Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MLSM posted:

In what way?

The two big Weaver scenes are, not coincidentally, what Slavoj Zizek identifies as the only great scenes in Alien 4: the part where 8 burns all the weird failed Ripley clones, and the part where 8 falls and is absorbed into this writhing mass of alien slime and abstracted body parts. The former was the concept that got Weaver on board with the film, while the latter is something she’d personally pushed for.

“Again, this scene is one we had to fight for. They did not want Ripley descending into “the sphincter of the alien world” (which is what Alec Gillis used to call it), To me, it was everything Giger, Ridley, everybody would have wanted: this sensuous, sinuous world of parts. God help you if you're there - yet, at the same time, there's that thing of how [Ripley 8] wants to surrender to it. To me it was all about life. It's horrifying and, you know, you're attracted to it. It's fabulous stuff. But we had to fight for that scene, because it was not an action scene; it was all this subliminal, erotic stuff.”
-Weaver

This “sphincter of the alien world” that envelops Ripley kinda obviously prefigures the black goo in Prometheus - as well as Scott’s shift from ‘straight’ horror. Where nerds have persistently expected every appearance of the xenomorph to instantly induce pure mind-cancelling terror at a glance, Scott has presented it as just another character. Sometimes it’s a figure of pity, sometimes of fascination. Walter, like Charles Mudede, doesn’t experience any overwhelming fear of this man-sized thing that moves fairly slowly and attacks stuff with its fuckin’ teeth.

“The animal having the relations that define its individuality consumed by another animal (or microorganisms) is just having a bad encounter. Why should this be scary?”

And that’s totally in line with Weaver’s push to shift focus away from horror, and even away from the xenomorph entirely. After being pulled into the slime, Ripley 8 is gently raptured away by the creature. It presents her with the ‘gift’ of a new daughter, and then effectively just disappears because who really cares?

The primary failing of Alien 4 is that it retains the stock “we gotta stop the xennymorfs before they TAKE OVER THE WORLD” blockbuster fantasy plotline, which is anathema to what Weaver was up to.

You know, the ‘newborn’ at the end doesn’t present any sort of existential threat to the universe. It’s just kinda mercy-killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alien Resurrection is mostly ruined by Whedon's "every character is a white male teenager" dialogue. It's got great character actors, it succeeds in being hosed up poo poo, but it has a hard time emotionally resonating because it's written by a man-child and like SMG says it ends up corny and pointless.

Weaver had wanted Ripley to end up loving an alien since at least Aliens IIRC. It's not exactly waaay out there that you could declare that subtext is for cowards when it comes to the penis monsters.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's just the Poseidon Adventure with Aliens and the two scenes SMG mentioned. Even without the Whedonisms there wouldn't be much original or interesting about it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Since we're talking about Resurrection I'm going to dig up this six year old inane post about my childhood fever dreams of what Alien Resurrection could've been like, based solely on an AvP 2 map.

General Battuta posted:

Okay, veering into the intersection between toychat and cinematography: long before I ever saw and felt let down by Alien Resurrection, I played a lot of Aliens vs Predator 2. That game had a multiplayer map called "Auriga", set on the ship from Resurrection. I remember it being far more golden and oddly lit than the other maps, like a strange collusion of clinical brutalist and misty jungle. It really leapt out of the map lineup.

I remember wondering where it came from, and whether it was 'futuristic' - a map from some kind of phantasmagorial post-movies reality in which human existence and architecture had been permanently altered, made misty and organic like the underbelly of the derelict where Kane found the eggs. Like the people who built it no longer recognized a distinction between the technological and the biohorrific.

Once I saw the movie it was not like this at all, unfortunately.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
I think the worst part of Alien Resurrection is that there really is some good stuff in there hidden amongst the annoying dreck. A lot of the actors are good, but the dialogue is a bit tedious and shouty and the Walmart line should never have ever been filmed. All the snark in Aliens from the Marines kind of fit a bunch of guys who think they are being sent to the rear end end of space to plug in a radio at the behest of weasels like Burke and Gorman.

I saw it as a kid. I was a weird kid who actually liked Alien 3, despite its problems, because at least it seemed to fit the universe and it didn't feel like it was just retreading the old ones. I think Alien 4 was my first real experience of seeing a sequel that didn't really need to exist and was unwilling to really go the distance with any new ideas it had.

The behavior of the pirate crew in Alien Resurrection is kind of baffling. They are well aware that they are trafficking live humans for medical experiments but then act all weird and uppity about it like they aren't a crucial component of this horror. They seem to think nothing of starting a big fight in a giant military ship in which they are outnumbered like 10 to 1 because they are sassy tough Whedon characters. There is nothing actually interesting about Winona Ryder being a robot - some grunt gets all excited about it but really it's just used for a lame fake death and some plot nonsense where she can plug herself into a ship to open a door.

But some parts of it do work. The Ripley abominations are good. Brad Douriff is delightful, as are the scenes in which he is training the aliens. The design of the ship is visually interesting. The movie has weird pacing problems and can't seem to keep its own plot straight. They're stationed WAY OUT from Earth to do Forbidden Science, but no, actually, they can just drive to Earth in 3 hours, which doesn't really matter because it's just a wasteland anyway.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I've always felt alien 3 (or at least the remastered version) is a good film with a few regrettable scenes, while 4 has a few good scenes in an otherwise regrettable film.

And yeah the cocky, quip throwing Marines in 2 are supposed to be interpreted as overconfident. It serves a number of purposes for them to be expressing how easy a job it's going to be. 4 is what happens when you take the pointed sticks speech entirely at face value.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 30, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Alien Resurrection is mostly ruined by Whedon's "every character is a white male teenager" dialogue. It's got great character actors, it succeeds in being hosed up poo poo, but it has a hard time emotionally resonating because it's written by a man-child and like SMG says it ends up corny and pointless.

Weaver had wanted Ripley to end up loving an alien since at least Aliens IIRC. It's not exactly waaay out there that you could declare that subtext is for cowards when it comes to the penis monsters.

i agree

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
whedon sucks

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I think the worst part of Alien Resurrection is that there really is some good stuff in there hidden amongst the annoying dreck. A lot of the actors are good, but the dialogue is a bit tedious and shouty and the Walmart line should never have ever been filmed. All the snark in Aliens from the Marines kind of fit a bunch of guys who think they are being sent to the rear end end of space to plug in a radio at the behest of weasels like Burke and Gorman.

I saw it as a kid. I was a weird kid who actually liked Alien 3, despite its problems, because at least it seemed to fit the universe and it didn't feel like it was just retreading the old ones. I think Alien 4 was my first real experience of seeing a sequel that didn't really need to exist and was unwilling to really go the distance with any new ideas it had.

The behavior of the pirate crew in Alien Resurrection is kind of baffling. They are well aware that they are trafficking live humans for medical experiments but then act all weird and uppity about it like they aren't a crucial component of this horror. They seem to think nothing of starting a big fight in a giant military ship in which they are outnumbered like 10 to 1 because they are sassy tough Whedon characters. There is nothing actually interesting about Winona Ryder being a robot - some grunt gets all excited about it but really it's just used for a lame fake death and some plot nonsense where she can plug herself into a ship to open a door.

But some parts of it do work. The Ripley abominations are good. Brad Douriff is delightful, as are the scenes in which he is training the aliens. The design of the ship is visually interesting. The movie has weird pacing problems and can't seem to keep its own plot straight. They're stationed WAY OUT from Earth to do Forbidden Science, but no, actually, they can just drive to Earth in 3 hours, which doesn't really matter because it's just a wasteland anyway.

A lot of that stuff actually makes more sense in the script.

I hate Whedon more than even most people here, but I'll at least defend that his silly script (and trust me, it's peak stupid Whedon dialogue) was filtered through two people's editing it to something else entirely when you see the final movie.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The oddest part of Alien ressurections to me is that the alternate cut opens with a gag where you think youre seeing the Alien and then the camera pulls back and its just a bug on a windshield thats squashed.

Thats the alternate cut mind, so it was wisely scrapped but the fact they even considered it suggests what a weird mash of tones the production must have been. This is reportedly the scene which was described in the initial pitch and secured the directors place in the film to 20th Century Fox.

also the end is weird in both cuts, in one earth is revealed to be a wasteland. In another it ends with ripleys "im a stranger here myself" line, which makes earth as a destination the focus but it hasn't really been a narrative focus the whole movie or indeed the series.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 30, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
alien resurrection cant decide on whether its a parody, an action movie like Aliens or a surreal art house piece and thats why it sucks

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think a good alien movie should be a series of absurd atrocities. Not the kind of absurd where you laugh, the kind that really bother you on a level that makes you want to reject them. That’s why I like Prometheus, it’s just a series of grotesque transfigurations from purpose into chaos. Something Ligotti would write.

One thing I think is really important to movies like this is the contrast between clean designed sterile capitalist spaces and the intrusion of gore/infection/transformation. The uhhhhh alienation of place if you will

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Alien movies should make you want to squirm. I refuse to elaborate in what way.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
My favorite thing about Alien Covenant is when it came out people would be arguing about "How hard is it to wear a loving mask?" and now we all know the answer to that question. A bunch of religious settler types ignoring proper infection precautions now seems a lot more realistic to me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Seriously. One third of all Americans have outed themselves as "would hide a zombie bite".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mllaneza posted:

Seriously. One third of all Americans have outed themselves as "would hide a zombie bite deliberately get bitten to prove a point".

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

mllaneza posted:

Seriously. One third of all Americans have outed themselves as "would hide a zombie bite".

Yep. I always thought the opening to Romeros Dawn of the Dead was stupid until 2 years ago.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Keeping zombie granny in the basement so you can keep injecting her with invermectin

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

alien resurrection cant decide on whether its a parody, an action movie like Aliens or a surreal art house piece and thats why it sucks

It definitely knows that it's all three.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There’s nothing wrong with the concept of an artsy Aliens parody; that’s almost what Covenant is.

Resurrection’s failure is that it doesn’t even have a narrative, outside a thin sketch of Ripley dealing with a vague feeling of loss. It doesn’t do anything whatsoever with the concept of Call as a ‘terrorist’ secret agent, because it’s unclear what she’s even for or against. Her thing is just “I don’t like the aliens because they’re, uh, dangerous.”

Whedon goes ‘meta’ and says that obviously the military’s going to train the aliens for “urban pacification”, and obviously they’re going to break out and kill everybody in an attempt to end the world, so why even bother with more detail?

As gone over many times earlier in the thread, Whedon’s idea of Alien movie is a product of Kirk Drift: conspiratorial reptilian space-perverts obsessed with nothing but catching this particular bug - each bug capable of killing trillions. Everyone engaged in casual murder. He’s creating/perpetuating the dumbass cliches he’s supposedly commenting on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There’s nothing wrong with the concept of an artsy Aliens parody; that’s almost what Covenant is.

Resurrection’s failure is that it doesn’t even have a narrative, outside a thin sketch of Ripley dealing with a vague feeling of loss. It doesn’t do anything whatsoever with the concept of Call as a ‘terrorist’ secret agent, because it’s unclear what she’s even for or against. Her thing is just “I don’t like the aliens because they’re, uh, dangerous.”

Whedon goes ‘meta’ and says that obviously the military’s going to train the aliens for “urban pacification”, and obviously they’re going to break out and kill everybody in an attempt to end the world, so why even bother with more detail?

As gone over many times earlier in the thread, Whedon’s idea of Alien movie is a product of Kirk Drift: conspiratorial reptilian space-perverts obsessed with nothing but catching this particular bug - each bug capable of killing trillions. Everyone engaged in casual murder. He’s creating/perpetuating the dumbass cliches he’s supposedly commenting on.

What you have written is, unfortunately, hyper-correct.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

cf. Jurassic World

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

These Pod and the Pendulum podcasters not only praise Prometheus, they rank both Prometheus and Alien 3 over Aliens.

Unfortunately they didn't say their SA handles during the broadcast.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/prometheus/id1462495693?i=1000479136671

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
aliens is a good movie but really overrated imo

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

aliens is a good movie but really overrated imo

It's the second best film featuring a xenomorph.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aliens and alien are my all time favorites but I love the underrated ones so much that I’m totes cool if someone puts them over it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I might be on the "Aliens is overrated" bandwagon if not for the Alien Queen, which is one of the greatest movie monsters of all time and one of the most impressive feats of creature effects work of all time.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is Aliens overrated, maybe. But if you're ranking it below any other film in that franchise that isn't the first, you should probably think about installing a CO detector in your house.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

Aliens and alien are my all time favorites but I love the underrated ones so much that I’m totes cool if someone puts them over it.

Yeah, Aliens is one of the best of its type of film, but it has a very different vibe that isn't really what I prefer.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

keep punching joe posted:

Is Aliens overrated, maybe. But if you're ranking it below any other film in that franchise that isn't the first, you should probably think about installing a CO detector in your house.

What that misses is that Aliens is a distinct franchise within that broader IP umbrella (largely made up of videogames). It's a spinoff that, as I've gone over previously, has very little narrative, thematic, or even plot continuity with the previous film.

In terms of genre, Aliens is definitely better than many of its peers (e.g. Independence Day), but it's not even quite as good as Cameron's own Terminator 1. And - hot take, perhaps - Terminator 1 isn't quite as good as Prometheus.

Outside the limits of the franchise, there are films that are much better at being "Alien" like Outland and Underwater.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

‘Aliens’, a foundational science fiction action/horror masterpiece which has been furiously cribbed from, quoted, and aped since its release, and features incredible performances (including a best actress Oscar nod for the portrayal of a character who became a landmark feminist icon and one of if not the first “action heroine”) and won multiple Oscars for its groundbreaking special effects (and got nominated for 7 Oscars in total), and widely regarded as one of the best sequels ever made, being labeled as “overrated” is such a spicy hot take that I think I might need a glass of milk to wash it down and take the edge off.

Some movies are just good, y’all.

Edit— Alien Day is in less than a week, I will actually be watching Prometheus for it because I haven’t watched it in 4K yet.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 22, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not that spicy. Aliens is the alien film that sticks out tonally along with Resurrection , and you vibe more on the horror side then you go the way of 3 to Prometheus and Covenant.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
That list just cements the "overrated" status

Which is not the same thing as "bad"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blood Boils posted:

That list just cements the "overrated" status
I’m not sure how.

Are you saying it doesn’t deserve the accolades?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 22, 2022

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Aliens is fantastic, it's also very different from Alien. Both can be true, and good. The xeno between the movies is so very different but I've always gone with the theory that every outbreak and iteration of the alien is different. Different eggs, different hosts, different environment.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

Even if you're a true believer in the Academy Awards, Alien is significantly better than Aliens and only received one Oscar (out of only two nominations). It wasn't even nominated for the best picture that year, as it ultimately went to fuckin' Kramer Versus Kramer. District 9 is, likewise, a much better film than Aliens, and only got four nominations.

But this is bypassing the actual point: "deserving accolades" ultimately just means that you'd recommend this movie to others because you feel it is important or whatever. And, like, I'd actually recommend Piotr Kamler's Chronopolis over Aliens any day of the week.

https://vimeo.com/507158467

Aliens has aged the worst out of anything in 'the franchise', while the Engineers in the city of Chronopolis are literally timeless.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Xenomrph posted:

I’m not sure how.

Eh, Predator is the superior alien vs human war film of the 1980s.

Also, Prometheus is great, an old man seeking eternal life being beaten to death with his son by a god yelling "Your children are your immortality you dickhead!"

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 22, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PeterCat posted:

Definitely disagree on that one, I wouldn’t even consider Predator a “war” film.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PeterCat posted:

Also, Prometheus is great, an old man seeking eternal life being beaten to death with his son by a god yelling "Your children are your immortality you dickhead!"
Shame about the other 90 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s weird seeing Aliens held up as the movie that “everyone copies” when the movie itself is just a link in a long line of remaking older works, just because Aliens was a well executed remake of previous films, it’s still derivative by its very nature.

Not saying that’s a bad thing, Alien itself is a link in the same remake chain, but gassing up Aliens as the one that broke the mold is just revisionist talk.