Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Gumshoe comes back just be to the murder victim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yvonmukluk posted:

So what, AA7 is the first of the new trilogy or is it a new character/setting a la GAA?
I don't think we know much of anything about either except that their names were on a leaked Capcom release timeline. But assumptions are that the AA Trilogy 2 is Apollo Justice thru Spirit of Justice, and that AA7 isn't part of the new trilogy.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Do gold points only apply to Switch eShop purchases? I'm trying to purchase one of the Etrian Odyssey games on 3DS and between the sale price, my existing eShop balance, and my gold points I should be able to purchase it without using a card, but it's only applying the account balance to the transaction.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

gold points are only for the Switch, yes.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Originally the gold points were used to get 3DS menu themes, discounts for certain 3DS or Wii U games (i.e. "spend 60 gold points, get 40% off Ocarina of Time 3D"), or rarely there were straight up full indie games redeemable.

The straight up eShop credit bonus was only ever a thing on the Switch.

midnight_skies
Mar 27, 2022

"b'oh"

(_8^(|)
The input redirection option on a hacked 3ds is amazing. My hands cramp up easily when playing mkds/mk7 these days, so it's nice to replay them without pain, on a big comfy controller, while still using real hardware for the 3D effect.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

you what? there's no port for a controller!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I know there's plugins for homebrewed Vitas to accept input from other controllers through the Bluetooth module, I assume there's a similar way for the 3DS to do so thru wifi. Might involve having to redirect thru your PC though if the controller isn't wifi itself.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

midnight_skies posted:

The input redirection option on a hacked 3ds is amazing. My hands cramp up easily when playing mkds/mk7 these days, so it's nice to replay them without pain, on a big comfy controller, while still using real hardware for the 3D effect.

First, wow, I haven't seen a new user in these dead gay comedy forums in... a long time, so welcome aboard!

Second, I had no idea this was a thing. Is this project what you are using? Seems like it should (in theory) have some noticeable lag what with the way it works:

quote:

This is a Node.js implementation for input redirection with minimal build steps. Based heavily on InputRedirection-Qt and xinputjs, this node process wraps Microsoft's xinput game controller API, encodes controller input, and sends it to the UDP port on the 3DS waiting patiently for binary controller data.

How fast/responsive does it work?

midnight_skies
Mar 27, 2022

"b'oh"

(_8^(|)

Saoshyant posted:

First, wow, I haven't seen a new user in these dead gay comedy forums in... a long time, so welcome aboard!
Thank you!

Saoshyant posted:

Is this project what you are using? Seems like it should (in theory) have some noticeable lag what with the way it works
This is what I'm using. I haven't noticed any lag so far. I also haven't done any rigorous testing of it either. But, from the couple rounds of Mario Kart I've played, it's so smooth that I forget it's running from my pc and casting inputs to the 3ds. It is picky about controllers, it only seems to pick up Xinput controllers (I tried hooking up a Switch Pro Controller and it didn't work for me). The button mapping can also be a bit weird. It has y-x and b-a swapped by default, but you can disable that. I assume this is to make 3ds control prompts line up with the button placement on an Xbox controller. Clicking in the left stick presses home, and clicking in the right stick presses power. There's no way to change these, as far as I can tell.

e: I just realized I should mention that I have 5G fiber optic internet. The redirection may be dependent on how fast your internet is.

midnight_skies fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 11, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Anyone here played Severed? I saw it on a couple of "here's what you should buy before the eShop goes down" lists and picked it up on sale the other day. Neat little action dungeon crawler where you use the stylus for directional sword strikes and to dismember monsters. It's got a pretty striking visual style too, a weird mix of Mesoamerican(?) styling and psychedelic color schemes. It's not terribly complex so far but I'm liking it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I lost interest but it seems to be a pretty cool game. Let us know how it ends up.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Severed was pretty lauded back in the day when it first launched on the Vita. Had no idea if the 3DS port was good, but from C-Euro above seems like it. It's not a long game, too, if anyone's looking for a short but unique experience.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've received a brand new 3DS game in TYOOL 2022.

I love the early 90s Squaresoft look they got.
Here's something interesting in the corner:

The 3DS box looks different than a standard one. I guess what I heard is true, Nintendo ran out a while ago.

The cartridge is basically what would have come out back in the heyday

Haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'll give it a shot before falling asleep. I did dump the CIA file to my computer though.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Anyone here played Severed? I saw it on a couple of "here's what you should buy before the eShop goes down" lists and picked it up on sale the other day. Neat little action dungeon crawler where you use the stylus for directional sword strikes and to dismember monsters. It's got a pretty striking visual style too, a weird mix of Mesoamerican(?) styling and psychedelic color schemes. It's not terribly complex so far but I'm liking it.

Do you have a link to that video? I've been watching similar ones but they all have the same few, well known titles.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hows it smell though

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm glad you asked!

Mine smells like pine.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
is the game at all related to vagrant story or is it just a pun

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s just a pun.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's a pun. It's a SRPG in the vein of Tatctics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics, both Matsuno games, who also made Vagrant Story.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It looks interesting. Definitely let us know if it's a good game after a bit. :filez: may await

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
thinkin about picking up a 2DSXL before they become insanely expensive. what are the console essentials? i played MH4 and Isaac to death years ago, but foolishly sold my system in 2017. are all models easily hacked with CFW?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

beer gas canister posted:

thinkin about picking up a 2DSXL before they become insanely expensive. what are the console essentials? i played MH4 and Isaac to death years ago, but foolishly sold my system in 2017. are all models easily hacked with CFW?

CFW is pretty easy on all models, yes: https://3ds.guide

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

beer gas canister posted:

Warioware Gold and Rhythm Heaven Megamix are musts imo.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've received a brand new 3DS game in TYOOL 2022.
So what's the story here? I thought Persona Q2 (2019) was the last traditionally published physical 3DS release in North America. I know LRG did the Atooi Collection in 2020, but I haven't seen other 3DS carts for sale in a while. But then Nintendo Life posted a couple of weeks ago that some first-party titles have gotten reprints in the EU/UK?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign.com/articles/meet-last-developers-releasing-games-3ds-wii-u%3famp=1

There's at least 3 developers bringing games to the Wii U and 3DS right now. Kage is the creator of Fragrant Story which was originally a mini game inside of another game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I was able to get an in box copy of Mario 3D Land from a GameStop for 17 bucks, not bad.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm really glad I decided to get a New 2DS right before the plague when the old stock was still semi readily available. I probably didn't get into any deep cuts but its a great feeling device and it had so many good games on it.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 22, 2022

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Yea, I’m also glad I picked mine up when Nintendo were still doing refurbished units. After hacking its turned into my goto handheld for GBA/DS/3DS. Such a great little system and I’m going to be sad whenever it conks out on me one of these years.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
This is my collection. The 2DS itself is one of the grey and purple ones with Mario Kart 7 preinstalled. If I see any other games left in stores that are cool I'd get them but I think most everyone has cleared it out by now.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I thought about selling my New 3DSXL a few years ago and I’m really glad I didn’t know. I even bought a new battery and housing for it and it looks like brand new again.

It’s cool how far emulation has come for both DS and 3DS but I’ll never enjoy playing 2 screen games on something that isn’t the original units. It’s just uncomfortable.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Its probably more comfortable but it just feels wrong yeah

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hatty posted:

Its probably more comfortable but it just feels wrong yeah

Oh yeah, I bought a grip too and it massively improves how comfortable the 3DS is. It even puts the dpad in a comfortable enough position to be usable!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm just waiting for someone to put out an atomic purple case mod for the 2DS XL

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
2DS XL already came in a nice purple. Wish the n3DS XL did, the Galaxy one was close but was blue inside

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Heath posted:

I'm just waiting for someone to put out an atomic purple case mod for the 2DS XL

I miss the era of all transparent game consoles. I got the Forza Xbox controller to bring some of it back.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

hatty posted:

2DS XL already came in a nice purple. Wish the n3DS XL did, the Galaxy one was close but was blue inside

But it isn't transparent

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
If the n3DS XL was in the form factor of the 2DS XL, I reckon it'd be the perfect handheld. As it is, I find it to be *just* a little too heavy/bulky for pockets/packing. A plastic grip for it definitely makes it nicer to play with, though definitely adds to the bulk, and I have to take it out to put it in the charging dock. The 2DS XL on the other hand feels just right, but I'd miss the 3D too much for games like Mario 3D.

I was just doing an order from Core Electronics for some Arduino related bits and remembered you can add a USB-C charging port with a bit of disassembly and soldering. Not sure I'm quite up to it yet, but only a couple bucks to buy a little USB-C socket on a breakout board, might as well have it on hand for when I'm feeling more adventurous. I use those little magnetic plugs that turn Lightning, USB-C, and micro-USB into miniature mag-safe charging ports, would be nice to have the 3DS on the same system as all my other portable electronics.

hatty posted:

The Galaxy one is really pretty. We never got them in Australia (just a plain deep blue/purple that seems to be otherwise identical), but I made my own by buying an exterior top shell on AliExpress and swapping it over.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I thought about selling my New 3DSXL a few years ago and I’m really glad I didn’t know. I even bought a new battery and housing for it and it looks like brand new again.

It’s cool how far emulation has come for both DS and 3DS but I’ll never enjoy playing 2 screen games on something that isn’t the original units. It’s just uncomfortable.

You completely did a shell swap? How bad was that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The GBA SP is a pain in the butt dealing with the hinge and all, I imagine the 3DS is even worse