Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
In case anyone is interested in a Wipeout/Fzero type game. Redout is currently on sale and it runs perfectly at a locked 60 on maximum settings on the deck. It's closer to Wipeout than Fzero, but it's good fun and only 6gb to boot, so it doesn't take up much space either. Nice game to have on the go, it's easy to knock out a couple races if you've got 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Got my email today as well - 256gb, USA. My rtReserveTime was for 25 minutes 49 seconds after it went live, if that helps anyone. The order date estimator for my time was exactly correct.

Looking forward to this being the most powerful computer in my entire household.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Hell yeah. Email received. 28m after live.

The calculator was right. :tinfoil:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

If the calculator is right I'm SOL until mid May, so I'd like to shoutout Valve for cockblocking my initial order because your servers melted and I wasn't able to make my reservation because "lol, you tried purchasing one too many times, so try later!" :argh:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Pretty sure someone else got my pre-order so if you got an email about it today, just send it on over to me and I can take care of it.

(Where is my steam deck gaben)

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Lat week, robot said I was today

Now it says I am next Monday...

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Yooo got mine. I was at about 25:21

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

I got Deck blocked by Valve's servers and lockout payment issues as well, got a 256 gb order in almost 2 hours after it went live, and the calculator estimates late May for my preorder.

I'm still disappointed every Monday and Thursday when the purchase email isn't in my inbox. Cmooooooon

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My thing says I ordered mine at 2:00 PDT which means I’m going to never get a Deck. Q2? Nonsense!

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Firebert posted:

Lat week, robot said I was today

Now it says I am next Monday...
The robot is updating with more times being put in to better calculate the results. They changed the outcome by measuring the results, sadly.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Just want to mention because I'm absolutely furious right now:
If you bought that Best Buy deal on Steam Cards (as I did, $200 worth), be aware that they might not arrive activated!

Way to go, Best Buy! Let's see how support can help me with this.

EDIT: I got it all resolved, had to call their support line.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 18, 2022

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I'm actually relieved I didn't get an email bc I'm going out of town this weekend and didn't want to deal with the anxiety of FedEx. Mistakes into miracles :angel:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

Marx Headroom posted:

I'm actually relieved I didn't get an email bc I'm going out of town this weekend and didn't want to deal with the anxiety of FedEx. Mistakes into miracles :angel:
Speaking of, the subreddit is going wild with stolen devices from FedEx delivery people. I haven't had issues in the past with other deliveries, but if you have might want to invest in a camera and like...watch the door like a hawk on delivery day. Video of the driver scanning at their address so GPS says it was there and then walk off with it: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/u5p78o/fed_ex_driver_steals_steamdeck_confirmed/

Edit:

"A driver commenting why this kinda action can happen posted:

When I delivered packages, we had to do this to prove a delivery attempt. It happened several times daily, so this video doesn't necessarily mean a stolen package. It looks bad though because he doesn't even seem to ring the bell or wait for a reasonable time for someone to open the door.

Not every kind of parcel could simply be left unattended at the door though, and every time where a delivery couldn't be made, we still had to go there and bring the package, to get it logged properly in the system. Since you're running the same route day after day, you learn who is, and who isn't available for deliveries. For example, I had daily delivered to a family who was on vacation. I knew this, because I called the contact number on the parcel, and knew that they wouldn't be back for some 2 weeks. Even though I knew that there weren't home, I still had to take every single parcel addressed to them, to their address, and confirm a delivery attempt. Since I had talked to said family previously and knew at what date they would be back, I didn't even bother ringing the door for those failed deliveries.

So I still had to load the parcel in my car, go to the address, take a picture of the parcel and the door, and then take the package back to the delivery center. While this was uncommon, failed deliveries were not. I believe I had roughly 5-6 failed delivery attempts per day because they required a signature or similar, and people weren't home. I don't know how many times bystanders took photos or videos of me while taking these packages back to the car, accusing me of 'stealing' packages, yelling at me to leave the package, when in reality, I was taking them back to the terminal, to be re-sorted, and to either have another delivery attempt the next day or to be sent to a smaller, local pickup-point.

minusX fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 18, 2022

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

If you bought that Best Buy deal on Steam Cards (as I did, $200 worth), be aware that they might not arrive activated!

just used my activated cards to fund my steam deck purchase. :smuggo:

e: ^^^ i am extraordinarily paranoid about getting this thing delivered, though. i've had really horrible experiences with fedex and electronics in the last few years.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 18, 2022

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

JazzFlight posted:

Okay, resolved, the money's in my account!

Basically, tried web chat, it was useless, they said you had to call, so I eventually did.
Waited on hold for ~20 min, explained the issue, waited another ~5 min, and the cards were activated.
Quite a relief, I didn't want a $200 issue just floating over my head. Also, imagine if I had given this as a gift and the person hadn't tried to redeem it for a while...

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Deck's display being capable of arbitrary refresh rates (not VRR but fixed at say 40, 45, 50hz) is confirmed. Rollout of the feature on SteamOS is waiting on some backend improvements, but it works on Windows today.

It'd be interesting how precise and flexible it is, being able to run at precise NTSC and arcade monitor clocks would allow for emulator gameplay and audio to play at the correct speed with no judder, at least for anything under 60hz.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 18, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

minusX posted:

Speaking of, the subreddit is going wild with stolen devices from FedEx delivery people. I haven't had issues in the past with other deliveries, but if you have might want to invest in a camera and like...watch the door like a hawk on delivery day. Video of the driver scanning at their address so GPS says it was there and then walk off with it: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/u5p78o/fed_ex_driver_steals_steamdeck_confirmed/

Edit:
i don't think that driver is stealing the item but i do think it's typical FedEx behavior from subcontractors. they have so little time to hit their quota that they don't bother to ring or knock, just scan to show they tried then keep on going, or else they don't hit their quota and lose their job. it's hosed and it's on the company ultimately. if a signature is required, they jog up to the door and slap a door tag on the door and then jog right back to the truck

e: i also wouldn't put the steam deck on the level of demand of, say, a ps5 or series x, it's a niche computer shipped in an unassuming box. if fedex drivers are secret scalper thieves, they probably have higher-margin packages they could lift within their other deliveries. i do realize i'm tempting fate by saying this before mine arrives

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 19, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

i don't think that driver is stealing the item but i do think it's typical FedEx behavior from subcontractors. they have so little time to hit their quota that they don't bother to ring or knock, just scan to show they tried then keep on going, or else they don't hit their quota and lose their job. it's hosed and it's on the company ultimately. if a signature is required, they jog up to the door and slap a door tag on the door and then jog right back to the truck

e: i also wouldn't put the steam deck on the level of demand of, say, a ps5 or series x, it's a niche computer shipped in an unassuming box. if fedex drivers are secret scalper thieves, they probably have higher-margin packages they could lift within their other deliveries. i do realize i'm tempting fate by saying this before mine arrives

So the person who took that video later posted on reddit that that actually wasn't their package, and their package wasn't even out for delivery that day. Turns out, that was another person's package and the driver approached the wrong house and turned around as soon as he noticed. The owner of that house made a massive leap to "this guy stole my steam deck!" based on the video alone without even looking at their tracking info.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So the person who took that video later posted on reddit that that actually wasn't their package, and their package wasn't even out for delivery that day. Turns out, that was another person's package and the driver approached the wrong house and turned around as soon as he noticed. The owner of that house made a massive leap to "this guy stole my steam deck!" based on the video alone without even looking at their tracking info.

lol I am shocked at this new information

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah if a driver is gonna steal a package there are ways to do it that don’t involve going up to the door if your victim.

Even then it’s really really hard and generally not worth it

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

IDK, the other comments by OP says "Yeah FedEx marked it as delayed and now when I talk to them over the phone they say it was stolen and Vavle agrees but just refunded me." Thread is locked now though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

minusX posted:

IDK, the other comments by OP says "Yeah FedEx marked it as delayed and now when I talk to them over the phone they say it was stolen and Vavle agrees but just refunded me." Thread is locked now though.

I mean if it’s marked as delayed then I have no idea why he went to his door, he has no reason to ever take it off the truck

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If you trusts goons, there were similar stories about FedExed PS5s here on SA at the height of the craze.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if it’s marked as delayed then I have no idea why he went to his door, he has no reason to ever take it off the truck
It might've been the whole cutting real deliveries down to save time on route people discussed and then he found out what the device was after, no idea.

Link to the OP's comment record with a lot of the discussion that's not just "I got it sorry y'all" but deletes might've happened. https://www.reddit.com/user/JoeySnack5

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also it should be said a driver can not take a package off his manifest unless it’s marked as delirvered as drivers actually have no control over that process. That’s completely on the on-site package handlers. So if your stealing, your better off doing it at the hub

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Rinkles posted:

If you trusts goons, there were similar stories about FedExed PS5s here on SA at the height of the craze.

I have a real horror story concerning my PS5 delivery from UPS. There was a power line down on my road so they took it back and didn’t deliver it until the next day. I still have nightmares about it.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I know I said it a few pages back, but the label on mine had to get replaced at a regional hub and that's when I spent a few days hoping I wasn't getting 4lbs of rocks because that's exactly where you'd steal something and replace it if you were inclined to do so.

I imagine "porch pirates" are the greater risk once it gets on the delivery truck. Motherfuckers will straight up follow delivery trucks and either wait for them to leave and go for packages themselves or call a buddy to go get it while they keep trailing the truck. Especially if you live in an area with a lot of meth-heads, that seems to be their game.

On topic with the thread:
I tried an un-optimized game on my deck that needed a keyboard and it would let me type but not delete anything.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 19, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

minusX posted:

I followed the link from that thread to another thread and assumed it was about the same incident, but maybe we're talking about two different incidents here.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
So how long does it usually take to get a shipping confirmation?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Lockback posted:

This probably isn't a good example as mine happened over the long weekend, but last Thur (14th) I got my notice to purchase it. I did that immediately, and didn't get my shipping notice until yesterday morning (19th). It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow (21st) from Illinois to Alberta, Canada.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my shipping notification was on monday, got it just now

initial OOB impressions (won't actually be plugging it in until later today):
- grip feels good in my big hands, similar to the hori split pad pro for switch (comparatively the two systems are around the same width when the split pads are connected to the switch as well) but without the crazy amount of bulk
- doesn't seem like i'll have any issue reaching anything with my thumbs. the weird button placement sliding off the edge is not a real issue
- analog sticks feel good, professional-grade, at least for now
- d-pad is a little mushy which is disappointing
- buttons are acceptable and clicky. the anbernic rg351p buttons are a bit more fun because they're bigger and clickier, but i also understand some people hate clicky buttons
- charger cord is just the right length to reach from the outlet in my nightstand to where i lay down on the bed, so it's all set for bed gaming. if you're in the living room and your outlet is by the TV, it's probably not going to reach the couch

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lockback posted:

mine was something like 4-5 days, it seems like they do both the ordering and the shipping in batches on the same days

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I read that using Chiaki allows remote play from PS5 to work. How is the performance? I’m about 70 hours into Elden Ring and don’t really want to start over just so I can play it on the Deck.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Lockback posted:

My shipping confirmation from Monday's order just got sent (US). No idea if that's typical though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

My shipping confirmation from Monday's order just got sent (US). No idea if that's typical though.

Mine was also just sent, same circumstances as you. Ordered Monday, shipping notice today, Wednesday.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

mine was something like 4-5 days, it seems like they do both the ordering and the shipping in batches on the same days

After paying for the purchase, there's a 24-hour grace period to either change the shipping address or cancel the order. Quoting from earlier:

Bloodplay it again posted:

...They ship via FedEx Ground from Carol Stream, IL. After completing your order, there's a 24-hr period in which you can change the delivery address or cancel the order altogether. If you checked out within ~30 min or so, the label will get printed Tuesday and FedEx will pick it up Wednesday. If you wait until later in the day, the label won't get printed until Wednesday and it won't get picked up until Thursday. Obviously, if you wait a couple of days, you can push the date out however long you waited to complete the purchase.

If you're in IL or a neighboring state, you can expect delivery before the end of the week. East and west coast will have to wait a bit longer. Provinces in Canada seem to be getting the shaft and FedEx is delivering them in closer to 2 weeks. Maybe people in Ontario are getting it a little faster, but I doubt it.

Assuming you check out ASAP on Monday, follow the line that says "If picked up on Wednesday..."
Assuming you check out later on Monday or early Tuesday, follow the line that says "If picked up on Thursday..."
Assuming you check out later on Tuesday or early Wednesday, follow the line that says "If picked up on Friday..."
Assuming you check out shortly before the reservation expires, follow the line that says "If picked up on Monday..." while understanding that it won't be shipped out until a week after the email was sent.

Despite what people are posting on sites like reddit and resetera, know that you cannot have FedEx hold the package for you at another location. Valve and FedEx negotiated rates for the cheapest shipping option possible. No signature required, no redirection available, nothin. If you're in an area like I am where the FedEx person sits in the truck and fills out door tags before even attempting deliveries, you'd best be ready to camp outside and scout for the truck because once it gets returned to sender, you're SOL and get kicked back to the end of the line.

If you're in EU, they ship from the Netherlands and I know nothing beyond that.

Because they very, very specifically chose Thursday as the second day in weeks with two ordering periods, that means the earliest your order could possibly go out is the following Monday. Even if you paid first thing Thursday, the order won't finish processing until Friday morning and the label won't get printed until later in the day Friday for pickup Monday.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I live in an area that says less than a week according to that map, and it still took a week to arrive.

Has anyone added a micro SD card to their deck yet? I have plenty of space after loading the games I want to play for now but I'm eyeing some incoming AAA titles with pretty bulky data specs.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

chainchompz posted:

I live in an area that says less than a week according to that map, and it still took a week to arrive.

Has anyone added a micro SD card to their deck yet? I have plenty of space after loading the games I want to play for now but I'm eyeing some incoming AAA titles with pretty bulky data specs.

If you paid for it on the 7th or 8th and FedEx didn't pick it up until the following week where it arrived on the 15th (Friday), then I don't understand how picked up Monday delivered Friday is taking a week. You paid Thursday or Friday and didn't get a tracking number until the 11th, right?

You paid 7th
24 hr change for cancellation/address change
Label printed the 11th (because the distributor is not open Sat/Sun)
Picked up on the 11th and delivered 4 days later

:confused:

e: Important to note that Valve weren't doing more than one order/week when I posted that. That's also why, in my previous post, I noted that they specifically chose Thursday as the second day of the week for orders. Any orders paid for on Thursday, no matter how quickly placed, will not even get picked up by FedEx until the following Monday.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 20, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

chainchompz posted:

It's easy, just pop it in and format in settings.

I'm still enjoying my Deck a lot but I don't think I'll be going through my whole backlog with it, if only because some PC games I just won't enjoy on a small screen. Stuff like Crystal Project is great though. The trackpad is surprisingly good, I've had issues with others in the past where pushing to click would also move the cursor a bit but that's not a problem here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

loudog999 posted:

I read that using Chiaki allows remote play from PS5 to work. How is the performance? I’m about 70 hours into Elden Ring and don’t really want to start over just so I can play it on the Deck.

If you've got a good 5ghz wifi setup you'll be fine. Just run chiaki in desktop mode as when you run it from gamemode it has trouble switching to the game screen after you connect to the PS5. Steam Button + left d-pad pushes the PS button.

Quality is not as good as something like Moonlight, but that's the PS5s fault, not chiakis.