Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1517224789177516034

That is a staggering number, I hope it's an overestimate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

zoux posted:

loving NATO forcing Russians to bury civvies

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

The biggest challenge to this I would make is that the USSR was a great power within living memory - especially among the political leadership of most countries. Collective memory lasts a long time and there are multiple international organizations built in part or in whole to maintain the balance of power with the USSR/Russia.

Chances are they lost that status years ago, the USSR was a crumbling empire when it fell and it apparently hasn't regained that stature. This war in Ukraine is just opening a lot of peoples' eyes to that, and to the value of alliances/cooperation among nations.

We agree entirely on these facts. My impression of how the term "Great Power" is used refers to a set of beliefs about the state's abilities in the eyes of political actors/the public at large. The ambiguity about the true strength of their military kept up their status, until they actually had to prove it. Even if one suspected the Russian (conventional) military wasn't as potent as propaganda portrayed it, the actual decrepitude was still pretty surprising.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Imp of Nipples posted:

Do the Chinese actually have any 'recent', real combat experience? A number of western nations have been engaged in the ME and Africa the past generation. Has China have anything to learn from any actual engagements?

Forget even combat experience. If there's anything we've learned in the last 2 months, it's that logistics is apparently 80% of the game. Does China's military even have the ability to sustain an expeditionary force trying to take Taiwan?

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
The latest US aid package that includes the 155's also includes a new Switchblade-like suicide drone called "Phoenix Ghost". Apparently it was developed by the USAF in the last couple of months in response to Ukrainian needs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Given we have at least one documented call where Russian troops said their command told them to shoot civvies on site.....yeah....

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

psydude posted:

Forget even combat experience. If there's anything we've learned in the last 2 months, it's that logistics is apparently 80% of the game. Does China's military even have the ability to sustain an expeditionary force trying to take Taiwan?

They have the civilian industrial base for it, but doing it under fire is a completely different animal. The general wisdom is they are rapidly maturing a domestic capability on par with some NATO nations not named the United States.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
https://mobile.twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1517187794527043585

Seems the FSB isn't the only group out there that can hit foreign targets.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is that to gain practical experience? My take on it was that China is trying to expand its sphere of influence by building infrastructure projects in other countries - how valuable those projects are to said host countries being a topic of debate. But one of the big caveats is that China often does most/all of the construction, security, and often the labor and operations once those facilities are complete.

Yeah, this is correct.

Both China and Russia have been trying to expand their influence in Africa diplomatically, economically, and militarily.

Russia is doing this partly through the PMC Wagner.

China is, like you said, burdening countries with unsustainable infrastructure projects that saddle the host country with debt, all the while the host country leader gets massive kickbacks directly from China.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cimber posted:

Once is happenstance, twice is misfortune, three times is enemy action insurance fraud.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Cimber posted:

gently caress yes

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
No, you guys, this is part of the plan! I can't figure exactly how, but it is!!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Naked Bear posted:

No, you guys, this is part of the plan! I can't figure exactly how, but it is!!

Glorious Russia has decided to stop using toxic chemicals

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Honestly I'm more willing to chalk it up to just sheer Russian incompetence at this point.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

psydude posted:

Honestly I'm more willing to chalk it up to just sheer Russian incompetence at this point.

Fair point. How often do these sorts of things catch fire that we don't hear about? How big of a deal is this actually?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
A single chemical plant catching fire is indicative of precisely nothing. That said, it's definitely not good timing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cimber posted:

Fair point. How often do these sorts of things catch fire that we don't hear about? How big of a deal is this actually?

Often enough that they tried to use it as an excuse for a capital ship sinking, apparently.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://youtu.be/c24PlSKEwOs

:rip:

Bye bye air defense research. :bisonyes:

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Would any of their space tech have been lost in there?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Joke Miriam posted:

That’s a good question. I’m not sure of all the stuff that went on there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Joke Miriam posted:

I have to imagine Russia has a fairly robust, redundant system for offsite data storage

lol

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tiny Timbs posted:

I have to imagine Russia has a fairly robust, redundant system for offsite data storage

lol

Igor with drawers full of unlabeled MicroSD cards.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Igor with drawers full supposed to be full of unlabeled MicroSD cards.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

500 unlabelled thumb drives stored right next to the nasty malware ones

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Whoopsie

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

There's a scene in the new Batman with a USB drive where Batman & Gordon find it attached to a thumb from a murder victim and Gordon plugs it into a networked GCPD computer he is logged into and is shocked when it takes malicious action with his email account. I'd have said it was clunky storytelling but would imagine it's still an effective technique in use nowadays. I was thinking of all the Darknet Diaries episodes where the goal of an onsite tester is often to plug a USB drive into a networked computer to run a program and that counts as success.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Hyrax Attack! posted:

There's a scene in the new Batman with a USB drive where Batman & Gordon find it attached to a thumb from a murder victim and Gordon plugs it into a networked GCPD computer he is logged into and is shocked when it takes malicious action with his email account. I'd have said it was clunky storytelling but would imagine it's still an effective technique in use nowadays. I was thinking of all the Darknet Diaries episodes where the goal of an onsite tester is often to plug a USB drive into a networked computer to run a program and that counts as success.

There's a scene in "Servant Of The People" where not-Zelenskyy is mailed a USB drive with a threatening note and promptly plugs it into his laptop. :whitewater:

Hollywood needs to catch up on basic security- an untrusted USB drive is like finding a hypodermic syringe with a brown liquid in it. You absolutely want to find out what it is, but you don't just stick it in your arm and slap the plunger.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So a little more info… apparently they also did all the ballistic missiles here.

https://youtu.be/T-K0Jm83GmY

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/04/21/6-dead-in-fire-at-russian-aerospace-defense-research-institute-state-media-a77446

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Uncle Enzo posted:

There's a scene in "Servant Of The People" where not-Zelenskyy is mailed a USB drive with a threatening note and promptly plugs it into his laptop. :whitewater:

Hollywood needs to catch up on basic security- an untrusted USB drive is like finding a hypodermic syringe with a brown liquid in it. You absolutely want to find out what it is, but you don't just stick it in your arm and slap the plunger.

The problem here is similar to the problem with guns in Hollywood (note: I am not making a statement about Baldwin) - realism takes a backseat to writing, because doing things correctly is often more boring than simply letting [action] be a plot device. Shows and films that are heavily focused on one or another will often hire experts to lend some credibility and realism to it - I'm thinking explicitly about Mr. Robot (technology) and John Wick (guns) as examples.

To put this into context, if you have a show that isn't heavily focused on technology and someone finds an untrusted USB - does it serve the narrative to both make a secured/airgapped laptop available to investigate, which then requires exposition, additional writing, and additional screen time, or does it make sense to just have The Hero plug it in and find The Clue?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Uncle Enzo posted:

Seems realistic to me, my company does poisoned usb awareness by chucking rubber duckies on peoples desks and even after a few years of this people still get nabbed by the siren call of the unlabeled, unmarked usb that magically appears on your desk.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cimber posted:

I mean, ask Texas?

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Stultus Maximus posted:

I mean, ask Texas?

So once every other weekish.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Not sure if this was posted or not, but goddamn is it spicy.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-april-21

The Kremlin’s declaration of victory in Mariupol is unlikely to enable the deployment of significant combat power to reinforce offensive operations in eastern Ukraine in the coming days or weeks.
Russian forces involved in the battle of Mariupol are likely heavily damaged and Ukrainian forces succeeded in tying down and degrading a substantial Russian force.
Russian forces continued offensive operations in eastern Ukraine but made only marginal gains.
Ukrainian forces continued to halt Russian attacks around Izyum.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Cimber posted:

psydude posted:

regular brain: ukrainian security services are executing sabotage attacks within russia's borders
expanding brain: buildings in russia just spontaneously catch fire all the time because of poor construction and/or incompetent staff tossing lit butts into wastebins
galaxy brain: disgruntled FSB agents have returned to their traditional area expertise, attacking domestic targets, to cripple their own war effort because they think putin has lost it

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

galaxy brain: disgruntled FSB agents have returned to their traditional area expertise, attacking domestic targets, to cripple their own war effort because they think putin has lost it
Well, uhhhh...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_apartment_bombings

e: nvm, you're probably already referring to this :doh:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
hell, even if you don't wanna go full conspiracy you could still look at something like the dubrovka siege or beslan and come to the reasonable conclusion that the FSB personnel assigned to protect these important strategic sites somehow managed to set them on fire despite the best of intentions

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

hell, even if you don't wanna go full conspiracy you could still look at something like the dubrovka siege or beslan and come to the reasonable conclusion that the FSB personnel assigned to protect these important strategic sites somehow managed to set them on fire despite the best of intentions

I'd rather besiege a bottle of Żubrówka personally.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cimber posted:

Russian forces continued offensive operations in eastern Ukraine but made only marginal gains.
Ukrainian forces continued to halt Russian attacks around Izyum.

Russia has been absolutely pounding the poo poo out of those lines for three days now without much to show for it. Is this just fires prepatory to an assault? Or, is this what they’ve got?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

If you liked that propaganda video, wait until you see the glorious e-tool one.

https://youtu.be/pGdbbEZVHqw

Lmao, is that the Magnificent Seven theme song?

https://youtu.be/8XDB7GMnbUQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Lmao, is that the Magnificent Seven theme song?

https://youtu.be/8XDB7GMnbUQ

Nah, it's from Siverado.