Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Marsupial Ape posted:

I know I'm a few days late, but this week's Get Played was great. Heather Anne Campbell is a goddam delight.

She certainly is. It seemed like the first few episodes she was stuck in a "grumpy" role but she's really shining lately. The three of them are a great team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

FitFortDanga posted:

She certainly is. It seemed like the first few episodes she was stuck in a "grumpy" role but she's really shining lately. The three of them are a great team.

I know that Heather is an accomplished improv and stage comedian, so I have no doubt that she doesn’t have stage fright issues, but she seemed so meek at the beginning of the podcast. Like maybe she was wasn’t very familiar Nick and Matt didn’t know how they would react with her sexual orientation and all the other poo poo gets attacked for as a woman on the internet. Then the boys love bombed her and she’s comfortable being herself. I remember around episode 30 or so where she made a joke out of no where about how Nick had tricked her into sucking his dick for two weeks. Nick was so blindsided he went into reboot mode and Matt about died laughing. Goddam delightful.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was going to say my only issue with Heather is that she's a Libertarian but apparently she's not anymore.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Some unique edges on her personality - she is hilarious and knowledgeable and brings a viewpoint I don’t get from a lot of gaming/comedy podcasts and I’m glad to have her added to my list of faves.

Really loved hearing her talk about Elden Ring and Kojima, and it was also great to hear her reference a conversation with Jordan Morris from an early Souls review with him as a guest.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like how Heather is able to keep wild facts about her background a secret until it's relevant, like how on the Street Fighter III episode she revealed that she participated in the first major Street Fighter II tournament in the US.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I know that Heather is an accomplished improv and stage comedian, so I have no doubt that she doesn’t have stage fright issues, but she seemed so meek at the beginning of the podcast. Like maybe she was wasn’t very familiar Nick and Matt didn’t know how they would react with her sexual orientation and all the other poo poo gets attacked for as a woman on the internet. Then the boys love bombed her and she’s comfortable being herself. I remember around episode 30 or so where she made a joke out of no where about how Nick had tricked her into sucking his dick for two weeks. Nick was so blindsided he went into reboot mode and Matt about died laughing. Goddam delightful.

Heather and Nick performed together on one of the first UCB Los angeles house teams which was like 2006 and collaborated for years at places like Funny or Die. I'm pretty sure she was also literally one of the first guests on Doughboys ever.

If I had to guess it was more just figuring out how the format of the show would work and how its clearly evolved as well.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

soggybagel posted:

Heather and Nick performed together on one of the first UCB Los angeles house teams which was like 2006 and collaborated for years at places like Funny or Die. I'm pretty sure she was also literally one of the first guests on Doughboys ever.

If I had to guess it was more just figuring out how the format of the show would work and how its clearly evolved as well.

I didn’t know that Heather and Nick went back that far. Cool. I’m just glad that everybody in the pod is comfortable being who they because that really lets them ‘yes and’ dark poo poo like the Virtual Boy intro skit. That was loving art.

Anyway, to the point at hand: loving he’ll, Mitch murdered a manatee, didn’t he?

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

This episode is loving crazy

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i do not understand who likes bug mane

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

I love that someone showed up unexpectedly at Mitch's door during a recording, that's such a potentially awesome bit, even when it's like a UPS guy that he has a friendly chat with.

I hate that it was Bug Mane this time =/

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

i like bug mane

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Cloks posted:

i like bug mane

Go away, Bug Mane.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it’s funny that Van is like “so a big reason we’re splitting up as a team is the economics of it, we have to split one check between two people and that’s not fair. Anyway here comes my full time personal assistant I can send out to do tech support for bits on a podcast if I want”

obviously I agree it’s bullshit to make him and Evan split ~125% of what one writer usually gets when they’re doing two writers’ worth of work, but it was a comical juxtaposition

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Go away, Bug Mane.

skittle skattle, you found me! I'm just a little buggie, skittling and skattling around the forums buzz buzz!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Xxc3vZ1QU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I like bug mane in bursts. Once every once in a while is the perfect amount of bug mane. Buzz buzz skittle skattle

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Cloks posted:

i like bug mane

me too skittle skattle

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I don't so much laugh at the things he says when he's on an episode, it's just the idea of someone going to such lengths to disrupt the least consequential endeavor humans have ever undertaken.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
yeah, he's not funny himself but man oh man you can tell that his friends think he is and I don't mind hearing that one bit. I also REALLY like watching loving dorks flip out about online it like somebody killed their dog

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz70Ot-yl8s

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the Craig character >>>> Bug Mane but it’s not like Bug Mane is bad or annoying, small doses where he just fucks with Nick and Mitch is perfect. don’t like a full ep of him

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Remember that without Bug Mane and their Bugcon, we couldn't have saved Cowan for further adventures in Tomorrow War 2.

https://youtu.be/RcC0ohPNI3w

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spoeank posted:

I like bug mane in bursts. Once every once in a while is the perfect amount of bug mane. Buzz buzz skittle skattle

Yea I wouldn't, like, sub to a podcast of his alone but he's fun in bursts

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Jeremor posted:

This episode is loving crazy

I haven't hit Bug Mane at 20min, but Nick and Mitch are having a lot of fun with perfect chemistry talking authoritatively and seriously about idiotic poo poo, i.e my favorite comedy style. Wet Hot American Summer, The Other Guys, Step Brothers, Zoolander, and Walk Hard come to mind for that (without claiming they're 10/10 for execution)

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I love bug mane because he taught me about the simulation(s)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Srice posted:

I like how Heather is able to keep wild facts about her background a secret until it's relevant, like how on the Street Fighter III episode she revealed that she participated in the first major Street Fighter II tournament in the US.

At the start of the pod I started "hearing evidence" that she was a compulsive STDH.txt person who is also a talented comedian and gamer, like something you let slide for friends. At this point I think she just does, in fact, have a crazily interesting life with huge breadth and depth of experience. If I had to guess I'd say either she consciously doesn't give a poo poo what strange men and goony types think, or she is unconsciously communicating in a way reminiscent of compulsive liars. Could be entirely in my head but it was a strong conclusion at the time

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Bug Mane spouting a bunch of poo poo I recognize from Alex Jones.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Analytic Engine posted:

At the start of the pod I started "hearing evidence" that she was a compulsive STDH.txt person who is also a talented comedian and gamer, like something you let slide for friends. At this point I think she just does, in fact, have a crazily interesting life with huge breadth and depth of experience. If I had to guess I'd say either she consciously doesn't give a poo poo what strange men and goony types think, or she is unconsciously communicating in a way reminiscent of compulsive liars. Could be entirely in my head but it was a strong conclusion at the time

I definitely never got that vibe at any point, there's just some interesting people out there who aren't forcing it into every conversation all of the time. And it's great!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Toast King posted:

I definitely never got that vibe at any point, there's just some interesting people out there who aren't forcing it into every conversation all of the time. And it's great!

Exactly, I had a pre-trained reaction to her being effortlessly honest and open about her cool stories. That behavior triggered my brain's "suspiciously unusual" alarm, and I made up an ex-post-facto explanation for it). Maybe that says something about the kind of people that get famous in podcasting outside of nerd niche topics. The first clue should have been "she performed with Nick for 12 years before this show".

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

eke out posted:

Eh some folk like certain guests others do not, I'd guess maybe one in twenty episodes I can't stand the guest and skip ahead to the next ep. Even when the Simpsons were in their golden age there'd be a few clip shows mixed in that nobody is obligated to sit through to feel like they got the whole experience.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I like that the fast food podcast has a rogues gallery of weirdos and villains

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Analytic Engine posted:

Exactly, I had a pre-trained reaction to her being effortlessly honest and open about her cool stories. That behavior triggered my brain's "suspiciously unusual" alarm, and I made up an ex-post-facto explanation for it). Maybe that says something about the kind of people that get famous in podcasting outside of nerd niche topics. The first clue should have been "she performed with Nick for 12 years before this show".

Heather was in a Wendy’s commercial. She’s our Queen.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

she was in both Saturday Night Live and Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo, she has an incredible imdb

also listened to one yesterday with her casually dropping "when we were filming the first season of the Eric Andre show" and realized she wrote on the first two seasons there

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 22, 2022

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
If HAC has anything to do with the James Van Der Beek episode of Eric Andre, I am even bigger fan than I already was. One of the wildest things on one of the wildest shows.

Edit: alas, not that ep but some other amazing comedians were writers there

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

We're going to start hearing about fan letters to Wonder Showzen recommending a backwards episode.

Like, there are 30-somethings in the US who can *actually* back up the claim "I put a cool drawing with a list of powers for my megamanboss in an envelope and mailed the envelope to Nintendo and Nintendo is putting him in the next game because he was better than every other kid's megamanboss from the entire country... except maybe Alaska and Hawaii cause I didn't see their megamanbosses"

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The arbys fish sandwich isn't very good. Wish I'd just gotten the roast beef.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
RIP. I still want to try it. Double Filet o Fish is a classic though. Usually not on menu, but McD’s will make it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Drunkboxer posted:

I like that the fast food podcast has a rogues gallery of weirdos and villains

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The Arby's Fish Sandwich is very good do not listen to the haters and the losers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
gyros fuckin great too