Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Levantine posted:

Is the remaster or whatever any good?

gently caress no it isn't, patch the Saturn version and emulate that instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

gently caress no it isn't, patch the Saturn version and emulate that instead

What's wrong with it? My computer is aging a bit so emulation can be a bit tough. What's better about the Saturn version? I've only ever played the PSX version.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1516401730275131398?t=iPRy0JbTvIEzhWnQ7_UfXA&s=19

Thank goodness Nintendo realized that this year is JRPG Summer and moved the release date accordingly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Levantine posted:

What's wrong with it? My computer is aging a bit so emulation can be a bit tough. What's better about the Saturn version? I've only ever played the PSX version.

It looks and runs better (it was a Saturn game first). The "HD" version has poo poo scaling applied to all the sprites at a file level, so you can't hack it out or anything and just looks awful. There's no content differences between any version, IIRC.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Srice posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1516401730275131398?t=iPRy0JbTvIEzhWnQ7_UfXA&s=19

Thank goodness Nintendo realized that this year is JRPG Summer and moved the release date accordingly.

I guess this means I have to actually get back to playing XC2 now

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I can't even remember a time where a publisher moved up a game's release by a few months; usually it's the opposite but I'm down for Xenoblade 3

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Brand new battle features off a glance:

-Tales of zesteria style fusion between characters
-looks like 3 party combat and the rest are basically fancy supports still on the field
-A numbered xenoblade featuring mech vs mech combat, amazing
-More party members than just the box art, game's gonna get decisiony

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations of games that like, have lots of ways to hangout with your party memebers for fun and just throw money around in general? Like, 'okay we beat the boss, here guys, have 8000 gold for each of you or just buy everyone a meal or something.

Been watching someone play Persona 5 Royal and I'm just trying to piece together what my ideal game would be, so far all I've got is 'give me places and people to dump money on just because'

it doesn't have money but the first thing i thought of while reading this was blue reflection 2. you go on dates with your party members and build amenities for them, and there's tons of incidental dialogue to stumble upon

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fire Emblem 3H works for that; the entirety of the game outside battles is teaching classes and going to tea parties and poo poo

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Tae posted:

For some reason this immediately made me think of Star Ocean 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

:magical:

Any word on a Collector's Edition?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

Folks in the XB thread are guessing the 7th party slot is going to be used for guests and you'll only have the core 6 for most of the game.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:magical:

Any word on a Collector's Edition?

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1516402497082085380

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

The Colonel posted:

the gunparade march line of games (gunparade march/orchestra, kenran butou sai: the mars daybreak, evangelion 2: evangelions) trends harder on simulation than jrpg but they are, extremely simulation-heavy games about random minute interactions you have with your friends. like every character in gunparade march has a functioning inventory and everyone can give each other gifts. this commonly leads to the first gifts you get from friends being their socks because socks are the first item they carry in their inventory on game start. none of the games are tled tho

loop8 is a game with an idea just like that that seems identical in implementation but that's not out yet and there's no confirmation of a localization for it. i'd say it has higher odds though because it's being published by marvelous and marvelous doesn't usually skip out on opportunities to release their big console games in english

Elvis_Maximus posted:

:sigh: this sounds like exactly the type of thing I'd dig, so of course they're not translated

I'll have to keep an eye out for loop8 I guess to see if it gets translated

Yeah, Gunparade also sounds right up my alley, both in content and being an untranslated PSX game. I know extremely little Japanese, but I find it fun to dig around inside games and figure out how to break them open for translation. I'll take a look inside them sometime and see what's going on- there's a chance they might be rather easy, although simulation heavy means dialogue heavy and that likely implies a lot of compression.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Note the Grandia 1 remaster does fix the Time Stop bug where it takes the correct amount to level it up rather than 99. Note, further, time stop is completely useless either way.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Are kemco rpgs good, bad, or just meh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Its the straight to DVD of RPGs, the Roger Corman of publishers. They have one huge advantage though which is usually they're 10-20 hours so they're all very briskly and pleasantly paced.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Looper posted:

it doesn't have money but the first thing i thought of while reading this was blue reflection 2. you go on dates with your party members and build amenities for them, and there's tons of incidental dialogue to stumble upon

The money thing is just me thinking about how you're usually The Leader in a group. You beat a boss monster, they drop money and experience, the money goes into a bag and nobody asks any questions about it.

edit: Oh hey, blue reflection 2 is a team of all girls. That was a thought I had randomly like 4 months ago to just do that and make an entire party of cool girls.

loquacius posted:

Fire Emblem 3H works for that; the entirety of the game outside battles is teaching classes and going to tea parties and poo poo

I'm a bad Fire Emblem fan, I beat Awakening, two of the Fates storylines, Shadows of Valentia and I just lost interest in 3Houses' story so I never even got to the end. I much prefer how the 3DS games limited you. 'Here is a character, if you want to swap them to something else get them a second seal or pitchfork'

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 19, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ahhh gently caress; So probably even odds as to if it'll be available in Australia at all :sigh:.

edit: Oh poo poo, I take it back - https://twitter.com/NintendoAUNZ/status/1516411152883986445

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 19, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ahhh gently caress; So probably even odds as to if it'll be available in Australia at all :sigh:.

edit: Oh poo poo, I take it back - https://twitter.com/NintendoAUNZ/status/1516411152883986445

Lol rip to being able to get it at a non insane price then

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Crystal Project put out a patch that made minigames optional and lets you set 3 home points now for better early game backtracking. Game is good, pulled me away from Elden Ring.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Crystal Project put out a patch that made minigames optional and lets you set 3 home points now for better early game backtracking. Game is good, pulled me away from Elden Ring.

three? whoa lol that's actually a big deal

yeah Crystal Project is the only game I've been able to play and put a real dent in since Elden Ring came out

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Odd Wilson posted:

Yeah, Gunparade also sounds right up my alley, both in content and being an untranslated PSX game. I know extremely little Japanese, but I find it fun to dig around inside games and figure out how to break them open for translation. I'll take a look inside them sometime and see what's going on- there's a chance they might be rather easy, although simulation heavy means dialogue heavy and that likely implies a lot of compression.

I guess that "sometime" meant a few hours later.

I went ahead and looked into the first Gunparade game on the PSX. I'm reasonably sure that the majority of dialogue is stored in the files under the main "MTALK" directory, and examining said files shows they're definitely dictionary encoded. Looks a lot like lone LZSS encoding though, so that's probably the easiest thing it could be outside of being plainly uncompressed. I'm generally inexperienced in actually doing anything with compression though.

Almost every non-sound/video file seems to be compressed, which isn't really unexpected. At least the font seems like it'd be easy to find.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 19, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Odd Wilson posted:

At least the font seems like it'd be easy to find.

A sentence that foone loves to read

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

kirbysuperstar posted:

A sentence that foone loves to read

I mean, there happens to be a directory merely named "FONT" and under it is one file named "FONTDATA.BIN", which is presumably compressed the same way everything else is. It could be worse than it seems though, I don't claim to be an expert on any of this and I can't really see much with everything being compressed.

The last game I was messing with uses the BIOS's font of all things- a matter that makes it easy to find but incredibly hard to work with. Either ASM hack the whole font system to read from one you put in manually (a ton of work), or do the incredibly jank thing of writing a separate patch for the BIOS (and given how many BIOS revisions there are for the PS1...)

At the end of the day, the game I really want inside of is Bealphareth, but I've yet to figure out what or how it's compressing things nor do I really have the overall skill to do anything with it when I do.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

FirstAidKite posted:

Barudak posted:

Its the straight to DVD of RPGs, the Roger Corman of publishers. They have one huge advantage though which is usually they're 10-20 hours so they're all very briskly and pleasantly paced.

Pretty much agree. Kemco does budget RPGs on multiple platforms. If you want a generic RPG on your cell phone, you could certainly do worse. As a publisher, they work with multiple developers, so mileage could vary there.

I am actually playing a Kemco game right now! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1840510/Legend_of_Ixtona/

I like tactical RPGs, and I enjoy a bit of jank. I was drawn to trying Ixtona out because I heard it gives you Shadows of Valentia style summons that still earn XP for the summoner when they attack, allowing you to just idle in the corner and let your minions grind you to supremacy. So far, I've been having a decent time.

The writing is functional, but I can definitely see the limitations of their budget. The big dramatic game of thrones style betrayal at the start is clearly glossed over because character art and cgs cost money. The charm comes from how they creatively use the very very limited resources they have.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Odd Wilson posted:

I mean, there happens to be a directory merely named "FONT" and under it is one file named "FONTDATA.BIN", which is presumably compressed the same way everything else is. It could be worse than it seems though, I don't claim to be an expert on any of this and I can't really see much with everything being compressed.

The last game I was messing with uses the BIOS's font of all things- a matter that makes it easy to find but incredibly hard to work with. Either ASM hack the whole font system to read from one you put in manually (a ton of work), or do the incredibly jank thing of writing a separate patch for the BIOS (and given how many BIOS revisions there are for the PS1...)

At the end of the day, the game I really want inside of is Bealphareth, but I've yet to figure out what or how it's compressing things nor do I really have the overall skill to do anything with it when I do.

oh man I would love to see Bealphareth translated some day, that game seems extremely cool

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my impression with gunparade is that the issue of translating it is the sheer amount of dialog. it's got a dense script that's heavy on variation depending on what happens in a single run. the most likely odds of it getting a tl seem to be if the devs go through with the pc release they've been teasing, they seem intent on getting the rights to it from sony for a rerelease of some kind

in any case it's a series of games i'm intent on playing some day but my japanese is still like, barely mediocre at best. i've been clawing my way through games for practice but gunparade's still far outside my reach, i'm already struggling through twilight syndrome and fate/extra ccc right now because i just couldn't keep myself from playing them any longer and i'm barely managing with either at times. but man i wanted to see why the spooky ghost investigation games are considered classics of the psx and i wanted to play the psp fate jrpg where picking the female protag results in the game opening with her giving you several dramatic monologs about how beautiful she thinks women are. and i gotta say both games are good

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 20, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Odd Wilson posted:

Wow, that's a new one to me. I didn't even know the PS1 BIOS had a font that games could access.

https://psx-spx.consoledev.net/kernelbios/#bios-character-sets

Well whaddya know!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

how was xenoblade 2? i need to replay 1 before 3 comes out and man i love it, but i havent even played or looked at 2, but i guess thats on the list now and soon!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

queeb posted:

how was xenoblade 2? i need to replay 1 before 3 comes out and man i love it, but i havent even played or looked at 2, but i guess thats on the list now and soon!

it's not great! it's not great. a traffic accident of disparate systems and art direction with mediocre VA (Rex especially is notorious for having battle cries that sound more like very long yawns) and graphics that suffer from the switch's hardware more than usual

the dlc is supposedly much better but it's also full of story spoilers

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

queeb posted:

I played it and had a decent enough time while doing so but more time has had me sour on it significantly, looking back, to the point that I'm probably not going to pick up XC3 on release and I'll wait to hear if it's actually worth the time.

You may enjoy it more than I did, though, plenty of people did.

Oxxidation posted:

it's not great! it's not great. a traffic accident of disparate systems and art direction with mediocre VA (Rex especially is notorious for having battle cries that sound more like very long yawns) and graphics that suffer from the switch's hardware more than usual

the dlc is supposedly much better but it's also full of story spoilers
Rex is honestly the biggest problem as far as VA goes, and he does get better as the game goes on, but it's still a pretty annoying issue when he's the friggin' protagonist. Most of the VA is substantially better (and welsh Nia is an absolute gem).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Id say if you must play it only play the DLC. It also has a really poorly thought out element, buuut it got rid of like 6 others from the base game. The story in the base game is imo real bad to the point where the writers fumble towards genocide apologia.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Generally the biggest barrier to enjoying Xenoblade 2 is the Blade Gatcha system which people (understandably) dislike. It helps to realize that you don't actually need any of the Blades because the plot-relevant Blades you have are all more than capable of doing their job and doing it well. You can do just fine with the basic cast's Blades + a few the story throws at you and the rest are bonus. Still sucks but it isn't worth stressing out over if you just want to play the plot.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Levantine posted:

I just Platinumed Elden Ring and I'm not sure what to play next. I may have to take a break because hoo-boy what a game that was.

I realized I never played Torna and I loved XBC2 so maybe I'll go back to that. There's Relayer but I"m kind of waiting on a sale. Same with FF Stranger in Paradise or whatever. I feel like I need something simple and fun as a pallette cleanser. Maybe Grandia? I haven't played that in decades. Is the remaster or whatever any good?

crystal project has been a good elden ring palatte cleanser for me. its very good and chill

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

Id say if you must play it only play the DLC. It also has a really poorly thought out element, buuut it got rid of like 6 others from the base game. The story in the base game is imo real bad to the point where the writers fumble towards genocide apologia.

The problem is the story in the DLC isn't really standalone. It's a sliced-out piece of XBC2 that got expanded into a decent-length little game and relies heavily on you knowing outside context for what's going on and how it relates to everything else. Even the ending is just an abrupt "You already know how this ends... bye! :wave:

ImpAtom posted:

Generally the biggest barrier to enjoying Xenoblade 2 is the Blade Gatcha system which people (understandably) dislike. It helps to realize that you don't actually need any of the Blades because the plot-relevant Blades you have are all more than capable of doing their job and doing it well. You can do just fine with the basic cast's Blades + a few the story throws at you and the rest are bonus. Still sucks but it isn't worth stressing out over if you just want to play the plot.

Even just a casual playthrough's going to see you get a lot of the Rare Blades by chance, it's only if you're trying to get ALL of them that you'll get hosed by the odds. What they really needed in the extra content they added later was some post-game means to just buy the ones you're missing outright.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You'll get a few rares but they won't be good. No KOS-MOS for you, enjoy Godfrey.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is the story in the DLC isn't really standalone. It's a sliced-out piece of XBC2 that got expanded into a decent-length little game and relies heavily on you knowing outside context for what's going on and how it relates to everything else. Even the ending is just an abrupt "You already know how this ends... bye! :wave:

Even just a casual playthrough's going to see you get a lot of the Rare Blades by chance, it's only if you're trying to get ALL of them that you'll get hosed by the odds. What they really needed in the extra content they added later was some post-game means to just buy the ones you're missing outright.

All three Xenoblade games fuckin' hate completionists.

Edit: So does Xenogears. Xenosaga is... mostly okay I think?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Rex isn't the worst VA, he's fine whenever he's not yelling. The worst is either Patroka or most Blades (both Common and Rare).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i dont think the xenosaga games had any important missable stuff. all 3 games were very generous in that sense iirc