Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Already Here!

Ted Rall posted:

From gas prices to inflation, President Joe Biden is determined to blame Russia for everything that’s going wrong — even stuff that happened before Russia invaded Ukraine.

First Dog on the Moon: Is this the worst but also most important federal election in like forever?

The most accurate take on the Australian election in a cartoon so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trapezium Dave posted:

Ted's really outdone himself with this one. It's like an onion of fallacies.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

First Dog on the Moon: Is this the worst but also most important federal election in like forever?

The most accurate take on the Australian election in a cartoon so far.

gently caress, this mirrors Polish politics perfectly save for the candidate names :negative:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Dana get audited or something?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cowcaster posted:

you'd think there'd be at least a couple straight up and down facts tossed in the mix here to dilute it a bit, but no, literally every single example is a complete lie

Men can't be women. That's why conversion therapy doesn't work and the only way for a trans man to alleviate his gender dysphoria is to stop trying to be a woman.

Also, idk if CRT is Marxism, but that sounds rad so I'm going to believe it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

Lol crime and the border crisis, you're really living up to your leftist credentials there Rall

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In honor of 4/20, can someone post that really bad political cartoon of a hippie smoking weed on grass next to a fence (with the fence and grass proportions messed up) with a cop saying something like "no big deal, they're only smoking weed!" Or something of that nature?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Happy hitler's birthday to one and all

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Squishy posted:

Happy hitler's birthday to one and all

Yesss that's the one!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Light it up!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Saddest thing about that "Sinfest through the years" retrospective was definitely seeing and recalling the honest hope around Obama's election.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Seamus Jennings on the PM’s bandwagon rolling on – Boris Johnson tries to stay in office, while Jacob Rees-Mogg tells civil servants to return there"

Telegraph:

Stop working from home, Jacob Rees-Mogg to tell Civil Service

Matt:

Independent:

Boris Johnson stands by attack on Church of England over immigration

Times:

Evening Standard:

Prince Harry says he is making sure the Queen is ‘protected’ "Are there stairs in your palace?"

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Management?

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!

Adulthood really made an rear end in a top hat out of Bat Boy.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Love how Netflix stock is crashing because it went from 221.8 million subs to…221.6 million.

OH GOD THEY AREN’T ABLE TO GROW INFINITELY SHUT IT ALL DOWN

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Technowolf posted:

Management?

I mean, it's either that, or The Mgt. from the Illuminai series snuck into the white house.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Pants Donkey posted:

Love how Netflix stock is crashing because it went from 221.8 million subs to…221.6 million.

OH GOD THEY AREN’T ABLE TO GROW INFINITELY SHUT IT ALL DOWN

Until every eyeball in the world is stamped by a red 'N' at all hours of the day, are we REALLY being profitable?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Oh no not my walletbutt

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

J.A.B.C. posted:

Until every eyeball in the world is stamped by a red 'N' at all hours of the day, are we REALLY being profitable?

seeing as Netflix only finally turned a profit last year, apparently the answer to your question is no.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Scott Morrison fends off claim Solomon Islands-China pact is worst foreign policy failure since 1945 (Guardian).
MP is Marise Payne, the foreign minister. Z is Zed Seslja, the federal Pacific minister. Zed is a rather junior minister and the only member of government sent to the Solomons in recent months while they knew the deal was imminent - Morrison himself or the foreign minister did not go.

Pope:

David Pope is cartoonist for the Canberra Times so they know Zed Seslja as their Liberal senator (prior to that territory opposition leader). Zed is potentially in trouble this election as the Morrison government isn't too hot in the ACT. The ACT elects two senators in our preferential system which usually means it's a lock for one Labor, one Liberal (Zed) but there is a big push from both Greens and a green-friendly platform independent (former rugby player David Pocock) so Zed has been warning about the "extreme greens".

Shakespeare:

Playing "April Sun in Cuba" on the ukulele is what Scott Morrison did in an interview with 60 Minutes which why this keeps coming up in all the cartoons.

Lethbridge:

First cruise ship to arrive in Australia for two years due to COVID-19 pandemic docks in Sydney (ABC).

Herbert:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Zali Steggall is the independent MP (and former Olympic alpine skier) in Tony Abbott's old seat that is up against Katherine Deyes, Morrison's hand picked candidate who was apparently picked entirely for her campaign against trans people in sport (which has then spiraled as all her other views of LGBT+ people on social media are being dug up). There is a theory that the reason Morrison put Deyes in this position isn't so she wins but so this can be an issue in the campaign.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

This is the most boomer thing I've seen in months.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Even the joke's set-up sucks. Netflix is known for producing too few shows to binge watch, sure.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

You know what this Prickly City 'storyline' makes me think of, more than anything? A show without any kind of budget, like those sitcoms where they'd leave the main set, then come back saying things like "wow that party was wild!" or "you should have seen the big game!", except this is a cartoon strip where they could draw anything they want, they're just too lazy, and too afraid of saying anything that might be mistaken for an opinion. Do we see anything about the election? No, of course not, but it's a nailbiter trust us.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

kartikeya posted:

You know what this Prickly City 'storyline' makes me think of, more than anything? A show without any kind of budget, like those sitcoms where they'd leave the main set, then come back saying things like "wow that party was wild!" or "you should have seen the big game!", except this is a cartoon strip where they could draw anything they want, they're just too lazy, and too afraid of saying anything that might be mistaken for an opinion. Do we see anything about the election? No, of course not, but it's a nailbiter trust us.

Yep, you just spent more time thinking about Prickly City than Scott Stantis does.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Worth noting that past the headlines and talking points on this, the underlying law that the Republicans are using to do this also bars things like Common Core, which is almost certainly the actual basis for all the rejections.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Discendo Vox posted:

Worth noting that past the headlines and talking points on this, the underlying law that the Republicans are using to do this also bars things like Common Core, which is almost certainly the actual basis for all the rejections.

From Florida's government:

quote:

78 of 132 total submitted textbooks are being included on the state’s adopted list.
28 (21 percent) are not included on the adopted list because they incorporate prohibited topics or unsolicited strategies, including CRT.
12 (9 percent) are not included on the adopted list because they do not properly align to B.E.S.T. Standards.
14 (11 percent) are not included on the adopted list because they do not properly align to B.E.S.T. Standards and incorporate prohibited topics or unsolicited strategies, including CRT.

e: The title of their press release is "Florida Rejects Publishers’ Attempts to Indoctrinate Students"

Second edit: Hey look, DeSantis actually correctly defines CRT

quote:

In 2021, DeSantis banned the teaching of critical race theory, which he described as "the theory that racism is not merely the product of prejudice, but that racism is embedded in American society and its legal systems in order to uphold the supremacy of white person."

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 21, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

kartikeya posted:

I, too, often find myself reminded of something whenever these lazy storylines get dragged out in PC, to whit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Stultus Maximus posted:

e: The title of their press release is "Florida Rejects Publishers’ Attempts to Indoctrinate Students"

There is a non-zero chance they simply took pdf versions of these textbooks, did word searches on them for terms like "inequality," "radical," and "trans" and since those are all over math books that resulted in bans.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can't find the specific screenshot, but someone managed to actually wrangle an example out of them, and it was a textbook that included Social-Emotional Learning in its curriculum, on the very reasonable grounds that this was both a good thing to teach kids and learning math through the lens of treating your fellow people like humans and them returning the favor demonstrably improved students' retention rate. The ban reason was "math should only be numbers."

You're looking for the stupidest explanation, which is often a fair bet, but in this case it's actually the evilest explanation.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, in this context, "prohibited topics or unsolicited strategies" includes Common Core.

edit: a few sentences up in the same press release:

quote:

Reasons for rejecting textbooks included references to Critical Race Theory (CRT), inclusions of Common Core, and the unsolicited addition of Social Emotional Learning (SEL) in mathematics.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Kellies Nomination : Least concealed bigotry LGBTIQ+]

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Nick Anderson

Robert Ariail

Clay Bennett

Stuart Carlson

Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

Al Goodwyn

Walt Handelsman

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Jack Ohman

Henry Payne

Rob Rogers

Drew Sheneman

Jeff Stahler

Scott Stantis

Tom Stiglich

Gary Varvel

Matt Wuerker

Tony Branco

quote:

Still Leading From Behind: The Easter Bunny may not be real but the man (Obama) behind the scenes is and still leading from behind.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I genuinely hope they post this exact cartoon every week with the sign changed from now on.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Obama, back from his job at Freddy Fozbear's Pizza Emporium,

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Wallace, wearing Gromit's skin as a suit.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Now every Branco will have a shadow Obama in it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Race, class, gender, and religion are a part of everything, the glasses just let you see them separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Pants Donkey posted:

Now every Branco will have a shadow Obama in it.

Already? He just added the cum a day or two ago!