Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
There's also probably some degree of wanting to not do things so they can keep saying they'll do those things. If they cancel student loan debt, they can't campaign on cancelling student loan debt anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nebrilos posted:

Are they really just going to quietly let themselves lose

Democrats.txt

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Nebrilos posted:

This is what I don't get. They know they are about to be murdered, so why don't they cancel student loan debt, raise the minimum wage, and/or legalize weed? I imagine they would be more popular with voters if they passed policies that are popular and/or that they promised they would do.

Are they really just going to quietly let themselves lose and then blame progressives again?

They've gotten real used to the threat of Republicans getting power being the reason to vote for them and keep expecting that to work. And if it doesn't, they won't suffer so they have no reason to really care.

Nebrilos posted:

Maybe the prison industrial complex doesn't like weed legalization.

Plus police have one less excuse to harass and arrest people.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nebrilos posted:

Maybe the prison industrial complex doesn't like weed legalization.

Tobacco companies too for obvious reasons.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nebrilos posted:

This is what I don't get. They know they are about to be murdered, so why don't they cancel student loan debt, raise the minimum wage, and/or legalize weed? I imagine they would be more popular with voters if they passed policies that are popular and/or that they promised they would do.

Are they really just going to quietly let themselves lose and then blame progressives again?

Politics is really just a process of validating the feelings of politicians about how the world should work, and everything else is a side effect.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Tobacco companies too for obvious reasons.

Tobacco and beverage companies can't loving wait for weed, they've already started investing massively in other companies

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

There are vanishingly few people who think spontaneous doubling in size of celestial bodies is an acceptable Occam's Razor alternative to "an observed force, called gravity"

That puts him in a very, very special camp in my mind. Camp Whatta-Psycho

the gently caress does this even mean. does he think that the earth just inflates it self in size and this is gravity????

e: oopps qouted and commented on something from 4 pages ago.

but lol at the page 1605 top post/snipe

"We'll disprove evolution in your lifetime.
Time isn't linear because of the double slit experiment, and specifically non-linear in such a way as to affect your daily life"

Lol dilbert buritto, or dilburrito inventor Adams is stupid as gently caress.

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 04:54 on Apr 20, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

https://twitter.com/Mar2Tatted/status/1516512097701666824

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

As a vegan all I can say is I'm not a woman.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Where do these idiots hear this stuff?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

TontoCorazon posted:

Tobacco and beverage companies can't loving wait for weed, they've already started investing massively in other companies
Yeah, money's money and then there's this:

They'll just switch their farms over to that and shift to synthetic nicotine or produce it with bacteria or some poo poo

I think mostly it's social conservatism, the prison-industrial complex and dickbags like Biden who at least partially are just too narcissistic to admit their bullshit did more harm than goid

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Probably from someone who invented a product to clean the plaque off your vagina walls for the low low price of $39.99

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

PhazonLink posted:

the gently caress does this even mean. does he think that the earth just inflates it self in size and this is gravity????

Basically yes, he heard the argument that “evolution is just a theory, that’s not the same as a fact,” the counter “well gravity is also just a theory but you’ll happily accept that as fact” and decided that he could out-stupid everyone and developed his own “theory” of gravity; that objects are rapidly expanding and things falling down is just them and the earth expanding and bonking together.

He proudly proclaimed that this was as valid as actual science and no one could refute it, and when people pointed out the many faults he argued that he didn’t understand the explanation and therefore it didn’t count, or that things like orbits were obviously some unrelated undiscovered phenomenon and he didn’t have to account for those.

Because of course he did because the alternative would be admitting that there are people smarter than Scott Dilbertman, which is the one physical impossibility.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Skwirl posted:

Probably from someone who invented a product to clean the plaque off your vagina walls for the low low price of $39.99

ah the ol' vag toothbrush

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

Talking about 50s pedo scifi, John Varley was one of my favorite writers as a teenager when I'd read one or two of his books... I later read a collection of short stories, all of which I think were fine but for the last one, that was about a normal human dude walking into a tribe of people who had no sense of sight or sound. And lo a prepubescent naked girl teaches him the ways of their tribe, mostly through touching. Lots of touching. And later a full blown orgy.

John Varley also wrote this wonderful Hugo award winning story:

Plot twist: He is going on a trip at relativistic speeds, so time dilation will make the girl age-appropriate when he returns. Haha, you thought he was a pedophile, but it's actually heart-warming!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ironically, I'm listening to an old F Plus about something similar to that right now. Dude's name is Dr Sebi, aka Alfredo Bowman and he has this entire thing about how pigs are made of worms and acid is killing you and rice is plastic and eating certain foods causes menopause by clogging your tubes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

SimonChris posted:

Plot twist: He is going on a trip at relativistic speeds, so time dilation will make the girl age-appropriate when he returns. Haha, you thought he was a pedophile, but it's actually heart-warming!

Why were so many sci-fi dudes so weird and gross.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kenning posted:

Why were so many dudes so weird and gross.

ftfy

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The proportion of all dudes in general who have publicly professed a desire to gently caress tweens vs. the proportion of sci-fi authors who have publicly professed same isn't even close though.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

SimonChris posted:

What the gently caress

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kenning posted:

The proportion of all dudes in general who have publicly professed a desire to gently caress tweens vs. the proportion of sci-fi authors who have publicly professed same isn't even close though.

Or at least it seems to be weirdly universal among "well regarded" authors?

Is there a scifi review body made out of nonces or something?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kenning posted:

The proportion of all dudes in general who have publicly professed a desire to gently caress neonates vs. the proportion of sci-fi authors who have publicly professed same isn't even close though.

I think that's just either most dudes not having the same platform, or the vagaries of western culture make it such that sci-fi writers who write about loving tweens and teenagers are able to find larger platforms than the sci-fi writers who don't. "Sci-fi writers famous enough for most sci-fi fans to know who they are" is an insanely small sample size.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

SimonChris posted:

people in the sff thread are constantly talking about how great he is lmao

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

SimonChris posted:

This is not helping!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

SimonChris posted:

Another one is totally normal guy Robert Heinlein's Door Into Summer, in which he he travels back in time and before going into hibernation he visits an 11-year-old daughter of a business partner at girl scout camp and has her go into hibernation when she becomes an adult so they could bang in the future

Were?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Skwirl posted:

The Democrats are about to get absolutely murdered in the mid terms, so not really.

The party in power often loses seats in midterms after their candidate takes the white house because the voting public are a bunch of callow dumb dumbs

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i don't think heinlein has ever been described as a normal guy

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Kenning posted:

Why were so many sci-fi dudes so weird and gross.

Sci-fi (and fantasy) allows you for several venues/contrivancies to make weird sex stuff "totally ok, you guys"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes but you could go for the iain m banks approach and have your weird sex stuff be "everyone can have whatever kind of sex they want because you can have whatever kind of body you like but you should still be consenting adults"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

The party in power often loses seats in midterms after their candidate takes the white house because the voting public are a bunch of callow dumb dumbs

Bush Jr and Trump didn't lose both houses in their first terms, and historically it hasn't been that common for control to switch so loving often, that's a recent development. From 1933 to 1995 Democrats had control of both houses of Congress except for the 47-49 and 53-55 sessions.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

moonmazed posted:

i don't think heinlein has ever been described as a normal guy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1516610542588284931?s=20&t=oddO9ua2bT81KKYPw3ClHg

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"I've worked for some of the most powerful humans alive" like yeah mate so has everyone at amazon or in the army.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Yes but you could go for the iain m banks approach and have your weird sex stuff be "everyone can have whatever kind of sex they want because you can have whatever kind of body you like but you should still be consenting adults"

He was too good for this hellworld

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

"I've worked for some of the most powerful humans alive" like yeah mate so has everyone at amazon or in the army.

I work at the post office, so don't I technically work for the President? I did have to swear to uphold the constitution.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Skwirl posted:

Bush Jr and Trump didn't lose both houses in their first terms, and historically it hasn't been that common for control to switch so loving often, that's a recent development. From 1933 to 1995 Democrats had control of both houses of Congress except for the 47-49 and 53-55 sessions.

Bush Jr and Trump are exceptional cases, the former had 9/11 only 14 months before and was riding that high still. Trump is always a weird case because a decent chunk of his followers do not act like typical republican voters, but dems still picked up 41 house seats and 7 governorships, and many of the senate seats up for election were in deep red areas. It wasn't a total washout but it was still a decisive turn.

I acknowledge that this midterm might not be a massacre. Ukraine and the pandemic are mixing things up a little, particularly with trump's continued existence and his extremely unpopular attitude regarding the former. I think unless something wild happens 4-6 months from now it's going to be really bad though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Skwirl posted:

I work at the post office, so don't I technically work for the President? I did have to swear to uphold the constitution.
defend it from enemies foreign and domestic :pervert:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Nebrilos posted:

They'd prefer to all keep their jobs, even if that means being reduced to a controlled opposition in a one party state, rather than actually being in power.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

defend it from enemies foreign and domestic :pervert:

I don't think defending it was part of the oath, which is good because I don't particularly like the constitution. Like the Senate is a dumb as poo poo idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It means the physical document. You are legally obligated to steal it if you think it's under threat.