Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This started out as a reproduction that was going to have an antiqued finish, but the designer wanted a more contemporary finish so I cerused it. I finished all the surfaces with hand tools, and I just love the surface that makes-definitely plan to do more of that in future when possible. For a more contemporary finish, I’m really happy with how it turned out and I learned a new trick.

Holy cow this is lovely. I spent too long staring at the first picture trying to figure out how the gatelegs work, before I saw the notch in the second picture. Can you tell more about the finish? I've never heard of it, and the black-and-white is really stunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Slugworth posted:

Y'all are into bookmatched stuff, right? I accidentally bookmatched my fence.

I'm a fine woodworker now.

Looks fine to me.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
That finish is amazing. Great job on the table!

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This started out as a reproduction that was going to have an antiqued finish, but the designer wanted a more contemporary finish so I cerused it. I finished all the surfaces with hand tools, and I just love the surface that makes-definitely plan to do more of that in future when possible. For a more contemporary finish, I’m really happy with how it turned out and I learned a new trick.

This is very nice, I've never seen a finish like that before.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It's not free but Fine Woodworking Unlimited has a ton of really great video stuff that's gotten me jazzed up.

I'd be interested to hear specifics of what's got you so jazzed up. I'm usually pretty skeptical of that kind of subscription, but would love to find something that's actually worth it.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watch Matthias' back catalog and sperg out building machines.

Got one of the jointer tables "done." Not really happy with it. I used spray adhesive to stick the aluminum sheet on and missed and couldn't reposition it. Then I had a mishap with the flush trim bit.

I've been attempting to use scraps which is why the table is shorter than planned anyway. As it is it will be 50" overall.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

CommonShore posted:

ah knobs and tool handles makes sense.

I'm just getting frustrated as I browse local auctions because I keep seeing listings for these drat little lathes.

That's basically all I ever made on my lathe and it took a load of space, so I sold it. I would buy a mini lathe for a new lathe. A tall headstock is more important so one can turn larger diameter stuff like bowls and seats. But otherwise I dislike turned features on furniture so I don't need a long lathe. I'd like a Swedish Lennartsfors.

I've had to use my metal lathe meanwhile when I wanted to do wood turning.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fortaleza posted:

Speaking of cabins and the woodworking that happens around/in them, I'm not sure how I missed this but Lost Art Press has a book all about Dick Proenneke and the various things he crafted to make his famous remote cabin more livable https://lostartpress.com/collections/all-books-1/products/the-handcrafted-life-of-dick-proenneke

This poo poo is like catnip to me I love it

<Museum curator puts hand-carved realdoll in a wooden crate>

"Your secret is safe with me Dick"

<Raiders of the lost arc end scene>

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

revtoiletduck posted:

I'd be interested to hear specifics of what's got you so jazzed up. I'm usually pretty skeptical of that kind of subscription, but would love to find something that's actually worth it.
The best part is being able to pretty easily search every Fine WoodWorking article ever written which is a huge resource of good, vetted knowledge. The video stuff is sort of a bonus, but it's all very well produced. The people they make videos of all absolutely know what they are doing and many of them teach woodworking professionally and explain things very well. They also all make furniture more or less the way I like to make furniture-with wood on wood joinery and in interesting designs, not pocket screwed river table No. 47. I'm sure something comparable to their videos exists on youtube but I get overwhelmed by the options. It's just really nice to find a little 1.5 hr video series from a guy who teaches sharpening professionally that answers every question I might have had about sharpening.

FWW can be a little over the top on doing things 'just so' and they do assume a certain amount of knowledge and equipment, but that's who their audience is. That can be a turn off for sure-they're almost never about the quick and easy way-but they do know what they're talking about.

ColdPie posted:

Holy cow this is lovely. I spent too long staring at the first picture trying to figure out how the gatelegs work, before I saw the notch in the second picture. Can you tell more about the finish? I've never heard of it, and the black-and-white is really stunning.
Thanks! It's not hard really, brush the grain with a wire brush, turn the wood black, put some white wax in the grain. I'm going to make some more samples and see if it comes out just as well on cheaper red oak. I'll take some pictures of that process and write a more detailed post soon.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

NomNomNom posted:

Got one of the jointer tables "done." Not really happy with it. I used spray adhesive to stick the aluminum sheet on and missed and couldn't reposition it. Then I had a mishap with the flush trim bit.

I've been attempting to use scraps which is why the table is shorter than planned anyway. As it is it will be 50" overall.

There's an old laminator trick you need to use, because it's so easy to gently caress up a costly piece you've spent an hour shaping in. We used to use those bowed window blind pieces and lay them along every 12" or so on the flat surface. Position the top piece where it's perfect, pull a stick out from one end and gently stick the top piece down at that point. Repeat. You can use any scrap that won't leave debris in the glue. Pieces of an old folding tape measure are good.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

CommonShore posted:

What the hell do people make with these little 12" lathes that I see for sale everywhere? Why is such a useless length the most common?

Artisanal butt plugs.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Artisanal butt plugs.

Lightweights.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Huxley posted:

If you are at all interested in luthiery or detail repair, this guy is wonderful. Just a guy in his shop shooting down at his hands while he does repairs and talks about business, safety, problem solving, finish repairing, design defects, mistake recovery, jig making, and such.

https://www.youtube.com/user/twoodfrd

Yeah, the algorithm led me to him and it's super interesting stuff. I think I appreciate his historical knowledge just as much as his luthiery skills

Rectal Placenta fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 16, 2022

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

NomNomNom posted:

Best answer.

(also nice job on the jointer build!)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I see there's a book about joinery in the OP but are there any recommended videos or more visual guides on the topic? I do 3d printing rather than woodworking but printing frequently works better with separate parts and so having a way to join pieces other than just gluing flat surfaces to each other is preferable. I've put a dovetail into one model but another requires basically putting two lengths of tube together end to end and dovetails would be suboptimal there I think.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I see there's a book about joinery in the OP but are there any recommended videos or more visual guides on the topic? I do 3d printing rather than woodworking but printing frequently works better with separate parts and so having a way to join pieces other than just gluing flat surfaces to each other is preferable. I've put a dovetail into one model but another requires basically putting two lengths of tube together end to end and dovetails would be suboptimal there I think.

Books on joinery are extremely thoroughly illustrated. Even Roubo's book from the 18th century is invaluable for its detailed and accurate illustrated plates.

I have Wearing's The Essential Woodworker on my table right now and it's 50% drawings.

If you want joinery videos, it's Paul Sellers every time.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Here's a fun playlist: Joint Venture https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGeGwvsTHKZ2IIbeGXwcvvMcg1u_kl4-j

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Japanese joinery is equal parts unnecessarily fussy and incredible craftsmanship, and I freaking love it.This very channel is what inspired me to get a new coffee table book last week: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0881791210/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_dl_X7ZRF2XR71QMDJZYYA7V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I was just gifted a 1950s era ShopSmith. Guess I should go on a journey of restoration and assembly.

Looks like it's got the assemblies for at least the table saw, lathe, and scroll saw.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

toplitzin posted:

I was just gifted a 1950s era ShopSmith. Guess I should go on a journey of restoration and assembly.

Looks like it's got the assemblies for at least the table saw, lathe, and scroll saw.

I've got a '90s Shopsmith Mark V. Even the newer ones had pretty crappy table saw function, imo. The lathe is good. The scroll saw is probably good.

Bandsaw attachments are usually available fairly cheaply and do a p. good job.

Post pics, I like to see other Shopsmiths.

Edit:

I'm looking at another auction of "reclaimed oak beams." I got burned on my last auction lot of "oak" that ended up being garbage wood. It was aged and I couldn't tell until I planed it.

I'm thinking of trying again, does this look like oak to you folks?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 19, 2022

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I am an idiot, I plan out this miter saw station and start working on it only to realize I forgot about the extra depth need to attach my shop vac to back of the saw. This would be so much easier if I wasn’t in a garage full of crap.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Calidus posted:

I am an idiot, I plan out this miter saw station and start working on it only to realize I forgot about the extra depth need to attach my shop vac to back of the saw. This would be so much easier if I wasn’t in a garage full of crap.

Depending on how badly you miscalculated you might be able to at least partially fix it with an angle adapter.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

meatpimp posted:

I've got a '90s Shopsmith Mark V. Even the newer ones had pretty crappy table saw function, imo. The lathe is good. The scroll saw is probably good.

Edit:

I'm looking at another auction of "reclaimed oak beams." I got burned on my last auction lot of "oak" that ended up being garbage wood. It was aged and I couldn't tell until I planed it.

It’s real hard to tell much from those pictures, but at first glance, no, it does not look like oak. It’s pretty hard to even say if it is a hardwood or softwood, or if it is all even the same species. Some boards look different colors from others.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

meatpimp posted:

Edit:

If you put a gun to my head and forced me to guess I'd say fir

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I have learned firsthand why hickory is a synonym for being hard and ornery.

All but the thinnest of bites along the grain with a router just splinters out like crazy. One one hand it makes for a really textured and varied finish but goddamn a simple chamfer is just all over the place.

That and sanding it is hard as balls. I think once I use up the hickory boards I have I won't get more. As pretty as it can be, it's so hard to work with that it's not really worth the trouble for me.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

El Spamo posted:

That and sanding it is hard as balls.

For wood hard enough for sanding to be a pain I'll do the first few grits with a belt sander instead of an orbital since it's so much faster. Probably doesn't help for little stuff/details, though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It’s real hard to tell much from those pictures, but at first glance, no, it does not look like oak. It’s pretty hard to even say if it is a hardwood or softwood, or if it is all even the same species. Some boards look different colors from others.

CommonShore posted:

If you put a gun to my head and forced me to guess I'd say fir

Thanks, it's 20 miles away, not worth the risk and gas to find out.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Wallet posted:

For wood hard enough for sanding to be a pain I'll do the first few grits with a belt sander instead of an orbital since it's so much faster. Probably doesn't help for little stuff/details, though.

Actually, the higher grits work great and the wood becomes smooth as hell but yeah those initial grits just barely get any material off. It kinda feels like I'm polishing metal more so than sanding wood.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

El Spamo posted:

I have learned firsthand why hickory is a synonym for being hard and ornery.

All but the thinnest of bites along the grain with a router just splinters out like crazy. One one hand it makes for a really textured and varied finish but goddamn a simple chamfer is just all over the place.

That and sanding it is hard as balls. I think once I use up the hickory boards I have I won't get more. As pretty as it can be, it's so hard to work with that it's not really worth the trouble for me.

Yeah, we put hickory floors in our kitchen. I spent a whole day sanding on 60 grit and still have a few low spots I missed. It is really pretty though, I made this salt cellar as a gift this past Christmas using leftover floorboards.

e: Also—try a card scraper instead of sanding

korora fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 19, 2022

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I have heard really good things about card scrapers, but the maintenance on them is putting me off trying one out. I'm a bit deficient on sharpening skills, I rely on power tools a great deal and should probably develop hand-tool skills at some point here.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

meatpimp posted:

Thanks, it's 20 miles away, not worth the risk and gas to find out.

I choose to read this as you refusing to drive 20 miles to put a gun to his head.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

El Spamo posted:

Actually, the higher grits work great and the wood becomes smooth as hell but yeah those initial grits just barely get any material off. It kinda feels like I'm polishing metal more so than sanding wood.

I recall using a belt sander on rock maple in shop class and producing a shower of sparks.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

meatpimp posted:

Edit:

Not oak or ash, I'd lean toward maple or a fruitwood- long shot, cherry. Doesn't look like any fir or pine I've ever seen.

El Spamo posted:

I have heard really good things about card scrapers, but the maintenance on them is putting me off trying one out. I'm a bit deficient on sharpening skills, I rely on power tools a great deal and should probably develop hand-tool skills at some point here.

Start with a 2 1/4" paint scraper with a handle and see how it feels.

edit- and maybe round the corners...

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 19, 2022

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Slugworth posted:

I choose to read this as you refusing to drive 20 miles to put a gun to his head.

Okay, so I was clear.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

I recall using a belt sander on rock maple in shop class and producing a shower of sparks.

This is usually the sanding belt being misaligned and grinding against the housing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wallet posted:

This is usually the sanding belt being misaligned and grinding against the housing.

It didn't happen on any other wood. The belt was probably worn and I was pushing too hard. It was definitely igniting the sawdust.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Looking for a reasonable blockplane for under $100. Does such thing exist?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You can get vintage Stanley no 60s on eBay for well under $100 all day long.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yes.

In addition to what stultus said, if you don't feel like fixing up a vintage one, I have one of these and quite like it:
https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/planes/block/32658-e-c-emmerich-adjustable-block-plane?item=24P6101
It's listed there at $109 and not widely available today, but I paid $96.50 for it in 2018 and I expect you could find a very similar one for around that now. This is a standard (rather than low) angled plane.

You can also get the Bench Dog low angle for $100:
https://smile.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-Tools-Block-Plane/dp/B07QF1CCGG

I don't have this plane, but it's quite well reviewed. It's made by Rockler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

What makes a bandsaw good for woodworking? Do the cheap ones suck? In what way? Is it all about capacity, or is there an accuracy or reliability factor, too?

It's a tool for someone else's project, but I should learn a little about the basics, because I might end up searching the used market for one.

e: e.g. $290 Central Machinery 14" bandsaw. What is a Taiwanese Harbor Freight bandsaw NOT good enough for? Assume I buy a nice blade for it and adjust the machine to the extent possible.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 20, 2022