Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Saying Gjally is "used in Vow" seems to lack a bunch of additional information that matters. I'll use it in the entrance and first encounter, but then it comes off in favor of Sleeper because you can't accidentally blow yourself up with Sleeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

Reiterpallasch posted:

This week specifically, Arms Dealer runs live and die based on whether you can kill the boss before you reach the top of the elevator, and a second Gjallarhorn is still the highest damage heavy--there are no legendary Solar rockets with Clown Cartridge, which legendaries need to be competitive with Gjally.

Arbalest is a bigger balance problem right now overall in GMs though, I would say.

yes there is, what

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

asterioth posted:

yes there is, what

legendary solar rocket, because the strike had a solar burn modifier for +25%

also

https://twitter.com/A_dmg04/status/1516450071620960261?t=ldQ9HOTtXRWnn-DVZYcicw&s=19

longest TWAB ever incoming

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

you can't accidentally blow yourself up with Sleeper.

Turns out you actually can, as I learned when someone strafed in front of me the instant I fired on caretaker

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Caretaker and Rhulk also have crit spots so there are plenty of alternatives to rockets there

IIRC optimal DPS is now reed's regret with various buffs active

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Turns out you actually can, as I learned when someone strafed in front of me the instant I fired on caretaker

You melted and/or burned yourself to death with the reflected beam, but didn't actually blow yourself up with Sleeper, so his point stands :colbert:

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

legendary solar rocket, because the strike had a solar burn modifier for +25%

also

https://twitter.com/A_dmg04/status/1516450071620960261?t=ldQ9HOTtXRWnn-DVZYcicw&s=19

longest TWAB ever incoming

oh god, yeah my brains working well today, my bad

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

haveblue posted:

Caretaker and Rhulk also have crit spots so there are plenty of alternatives to rockets there

IIRC optimal DPS is now reed's regret with various buffs active

that may have actually changed today lol, bait and switch is now a 35% buff up from 20%. gonna let the math nerds figure out what's more damage now, but B&S is a 5% buff over firing line now

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Paracelsus posted:

you can't accidentally blow yourself up with Sleeper.

Original Bone Krew footage:

https://youtu.be/9xNZdiZ41YU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
We heard you liked CHAMPIONS so we hosed up vow of the disciple with 'em

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the virtue of gjallarhorn is that it's easy to use. it is not the most powerful option by a fair margin. there are much better tools for addclear, and there are much better tools for killing players, and there are much better tools for boss dps. hell, its not even the best ROCKET LAUNCHER for boss dps. it is extremely convenient to have something that's pretty good at all of those things in one slot, but it is far from "the best" and it definitely does not "trivialize" anything because it remains an extremely limited resource that also restricts your loadout options.

gjallarhorn is great for when you're diving into LFG groups where you're not very good at aiming and you don't know anyone and definitely can't trust them to have their poo poo together, so you want a versatile heavy that can do most jobs acceptably with little effort so all of your bases are covered. it also happens to work well with one of the most popular heavy weapon types (because said heavy weapon type is easy to use), so it frequently gains value from people despite a lack of working together.

however, the instant you start coordinating your loadouts even a little and maybe even learn how to aim, better options tend to make themselves known immediately.

gjallarhorn is good, and it is popular because it is good.

it is out-DPSed by the legend of acrius, and its total simulated damage is almost half of that of a generic LFR.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
being good at everything, especially in GMs where you have to work through multiple rooms and sniper yellow bars/champions/the boss can all be lethal, is powerful though. taking legend of acrius into lightblade GM seems, um. not ideal. no matter how good at aiming you are, and gjally just gets better in coordinated fireteams when your aeon hunter can almost fully refill it with every champion kill. at some point under those conditions you're going to leave purple bricks on the ground if you're using a legendary LFR but with gjallarhorn you can always just yolo rocket random sniper acolytes.

i guess what i'm saying is that i'd probably call it the second best exotic for GMs right now, behind arbie and ahead of witherhoard and le monarque. that's a pretty good place to be!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Reiterpallasch posted:

being good at everything, especially in GMs where you have to work through multiple rooms and sniper yellow bars/champions/the boss can all be lethal, is powerful though.
it is! it's very useful. it's good, even! which is why i said it was good.

quote:

taking legend of acrius into lightblade GM seems, um. not ideal.
coward

raids also exist though. as do dungeons and lost sectors. GMs are not the only pinnacle PVE content. and yeah, acrius is generally not an ideal weapon - typically anything that acrius can do a sword could do better overall - but my point with bringing it up is that numbers can be misleading. i probably should have made that clearer but my brain has holes in it

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Gjallarhorn is basically the Hand Cannon of exotic heavies. Good at absolutely everything, powerful and easy to use while moving, very forgiving aim, dummy easy to use. Plus "iconic!"

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kith posted:

raids also exist though. as do dungeons and lost sectors. GMs are not the only pinnacle PVE content. and yeah, acrius is generally not an ideal weapon - typically anything that acrius can do a sword could do better overall - but my point with bringing it up is that numbers can be misleading. i probably should have made that clearer but my brain has holes in it

yeah that's definitely fair, i have GMs on the brain right now because i'm hoping to get some of the newer players in the group i hang out with conqueror and jesus christ lightblade

i actually do think arbie should get nerfed from the standpoint of sandbox health, because it's just too good at too many things, but from a selfish perspective i really really hope it doesn't

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Arbalest is insanely powerful in exchange for some massive drawbacks

It's exotic - no exotic primary for that bonus damage or bonus heavy drop rate. No exotic heavy for those massive DPS dumps

It's kinetic - no leaning in to the Element Burn

It's special - run out of green ammo and your barrier/match game solutions are gone

It's a linear - long distance targets, hordes of enemies, and enemies without crits are a problem

I'm a huge proponent of Arbalest and I think it's worth running in just about any activity with Barrier OR Match Game, but the strengths are definitely offset by the weaknesses.

Most important of all though, it isn't ever like, "mandatory" to use it, and it's not such an outlier that they have to design content around it

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm a huge proponent of Arbalest and I think it's worth running in just about any activity with Barrier OR Match Game, but the strengths are definitely offset by the weaknesses.

Big disagree with the second part, none of those weaknesses are unique to Arby, nor do they come close to offsetting how much Arby trivializes both barrier and match game.

Ultimately though I think match game and champions are both horrible mechanics and deserve trivializing, so I’m all for keeping Arby as OP as it is. Just feels bad for poor Erianna.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Coldforge posted:

Big disagree with the second part, none of those weaknesses are unique to Arby, nor do they come close to offsetting how much Arby trivializes both barrier and match game.

Ultimately though I think match game and champions are both horrible mechanics and deserve trivializing, so I’m all for keeping Arby as OP as it is. Just feels bad for poor Erianna.

No "one" of those weaknesses is unique to Arby's of course, but having 'em all stacked on top of each other is where the big ouch comes from. My first GM with a Ticuu's or a Sleeper is like breathing a great big breath of the freshest air after being on Arby's Duty for too long.

Agreed that match game and champions suck though. It's particularly heinous in the Master Vow that just dropped today. This is going to be even less popular than Master Vault of Glass

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The seasonal challenges are a lot tougher this time, jesus. I was hoping there'd be more of them in total, but nope, you can only miss 3 and I can already see 5 or 6 there's no loving way I'll get.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Most Guardians contemplating a GM: I'm thinkin' Arby's.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The seasonal challenges are a lot tougher this time, jesus. I was hoping there'd be more of them in total, but nope, you can only miss 3 and I can already see 5 or 6 there's no loving way I'll get.

The only one I've looked at and went "nope" on was the flawless legend psyops. It could happen, but I've moved on from psyops and don't feel like devoting the time to trying.

Any recommendations for what to target with my Trials engrams? I'm not sure what I want in an Aisha's, and I've heard that it's not that strong. I have a Summoner with perpetual motion and rampage that I'm quite happy with. Maybe an updated Reed's? I just have a large number of engrams I'm not quite sure what to do with.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Paracelsus posted:

Most Guardians contemplating a GM: I'm thinkin' Arby's.

The only one I've looked at and went "nope" on was the flawless legend psyops. It could happen, but I've moved on from psyops and don't feel like devoting the time to trying.

Any recommendations for what to target with my Trials engrams? I'm not sure what I want in an Aisha's, and I've heard that it's not that strong. I have a Summoner with perpetual motion and rampage that I'm quite happy with. Maybe an updated Reed's? I just have a large number of engrams I'm not quite sure what to do with.

Aisha's is amazing. Oddly enough, Adagio is fantastic on it and is the best "on kill" perk for it. HCR & Perpetual Motion are probably the best choices. For a PvE roll the only thing I'd change is either Vorpal or MKC instead of Adagio

Shayura's is the best SMG available in the game right now but I wouldn't be surprised if you've got a mountain of Adepts from last week and don't need any new ones. Golden TriCorn for PvE and honestly pretty much anything for PvP

Summoner with Golden Tricorn is a MUST, especially given the ... "rumor" ... that Solar is getting the rework next.

Reed's with Vorpal, Firing Line, or Focused Fury are must-haves. There's something weird with the Veist foundry perk where it won't proc if your magazine size has been enhanced, I think? Clown Cartridge is apparently not a good choice for that reason. Reed's with Adagio will kill on body shots in PvP after you proc it, which is GREAT

Messenger is such a beast. HCR and Desperado are probably the two top recs, and pretty much any perk other than Outlaw or Stats-for-All is great in the middle column. Kill Clip is literally better than Desperado but is less fun, and Headseeker/Frenzy have their uses as well. An Elemental Capacitor roll isn't half bad either since the handling and stability would both love a boost

Eye of Sol would be my absolute last pick for something to spend an engram on. Pick up as much Handling as you can from the barrel and MW, and then probably either Moving Target or Firmly Planted in the middle column and Opening Shot for the last column? They've said they're going to Do Something to Snapshot in a future season so a good roll on EoS might be more exciting in the future, but right now it suffers from not being able to get Snapshot and either OS or Under Pressure at the same time. An EoS with a 5-round mag, Ensemble, and Vorpal is pretty good for PvE though

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Gjallarhorn is just good, its not op. OP was sleeper with Particle Deconstruction, Anarchy in the age of Blast and Clear, etc.

As multiple people have said, its a brainless high dps weapon that can be easily gotten from a dungeon. The Dungeon is also cool and good.

If we're gonna delve into weapon chat we can delve into champion chat and acknowledge that Arbalest will be the best anti-barrier weapon when paired with disruption break, genesis, anti-match game, etc.

Anti-Overload weapons, well, frankly they need to work faster. No more dumping a mag before OL, just OL on the first shot. OL Auto Rifle or SMG are awful for this, when OL works first hit every time like with Overload Bow, its way better.

Unstoppables are fine which is why you never see complaints about them really.

I don't really know why I posted this but I just hate champions and WQ campaign showed they aren't needed for hard difficulty so gently caress em and lets never see them again.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Agreed that match game and champions suck though. It's particularly heinous in the Master Vow that just dropped today. This is going to be even less popular than Master Vault of Glass

I am yet to get home to dip in myself, but everything I'm looking at seems to suggest that Master Vow loot is lukewarm. No enhanced perks on adept guns? I was all pumped to skip the crafting system for them but... I think I'm gonna end up crafting these rather than trying to get the adept rolls that I want?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Anyone else notice the scorn on the throne world now have purple armor?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, I started reading a Webcomic called 'Kill Six Billion Demons', and a character near the beginning looked really similar.

I wonder if the designers are fans?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, I started reading a Webcomic called 'Kill Six Billion Demons', and a character near the beginning looked really similar.

KSBD loving slaps and it wouldn't surprise me
Artist is amazing

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Horsebanger posted:

Anti-Overload weapons, well, frankly they need to work faster. No more dumping a mag before OL, just OL on the first shot. OL Auto Rifle or SMG are awful for this, when OL works first hit every time like with Overload Bow, its way better.
God yes. They seem to have given overload primarily to units that teleport, meaning when they spam teleport they seem to reset the shot count.

Unstoppables I don't even bother carrying mods for half the time, they just kind of exist as a slightly tougher orange bar. I upgraded Arbalest to 1560 and am never going back though.

Part of the problem with champs is that either there's 2, or there are none. There should be none in normal difficulty, 1 in mid tier stuff, 2 in higher tier and sure, maybe insane master difficulty with all 3. There has been the odd mission with just one type in and they're kind of fun because it means you can carry specials that don't have a seasonal mod or an intrinsic for once!

Like with the vox master build linked earlier, you need a specific exotic for the kinetic slot, limiting your choices for the other 2 slots; you need a void handcannon/pulse in the energy slot (so again, only 2 or 3 of those) and you need a void heavy hitter (which is going to be a RL unless you got a vorpal threaded needle last year), and that means there are only 2 or 3 of those that can track and have boss killer perks.

It's just weird that their whole thing is 'collect cool guns, look at all the cool guns we made, but there's like 3 of them you can actually use because of the modifiers.'

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Like with the vox master build linked earlier, you need a specific exotic for the kinetic slot, limiting your choices for the other 2 slots; you need a void handcannon/pulse in the energy slot (so again, only 2 or 3 of those) and you need a void heavy hitter (which is going to be a RL unless you got a vorpal threaded needle last year), and that means there are only 2 or 3 of those that can track and have boss killer perks.

well, sort of? no?

that guy was doing a full void shenanigans build. Void wells, volatile rounds, etc Used because it's a strong build, but nothing from the mission itself requires void special and heavy AND arbalest. He could've substituted a solar heavy or like, palmyra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CJnm_C3mlI&t=551s

eso used a double primary.

I used glaive and... sleeper? or parasite, might've been gjally, doing solo master, though that was before the supression nerf. Lament could work too, now that it's fixed.

He was also doing a build for solo-ing a very difficult piece of content designed for 3 people. Doing it as a fire team would let you split out elements and champ mods, increasing build freedom.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Shayura's is the best SMG available in the game right now

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

wisdom, and truth

Tarrabae for life

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Shayura’s is going away after this season, so, that.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Summoner with Golden Tricorn is a MUST, especially given the ... "rumor" ... that Solar is getting the rework next.

Tell me more, I have lost all my sources for datamines/leaks ever since raidsecrets banned them like a bunch of babies.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pirate Jet posted:

Shayura’s is going away after this season, so, that.

Tell me more, I have lost all my sources for datamines/leaks ever since raidsecrets banned them like a bunch of babies.

That's the extent of it, as far as I know! Just that Solar is up next, per "Liz" of Destiny Two Leaks' fame.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They can nerf Arbalest a little OR they can do what they should have done a year ago and just pick like 15 other exotics and bake champion mods into them. Skyburner’s Oath, for example, would be an ideal exotic to go ahead and just slap “Overload” or “Unstoppable” right into the gun.

Arbalest is king of GMs because it pops barriers while also actually doing incredibly high damage even at range. Using any other special weapon on champs feels so bad. People should have a wider variety of useful exotics for end game content, one of the reasons everyone is sour on champions is because the game doesn’t really have that many different viable loadouts, there’s only like 4-5 usable guns/specials at the range that GMs are asking for.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

God yes. They seem to have given overload primarily to units that teleport, meaning when they spam teleport they seem to reset the shot count.
"units that teleport" is pretty much everything that isn't Cabal though.

They just need to remove or reduce the health regeneration of Overloads and they'd be fine. That's really the shittiest part about them, as soon as they get unsuppressed they teleport into cover and instantly heal back to full. Barrier champs do as well obviously, but barrier champs don't get the damage output that overloads do, and only heal while the barrier is up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

J.A.B.C. posted:

Raid bosses should get sick attack move names that pop up when they use them

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

That Birthplace of the Vile strike sure makes people quit at the start, can’t say I blame them

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mazerunner posted:

that guy was doing a full void shenanigans build. Void wells, volatile rounds, etc Used because it's a strong build, but nothing from the mission itself requires void special and heavy AND arbalest. He could've substituted a solar heavy or like, palmyra.
Right, but the nature of champs means you need specific mods and specific guns, and you need them in specific combinations so you don't get hosed. Which as I say is weird when you have a game that's all about cool guns and cool abilities and the cool things you can do with them, when most content severely limits the builds you can get away with.

Champs are poo poo, the fact that people are used to them and can build around them doesn't make them fun, it makes them an annoyance that severely restricts build diversity and gun options in almost all high end content. It's especially bad when there are specific subclasses that get the overload grenade so you do need to go void if you want to survive, and only one special archetype that gets one antichamp mod.

This is not about getting good - destiny has tough, clutch difficulty moments that are really fun. Champs aint that. They're a cockblock. They're the devs saying 'you have to stop whatever fun you were having and deal with this for a bit.'

So yeah, if you want to use a special weapon, you can use a glaive if it has unstoppables, you can use one that has intrinsics that cover the champs in this content, but otherwise it negates the majority of your arsenal.

Like yes I get your point, there are other builds that can get through it (I saw someone using Outbreak and doing very well, but then the rest of your loadout needs to build around the gaps), but I guess my point is that the presence of champs in a piece of content restricts you to such a limited set of elements and guns. You can't just think that ticuu's was fun and you'd like to use that today if the content has overload & unstoppables (especially since overload rounds barely work and you need to build for void so you can get the grenade that actually stops them).

E: log on to twitter and find this thread saying it far more concisely:

https://twitter.com/DestinyNostalgi/status/1516516116876734465?t=INOBOpoksq84Y2YpFAw2NQ&s=19

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 20, 2022

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I mean, you're not wrong really, but the only content that really limits you is high level stuff. Like, if you just want to muck around there's strike playlist, low level nightfalls even, non-master dungeons. Even raids don't need much other than 'good enough dps'. Like, there's regular Vox which is a good challenge while still being pretty unrestrictive, but then there's master which is "ok, not only do you have to be on the ball for shooting, you have to have a limited loadout" as an extra challenge... which isn't even that limited, as we've discussed.

And it's really only master lost sectors where you have to be able to hit all champs yourself because you're solo. Everything else you can team up to share the load.

Like, I dunno, champs aren't great, but it's only a handful of the highest activities where you really have to give a poo poo about them, and that's... ok? You'd already be using optimized min-max loadouts for that stuff, so adding in one more restriction isn't the worst to me. And in the future seasons your options will change!

e; I will say unstoppables are the best designed champs, just big sacks of HP that you can slowly chew through if you don't want to use the mods, or do it faster/easier/more efficiently if you do. As opposed to barrier and especially overload which are 100% you need to have 'em or you lose (on high difficulties) AND are finicky pieces of crap that won't stun or get behind cover to heal or shoot while stunned.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 20, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I guess, it's just then you get into the weird reward structure of this game where doing normal difficulty stuff feels like a waste of time after a while.

Don't get me wrong, the game is fun. Running strikes is fun. But you can only get so far doing that before it starts to force you into the tougher activities that have champs and therefore really limited options.

Dares is almost a good example of that. You can either do 3 easy runs with whatever loadout you want, or one challenge mode run to get the powerful reward. I mean there's also the pinnacle, you can only get if you play it on a higher challenge, but I like the activities that have rewards you can still get if you play multiple easy runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

champions are poo poo

match game is poo poo

they are two poo poo tastes that taste worse together

lightbearer hive are cool and fun to fight

send tweet