Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nuns with Guns posted:

https://twitter.com/DnDMovie/status/1517175964358234114

Which Forgotten Realms character does everyone hope gets to be in the after-credits stinger of this?

Drizzt obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nuns with Guns posted:

https://twitter.com/DnDMovie/status/1517175964358234114

Which Forgotten Realms character does everyone hope gets to be in the after-credits stinger of this?

Dame Judi Dench, but a cat (butthole version).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Spelljammer announced

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CitizenKeen posted:

BTW, all those powers are from the "Spider-Powers" set, not a mobility set. So Webgliding and Webtrapping are in the power set along with Spider-Pheromones, Venom Blast, and super strength. I don't know if that makes it better or worse.
...what?

So there's, like, a class/power array/whatever that's just "is spider-man?"

...what?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
From the man who brought us an entire class about being a poison gas dispenser.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Does anyone here actually have the Marvel playtest rules? If so, would it be possible with the rules given to create, say, Nitro? Swarm? Absorbing Man? The Mad Thinker (and his Amazing Android!)? Or is it all fairly specific to the heroes given in the playtest version?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

FMguru posted:

The combination of a clunky, complicated, crunchy system with detailed skill trees and giant dice pools with "well, it's the GM's job to make sure everyone gets an equal chance to shine" is really something. Delivering a giant 300 page brick of a game system and then throwing all responsibility onto the GM for making sure it delivers anything resembling a fun group experience - I mean, wow.

Are there even any metaplot points or other balancing mechanics in this game? Even the early 1980s TSR FASERIP game had Karma Points players could spend for narrative purposes.

About the only good thing I can see about this game is that at least they didn't make the laziest possible choice and try to build it on top of D&D 5E.

I think there's at least one fairly recent 5E supers game.

Edit:Lol, there are in fact multiple already, and more kickstarted ones on the way.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 21, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mirage posted:

Does anyone here actually have the Marvel playtest rules? If so, would it be possible with the rules given to create, say, Nitro? Swarm? Absorbing Man? The Mad Thinker (and his Amazing Android!)? Or is it all fairly specific to the heroes given in the playtest version?

Not with rules as given. These are the powers in the playtest

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Splicer posted:

...what?

So there's, like, a class/power array/whatever that's just "is spider-man?"

...what?

Like, I'm not defending the game, but as noted, this makes sense in the context of the Marvel universe. Look over at what FFG is doing with Marvel Champions - out of about 30 heroes, they've released/announced Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Miles Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Ham, and Peni Parker aka SP//dr. Not to mention cards for people like Spider-Man Noir. And that's also the power set for Spider-Girl, Silk, Spider-Man 2099, Scarlet Spider (and all the other Spider-Man clones), Venom (and Agent Venom)... Marvel keeps going back to that well. A lot. So it kind of makes sense that it's its own power set.

Mirage posted:

They've been pretty clear that the power sets in the playtest are just for the characters in the playtest. So they're not testing a lot of tricky power sets like magic, mind-control, shapeshifting, duplication, etc.

Power sets in the playtest: Battlesuit, Blades, Cybernetics, Firearms, Energy Control, Martial Arts, Plasticity, Shield-Bearer, Spider-Powers, Super Strength, Tactical Mastery, and Weather Control.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 21, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The WEG DC Universe assumed that speedsters would get their power from the Speed Force, like the Flash, so the Super Speed power included all the classic Flash stunts.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

A universe where "spiders" is a fundamental force of the universe like "candy" is in Adventure Time sounds rad as gently caress.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
All this Marvel talk reminds me there's this super cheap reprint of a very early superhero RPG called Supergame available on Amazon and I've been meaning to buy a copy to give a once over

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

drrockso20 posted:

All this Marvel talk reminds me there's this super cheap reprint of a very early superhero RPG called Supergame available on Amazon and I've been meaning to buy a copy to give a once over

Thanks for bringing this up. I'm gonna check it out.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
So D&D Beyond released Monstrous Compendium Vol 1: Spelljammer Creatures for D&D 5E today, a free little sampler of Spelljammer monsters to go along with the announcement of the Spelljammer setting books. One of the monsters in it is this unfriendly fellow:

Meet the Goon Balloon. The Goon Balloon speaks by passing air through a "hidden orifice on its underside" and upon death, it bursts into a cloud of noxious, poisonous gas.

:allears:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tulul posted:

So D&D Beyond released Monstrous Compendium Vol 1: Spelljammer Creatures for D&D 5E today, a free little sampler of Spelljammer monsters to go along with the announcement of the Spelljammer setting books. One of the monsters in it is this unfriendly fellow:

Meet the Goon Balloon. The Goon Balloon speaks by passing air through a "hidden orifice on its underside" and upon death, it bursts into a cloud of noxious, poisonous gas.

lmao

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tulul posted:

Someone let mearls make a creature,lol

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Someone let mearls make a creature,lol

Why does it explode in an embarrassing, impotent way.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 22, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Why does it explode in an embarrassing, impotent way.

Mearls still works for WotC.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tulul posted:

No pig balls 0/5

Or is it itself one big pig ball?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Tulul posted:

i don't come here to be attacked

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I know I know that but I can’t remember it. It’s not Darkstar is it?

Ugh this is gonna bother me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Don't worry, it is!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Don't worry, it is!

Thank you. That would’ve been 30% of my brain for the rest of the day.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

This is :perfect:, intentional or not, but as an Australian I'm also wondering if booze comes out when you squeeze it :thunk:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Book of Erotic Fantasy Idea: The Gooning Balloon

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Tulul posted:

I like how this has Wis 14 for some reason. Clearly, it has things figured out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SimonChris posted:

I like how this has Wis 14 for some reason. Clearly, it has things figured out.

It's round. It has claws. It farts to talk. Wis 18 imo.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's round. It has claws. It farts to talk. Wis 18 imo.

I will not see the noble flumph disparaged in this way :colbert:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kestral posted:

I will not see the noble flumph disparaged in this way :colbert:

I don't know enough about the flumph to disparage it.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

So facebook/instagram recently bombarded me with advertisements of new book from hack-frau..Monte Cook Games. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/old-gods-of-appalachia-roleplaying-game and I must say this looks like extremely my poo poo (didn't listen to the podcast but will probably get into it). Thing is I did not hear good stuff about is Cypher System. Anyone got experience with running games in it? How does it fit this kind of horror game?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I mean, that's the genre/tone/setting of a solid 2/3rds of all the games I run, so in theory it should be extremely my poo poo.

But first, you know, Monte Cook anything just fills me with unending apathy that could swallow worlds. Second, while I have heard some good things about the Cypher System (from memory, it's the company that's dodgy not the game system itself), I've heard nothing that would make me think it'd make a particularly good horror game. Keeping in mind that I have yet to find an actually good system for horror because outside of Dread the majority are just "a resolution mechanic that can also have stats for ghosts" instead of proper genre emulation.

I like the art. :shrug:

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

It does seem that most Monte Cooks book have gorgeous production values - I have numenera and gods of the fall I got from humble bundle or something and they are beautiful books. But nothing I've heard or read about the mechanics in those games makes me want to run them

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Monte Cook can't actually design a game and he doesn't seem very imaginative, honestly. He seems to have one idea, "magic = science = magic" and puts it in everything he does, and it's just not that interesting. I guess we'll always have the Great Modron March.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 27, 2022

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

Monte Cook can't actually design a game and he doesn't seem very imaginative, honestly. He seems to have one idea, "magic = science = magic" and puts it in everything he does, and it's just not that interesting.
His games have lots of content, lots of details, all of which are very well presented, and none of which are at all interesting.

His stuff is just dull.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
🪑

🪑

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Cypher's a pretty terrible system. Its most notable feature is that your stats, instead of giving continuous bonuses or benefits, are resources to spend - you spend a point of Strength to get a bonus on a roll involving being strong, and recharge them when you rest. This could work with survival horror as a dwindling resources management mechanic, but I'm not sure how well it would.

Moreover there's the issue of Cyphers themselves. In the original Numenera they were one-use magic items which were intended to be used frequently and rotated quickly to ensure that the players' bases for problem solving didn't become static and stagnant, which is in principle a good idea, but I have no idea how they'd translate to horror. The cynic says they'll just be given some weird theme and stuck in as is. The deeper cynic says they'll also have OMG horrific scary sacrifices added and thus become unusable.

Anyone know what happened to that Blades In The Dark but flashbacks are an in-character superpower game that Cook was doing previously?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
My experience with the Cypher system suggests it's mechanically what you'd expect from a game designer whose entire career was spent on the likes of the d20 system trying to recreate FATE from half remembered, third-hand accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yep. 100%

hyphz posted:

Anyone know what happened to that Blades In The Dark but flashbacks are an in-character superpower game that Cook was doing previously?
Ooh, he can call them Player Intrusions!