Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

that saki episode where the girl has to push her future sight power to the limit is the most intense match I've seen in a sports anime. i forget if it's in season 1 or achiga-hen

achiga i think and this!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Nana. Like, 75% of the cast are beautiful people with attachment issues.

I'm going to give the same advice I got on this one - don't watch the last episode and instead imagine an actually satisfying / good ending. I should have listened to that advice.

But Nana is really sad and everyone gets hurt a lot, so I'm not sure that's exactly what you're looking for. To be honest, I can't think of an anime where casual sex is a thing without it also hitting you over the head with "casual sex is bad and will lead to your ruin." Anime is weird about sex. If you are looking for "everyone is broken and desperate for love but only finding empty sex," then Nana is great.

Edit: One of the main characters in Great Pretender acts like a playboy but actually had a traumatic relationship thing and also it's a great show. But it doesn't really focus on that aspect for 90% of it. It does have a really great cold open though.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 20, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

Nana. Like, 75% of the cast are beautiful people with attachment issues.
Thanks for the rec! I'm checking it out now. The first couple eps are slow-ish but I'm on episode 4 now and getting into it.

KillHour posted:

I'm going to give the same advice I got on this one - don't watch the last episode and instead imagine an actually satisfying / good ending. I should have listened to that advice.

But Nana is really sad and everyone gets hurt a lot, so I'm not sure that's exactly what you're looking for. To be honest, I can't think of an anime where casual sex is a thing without it also hitting you over the head with "casual sex is bad and will lead to your ruin." Anime is weird about sex. If you are looking for "everyone is broken and desperate for love but only finding empty sex," then Nana is great.
I'm down to check out whatever's out there. I guess what I'm specifically going for is a character knowingly and specifically looking for empty sex and trying to keep it from getting any deeper. Nana seems like it might hit close-ish to that, but I'm still open to any other recommendations :)

e: Great Pretender sounds interesting. What's the name of the character?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Thanks for the rec! I'm checking it out now. The first couple eps are slow-ish but I'm on episode 4 now and getting into it.

I'm down to check out whatever's out there. I guess what I'm specifically going for is a character knowingly and specifically looking for empty sex and trying to keep it from getting any deeper. Nana seems like it might hit close-ish to that, but I'm still open to any other recommendations :)

Laurent. It's a show about con men though, so sex is used as a device to get what they want more than it is about filling a hole in their hearts. The hole filling is done with money. It also has some of the best twists ever in a TV show, IMO.

Edit: Here's the Wikipedia description of him edited to remove spoilers:

quote:

He operates as a gentleman thief, only targeting rich, corrupt people who are a negative influence to society. He uses the scams to expose his targets for their misdeeds, while helping those who were victimized by their targets live honest and happy lives. While ruthless toward his victims, he treats his comrades and associates like a family. He has a flirtatious nature and is a reputed playboy.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Lol cool, I'll check it out anyway, thanks!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Norba Shino in Iron Blooded Orphans spends most of the series spending his paychecks on empty sex, if you're looking for more example. Flirts tend to be common in anime, mech or otherwise, but actually sealing the deal is less common in non-giant-robot stuff.

Edit: Just remembered Lupin III, from the long running series of the same name. Both he and his primary love interest, Fujiko Mine, go in for a lot of sex with other people because, hey, they like sex.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

chiasaur11 posted:

Norba Shino in Iron Blooded Orphans spends most of the series spending his paychecks on empty sex, if you're looking for more example. Flirts tend to be common in anime, mech or otherwise, but actually sealing the deal is less common in non-giant-robot stuff.

Edit: Just remembered Lupin III, from the long running series of the same name. Both he and his primary love interest, Fujiko Mine, go in for a lot of sex with other people because, hey, they like sex.

I'm familiar with Lupin, never heard of Iron Blooded Orphans. Paying for sex isn't quite the angle I'm looking for but I'll check out the series! Thank you!

Also good points all around regarding the role of sex and depictions of casual sex in anime. Something I never really explicitly noticed or thought about before, but interesting to consider.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

KillHour posted:

I also recommend either continuing with the manga or just stopping after the second-to-last episode. The anime stops at volume 12 where the manga starts inserting chapters which take place after a long time jump. The anime's last episode is one of those time jumps, but it doesn't provide any context or follow up. It just ends leaving anime watchers wondering WTF.

Apparently, they intended on finishing the adaptation once the manga finished, but it's been on hiatus since like 2010, so that'll never happen. :v:

Edit: Aaaaand, I just found out Olivia did a live music video for WISH. :psyduck: How have I never seen this?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 21, 2022

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

On the anime being funny about casual sex kick, the ultimate is school days.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I liked Great Pretender but wouldn't say it's got a "playboy" character much, or at least there's no central arc surrounding it that I remember?

Nana starts slow but then hits the gas and doesn't let up. It's soul-wrenching and I loved ever minute of it.

Paradise Kiss (also great) is from the same person and the antagonist is a flamboyant fashionista man slut, and I consider myself somewhat of an expert on flamboyant fashionista man slutisms

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 23, 2022

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

This might be a bit too loose of an ask but here goes:

I'm thinking of subbing to hidive because funimation is going/gone and I'm just not spending enough money on anime streaming with just crunchyroll, apparently. I've skimmed the catalog and I'm looking at rewatching some classic stuff I've already seen like
- wings of honneamise
- classic logh
- big o
- patlabor

I'm also looking at some classic stuff I've heard of but have never seen like
- space runaway ideon
- space adventure cobra
- votoms

and some more recent shows I've seen mentioned around here like
- revue starlight
- bloom into you (read maybe 5 chapters of this and liked it)
- lupin pt 6 (okay I haven't really seen anyone talking about this but I like lupin)
- o maidens in your savage season

Anything else on hidive I should check out? My interests are pretty broad (dunno if this list shows that or not). I just like anime.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

I'm thinking of subbing to hidive because funimation is going/gone and I'm just not spending enough money on anime streaming with just crunchyroll, apparently. I've skimmed the catalog and I'm looking at rewatching some classic stuff I've already seen like
- wings of honneamise
- classic logh
- big o
- patlabor

- space runaway ideon
- space adventure cobra
- votoms

- revue starlight
- lupin pt 6 (okay I haven't really seen anyone talking about this but I like lupin)

Anything else on hidive I should check out? My interests are pretty broad (dunno if this list shows that or not). I just like anime.

I've actually talked some about Lupin Part 6, because it sucks. (And I can talk more about it sucking if anyone asks.) For this season Hi Dive has "It's Ya Boy, Konming!", which is worth checking out. They also have the movie version of Gunbuster, which is sadly the only version of the series for legal streaming. Not as good as the full thing, but better than nothing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

- wings of honneamise
- classic logh
- big o
- patlabor

- space runaway ideon
- space adventure cobra
- votoms

- revue starlight

Glass Mask is on Hidive and rules if you want some wild 80s anime melodrama about acting (which is something everyone should want, really).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah i would 100% vouch for the 80s Glass Mask anime, it's great for that kind of dramatic shojo itch.

looking through, some other stuff:

Girl's Last Tour
Kino's Journey
Kokkoku
Moribito
Princess Tutu
Land of the Lustrous
Kaiji (they've got both seasons + the excellent comedy spinoff Tonegawa's Management Blues)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

"It's Ya Boy, Konming!"

gently caress yes I forgot about this

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
In addition to what others have said, Akanesasu Shoujo (The Girl in Twilight)

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I'm glad I asked! thanks everyone

Srice posted:

Glass Mask is on Hidive and rules if you want some wild 80s anime melodrama about acting (which is something everyone should want, really).

I've heard of Glass Mask and it sounds awesome so putting it on the list.

Wow I did not look carefully at the hidive catalog at all apparently, lol. I'd love to rewatch GLT, Tutu, houseki and kaiji. Kino's a big blind spot though and the rest of these sound great - throwing them on there

Julias posted:

In addition to what others have said, Akanesasu Shoujo (The Girl in Twilight)

This was written by the guy behind ai: somnium files and zero escape? sick

chiasaur11 posted:

I've actually talked some about Lupin Part 6, because it sucks. (And I can talk more about it sucking if anyone asks.) For this season Hi Dive has "It's Ya Boy, Konming!", which is worth checking out. They also have the movie version of Gunbuster, which is sadly the only version of the series for legal streaming. Not as good as the full thing, but better than nothing.

that's a shame about lupin (I'll probably watch an ep or 3 anyway just to know). and kongming sounds great, I'll probably check it out when it's done

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

that's a shame about lupin (I'll probably watch an ep or 3 anyway just to know). and kongming sounds great, I'll probably check it out when it's done

Lupin's a mix of standalone episodes and arcs, so there's some worth checking out. The Oshii episodes are weird in a fun way, so I'd recommend them if you like his style, and some of the standalones in the second half were alright. The main plots, though, are bad.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Srice posted:

dogsicle posted:

yeah i would 100% vouch for the 80s Glass Mask anime, it's great for that kind of dramatic shojo itch.

Oh nice, thank you both for the rec that I didn't even need to ask for. I recently watched Skip Beat and the original Fruits Basket (after enjoying the new one), and would love to see older and wackier shoujo. Big Kodocha fan here.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if you've got CR or don't mind :filez: there's also Hanasakeru Seishonen, an 00s adaptation of an 80s shojo manga. it starts as the lead's industrialist father proposing an arranged marriage game and culminates in a web of intrigue over the line of succession in a Southeast Asian monarchy.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

dogsicle posted:

if you've got CR or don't mind :filez: there's also Hanasakeru Seishonen, an 00s adaptation of an 80s shojo manga. it starts as the lead's industrialist father proposing an arranged marriage game and culminates in a web of intrigue over the line of succession in a Southeast Asian monarchy.

Fantastic, thanks.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

a Southeast Asian monarchy.

thank you

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hey thread what are the best card game anime? I've watched all the yugiohs and consider myself a fan of the genre but aside from a couple of other shows I actually haven't watched too many. I'm in the mood for some card games though and i'm not sure which shows have the best rep.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hey thread what are the best card game anime? I've watched all the yugiohs and consider myself a fan of the genre but aside from a couple of other shows I actually haven't watched too many. I'm in the mood for some card games though and i'm not sure which shows have the best rep.

The Cardfight Vanguard anime has basically been airing for over ten years, but it's strongest material is in the first few seasons of G (G, GIRS Crisis, Stride Gate). It's got lots of good antics (one of the early antagonists is voiced by Koyasu and at one point he rides a horse straight down the sheer face side of a skyscraper), but it also has legitimately good character drama writing about finding a passion through the community brought about by playing card games. Also, they play a drafted game at one point which I've never seen done in any other card game anime.

Build Divide is currently airing and also pretty cool. The mystery of the setting is basically the driving force here (better to go in blind on this, but they do things like show childhood flashbacks exclusively in a letterboxed 4:3 aspect ratio and do not explain why), but there's occasionally some fun bits with the protagonist acting all confident about winning and then revealing he mathed out the probabilities of what cards were remaining in his opponent's deck. It can be kind of hard to follow the game with how often Aniplex throws in obvious translation mistakes though.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Yo I'm on the search for mecha animes with a medieval/sorta low-tech setting. Something in the lane of Broken Blade, Knights & Magic, or War on Geminar. Would be cool if anyone itt has something :cheers:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tin Tim posted:

Yo I'm on the search for mecha animes with a medieval/sorta low-tech setting. Something in the lane of Broken Blade, Knights & Magic, or War on Geminar. Would be cool if anyone itt has something :cheers:

dunbine is the easiest example for this that 90% of fantasy mecha is taking their notes from. it's got more bouncing between fantasy world and modern day earth but largely everyone's using their weird fantasy robot tech and all of the fantasy people dress like they're medieval and wear big clunky suits of armor while they pilot their robots

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Escaflowne is generally well regarded, for another one, and there's Panzer World Galient for another 80s show if you finish Dunbine.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Theres also Orguss and Orguss 02, the tv series is eh but the 02 OVA is pretty great and doesn't really require any knowledge of the original.

I guess Magic Knight Rayearth counts too?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

The Cardfight Vanguard anime has basically been airing for over ten years, but it's strongest material is in the first few seasons of G (G, GIRS Crisis, Stride Gate). It's got lots of good antics (one of the early antagonists is voiced by Koyasu and at one point he rides a horse straight down the sheer face side of a skyscraper), but it also has legitimately good character drama writing about finding a passion through the community brought about by playing card games. Also, they play a drafted game at one point which I've never seen done in any other card game anime.

Build Divide is currently airing and also pretty cool. The mystery of the setting is basically the driving force here (better to go in blind on this, but they do things like show childhood flashbacks exclusively in a letterboxed 4:3 aspect ratio and do not explain why), but there's occasionally some fun bits with the protagonist acting all confident about winning and then revealing he mathed out the probabilities of what cards were remaining in his opponent's deck. It can be kind of hard to follow the game with how often Aniplex throws in obvious translation mistakes though.

Thanks, Vanguard looks like it's exactly what I was looking for.

Also watched the first episode of Build Divide and while it's not the vibe I was expecting it being so different is worth giving trying a couple more episodes to see if it will hook me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

I guess Magic Knight Rayearth counts too?

would not rec rayearth for mecha action. there's some cool designs in s2 but s1 is 90% on foot magical girl adventuring and fights and even when it does get to the mech fights in s2 they're, still presented basically more like magical girl ones. it's decidedly more magical girl than mecha and not always in the most exciting ways

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

The Colonel posted:

dunbine is the easiest example for this that 90% of fantasy mecha is taking their notes from.

chiasaur11 posted:

Escaflowne is generally well regarded, for another one, and there's Panzer World Galient for another 80s show if you finish Dunbine.

Sakurazuka posted:

Theres also Orguss and Orguss 02, the tv series is eh but the 02 OVA is pretty great and doesn't really require any knowledge of the original.
Thx for the tips I'll go check those out

Also wow Orguss is a blast from the past. As a kid I picked up a cool looking box with three little toy robots (probably a knock-off tbh) and only many years later while finding the tattered rest of one of them I figured out what I bought back then. Rip to those little toy guys they were nifty tbh :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tangentially, can anyone remember the name of a show from the 90's (or possibly 80's) that's like SD looking mecha in a fantasy world (I think)? Might have 'Knight' in the name.

Not Gundam.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Tangentially, can anyone remember the name of a show from the 90's (or possibly 80's) that's like SD looking mecha in a fantasy world (I think)? Might have 'Knight' in the name.

Not Gundam.

Lord of Lords: Ryu Knight.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cheers, that's it

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Hi guys, during the pandemic I started watching a lot of anime and now that I've finished several really long good series I'm looking for stuff that can kind of fill the void. I wondered what you might recommend based off my lift of most enjoyed series?

Yu Yu Hakusho
Demon Slayer
Full Metal Alchemist (both series)
InuYasha + Yashahime
Dr Stone
Evangelion

Stuff I've watched a few episodes of but am struggling to get into:

Hunter x Hunter
Attack On Titan
Black Clover
Re:Zero
Bungou Stray Dogs
Fate/Zero
Code Geass

I'm not sure if this is the done thing but if anyone wants to see the full list of shows I've completed > https://myanimelist.net/profile/Whimsicalfuckery

PS I'm not just into shows with 100+ episodes, I'll give most anything a try! Thank you <3

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's really hard for me to tell if you'd like something or bounce off of it going by that list, but I'm going to suggest Senki Zesshou Symphogear since I think it's a blend of various things that you seem to really enjoy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hunter x hunter picks up but the first few episodes are the weakest, it takes until the hunter exam proper to start settling in which is around like, episode 5.

if you're not into fate/zero i wouldn't say you should force yourself. as a fan of the series and having enjoyed stuff from the writer it's got some fun bits in it but it's largely my least favorite from both. though fate anime is kind of messy as an entry point in general, most adaptations are either kinda messy to watch on their own or they're animating weaker material

gunbuster and diebuster are another obvious area of gainax mecha to watch next to eva, though their streaming rights are weird. you can find the gunbuster movie streaming some places i think but not the ova and crunchyroll lists diebuster as gunbuster 2

birdy the mighty decode's a pretty solid action sci-fi anime, first season's a bit all over the place but it's got cool animation and a fun premise and the second season is a huge step up narratively. ova's good too, entirely different in tone and narrative and more of a cheesy short form action romp. dont know if either are streaming anywhere though they might be lost in rights hell

martian successor nadesico's a good mecha anime from around the same era as eva, has lots of cool visuals and a really wild tone and narrative since it's a collaborative effort between a lot of different anime writers from around that time. if you like the original plot stuff in fma 2003 one of the lead writers on it was the guy who wrote that, it's one of my favorite things he's written. easy to stream too

darker than black is a good mix of spy espionage thriller stuff with crazy shonen action scenes and gimmicks, whole idea is that everyone who can use a super power has to complete a little ritual every time they use it so you get lots of creative ideas for what kind of annoying ritual they all have to do and how it might poetically tie into the power they use. has more of an episodic structure but the episodes string pretty well into a longer narrative about a grizzled dark assassin man reconnecting with his empathy for other people. season 2 is weird though and season 1 basically stands well enough as its own story so if you get there i'd recommend just, looking at s2 as somewhat its own weird loosely connected show

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 26, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, if you like 86, there's a chance you'll like Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. It's got less combat against mad AIs and more human on human violence, with Mikazuki being even less well adjusted than Shin, but there's a lot of common ground, and the author's notes suggest that it was something that the writer of 86 had as an inspiration when writing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's not done but if you want sick animation Jujutsin kaisen.

AOT gets better after the first season.

HxH gets very very very good but it's a slow start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what you liked about those shows and why you bounced off the others would probably be helpful