Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

C-Euro posted:

I know this guy just reposts stuff from Bloomberg but I'm not seeing it on their feed.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/florida-senate-passes-bill-to-eliminate-disneys-special-tax-district-11650473902?mod=Searchresults_pos1&page=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I’m sure there’s something that I’m missing but I’m actually ok with Disney not having governmental powers in the middle of Florida. It always struck me as weird that they did.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

what does ESPN+ offer exactly? ive never really understood the pitch on that one
For me, NHL games that I'm out of the blackout area for. Luckily I'm out of the blackout area for all of them!

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Silly Burrito posted:

Couple of odd games here and there, Peyton’s place and the like but mainly I just use it to read some of the articles that they have behind the plus paywall on their website.

And for the love, just someone offer Redzone/NFL Network for a low monthly fee without anything else.

so I switched over to YoutubeTv a bit ago, which has this add-on:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Silly Burrito posted:

I’m sure there’s something that I’m missing but I’m actually ok with Disney not having governmental powers in the middle of Florida. It always struck me as weird that they did.

The why they're doing it is the annoying part as far as I can tell and the actually doing it's pretty ok is fine in theory? But the why is really, really freaking annoying.

Also I am not up to speed on the way they're going to change things so, yeah that could go wrong real quick. And probably will.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Leperflesh posted:

drat it I was gonna post this exact thing

The supply constraint on oil could be ended tomorrow if the saudis decided they wanted to, but high oil prices are, as always, ridiculously profitable for them, so why would they?

By supply constraints I was talking about shortages of things operators need to in order produce oil domestically (e.g., cement, sand, steel casing, chemical additives, etc.) that are in short supply and that are needed for other industries, like construction.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

JPrime posted:

so I switched over to YoutubeTv a bit ago, which has this add-on:

Thanks. Sling offers something similar but I just want to pay for Redzone by itself. I’ve been using another service for the past few years and they’re likely going away. We’ll see what happens in the fall.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Grittybeard posted:

The why they're doing it is the annoying part as far as I can tell and the actually doing it's pretty ok is fine in theory? But the why is really, really freaking annoying.

Also I am not up to speed on the way they're going to change things so, yeah that could go wrong real quick. And probably will.

Oh the why is insane, no doubt. But if the end result is Disney losing some power :shrug:. They’re just nuts.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Pretty sure Orange County would assume all debts and obligations

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Republicans v Disney is Godzilla v Kong, neither has my interest at heart so gently caress ‘em, I just hope it’s an entertaining slap fight that hopefully leaves them both worse off

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Thanks

let_them_fight.gif

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

seiferguy posted:

A few hockey games are broadcast nationally on ESPN+ too, which is extremely annoying since their announcers suck. The TNT announcers are decent.

Hockey announcing hasn't been the same since the Gary Thorne / Bill Clement duo ended.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Blaming covid is funny when they’re actively making covid worse at this point.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Fellas. What should we make first?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

drat it I was gonna post this exact thing

The supply constraint on oil could be ended tomorrow if the saudis decided they wanted to, but high oil prices are, as always, ridiculously profitable for them, so why would they?

To gently caress with Iran?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Pretty sure Orange County would assume all debts and obligations

That's the thing. The article points to Disney issuing tax exempt bonds. They do that for infrastructure just like any other municipality. Those obligations will pass to orange county and will be a massive burden on tax payers.

Disney is also already paying property taxes, for all of the emergency services, and for all maintenance and upkeep of a bunch of what will become Orange county infrastructure.

Disney is losing control. That's what this costs them. Orange and Osceola counties are gonna bear the cost.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Tax Disney to make up for it. What is Disney World going to do, move???

I realize that’s overly simplistic but if they can pass bills that favor Disney explicitly, they can pass revenue generating bills that target Disney too.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 20, 2022

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

A fire?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
if the florida fascists want to fight the evil mouse corp im certainly not going to complain. if nothing else it means they're not doing more hosed up poo poo to gay people

Joey Freshwater posted:

brisket

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Just for that I’m making elk first

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Silly Burrito posted:

Its common practice for large resorts/facilities to fund and sevice public services like ambulances and fire departments. Its good because there is less of a tax demand and its a fair-ish way to ensure a giant company pays its fair share. Of course, some companies wilk skirt the laws and do the absolute minimum for the sake of profits, but Disney actually seems to want to staff these agencies so its insane to try and abolish it. Even if you make up the backend by increasing taxes on Disney its going to take a decade or more, so the end result is a bunch of people dying without care

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I’m home alone for a few hours. The wife, baby, MIL are all out. I thought this was my dream and I faked sick from work and fried up some butterfly shrimp for the occasion, but I am just anxious and weird instead

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Problem Statement:

quote:

the City of Houston has experienced an increase of violent crimes due to the pandemic, social anxiety and economic uncertainty, open carry law and a strained criminal justice system resulting in a criminal backlog of cases.

Solution:

https://houston.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=25591&MeetingID=536 posted:

establish a requirement for bars, nightclubs, sexually oriented businesses, convenience stores, and game rooms to install exterior security cameras providing video coverage from the exterior of the building to the property line...the ordinance requires that a camera owner or operator store video footage for no less than 30 days, and provide HPD with the footage within 72 hours of a request.

Addressing the actual problem with no unintended consequences or constitutional issues, good job Houston!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Joey Freshwater posted:

Just for that I’m making elk first

What cut of elk do you have? Elk brisket sounds incredibly small & lean.

In other food-related news every Wednesday a studio mate brings in fresh home-made biscuits. They're really good!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

What cut of elk do you have? Elk brisket sounds incredibly small & lean.

In other food-related news every Wednesday a studio mate brings in fresh home-made biscuits. They're really good!

I don’t, I was responding to a sexual elk’s sassiness

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Greatest city in da world baby

https://twitter.com/emilyngo/status/1516803585652178952?t=QC06z4VOSW87fVi6en7PUg&s=19

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Guess who has to dig up their social security card to get an enhaced ID? I thought my W2 had my full social on it but it, in fact, does not so now I gotta go to my living grandma's to get it. I haven't needed it since I first was hired by my state agency since HR doesn't need it again when you change job positions.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

if the florida fascists want to fight the evil mouse corp im certainly not going to complain. if nothing else it means they're not doing more hosed up poo poo to gay people

Bad news there:

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1516773653391806464

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Burgs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

swickles posted:

Its common practice for large resorts/facilities to fund and sevice public services like ambulances and fire departments. Its good because there is less of a tax demand and its a fair-ish way to ensure a giant company pays its fair share. Of course, some companies wilk skirt the laws and do the absolute minimum for the sake of profits, but Disney actually seems to want to staff these agencies so its insane to try and abolish it. Even if you make up the backend by increasing taxes on Disney its going to take a decade or more, so the end result is a bunch of people dying without care

The counties literally can't raise taxes on Disney unless legislation is passed that repeals a previous tax cut granted to them by republicans.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Android Apocalypse posted:

One of my friends up in Seattle just got an EV Jeep and raved about it on my group chat, especially taking it off-road.

Plot twist: he's a pretty darn good Toyota dealership salesman.

Which one? If I could get my little Renegade as an EV I’d buy it yesterday

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Qwijib0 posted:

Problem Statement:

Solution:

Addressing the actual problem with no unintended consequences or constitutional issues, good job Houston!

I'd probably want a camera like that if I owned one of those places, but the retention and especially the turning over to cops on request has to be a fourth amendment violation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Guess who has to dig up their social security card to get an enhaced ID? I thought my W2 had my full social on it but it, in fact, does not so now I gotta go to my living grandma's to get it. I haven't needed it since I first was hired by my state agency since HR doesn't need it again when you change job positions.

If your normal ID has your current address on it you can get a new SS card mailed to you. I did that last May, assuming you know what your SSN is.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/mikesington/status/1516351156951257092?s=21&t=8TYYnnBKkhEqucR4sPtNmA

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

jfc leave the poor lgbtq children alone you monsters

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Let me look in my insurance docs to see where that’s covered.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Dude…I would be stunned if they don’t nullify obergefell in the next 5 years.

Dems being ineffectual limpdicks is going to end up killing a lot of LGBT folks. I am terrified for the future.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

I remember asking my ultra conservative/fasc dad back in the early aughts why he was against gay marriage and his answer was "because it's a fight we can still win." They ultimately lost, but this is the same poo poo - a new social boogeyman to keep their base energized that's even more monstrous than their opposition to gay marriage.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Timby posted:

Hockey announcing hasn't been the same since the Gary Thorne / Bill Clement duo ended.

:hmmyes:

Although Mike Emrick was always great at PBP except for this last year when he did the playoff bubble remotely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I do think the anti trans and gay stuff will ultimately backfire on Republicans, but there's gonna be a lot of bodies first, and that is horrifying.