Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
I can't believe you make coffee like that. You might as well be drinking Helmut Marko's diaper squeezings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

niethan posted:

Hario Mini Mill and Bialetti Venus :boom:

The only thing an electric hob does better than gas is Moka pots.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bricks of Cafe La Llave and a Bialetti moka pot are the way to go here. I expect the thread will make Cuban coffee and have a Whopper in celebration of the Miami GP.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

Are you guys really weighing out your beans/coffee every morning? It just seems like such a 'spergie thing to do. I just want to have coffee for the drive to work.

Yeah it seems like a hobby I don't necessarily need, since I have multiple espresso shops within walking distance of our house. Although the machines do look pretty cool.

ya but I have a food scale already for when I was trying to be not fat, it's honestly like no real extra time. I do 6g/100ml so usually a 24g / 400ml cup most morning, using the V60 makes it pretty easy to just pour into the cup (or carafe) on my scale, and the Fellow Stagg kettle I have has a built in timer for it. I have been doing it since moving to Seattle and it honestly is just part of the motion now.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I have an automatic grinder with a hopper and it kicks rear end. I set it to how many cups and it gets close enough.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

please enjoy your coffee in whatever way suits your traditions and customs

unless you are a max fan. then whatever you do is wrong

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

learnincurve posted:

The only thing an electric hob does better than gas is Moka pots.

I cook with gas and prefer the power it delivers, why do you prefer electricity for moka?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i dunno in what world anything is preferable to gas stoves

i've tried to like electric/glasstop/induction, but it all just cycles off and on, like ricciardo's driving

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

marshalljim posted:

I can't believe you make coffee like that. You might as well be drinking Helmut Marko's diaper squeezings.

I don't think Marko has that much muscle control left for them to count as squeezings

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

POCKET CHOMP posted:

ok?

edit: ferrari owns, they own, etc. i'm tired

EDIT: #forzaferrari

EDIT: Ferrari onws! They loving own!!!!!!!!! #forza #italianpassion

Agreed

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
George Clooney told me Nespresso is the best coffee.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I was lucky enough to buy an espresso machine off Craigslist a couple of months before COVID, a Lelit Anna. I pair it with a Eureka Mignon Specialita grinder and usually go for local-ish beans from Ceremony Coffee, although I also order from Onyx every once in a while. Nothing wrong with the occasional moka pot with Cafe la Llave, either

I have to go to my office 1x/week and Keurig coffee is just so, so bad

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Jumping on the Baratza Encore bandwagon. It's a great grinder for 90% of your normal grinding needs. I've put little marks on mine for drip, french press or aeropress so it always makes a good consistent cup. I used to just buy the beans from costco because I'm a cheap gently caress and wanted quantity over quality, but tested out a bag of the house blend at the local roaster and the coffee got so much better that I'm just buying from there from now on.

Looking to maybe get a hand flat burr grinder to take on trips but I don't know if I want to start going that deep down the rabbit hole yet.

italian quid posted:

Its absolutely baffling how loving small the aeropress is, I'll make like half a cup and the thing is ready to loving overflow.

That's because the Aeropress' initial intention was to be a portable espresso maker. It was never intended to make a full cup of coffee, but at most 4 cups of espresso.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fyallm posted:

he's fuckin wrong, op

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

italian quid posted:

I've got some knock hand grinder but I keep thinking about getting a Niche Zero, there's something very zen about hand grinding though so I'm on the fence. I'll do a V60 most mornings but I'll do the odd aeropress. espresso feels like too much of a chore to tune in for me, I like keeping things simple with the V60.

What's your Aeropress brew method? I bought mine to mess around with but I've ended up just settling on a pretty simple routine with it.

Sup Knock hand grinder buddy, I use mine every morning to feed a La Pavoni lever espresso machine. I used to have an electric grinder and a Gaggia machine but I much prefer not having the jarring grinder and pump noises first thing in the morning, and the combo still makes great coffee (as long as you're not looking to pull really long shots).

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

fyallm posted:

He didn't just stare at the goats, he definitely hosed them

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'll say i've been tempted by this:

https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk

I mean am I even drinking coffee if I'm not using a $700-800 grinder?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I'm working up the courage to eat the shipping cost on the sampler pack for the coffee roaster Bottas' co-owns

https://www.kahiwacoffee.fi/

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Residency Evil posted:

I'll say i've been tempted by this:

https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk

I mean am I even drinking coffee if I'm not using a $700-800 grinder?

That's the grinder I keep playing with the idea of getting. Either that or the $1600 Weber hand grinder

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

Have we had a coffee derail yet?

Because I'm currently using a Baratza Encore grinder for my coffee, and then either drinking Aeropress (most mornings) or drip (if we need to make a lot of coffee). Occasionally I'll use a Moka pot. I'm thinking of getting in to making espresso, but I wonder if I'll actually spend the time to use the machine during the week.

The Baratza Encore is one of the best purchases I've ever made. I've had mine for a decade now and it's a tank, plus if literally anything breaks on it Baratza will sell you the replacement part and have detailed repaired guides.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I only drink espresso, so I have a Breville Bambino Plus in the office and a Breville Oracle Touch at home. Rancilio Rocky for a grinder, but I kinda want a Baratza Encore.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Harry Lime posted:

The Baratza Encore is one of the best purchases I've ever made. I've had mine for a decade now and it's a tank, plus if literally anything breaks on it Baratza will sell you the replacement part and have detailed repaired guides.

Yeah honestly it's fantastic. I bought a refurb in like 2008/2009 and it hasn't broken/let me down yet. Still using the same burrs.

Pvt. Public posted:

I only drink espresso, so I have a Breville Bambino Plus in the office and a Breville Oracle Touch at home. Rancilio Rocky for a grinder, but I kinda want a Baratza Encore.

I don't think the Baratza Encore is supposed to grind espresso well: it's like a $100 grinder.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

learnincurve posted:

Is aeropress one of those things where if you go over the little almost invisible guideline it all goes horribly wrong?

No, it's one of those "Every hipster will tell you a method by which is the only way to make good coffee" and all the versions are slightly different and all of them result in exactly the same result things.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Dudley posted:

No, it's one of those "Every hipster will tell you a method by which is the only way to make good coffee" and all the versions are slightly different and all of them result in exactly the same result things.

The whole point of aeropress is very specifically that you can use any number of infinite methods to brew with it and you're supposed to swap ideas. so you're completely wrong.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

if you're buying coffee you should buy it from a non-profit or fair trade brand

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

italian quid posted:

The whole point of aeropress is very specifically that you can use any number of infinite methods to brew with it and you're supposed to swap ideas. so you're completely wrong.

aeropress is a lot like motorsport in that it has a fake championship for advertising reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS7ofQQYwcQ

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ArmZ posted:

if you're buying coffee you should buy it from a non-profit or fair trade brand

thankfully a lot of indie coffee shops operate at a loss

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We have a nice Sage bean to cup machine at the office (that I haven't been to for two years) and I was getting quite good at putting art on the lattes. If I had 2 grand to spend on a coffee machine I'd pick that one.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

We have a coffee robot at the office too, it runs Linux and it makes terrible coffee, I can only assume these things are related

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thanks Ants posted:

We have a nice Sage bean to cup machine at the office (that I haven't been to for two years) and I was getting quite good at putting art on the lattes. If I had 2 grand to spend on a coffee machine I'd pick that one.

Sage (called Breville in some parts of the world) makes excellent machines, they just happen to be fairly inexpensive and less exclusive than something with a name like Gaggia

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

niethan posted:

I cook with gas and prefer the power it delivers, why do you prefer electricity for moka?

the ones designed for induction hobs have a different base that seems to distribute the heat more evenly.

My parents moved into one of those old people's apartment complexes where they won't allow them to have gas in case they set fires and my mother is in hate with her electric hob and grasping at things that don't suck on it.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
You people need racing ASAP.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a sage electric burr grinder and I've been using a clever dripper recently. It's like a V60 but more lazy and tastes good tbh.

James Hoffman is a true gladiator.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah honestly it's fantastic. I bought a refurb in like 2008/2009 and it hasn't broken/let me down yet. Still using the same burrs.

I don't think the Baratza Encore is supposed to grind espresso well: it's like a $100 grinder.

Interesting, I have a coworker that swears by his for espresso and he's one of the few around here that aren't morons. I'll have to look into that.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Use the McLaren team Fleshlight to help you be slow to finish just like Lando!

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Pvt. Public posted:

Interesting, I have a coworker that swears by his for espresso and he's one of the few around here that aren't morons. I'll have to look into that.

The Encore is right in the range of "just good enough" for espresso. It can really suffer for not being able to do fine adjustments like the next step up Virtuoso can a times but for most machines and people the Encore will work fine.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

i put whole beans in a ziplock bag and hit the bag with a hammer, minimal cost

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Just lmao if you're not directly eating the beans.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

boxcarhobo posted:

i put whole beans in a ziplock bag and hit the bag with a hammer, minimal cost

Be careful with the hammer and you can pour hot water into the bag to brew. Then just poke a hole in the bag to filter into your cup, throw the bag out, and go to Starbucks like somebody who actually has a life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Residency Evil posted:

Have we had a coffee derail yet?

Because I'm currently using a Baratza Encore grinder for my coffee, and then either drinking Aeropress (most mornings) or drip (if we need to make a lot of coffee). Occasionally I'll use a Moka pot. I'm thinking of getting in to making espresso, but I wonder if I'll actually spend the time to use the machine during the week.

Starbucks has pretty good coffee. And you don't have to spend hundreds of dollars in equipment to have a cup of coffee

Or Tim Hortons for you Canadians