Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I actually never do, 32" 4k and 27" 1440p monitors here. Do you use special software for that or just size the windows up yourself and they somehow remember where to go?
Just click and drag a window's title bar to the side/corner of a monitor for snap resizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TheFluff posted:

PowerToys is a thing again and has configurable zones you can snap windows to.

Thanks, I don't see this becoming part of my workflow though - I work from home now but I don't code or anything and I can't think of a use case where I consistently have windows open in the same place - maybe when I'm reviewing multiple document I guess.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 has store listings up on B&H Photo now. This is Samsung's upcoming high-refresh 32" 4K Neo QLED gaming monitor. The 240Hz model will be $1500 and the 165Hz model will be $1300. Availability is expected in 4 - 5 weeks, and the 165Hz model is available for pre-order.

This is a surprisingly small price gap. It feels like you may as well pay the extra $200 for 240Hz support if you're already spending that much on a display. At least you can justify the big-screen-TV-like price by saying it's the only 240Hz 4K display.

For the unaware, Neo QLED is Samsung's current main high-end display tech (with QD-OLED being a much more niche thing). It pairs a VA LCD panel with a mini LED backlight that typically has more local dimming zones than other LCDs of the same size. This gives it very good HDR performance with different characteristics than OLED. OLED is the more popular tech at the moment but Neo QLED has its fans too. Samsung's previous Neo QLED computer monitors had some pretty significant issues, though, with display flickering, bad VRR implementation, an issue with visible "scanlines," and sloppy HDR handling (the hardware was good but the implementation had lovely tone mapping and EOTF adherence). So this is definitely a monitor you should wait on reviews for. Still, if the reviews are favorable, then I might just go in for one. The price is not great, but if Samsung doesn't trip over their own shoelaces again then it should at least be better than all of the even more expensive flagship monitors announced at CES this year.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 15, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
HU says the M27Q X (240fps 1440p monitor) will be $500.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDPq0uHNTyo

They like it. Similar contrast ratio to the non-X model. No longer uses a BGR layout.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is an HP X27q connected via DP. It has yellow splotches around text

This is also an X27q connected via DP without splothces

I think I disabled ClearType for all my monitors. Any ideas what could be the problem?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

This is an HP X27q connected via DP. It has yellow splotches around text

This is also an X27q connected via DP without splothces

I think I disabled ClearType for all my monitors. Any ideas what could be the problem?

The first thing that comes to mind is to check the cables. Is this two different monitors with two different cables?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The first thing that comes to mind is to check the cables. Is this two different monitors with two different cables?
Different monitors, different cables. But you're right, that should've been the first thing I checked. I put in a new cable and it seems to have fixed it!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wow I'm blown away that replacing the cable fixed that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Different monitors, different cables. But you're right, that should've been the first thing I checked. I put in a new cable and it seems to have fixed it!

Cool, glad it worked!

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 has store listings up on B&H Photo now. This is Samsung's upcoming high-refresh 32" 4K Neo QLED gaming monitor. The 240Hz model will be $1500 and the 165Hz model will be $1300. Availability is expected in 4 - 5 weeks, and the 165Hz model is available for pre-order.

I'm planning a big upgrade later in the year and these monitors would be perfect . . . if they were not curved. Is there anything in the ballpark on the horizon that is flat?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

VelociBacon posted:

I'd bet it was a DP 1.2 cable, or a damaged later cable that can't hold up anymore.

2560x1440 @ 165Hz requires a bit over 18 gigabits per second of bandwidth and DP 1.2 can provide just over 17. Since it can't deliver the configured settings over the link provided, chroma subsampling comes in to cut the color resolution in half and make any kind of subpixel rendering solution like ClearType go wrong.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Rinkles posted:

They like it. Similar contrast ratio to the non-X model. No longer uses a BGR layout.

Been available for almost a month now and the price appears to be 100% real.

Does anyone know more about this model? It seems absolutely ridiculous for the price point.

e: The MSI MAG274QRX also exists now for $550

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 18, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

wolrah posted:

I'd bet it was a DP 1.2 cable, or a damaged later cable that can't hold up anymore.

2560x1440 @ 165Hz requires a bit over 18 gigabits per second of bandwidth and DP 1.2 can provide just over 17. Since it can't deliver the configured settings over the link provided, chroma subsampling comes in to cut the color resolution in half and make any kind of subpixel rendering solution like ClearType go wrong.

Thanks for taking the time to reply with this, super interesting and it makes a lot more sense now.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Rinkles posted:

The overdrive tuning is awful. Why can't companies get this right?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I finally got a gtx3080 and I'm thinking I should probably upgrade my monitors from my old pair of Acer XF240H that I bought many years ago mostly because they were cheap.

I read the OP, but holy hell that is a lot of info to digest. I'm just trying to find a decent monitor that won't break the bank to get a pair of.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks for taking the time to reply with this, super interesting and it makes a lot more sense now.

It is really amazing that it works as well as it does. Modern video cables are likely the fastest external interface normal people (read: not datacenter/ISP/telecom workers) have ever laid their hands on so the fact that they mostly work even when out of compliance is a testament to the engineering behind them.

They're even faster than a number of internal interfaces. HDMI 2.1 at 48 gigabits per second has a higher max bandwidth than DDR1 and PCIe 1.0 x16. DisplayPort 2.0 doesn't really exist yet but on paper takes the number up to 80 gigabits per second which is beyond DDR2 and on par with PCIe 2.0 x16.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks, I don't see this becoming part of my workflow though - I work from home now but I don't code or anything and I can't think of a use case where I consistently have windows open in the same place - maybe when I'm reviewing multiple document I guess.

PowerToys is worth grabbing for PowerToys Run alone. (Hotkey pulls up a search bar for apps and whatnot; if you use a Mac, it basically gives you a Windows equivalent to Spotlight search.)

And the zones thing is nice, though I just use the basic half-screen ones built into Windows - video conference on one half, notes for it on the other, or two documents side by side, etc etc.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Floppychop posted:

I finally got a gtx3080 and I'm thinking I should probably upgrade my monitors from my old pair of Acer XF240H that I bought many years ago mostly because they were cheap.

I read the OP, but holy hell that is a lot of info to digest. I'm just trying to find a decent monitor that won't break the bank to get a pair of.

The OP is very out of date, and most of the information there is pretty irrelevant to today's monitor market. The first thing you want to decide on is resolution. 1440p is still considered the sweet spot for now, with high-refresh 4K monitors typically costing 2x the price of decent 1440p monitors. Once you narrow that down, what you generally want for gaming is an IPS display with fast response times and a good refresh rate. Unfortunately, figuring out the real response times and not the fake marketing response times requires reading reviews, and not all monitors have been reviewed by someone who tests this.

If you're getting a 1440p display, some of the cheaper monitors worth getting are the HP X27q, Gigabyte M27Q, or LG 27GP83B. Of these, the X27q is the cheapest at around $250 currently. The M27Q has a wider color gamut for more vibrant HDR visuals. The 27GP83B has the fastest response times for an image that is very clear in motion. Note that despite the M27Q's wider gamut, none of them actually do HDR well at all, and most of the differences between them are going to be pretty hard to see with the naked eye. If you're buying two of these, I might go with the X27q on account of it being the cheapest while still offering a good picture quality. Though as the cheapest, I'm not sure how well it'll hold up for over time, or how good unit-to-unit consistency will be.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Two of the HP X27q come in at ~$500, which is what I was hoping for instead of that much for a single monitor. I'm sure whatever I go with will look like a night and day difference compared to my current ones. As for being the cheapest of what you listed, I'll probably go with Amazon just because their returns are stupid easy in the case of dead pixels or whatever.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Floppychop posted:

Two of the HP X27q come in at ~$500, which is what I was hoping for instead of that much for a single monitor. I'm sure whatever I go with will look like a night and day difference compared to my current ones. As for being the cheapest of what you listed, I'll probably go with Amazon just because their returns are stupid easy in the case of dead pixels or whatever.
FWIW, I upgraded from 2x 27" 1440p 60Hz monitors to 3x X27q's, bought them from Amazon. There's a bit of backlight bleed and IPS glow but nothing that shows up during typical use. I actually consider the non-wide color gamut to be a good thing since I'm looking for (non-professional) color accuracy. When buying stuff online, especially clothing, I used to have to pull up items on my iPhone to figure out how it might look IRL.

Josh Lyman posted:

Welp, looks like I’m keeping all 3 monitors

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm curious how you use 3x 27 in landscape - you have to move your head to track what's going at the two sides and looking at your screenshot, you end up doing split windows on the left and right monitors

might be worth trying out one or both of the side monitors in portrait

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

shrike82 posted:

I'm curious how you use 3x 27 in landscape - you have to move your head to track what's going at the two sides and looking at your screenshot, you end up doing split windows on the left and right monitors

When I set up at my new place I tried putting the side monitors in portrait mode and it wasn't as useful. Coupled with an Edge extension to remember positions for multiple browser windows, in 3x1 landscape I can pop up a bunch of Tarkov maps and have them sit perfectly in with the game and Discord.

Maybe when I move up from 1200p and downgrade to 16:9 that will change.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think I'm a convert to curved monitors but not good at picking them, because apparently the Samsung Odyssey G7 is a notoriously buggy model with a bunch of stuff that can fail and I just didn't notice this when I was looking to buy. I love the screen but it's got awful issues with faulty buttons and misc problems, and if it's gonna be in and out of repairs I'd rather eat humble pie and replace it with something reliable.

I really do like having a curve though, are there any other generally-recommended curved 1440p mostly-gaming monitors? Browsing tech sites feels dumb because the G7 is what they all recommended and none of them mentioned the issues this thing has.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
What does the thread think of the LG A1 Oled 48? It's available refurb with a 4 year warranty that supposedly covers burn-in for $625. Uses would be mix of gaming, desktop, productivity (dev/editing), and content consumption. Obviously missing the VRR and 120hz features for games.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i dunno, dev on an oled? even if the warranty supposedly covers burn in, what a huge fiasco

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
update on my m32u huge monitor with kvm: its cool. the kvm is a little wonky but thats to be expected with kvm. the winders side works way better than the thunderbolt side tho.

monitor modes get wacky sometimes - shell closed it goes to hdr mode (toggled in settings) and brighness and such cant be changed. ? shell open and its normal.

sometimes in Reading Mode or anything w/ low brightness this monitor makes a high pitch whine. nobody else experiences this and im too cheap to return it or whatever also also instantly tossed the packaging when it booted, but if u change it to a higher brightness mode the whine goes away. it doesn't whine even in low brightness once it's "warmed up" it appears. pretty weird. whatever.

overall 10/10 for a huge monitor with a built in kvm

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

shrike82 posted:

It's definitely true that I have to turn my head to see everything on the side monitors, but that was also true when I used 2x 27" in landscape. I decided to stick with 3 monitors mainly so that when I'm using 2 of them during the work day, the 3rd can show my personal stuff (Discord, Twitter, etc). The marginal benefit to having 3 monitors to use outside of work hours is questionable, though having a centered monitor for media consumption is nice.

Basically, if each monitor were more than the $250 I paid, I probably would've just stuck with 2.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 21, 2022

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i dunno, dev on an oled? even if the warranty supposedly covers burn in, what a huge fiasco

yeah, after more research it does seem rather ill advised. Thanks

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, weirdly specific thing, but are there any dual HDMI or HDMI & DP IPS monitors that are VESA mountable, 22” or under and have a headphone socket?
There’s a few that are VA, but that has its own downsides.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kerbtree posted:

So, weirdly specific thing, but are there any dual HDMI or HDMI & DP IPS monitors that are VESA mountable, 22” or under and have a headphone socket?

Technically this matches your specs:
https://us.aoc.com/en-US/products/monitors/16t2

HDMI (via microHDMI) and DisplayPort (via USB-C), IPS, VESA mountable, under 22"

If you're looking for more of a desktop size though you're probably going to have a hard time similar to trying to buy a nice 32" TV today. 24-27" has become the baseline for desktop monitors, almost everything below that is a corner-cutting model designed to sell on price.

I feel your pain, I have a monitor setup that barely fits my mount bracket with the two old 20" panels I have and I'd love to upgrade to something with a modern LED backlit panel but finding something functionally better that isn't physically larger is very hard. At this point I've given up and started pricing out building a custom mount setup from extrusions.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 22, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I'm now at the point where I'm going to buy a USB switch because the M32U implementation is killing me. My keyboard doesn't get recognized 20% of the time and doesn't work at all until you re-kvm again, another 5% of the time my mouse and keyboard get power but the clicks and keyboard inputs somehow do random poo poo instead of what they're supposed to (like left click will open a new tab). Keyboard is a ducky shine 5 with no software tie-in so I dunno what's going on there.

Because the KVM won't switch to a sleeping PC, I have to reach over and press a button on my Xbox controller (attached to my PC) to wake my home PC so I can KVM over to it.

I'm still happy with the monitor and I'll use the KVM button as a monitor switch between my PC and work laptop but I think I'm pretty done with dealing with the USB issues. I know this is all windows issues not the monitor but I can't handle it anymore.

Also after turning hdr on and playing something, and tabbing out, the HDR sometimes turns off after the monitor goes black for a second or two. This also happens sometimes after I turn HDR off, the monitor turns off momentarily to make that change, then comes back, then goes dark again, then comes back.

I don't think any of these are RMA issues, this is just windows dealing with the weird situation. Anyone have similar headaches? Is it resolved by having the gigabyte software thing installed?

VelociBacon posted:

I'm just double quoting myself for accountability because look what I found when I took my desk down for moving this week:

I had no idea the cable was under tension like this. I replaced it with a longer one so I don't have this issue again and so far the black screen periods that I describe in the first quoted post haven't returned. I also was watching some 4k stuff on youtube yesterday after setting everything back up with the new cable and I'm wondering if I was even getting 4k anymore, or a full colour space because it looked way way nicer than I remember things looking.

I'm dumb!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kerbtree posted:

There may be more but this LG 21.5" IPS monitor has those features.
https://smile.amazon.com/LG-22MN430M-B-FHD-IPS-Monitor/dp/B0859NQH3F
https://www.newegg.com/lg-22mn430m-b-21-5/p/N82E16824026036

This Samsung is similar for inputs, size and headphone jack, and also doesn't have as big of a bezel, but doesn't have wide availability. It mostly comes up on UK sales sites or one newegg reseller in the US:
https://www.samsung.com/ie/business/monitors/business/monitor-t45f-lf22t450fqrxxu/
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-lf22t450fqrxxu-22/p/N82E16824022980

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

I'm just double quoting myself for accountability because look what I found when I took my desk down for moving this week:

I had no idea the cable was under tension like this. I replaced it with a longer one so I don't have this issue again and so far the black screen periods that I describe in the first quoted post haven't returned. I also was watching some 4k stuff on youtube yesterday after setting everything back up with the new cable and I'm wondering if I was even getting 4k anymore, or a full colour space because it looked way way nicer than I remember things looking.

I'm dumb!

Don't feel bad. It's only because of having spent hours troubleshooting display or networking issues only to find out a cable was at fault that I default to checking cables. Under ordinary circumstances it's easy to just take cables for granted, particularly when they are kind of or mostly working.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Can anyone recommend a photo editor app for Chromebook? The built-in photo viewer did a really bad job resizing photos (honestly crop + resize is the only photo editing I expect to do)

e: goddammit I've been subscribed to both threads for months but I keep making that mistake :argh:

FBS fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 23, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wrong thread but Pixlr is pretty decent if you need a web based image editor

https://pixlr.com/e/

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Can anyone recommend a 240hz+ 1080p monitor? This will be for competitive multiplayer games and trying to max frames and overclock refresh rates.

err fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 23, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

err posted:

Can anyone recommend a 240hz+ 1080p monitor? This will be for competitive multiplayer games and trying to max frames and overclock refresh rates.

Everyone seems to be all about the Viewsonic XG2431 these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOgs15DmGqU

It's affordable, and it actually has better motion clarity than the 390Hz monitors that have come out recently on account to its fast response times. The 390Hz displays have slightly better input latency, but it's not by much.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 23, 2022

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
1) is there a tv thread

2) is this good https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/tcl-5-series-65-4k-uhd-hdr-qled-roku-os-smart-tv-65s535-ca/14671250

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Yeah it's in IYG. TCL 5 series are usually good value for the money. IIRC going up to a 6 series (or equivalent from other brands) can be worth it if you can afford it and care about certain features / use cases (e.g. looks like in this case 6 series gets you 120 Hz if you game on it), but my TV knowledge is a few years out of date. I'd check rtings and/or ask in that thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Looks like my U2211H just died, so I'm in a market for a new monitor. I've been considering upgrading to a 24 or 27 inch for primary display for a while anyways and this mostly just pushed up the schedule. For reference, my surviving display is a U2212, and is being driven by an AMD Vega 56. I was considering the Nixeus 27" since I don't need G-sync support, but I don't know if that still a good buy at this point. What's good in that general market assuming I don't play anything where I really need 240Hz, but could make use of 120-165? My budget is $500 at the most.