Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Indolent Bastard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srUSz8cPqTo&t=886s

I set it up at the exact time she discusses greys.

Thank you. that is exactly what I needed to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
This nurgle theme is pretty fun.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Whoa that looks really rad, what are you calling the chapter?

And how did you do the blood globs?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Count Thrashula posted:

Whoa that looks really rad, what are you calling the chapter?

And how did you do the blood globs?

Idk, yet on the chapter name. Going to mess with swamp bases this weekend and find a recipe I like. Maybe call them Florida Men, bringer of the Plague or something even more on the nose and make them explicitly anti-vaxxer jokes

The ooze is just an icicle recipe but I mixed fluorescent green ink into the water effect and made sure it globbed up on the end of the piece of plastic I glued to it. The still water wasn't viscous enough but would totally work for a puddle of ooze on the ground of a base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x4VscgNt1Y&t=383s

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I ordered some elden Ring pot bros but they're all white! Would slapping some Zandri Dust or Karak Stone on give it that beige look from the game?

feel like a sepia wash and a light yellow highlight would do it

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Finished some artillery.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

So I've decided I'm going with a IKEA Fredde for my painting desk:

https://www.ikea.com/jp/en/p/fredde-gaming-desk-black-30361953/
Feeling pretty good about that. Figure I can clamp lamps all over it and it has a decent amount of room for storage, plus the cup holders for Bevs & Paint water.
Ikea also sells peg boards and I'm wondering I can put one in the space where the monitors would go for even more easy of use storage.

I'm sure its been asked a lot, but any recommendations for work lamps / lighting solutions?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I ordered some elden Ring pot bros but they're all white! Would slapping some Zandri Dust or Karak Stone on give it that beige look from the game?

I tinted mine with some thinned down sepia. Seemed to do the trick

Wrr posted:

I'm sure its been asked a lot, but any recommendations for work lamps / lighting solutions?

I donr remember the name of the model but Ikea has a generic articulated arm lamp that is solid as hell and doesn't take weird bulbs

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

w00tmonger posted:

I donr remember the name of the model but Ikea has a generic articulated arm lamp that is solid as hell and doesn't take weird bulbs

The SKURUP?

I was looking at it but I wonder if that arm is long enough to get the angles that I need.

Edit-

Wait, a TERTIAL?

Wrr fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 21, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
the tertial is the goat

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

the tertial is the goat

That’s what I got on thread recommendation and it is awesome.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Wrr posted:

The SKURUP?

I was looking at it but I wonder if that arm is long enough to get the angles that I need.

Edit-

Wait, a TERTIAL?

tertial is what I was thinking of. I really like them but I find with a deep desk they're not quite landing for me.

How are they mounted to the front edge of the desk. Ive been considering going DIY into an overhead light-panel as an alternative.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
this method is so fast, here's another dude:

mostly I just want to use the fluorescent paints I have and I really wanted to use this pink for something, like completing a triad color scheme on these guys

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's looking better so far...

Bonus photo that makes me feel good about myself for a casual

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 21, 2022

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Anyone have any brand recommendations for transfer sheets for use with custom decals? I'm in the US if that matters.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wrr posted:

So I've decided I'm going with a IKEA Fredde for my painting desk:

That desk looks very dope.

Spanish Manlove posted:

the tertial is the goat

I would argue that the Tertial is inferior to the Globe Electric 32" Multi-Joint Desk Lamp for two reasons - The clamp is metal and very secure and if you don't live near an Ikea you can snag one for a very affordable price through Amazon. I rock two and they're rad as hell.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

The only thing I don't like about the tertial light is the switch location, it's on the cord. I found one on Amazon that was basically the same thing but had the switch on the back of the lamp. I do have mine mounted at the front of the desk though and it works fine. I find it's better than mounting it at the back of your desk is doubling as a computer desk, it's less in the way. I actually drilled a hole in the desk and stuck the peg directly in rather than deal with the clamp.

^^yes that's the one I have. 3rd reason it's better is the switch.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Bonus photo that makes me feel good about myself for a casual

This is excellent. Pushing highlights (and shadows) as far as you can is so important. I tend to leave them too shallow and have to push myself to go another shade or two.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

nostrata posted:

^^yes that's the one I have. 3rd reason it's better is the switch.

drat, I didn't even notice that the Tertial doesn't have the power switch on the back of the lamp head.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I use a neatfi lamp that I really love. A little more expensive though.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QT9PW12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
After a month or so off from painting, I’ve started chunking through the rest of the bloodborne box and using some of the contrast paints I just got in:

I’m fairly happy with how they’ve turned out with the exception of some of the blotching on the cloak. Most of that has to do with priming issues with the miniatures. Even after vigorous cleaning, the minis just did not want to take any primer except from a rattle can and even then it took more than I would expect. So there are places with too much primer or primer that pooled and other places with barely any. The primer acted like there was a hydrophobic coat on the mini.

I think when I open the expansion boxes at some point m, I may soak the minis in something gentle to ensure that whatever sealant is on them from manufacturing is 100% gone before priming.

Simple green should do the trick with damaging the plastic, right?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I would bet money that dawn soap and a toothbrush and gentle rubbing is all you need

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I would bet money that dawn soap and a toothbrush and gentle rubbing is all you need

That's what I used on them initially. After the the first few failed to prime well, I went back and scrubbed the unprimed ones again. It helped slightly but there were still large parts of each mini that were still hydrophobic. I've never had an issue with sealant that couldn't be fixed with dawn either.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The magic stripper for me is 99% alcohol and an electric toothbrush. Gets into all those little nooks and soft enough for your gums

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lawlicaust posted:

That's what I used on them initially. After the the first few failed to prime well, I went back and scrubbed the unprimed ones again. It helped slightly but there were still large parts of each mini that were still hydrophobic. I've never had an issue with sealant that couldn't be fixed with dawn either.

Weird! I've never had that happen to me so far

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Any recomwndations for a tiny rear end smoke/fog machine I could shove in a model?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

Any recomwndations for a tiny rear end smoke/fog machine I could shove in a model?

I actually would love to hear any ideas on this, plus little miniature actuators to raise/lower ramps on models. I should probably look at model railroader forums now that I think about it.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

I actually would love to hear any ideas on this, plus little miniature actuators to raise/lower ramps on models. I should probably look at model railroader forums now that I think about it.

Digging around and I'm seeing a lot of people modifying vapes, which might actually work if you're hollowing out a tank/mech

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Marx Headroom posted:

The magic stripper for me is 99% alcohol and an electric toothbrush. Gets into all those little nooks and soft enough for your gums

Both things I have lying around from resin printing! I'll give those a shot when I open the next box. I have 5 miniatures left from the base game before I start with the xpacs.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

You guys were talking about paint/minis travel storage a while back in the thread, was there a consensus of what to get? Like if I wanted to put some minis/paints in a easy to use carry bag with a wet palette (absolutely required, work is as dry as a desert) and brushes. It doesn't need to be able to carry an entire collection, maybe a bunch of paint options

edit: trying some of my wizkid backlog, and it seems like while these things are primed (and the mold lines not trimmed...) it feels like it's got mold injection on it because it's struggling to stick. I guess I'll have to wash it.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 22, 2022

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Marx Headroom posted:

Edit: this joke isn't funny in the cold light of day, so I chopped it.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 22, 2022

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You guys were talking about paint/minis travel storage a while back in the thread, was there a consensus of what to get? Like if I wanted to put some minis/paints in a easy to use carry bag with a wet palette (absolutely required, work is as dry as a desert) and brushes. It doesn't need to be able to carry an entire collection, maybe a bunch of paint options

edit: trying some of my wizkid backlog, and it seems like while these things are primed (and the mold lines not trimmed...) it feels like it's got mold injection on it because it's struggling to stick. I guess I'll have to wash it.

For just straight up availability, the army painter ones seem pretty solid. I have a red grass one I use at home, and some 3d printed ones that seen to do the trick so far.

Lots of options is your willing to diy, but I think there's a lot to be said for getting a molded plastic one that is already good to go

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Are the paints Vallejo or Army Painter? If so I think the easiest would be an essential oils storage box. That also has the bonus if someone asks you about whats in the box you can scare them off with an essential oils sales pitch. I am thinking something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Plant-Ther...s%2C186&sr=8-23 would work. If you have citadel paints it becomes more difficult, in nearly all cases, to store them conveniently.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Test model for a custodes army I'm starting. I still have to edge highlight the black armor, but happy with how it's coming out so far. The only thing I'm not sure about is the bronze color on the base. Would it be better gold or just black instead?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mikey Purp posted:

Test model for a custodes army I'm starting. I still have to edge highlight the black armor, but happy with how it's coming out so far. The only thing I'm not sure about is the bronze color on the base. Would it be better gold or just black instead?

Keep it bronze but verdgris the poo poo out of it

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Howard Langston, a completely average member of the Miners & Steamfitters Union in Malifaux.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apologies in advance for this basic question, but I never got varnish initially, and I was wondering is it pretty much a "you should do this after you paint something"?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Apologies in advance for this basic question, but I never got varnish initially, and I was wondering is it pretty much a "you should do this after you paint something"?

maybe. There's two reasons to varnish: protect the paint or to create an even finish.

If it's a display model that's not going anywhere, you likely wont need to varnish. But it's nice for models you're going to handle on a table, potentially drop, or cover in pizza grease and cheeto dust.

Creating an even finish is a little more advanced. Having a matte finish helps avoid reflections and keeps highlights exactly where you want them no matter what angle the model is being looked at. Having a glossy finish can make something look like glass, or look wet, or look more metallic. It's just another tool in your box to play with.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

Howard Langston, a completely average member of the Miners & Steamfitters Union in Malifaux.

owns.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

We literally just had a discussion about this a couple of pages ago! General consensus is "yes, you should varnish your figures to protect them", but a few heretics and daredevils say its not really necessary especially as few models are made of metals now. As to how much and what type, thats a matter of personal preference. I like to do a coat or two of gloss for protection then matte because I prefer the finish, all from spray cans, some people just do matte, or prefer a satin finish, or use a brush on varnish or airbrush it or....

Basically better safe than sorry, for all that a rattle can of varnish will cost you. I use car lacquer as my gloss because its cheap and does the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks! I'll pick one up when I stop at the Comic Shop later (pick up a paint or two).