to funnel into new operations.[1] Frequent reports of disastrously low Russian morale and continuing logistics challenges indicate the effective combat power of Russian units in eastern Ukraine is a fraction of their on-paper strength in numbers of battalion tactical groups (BTGs). Russian forces may certainly be able to wear down Ukrainian positions in eastern Ukraine through the heavy concentration of firepower and sheer weight of numbers, but likely at a high cost. A sudden and dramatic Russian offensive success remains highly unlikely, however, and Ukrainian tactical losses would not spell the end of the campaign in eastern Ukraine, much less the war as a whole.

psydude fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 19, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

psydude posted:

ISW's still not convinced that Russia has concentrated enough troops and equipment to do much in the Donbass. Basically, if they do manage to achieve their goals, it'll be by sending wave after wave of their own men at them.

I believe you will find this is a racist misconception

also punishment battalions are not a real thing (all russian army is punishment army)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

also punishment battalions are not a real thing (all russian army is punishment army)

I can't tell if you're joking, or if you've just never seen Futurama.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

which futurama

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The episode I pulled that quote from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF3g4Ua5e7k

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ah, I recall the clip now, but I haven't watched Futurama in its entirety

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

You have never been in uniform have you

I just remembered the time I spent a whole week on my hands and knees scraping up excess floor wax from the corners of all the floors in the barracks using a disposable razor.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Fearless posted:

I just read that account this morning on the train ride into the office in the book 'Dreadnaught' by Robert Massie. Awful thing. Everyone knew that following the admiral's order would lead to catastrophy, but it was more important to do what one was told than to think for themselves.

I also liked the account that gunnery was frowned upon in the RN during the latter half of the 19th century. Why? Because that would get the ships dirty. Ships when ordered to conduct gunnery drills would sail off over the horizon and just dump the rounds into the ocean rather than fire the guns.

During the siege of Alexandria in the 1880s the RN fired over 3000 rounds at a coastal fortress.

They scored 10 hits.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 19, 2022

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Quackles posted:

You're shitposting, right? I thought that was only a thing with aluminum.

It's probably a joke, although iron (II) oxide will act as a protective coating that prevents the iron (III) oxide which is in the picture.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

lol if true

lol if false
https://twitter.com/ChuckPfarrer/status/1515387635606319106?s=20&t=_aO_vwW5QV9Q6fqdFuwyrw

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
That would be amazingly funny if true. Neckbeards ain't so tough when Ukrainian gunships come after them.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
All I see is talibanmountainfortress.gif

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Seems extremely false. The power grid attack was executed by SANDWORM, which is a GRU unit based out of Moscow. They'd have no reason to forward deploy units near the border to carry out that kind of campaign.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What's the source of this? Is this chuckles account the originator?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
A Navy SEAL screenwriter with a bestselling book.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

60 minutes had a series of good interviews with people who know what they're talking about regarding Russian cyberwarfare: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/russia-cyberattacks-60-minutes-2022-04-17/

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, I mean, I'm not a military historian, but I imagine computer warfare is going something like aircraft did at first. It starts out LOL, then some folks figure out how to use it effectively at small scale because there's not much funding, then there'll be a significant thing that it does, and finally it'll be seen as a crucial part of a military force.

I'm pulling that whole progression out of my rear end, though. I should read a book.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Alan Smithee posted:

ah, I recall the clip now, but I haven't watched Futurama in its entirety

That's the correct way to watch Futurama

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

psydude posted:

Seems extremely false. The power grid attack was executed by SANDWORM, which is a GRU unit based out of Moscow. They'd have no reason to forward deploy units near the border to carry out that kind of campaign.

Was this the same attack that got traced directly to GRU HQ a few years back?
Someone didnt properly cover their tracks iirc.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Some interesting commentary from Jon Parshall, co-author of Shattered Sword, on the loss of Moskva:

quote:

A lot of interest continues to be shown in Moskva's demise, and there are some illuminating analyses running around out there from various folks (Tom Cooper's is excellent). So I'll just try to paraphrase what I've been reading out there.

There's been a lot of scuttlebutt regarding Moskva's damage control capabilities, and this internal plan of the ship says a lot. Basically, her main damage control center was in the space directly between her two main machinery spaces. In other words, very close to where she got clobbered. It's unknown whether the initial hit(s) also took out her propulsion along with her main DC center, but let's just say the prognosis wouldn't be good. If her engines go offline right at the outset, that's very bad news from a pumping standpoint, obviously (and pumps are used both to control flooding *and* to power fire-fighting hoses). Furthermore, every indication we have is that the ship never knew what hit her. Her main SAM radars are all trained fore and aft, meaning they didn't engage the incoming targets, and might not have even detected them. Which, in turn, means that her crew wasn't in any way ready for the catastrophe that overtook her.

Think about what that must have been like for most of the crew. The first indication you have that something's wrong is hearing the explosion. Then all the lights go out, the ship is pitch black, and the corridors start filling with smoke. And now you need to get to your action stations and start trying to save the ship. If you're not well-trained, or don't know your way around the vessel in the dark, you start off the game at a huge disadvantage. And again, thorough training is something that seems to have gone by the boards for a lot of the Russian military.

According to Tom, an observer who was on board the ship a decade ago had a litany of bad things to say about Moskva's DC capabilities: equipment and hoses not well maintained, hose fittings painted over or ill-fitting or corroded, outdated personal firefighting and breathing gear, and DC equipment not decentralized in stations around the ship. The latter is particularly damning, in that redundancy is a key to survivability. Having lots of smaller damage control stations that can each contribute something to saving the vessel is a *much* better design solution than having one great big station with all the capabilities. Because "fluke hits" actually happen *all the time* in war!

The scale of the fire in the photos is sobering. It's pretty clear from the soot further aft on her hull that at one point Moskva was on fire internally all the way back to the helo hangar. In the close-up photo, we can also see fires still actively burning near her stack. The fact that the smoke is dark is indicative of heavy ongoing fires as well, which are burning things like fuels, paper, and plastics, and doing so incompletely. She's a mess. Shrewd observers have noted that the two streams of water being applied aft around the big, conical "Top Dome" fire control radar (on the aft superstructure) are actually coming from a salvage tug that is close aboard Moskva's starboard side. You can just see the tug's masts peeking out immediately to the right of the "Top Dome."

There's some speculation as to why the crew are not still actively fighting the fires when these pictures were taken. The helo deck is clear of smoke and cool. And though the ship is clearly down in the water, and has lost a fair amount of reserve buoyancy, she's in no danger of immediate sinking. So, it would seem that fire-fighting efforts by the crew could be ongoing, and there's actually been at least one expert who feels that the captain abandoned her too early. Then again, we don't know what her innards looked like at this point. And the presence of sixteen gigantic unexploded P-1000 missiles (and the sixteen tons of high explosive they collectively carried) located forward might certainly have given one pause. If those things start going off, you could very easily have a daisy-chain of lethal explosions that would slaughter any crew nearby, and potentially sink the ship immediately, thereby dooming a lot of the crew who might have escaped the explosions, but be located below decks.

Bottom line: live by the sword, die by the sword. Moskva was a very impressive ship, in that she was absolutely *packed* with fearsome-looking weapons. But the price of that, particularly if you make the mistake of centralizing your damage control capabilities near her radar center of mass, is that this is a "one-shot" warship. She's not designed to take a hit and keep on functioning. Instead, she's likely to burn to the waterline, which is roughly what we see happening.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Some interesting commentary from Jon Parshall, co-author of Shattered Sword, on the loss of Moskva:

Whoa that's interesting to hear from an expert, especially how they appeared to have zero warning.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

“Main SAM radars trained fore and aft”

There’s always another level of stupid going on here, somehow. Was this because they got distracted by the drone, or were they just not looking around at all? Would it have made a difference either way, or were their countermeasures as good as everything else we’ve seen so far?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Icon Of Sin posted:

“Main SAM radars trained fore and aft”

There’s always another level of stupid going on here, somehow. Was this because they got distracted by the drone, or were they just not looking around at all? Would it have made a difference either way, or were their countermeasures as good as everything else we’ve seen so far?

Target fixation is not just something that happens in World of Warships.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

However, we are watching the modern equivalent of “just throw bodies at the line” in that providing no time to refit and reorganize and sticking low morale troops into adhoc forces is essentially that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Murgos posted:

However, we are watching the modern equivalent of “just throw bodies at the line” in that providing no time to refit and reorganize and sticking low morale troops into adhoc forces is essentially that.

Mr. Racist over here pointing out Russia's contemporary strategy of feeding individual battalion tactical groups into the meat grinder.