Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
SVS has really come into their own over the last few years

How do they stack up vs the high end stuff like REL and Hsu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

SVS has really come into their own over the last few years

How do they stack up vs the high end stuff like REL and Hsu?

From what I've read: SVS is good but those 2 are still better.

Though a lot of people think that Rel is overpriced for what it offers and smaller companies like Hsu and Rythmik are taking their spot as more "audiophile" subwoofers while being much more affordable.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have no complaints about my SVS SB-1000. It beats the pants off the two DALI SWA 12s I had before, while also being noticably more compact in my 17m² living room.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Though a lot of people think that Rel is overpriced for what it offers and smaller companies like Hsu and Rythmik are taking their spot as more "audiophile" subwoofers while being much more affordable.

I haven’t heard any other high end subs but I can say I’m super happy with the Rythmik F12 I got recently. Big step up from the Triangle I was using before.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

REL is fine and may even be price competitive in Europe at least. I think you're paying a bit for the fancy aluminum feet and piano finish like but they're apparently solid performers. Rythmik and Hsu sell direct so they're really hard to beat on value compared to competitors who have to split the price with retailers.

I love my Rythmik L12 but thinking about having the app controls during setup like SVS is super appealing. That said I plan to incorporate room correction eventually so it's not a huge priority for me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I know the Costco Favorite Denon is on everyone's list, but is the Onkyo TX-NR696 any crappier (aside from not being an 8k AVR)?

Oops, never-ending. Looks like the Onkyo lacks eARC

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 20, 2022

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

FilthyImp posted:

I know the Costco Favorite Denon is on everyone's list, but is the Onkyo TX-NR696 any crappier (aside from not being an 8k AVR)?

Oops, never-ending. Looks like the Onkyo lacks eARC

I've had the one step down Denon, the S660H for 10 days and have had problems with it probably 7 of those days. I'm thinking it's related to using eARC with the TV and using HDMI sources plugged in directly for everything else. Seems like there's confusion from the receiver about what to do with the sound and it'll often send the PS5 sound directly to the TV for output from the TV speakers.

Jolo posted:

I just bought a Denon AVR-S660H and I'm having pretty frequent problems with it. Current setup is HDMI from sources (PS5, Xbox 360, Switch) to Receiver, HDMI out to TV. Sometimes this all works and everything is peachy, other times:

Turn on Receiver and switch to the 360 input. Picture comes through, but no sound comes through. Receiver displays "DPL Gm". Turning Receiver on and off doesn't fix this. Switching inputs back and forth also doesn't affect it. If I go in to settings on the Xbox and change from Surround to Stereo then back to surround it fixes it. If I turn the 360 off and on again it fixes itself.

Same deal with PS5, turn on, "DPL Gm", No sound. In this case turning PS5 off and on again doesn't fix. Receiver off/on doesn't fix either. Have to go in to settings on PS5, change sound priority from Linear to Dolby or DTS. At that point swapping back to Linear works fine.

No problems with Switch or other sources so far.

Anything I can change in the settings to fix this? It's annoying to have to fiddle with the settings in the PS5 or 360 every few times I use them. Thanks.

This morning swapping the audio settings on the PS5 isn't fixing it so if I want to watch/play something on the PS5 right now I'm stuck with TV speaker output.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's weird. Your TV is set to HDMI ARC for audio right?

The ones at work sometimes go back to TV Audio and then I get asked why the fancy sound bar isn't working when the TV is set to ignore it.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

That's weird. Your TV is set to HDMI ARC for audio right?

The ones at work sometimes go back to TV Audio and then I get asked why the fancy sound bar isn't working when the TV is set to ignore it.

Yep, the arc works with the tv but I think it's making the other sources act up. Kinda feels like this thing either wants to do all through the receiver or all arc and swapping between isn't a good setup.

Flat out couldn't get PS5 audio to go through the speakers this morn. Fixed itself after I swapped to Switch and then back to PS5. Seems like I have to force an audio reset of some kind but swapping to a source that isn't on doesn't do it. It's been a real hassle.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'm trying to fill out my HT but I'm not sure where to put my rear speakers? Basically its in a huge open space combo kitching-dining room-living room, is my best bet just throwing them on some stands behind the couch? The walls are pretty far away so don't think its feasible... Can you hang speakers from the ceiling?

Right now its 3.1, would like at least 5.1 but room arrangement is... Ya

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Mr. Crow posted:

I'm trying to fill out my HT but I'm not sure where to put my rear speakers? Basically its in a huge open space combo kitching-dining room-living room, is my best bet just throwing them on some stands behind the couch? The walls are pretty far away so don't think its feasible... Can you hang speakers from the ceiling?

Behind or perpendicular to the couch is fine so long as they aren’t occluded by the couch. Yes you can put them on the ceiling, as well- that would be a little more involved.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
My Onkyo NR609 has died.

Is the Costco Denon 760h the current (budget) recommend? I'll be getting a PS5/Xbox eventually, otherwise, I just want decent base features, 5.1 setup.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's the current "will do 4k/8k right" pick.

Clarification: the 2020/21 AVRs apparently had a bad HDMI chip so the high end stuff like 4k/120 or VRR was busted . The Denon was one of the first new releases that could do it right.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 24, 2022

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Jolo posted:

Yep, the arc works with the tv but I think it's making the other sources act up. Kinda feels like this thing either wants to do all through the receiver or all arc and swapping between isn't a good setup.

Flat out couldn't get PS5 audio to go through the speakers this morn. Fixed itself after I swapped to Switch and then back to PS5. Seems like I have to force an audio reset of some kind but swapping to a source that isn't on doesn't do it. It's been a real hassle.

Wondering if this could be the TV rather than the AVR? I haven't really spent much time reading up on ARC/eARC as I don't have a HDMI 2.1 unit yet, but I expect if the TV was failing to send the right messages to the AVR (i.e. "Okay we're using you as the video source so turn off ARC and do your thing, buddy"), it could cause it to act up.

I know that at one point, I was trying to be clever while playing games off my PC by connecting one HDMI port to the AVR for audio, and one to the TV for video so I could game in 4k60 with HD audio as opposed to 4K30 which is the max my AVR can do, or using lossy 5.1 via ARC. I had to unplug the AVR from the TV or disable ARC+CEC altogether to make it work. The TV didn't care that no sound was coming through the HDMI connection; because no video was coming from the AVR, and I was using an input source on the TV, it kept switching back to ARC as the audio source, and CEC meant that if I tried to manually switch the AVR to the input I was using for audio, it would try to use that input for video.

In fairness, I was doing something it was never designed to do, but it makes me wonder that if the TV was telling the AVR "hey, I have an audio stream for you" or "Oh I see you're passing through a source with audio, I'll take that" when it's not supposed to, it could gently caress with the AVR in exactly the way you're describing?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I've messed with options a bunch and I think I've figured it out. Seems to be an issue with the option in the receiver to allow HDMI passthrough while the receiver is turned off. If this is on and the PS5 turns on before the receiver is on it'll send the sound through to the tv and not correct itself when the receiver comes on.

If I swap inputs back and forth it'll reset that connection but only if the sound changes for the new connection. If I swap to a TV channel on the TV and back the audio stays the same and won't reset itself on the PS5 through the receiver.

Once I turned off HDMI passthrough in the options I haven't had an issue with any of the inputs again. That option allows you to ignore the receiver while it's off and act like the source is plugged right into the tv and use the TV's speakers.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Mr. Crow posted:

drat right you can.

For rears, I would not hesitate to trial them either by the back wall (no matter how far away), or mounted near the ceiling. It doesn't really matter all that much if they're far away or high up, as long as they're behind you. Use the audyssey or whatever on your receiver, it will compensate for the long distance.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
But where would the wires go? I'd think you'd have to run them in the ceiling and hope the joists mostly go the way you want?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

falz posted:

But where would the wires go? I'd think you'd have to run them in the ceiling and hope the joists mostly go the way you want?

Well, depends what your room and ceiling look like, I suppose... If you can't hide the cables, I would use white cables and run them along the floor skirting board, then up a wall alongside some door or corner, then tape up white cable ducts in the ceiling up to the speakers.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Installation-Channel-Mounting-Telephone-Internet/dp/B01N5LJ0JX

Assuming the speakers are black, they'll be quite visible, but the cabling will be the least of your worries. If you want to really hide your surrounds, you'd get white in-ceiling speakers to begin with. Then it's a whole other ball game, including in-wall wiring etc.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm reading about a lot of issues with CEC functionality on the Denon 760h. I currently will only have a FireTV Cube hooked up and eventually a PS5. I'm pretty sure the FireTV Cube will handle input switching so CEC shouldn't be an issue. The Onkyo nr6050 is also looking interesting. I think I'm going to head to Costco at lunch and buy whichever they have in stock. If both and they're the same price, flip a coin I guess.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I got the Denon, Costco didn’t have the Onkyo. No issues so far.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've had the Denon 760h since November and it mostly gets along with the LG G1 TV and Apple TV 4K plugged in to HDMI 2. When I turn them all on using the Apple remote about 1 out of 5 days the Denon will not go right to HDMI 2 but turning it off/on again with the Denon remote usually fixes it quickly. I only use the Apple TV though, multi-devices it might be even more confused. Turning them all off with the Apple remote has never been a problem.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think a lot of CEC fuckups are basically an “off by one error” which software folks will recognize but can lead to absolutely baffling behavior. Has anyone with a 2021 Onkyo, have you tried diving into the menus to try to fix? There’s a “limit” menu in the web ui that looks great for tweaking that stuff.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

As an update on my problems with the S660H, I haven't had any since turning off HDMI Passthrough in Standby.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
It's a small thing but I appreciated the calibration mic stand on the Denon. It cost them like .50 cents per unit at best but I liked it. I still had to adjust the levels but good job Denon. I don't mind the outdated setup interface at all, I'll never see it again most likely.

My biggest gripe is the advertised 75 watts per channel (at 2.1 I assume). This receiver does not go loud but it's fine for me. I had to turn my Hsu subwoofer down but that was probably just analyzing the sound.

Edit again - I also adjusted my subwoofer crossover slightly lower but again, not sure if that's due to the amp or just listening to poo poo critically. I have NHT bookshelf speakers on stands in a 5.1 configuration.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 27, 2022

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My SVS PB-1000 Pro arrived today. My Triangle Borea BR09 tower speakers go as low as 35Hz — would it sound right to have the sub’s low pass filter set at 50Hz?

Also I have no idea what I want from the sub. On the other side of the wall is my neighbor and I don’t want to be a menace. I have the volume set at -10dB and Dunkirk sounded… fine, I guess? Maybe I didn’t really need this. There are so many variables to tinker with.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Crossover should almost almost always be 80 for bass management for just general media consumption but you can fiddle with a 2.1 setup for music and do things a bit different, or if you have big speakers leave out the sub, depending on what you’re listening to.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Vegetable posted:

My SVS PB-1000 Pro arrived today. My Triangle Borea BR09 tower speakers go as low as 35Hz — would it sound right to have the sub’s low pass filter set at 50Hz?

That's about where I have mine set, with speakers that are -3 dB at 31 Hz. No receiver/DSP at the moment so the speakers are run full range. I haven't measured it or anything but it sounds pretty good to my ears.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Kaddish posted:

It's a small thing but I appreciated the calibration mic stand on the Denon. It cost them like .50 cents per unit at best but I liked it.

My onkyos have always had this and I like it too. The real cost is licensing the software for that though, not the mic (I'm sure it's not more than a few bucks per unit though)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think the poster was praising the mic stand. Denon included this origami tripod thing that actually extends a bit, so it serves as both a tabletop stand and an actual tripod-4ft stand.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Oh interesting, I usually put mine in a stack of couch pillows

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

I think the poster was praising the mic stand. Denon included this origami tripod thing that actually extends a bit, so it serves as both a tabletop stand and an actual tripod-4ft stand.

Yep, especially nice considering Audyssey on the Denon tests 6 locations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Vegetable posted:

Also I have no idea what I want from the sub. On the other side of the wall is my neighbor and I don’t want to be a menace. I have the volume set at -10dB and Dunkirk sounded… fine, I guess? Maybe I didn’t really need this. There are so many variables to tinker with.

Consider that the higher you set the crossover, (ie the less bass the speakers need to handle), the more wattage you can feed them in the higher frequencies. Sound that only the sub plays is sound that the main amp doesn't have to amplify. I.e. you can play those main speakers LOUDER without getting distortion, if the sub is handling more of the bass.

Your sub probably can do a good job up to or above 120Hz, so if you set the crossover at 50, you're "wasting" a bit of wattage in the overlap. I've seen forums threads recommending setting it to 120 Hz and almost every other number. But you should probably let your ears decide!

Edit: SVS seems to recommend a pretty low crossover frequency so that's one data point, I guess.They don't list the BR09 but they have an entry for BR08.
https://www.svsound.com/pages/merlin

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 27, 2022

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
How close could I get to a 3.1 system with the space in front of my TV on the stand? A soundbar would fit there without obstructing the screen, but these speakers all look kinda big, even if I laid them on their side. The stand is in a tight space, there's really no room to the sides or the front for speakers to sit.

Recommendations for a really small system?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’ve got five Ascend HTM-200SEs that are about as compact as I’d go before I’d just get a sound bar. They’re quite capable for the size. Make great computer desk speakers too.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
3.1 is nice especially for dialogue balance, but if there's no spot for a center, 2.1 using smaller bookshelf speakers (4-6" woofers) is still miles better than a sound bar IME.

The way you describe it though, It sounds like you don't even have room for a receiver, so a soundbar + wireless sub you can stash elsewhere in the room seems ideal. They are still a big upgrade over the poo poo speakers TVs come with these days, and they're going to be pretty much as good as any tiny speaker/monitor setup but with a more convenient form factor and control schema.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I need a new stereo receiver primarily for use with a turn table. I had a vintage receiver that has died. I'm giving it back to my dad to see if he wants to get it repaired.

I have $300 in Best Buy gift cards. Including the gift cards my budget is $300-$500. This is terrifying to me. Googling always tells me how awful everything is unless I spend two weeks' salary.

TLDR; Looking for recommendations for a $300-$500 stereo receiver for music available at Best Buy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cosmicjim posted:

I need a new stereo receiver primarily for use with a turn table. I had a vintage receiver that has died. I'm giving it back to my dad to see if he wants to get it repaired.

I have $300 in Best Buy gift cards. Including the gift cards my budget is $300-$500. This is terrifying to me. Googling always tells me how awful everything is unless I spend two weeks' salary.

TLDR; Looking for recommendations for a $300-$500 stereo receiver for music available at Best Buy.

if you really want 2.0/2.1 stereo, this is the best that Best Buy will do for you:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-200w-2-ch-stereo-receiver-black/5037100.p?skuId=5037100

They used to sell the Yamaha AS-501 for $550, and I would’ve previously told you to save up an extra $50 and get that, but Best Buy doesn’t carry it anymore (lots of other places do, tho).

You could just get the one linked and spend the extra $100 on vinyl or games or whatever. If you’re asking in this thread then you probably don’t have anoraky opinions about ‘Marantz vs McIntosh’/etc and it’ll be plenty for you.

Alternatively you could spend $300-500 like you said and get a surround receiver of some sort with better digital connectivity and HDMI, and merely use it as a stereo receiver.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Thanks!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

They have refurbs of a lot of those Yamaha stereo amps and receivers on accessories4less.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

if you really want 2.0/2.1 stereo, this is the best that Best Buy will do for you:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-200w-2-ch-stereo-receiver-black/5037100.p?skuId=5037100

They used to sell the Yamaha AS-501 for $550, and I would’ve previously told you to save up an extra $50 and get that, but Best Buy doesn’t carry it anymore (lots of other places do, tho).

You could just get the one linked and spend the extra $100 on vinyl or games or whatever. If you’re asking in this thread then you probably don’t have anoraky opinions about ‘Marantz vs McIntosh’/etc and it’ll be plenty for you.

Alternatively you could spend $300-500 like you said and get a surround receiver of some sort with better digital connectivity and HDMI, and merely use it as a stereo receiver.

I have this model and it’s pretty good for my needs. Which is, driving a pair of stereo speakers.