Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Xombie posted:

No company does, except Disney

0 <> 1. Therefore none of this matters:

quote:

and it's a quirk of its theme park size and a mid-century conceptualization of what Disney was going to be. In reality, it's now just them maintaining their own infrastructure, which they keep so that they can maintain the world's largest amusement park. Every other company in the US just asks for tax abatements. No one else is interested in the kind of setup that Disney has, and there's no real way for them to seek it out.

Dissolving Reedy Creek does not solve any meaningful problem in the real world, or else the GOP wouldn't be doing it. DeSantis isn't shooting himself in the foot. It makes things annoying for Disney, incentivizes them to be even less progressive in the future, and creates a burden for a section of the state that doesn't vote for him. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
It's amazing to me how gullible progressive leftward people can be towards right-wing authoritarian propaganda. There seems to be a pattern developing between where a right authoritarian does something objectively horrible, and the online left-wing echo chambers just start defending it or saying how it is actually the democrat's fault without any regard to the actual issue. trying to pin down their reasoning on why it is a good thing I a Satre-esq endeavor of meaningless wordplay used to draw the conversation further and further from reality and tangible outcomes.

You see it with the Disney issue, with the Ukraine invasion, with almost anything Trump. it's really quite consistent at this point.

Why is it hard to understand that Ron Desantis attacking Disney for defending the existence of gay people is not something that should be cheered on?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xombie posted:

Because again, this doesn't actually hurt any executives at Disney. It just disincentivizes Disney and other corporations with power to speak out against the GOP. The incentive for a corporation to do any pro-worker or progressive policy, or even just a public statement of condemnation of the GOP being assholes, is because it makes them look good and has no downside. The GOP is creating a downside to shut them up.

It's this. Performative rainbow capitalism is still too far for the fascists and they want to make a demonstration of such. The weird state of Disneyworld as a result of a long aborted crazyass project is just a piece of leverage they happen to be trying to use.

Which is still an interesting scenario without particular precedent. What will Disney do? Obviously besides playing both-sides, but I think that's not even going to work any more. What would it look like for them to try to capitulate or appease them? Or to fight back? Who blinks first?

Also I'm not sure how many leftists are actually picking a side here vs being the proverbial sicko at the window going "Yes... yes...!"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It's amazing to me how gullible progressive leftward people can be towards right-wing authoritarian propaganda. There seems to be a pattern developing between where a right authoritarian does something objectively horrible, and the online left-wing echo chambers just start defending it or saying how it is actually the democrat's fault without any regard to the actual issue. trying to pin down their reasoning on why it is a good thing I a Satre-esq endeavor of meaningless wordplay used to draw the conversation further and further from reality and tangible outcomes.

You see it with the Disney issue, with the Ukraine invasion, with almost anything Trump. it's really quite consistent at this point.

Why is it hard to understand that Ron Desantis attacking Disney for defending the existence of gay people is not something that should be cheered on?

"Those propagandized leftists, unlike me, who is not the victim of any propaganda at all, no siree"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think big corporations should get huge tax breaks or be able to ignore local laws in the first place so I'll be mildly amused if DeSantis fucks with them even if it's for awful reasons, but I also don't think he really will.

DeSantis successfully loving with them will give them a huge tax break and offload their debt onto taxpayers.

The current district has no actual residents outside of a small amount of corporate Disney staff and no other businesses. The advantage it gives Disney is not a financial one (they are required to cover all of their municipal services and infrastructure usually paid for by local government and they spend much larger amounts than a local municipal government would) and is primarily an issue of zoning and organization. Disney doesn't have to get approval from 3 different counties to build things on their park and they can prevent other businesses from opening up right outside of the park.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It's amazing to me how gullible progressive leftward people can be towards right-wing authoritarian propaganda. There seems to be a pattern developing between where a right authoritarian does something objectively horrible, and the online left-wing echo chambers just start defending it or saying how it is actually the democrat's fault without any regard to the actual issue.
If Republicans aren't funding this stuff, they'd be pretty smart to start.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Which is still an interesting scenario without particular precedent. What will Disney do? Obviously besides playing both-sides, but I think that's not even going to work any more. What would it look like for them to try to capitulate or appease them? Or to fight back? Who blinks first?

dissolving RCID is annoying at best for disney. its worth fighting in the courts because this weird exemption is handy to have but its not going to shut down disney world or anything

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also I'm not sure how many leftists are actually picking a side here vs being the proverbial sicko at the window going "Yes... yes...!"

a lot of folks are being baited into endorsing a tax increase on the working class in the name of anti-corporatism and its just kind of amazing how effectively desantis' framing is working here

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's this. Performative rainbow capitalism is still too far for the fascists and they want to make a demonstration of such. The weird state of Disneyworld as a result of a long aborted crazyass project is just a piece of leverage they happen to be trying to use.

Disney will probably capitulate, and begin searching for a new state to move their HQ in 5-10.

Lib and let die posted:

The insitict to have the let them fight dot gif reaction is strong, but probably a misfire on this one.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Lib and let die posted:

0 <> 1. Therefore none of this matters:

"But Disney exists" is not a substantive argument against "this thing Disney is doing doesn't really matter and getting rid of it doesn't meaningfully solve any problem".

Xombie fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 22, 2022

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

DeSantis successfully loving with them will give them a huge tax break and offload their debt onto taxpayers.

The current district has no actual residents outside of a small amount of corporate Disney staff and no other businesses. The advantage it gives Disney is not a financial one (they are required to cover all of their municipal services and infrastructure usually paid for by local government and they spend much larger amounts than a local municipal government would) and is primarily an issue of zoning and organization. Disney doesn't have to get approval from 3 different counties to build things on their park and they can prevent other businesses from opening up right outside of the park.

Disney owns all* the land in the district. Businesses couldn't open up on that property whether the RCID was in place or not.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Disney will probably capitulate, and begin searching for a new state to move their HQ in 5-10.

Disney's HQ is in California.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Xombie posted:

"But Disney exists" is not a substantive argument against "this thing Disney is doing doesn't really matter and getting rid of it doesn't meaningfully solve any problem".

You forgot to put "with a special carveout for its own self-governance status" after "But Disney exists". Try and keep up, sug.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Are people cheering on DeSantis or are you missing the nuance between disliking company towns on principle and cheering on right-wing attacks on companies for not being anti-LGBT enough

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Disney's HQ is in California.

Wait, what? I could have sworn I read it was in Florida. my bad. Well then they'll for sure capitulate. what are they going to do, move Disney world?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Mellow Seas posted:

If Republicans aren't funding this stuff, they'd be pretty smart to start.

On page 90 of this thread, during Peter Thiel chat, a vanity fair article was linked that says he's been reaching out to the Red Scare podcast. Conservatives / authoritarians are absolutely reaching out to the authoritarian-left.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

How are u posted:

On page 90 of this thread, during Peter Thiel chat, a vanity fair article was linked that says he's been reaching out to the Red Scare podcast. Conservatives / authoritarians are absolutely reaching out to the authoritarian-left.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

What in the world is this and what is this supposed to mean?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Lib and let die posted:

You forgot to put "with a special carveout for its own self-governance status" after "But Disney exists". Try and keep up, sug.

You forgot the part where the "special carveout" is building infrastructure and doing away with it doesn't actually meaningfully help people.

Once again, the GOP is not accidentally doing something that will meaningfully hurt Disney's bottom line, or help workers at Disney or anywhere else in any sense at all. You can't seem to name any what it does in actual reality. Instead it's just pithy one-liners.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Are people cheering on DeSantis or are you missing the nuance between disliking company towns on principle and cheering on right-wing attacks on companies for not being anti-LGBT enough

its fine to dislike company towns in principle, but when dissolving the company town means a billion-with-a-b transfer of debt from the company to the public, i don't think the company is the one getting owned here

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

People who disagree with you aren’t gullible or stupid by nature and this is extremely counterproductive to having a conversation when we know you’re rolling your eyes and sighing the whole time.

There’s a reason for what you observe, but it’s not the one you think it is;

“antisemetism is the Marxism of fools” or however that goes, is what you’re seeing. There is an obvious problem that anybody not blinkered by partisanship can see: huge concentrations of wealth and power. These absolutely need to be torn apart. Disney is too big. It’s got an overwhelming presence in our culture and legal structures, and should not exist in its current form.

Marxists: it’s too big because it can unjustly affect legal structures and resist regulatory oversight.

Dumbasses: it’s too big because the Jews all want to make your kids gay.

You: ??? These are the same???

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Xombie posted:

You forgot the part where the "special carveout" is building infrastructure and doing away with it doesn't actually meaningfully help people.

Once again, the GOP is not accidentally doing something that will meaningfully hurt Disney's bottom line, or help workers at Disney or anywhere else in any sense at all. You can't seem to name any what it does in actual reality. Instead it's just pithy one-liners.

I don't care that they're not abusing their special carveout.

They shouldn't have the carveout, and I don't give a gently caress who takes it away from them or why.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

its fine to dislike company towns in principle, but when dissolving the company town means a billion-with-a-b transfer of debt from the company to the public, i don't think the company is the one getting owned here

Yeah I mean that's fine, arguing that he's going about it in the worst way possible and that potentially the status quo is better (I'm skeptical but maybe idk, I'd have to see the full argument) is different from accusing people of loving reactionary anti-gay politics is my point

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is an annoying reframing.

The reason this is bad is only because of the collateral damage that it creates to residents of Florida. It's funny when one bad actor fucks over a different bad actor, these meandering principles don't enter into it because we know DeSantis is trash and we know Disney is trash. It's not an acceptance of right-wing propaganda, it's not giving a gently caress about the differences between the various flavors of fascist that dominate politics. Don't obsess over liberal values in lieu of material action.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

selec posted:

People who disagree with you aren’t gullible or stupid by nature and this is extremely counterproductive to having a conversation when we know you’re rolling your eyes and sighing the whole time.

There’s a reason for what you observe, but it’s not the one you think it is;

“antisemetism is the Marxism of fools” or however that goes, is what you’re seeing. There is an obvious problem that anybody not blinkered by partisanship can see: huge concentrations of wealth and power. These absolutely need to be torn apart. Disney is too big. It’s got an overwhelming presence in our culture and legal structures, and should not exist in its current form.

Marxists: it’s too big because it can unjustly affect legal structures and resist regulatory oversight.

Dumbasses: it’s too big because the Jews all want to make your kids gay.

You: ??? These are the same???

if you find yourself standing side by side with a bunch of people shouting about Jews and how they want to make your kids gay, maybe you should re-evaluate the real-world consequences of your actions no matter the "nuance" you are trying to portray.

also, I love the tone policing that happens when someone that isn't a loud and proud communist posts about what they perceive online leftists to be doing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 22, 2022

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Lib and let die posted:

I don't care that they're not abusing their special carveout.

They shouldn't have the carveout, and I don't give a gently caress who takes it away from them or why.

You not "giving a gently caress" does not matter. This action will have a downstream effect of stopping companies from even remotely being allies to progressive causes or pro-worker policies even for the sake of PR simply because now the GOP will retaliate against them with legislation. That is the topic here. Whether or not you, some poster, "give a gently caress" is not the topic of discussion. The idea that you "don't give a gently caress" that the carveout itself does not have any negative effect, can't be used for negative effect, and isn't even being sought by other companies isn't actually an argument against those facts.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

potentially the status quo is better (I'm skeptical but maybe idk, I'd have to see the full argument)

RCID exists as a sub-county layer of government, where the local governments turned over some of their responsibilities to a public agency operated by disney. RCID's entire budget is a matter of public record, RCID has to have publicly elected officials (disney stooges, but still) and operate pretty much like a county government would. effectively, the state just broke off a piece of orange and osceola counties and gave it to disney to govern, which sounds sinister except that the piece is pretty much just roads and bridges and ditches and other very boring, practical things

there's no real downside except for the existence of corporations doing things, and whether or not this personally drives you to fury. otherwise everything RCID does operates exactly like the county government, RCID is functionally a public entity which does public entity things for the benefit of a private company on the grounds of their massive resort complex. RCID allows disney to control much of their own taxation (disney still has to pay for things like schools and emergency response) while also handling their own buildings, watershed, and transportation needs. disney actually taxes themselves more than what the local government is capable of taxing, because you can tax yourself a whole lot if you don't have voters complaining about high tax rates. its entirely a weird historical quirk that RCID exists and they wouldn't ever get this carve out today but just having it is really useful, so disney has played it very open and honestly for the benefit of being able to manage parks infrastructure with their own pocket public government

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Here's local reporting on the actual impact it would have on the communities there and why every single person from local government, labor unions, businesses, Republicans, and Democrats from the local counties are opposed to it:

quote:

End of Reedy Creek: Disney won’t pay more taxes, but you will

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — One of the biggest myths circulating on the internet is that the end of Reedy Creek will finally force Disney to pay its fair share of taxes, boosting the economies of Florida and the counties its resorts are located in.

Let’s dispel that rumor right now: not only is it wrong, it’s the opposite that will take effect.

This much is true: the Reedy Creek Improvement District is an extension of Disney that shields the company from oversight others have. The theme park operator taxes itself and gives itself permission to build whatever, wherever so long as it follows building codes and other state and federal laws.

What Reedy Creek isn’t is a replacement for the counties it exists in. Disney still pays the same property taxes levied by the government and the school district that every other landowner pays. Orange County, for example, collected $40 million from the House of Mouse in 2021, Tax Collector Scott Randolph (D) said.

So, how does Reedy Creek operate its own fire and sewer departments? The special tax district status allows Disney to levy an additional tax on itself to pay for those services. The tax, amounting to $105 million per year, is illegal anywhere else in the county, along with the additional $58 million per year the company taxes itself to pay off Reedy Creek’s bond debt.

When the district is dismantled on June 1, 2023, Orange County will begin paying for those services and paying off the debt, without that special status in place.

“The moment that Reedy Creek doesn’t exist is the moment that that those taxes don’t exist,” Randolph said. “Orange County can’t just slap a new taxing district onto that area and recoup the money that was lost.”

Effectively, Disney’s loss of control also hands it a $163 million per year tax break.
If the entire state of Florida was responsible for covering the hole, each taxpayer would have to cough up roughly $7.50.

However, this burden will not be shared equally. Despite zero debate or public comment, and the near-total opposition of Central Florida’s delegation to this maneuver, Orange and Osceola County taxpayers will shoulder the hit alone, leaving both counties staring at financial ruin.

Salvaging the budgets won’t be pretty. State law prevents the counties from raising sales taxes or impact fees to cover the costs. They also must tax all areas of the county equally, meaning whatever they enact must apply to everyone.

That leaves one avenue: property taxes, of which Orange County collects approximately $600 million per year right now.

“I don’t see how Orange County doesn’t raise property taxes by 20% to 25%,” Randolph said. “That’s what [the county] would probably have to do to cover this financial situation.”

Normally, such a move would be a political poison pill in an election year and go against the typical Republican promise to never raise taxes.

Most people expect the legislature to backtrack on their plans in January, paring down some of Disney’s unnecessary powers while maintaining Reedy Creek’s taxing abilities, which would solve legitimately held complaints about the district’s broad abilities while preventing the worst effects of this past week.

However, Randolph said some damage was already done. For one, county and Disney staff will spend the next nine months or more meeting to discuss how to dissolve the district and transfer responsibility to the counties.

The second effect: making businesses think twice about moving jobs to Florida, knowing the state could change the rules overnight if an executive has a different opinion than a politician.

“They’re dissolving something the size of the city of Orlando in 72 hours,” Randolph said. “This is not the way to run a state."

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/end-reedy-creek-disney-wont-pay-more-taxes-you-will/3TK6ASNJT5EXHICW3DQ3ZHEZYA/

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

It is actually the best reason to vote for Democrats, though. :shrug:

I suppose if you gussied it up as "WE'RE NOT [pedophiles like] REPUBLICANS" then they would be demonstrating the savvy and strategic brilliance of the Chad Republicans, the unstoppable political party that wins nearly half of elections.

It bombed as a strategy for McAuliffe so I guess we'll have to wait and see how well it plays out this November, but it's not looking good.

Maybe Biden is correct & the Senate will pick up two more Dems, thus ensuring the irrelevance of SineManchin & allowing Dems to pass the terrific things on which they campaigned & for which they were elected, like an increased minimum wage & Medicare eligibility at age 60.

Maybe Coons & Carper will do a thumbs-up duet the next time minimum wage is brought up for a vote once SineManchin have lost their power to strangle the Senate. :allears:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

if you find yourself standing side by side with a bunch of people shouting about Jews and how they want to make your kids gay, maybe you should re-evaluate the real-world consequences of your actions no matter the "nuance" you are trying to portray.

also, I love the tone policing that happens when someone that isn't a loud and proud communist posts about what they perceive online leftists to be doing.

Horse shoe theory still isn't real. Also it's the same tone policing that comes out when people make vague statements about all the libs. Argue with the real person in this thread who you disagree with, Lib and Let Die, instead of making wild dumb generalizations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Here's local reporting on the actual impact it would have on the communities there and why every single person from local government, labor unions, businesses, Republicans, and Democrats from the local counties are opposed to it:

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/end-reedy-creek-disney-wont-pay-more-taxes-you-will/3TK6ASNJT5EXHICW3DQ3ZHEZYA/

It seems like the problem here is state laws (undoubtedly lobbied for by entities like Disney) that restrict local citizens' and their representative governments' ability to tax corporations and the wealthy appropriately, and the solution isn't to just put a corporate board that nobody voted for in charge of cities directly

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

e: nvm

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

It seems like the problem here is state laws (undoubtedly lobbied for by entities like Disney) that restrict local citizens' and their representatives governments' ability to tax corporations and the wealthy appropriately, and the solution isn't to just put a corporate board that nobody voted for in charge of cities directly

Yeah, at the end of the day it feels like it's just two separate issues. Disney is too big and has too many special privileges because our government is built around protecting corporations. We need to do something about that. But also at the same time DeSantis wants to punish them for being disloyal. The sad part about all of this is that we don't have anyone in power who thinks that Disney is too big and special, just people who want to punish them or not punish them over the culture war.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

It seems like the problem here is state laws (undoubtedly lobbied for by entities like Disney) that restrict local citizens' and their representatives governments' ability to tax corporations and the wealthy appropriately, and the solution isn't to just put a corporate board that nobody voted for in charge of cities directly

what? no

corporations are not out there lobbying for fairly pedestrian changes to local taxation regulations to beat the system somehow. this is small potatoes stuff

the reason that line exists is to explain to people who think "well, why doesn't orange county just do a special tax on disney to pay for things?" because it legally can't, a county entity cannot single out specific parcels, uses, or organizations for special taxation rates. this is a great way for county officials to retaliate against people they don't like - "didn't vote for my proposal? gently caress you, your tax rate is now 50 mills, suck it"

i beg of you all, when trying to figure out how corporations are to blame here, at least ground your arguments in a realistic understanding of local government regulations and tax policy, how it works, and what is reasonable to expect from the powers typically reserved for county governments

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Raising property taxes to cover this seems like it'd tie back into yesterday's conversation about homeownership too. Going up 25% in order to cover this is insane. Thanks for posting this article, it helps put things in perspective and helps put into focus what nixing it (and supporting nixing it) in this particular instance really means for people.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Horse shoe theory still isn't real. Also it's the same tone policing that comes out when people make vague statements about all the libs. Argue with the real person in this thread who you disagree with, Lib and Let Die, instead of making wild dumb generalizations.

I'll work on it. thanks.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, at the end of the day it feels like it's just two separate issues. Disney is too big and has too many special privileges because our government is built around protecting corporations. We need to do something about that. But also at the same time DeSantis wants to punish them for being disloyal. The sad part about all of this is that we don't have anyone in power who thinks that Disney is too big and special, just people who want to punish them or not punish them over the culture war.

I agree that there are two issues here.

1. Flodia GOP targeting Disney for having the appearance of being friendly to LGBTQ issues and people.
2. Disney is a huge lovely corporation that should probably be broken up and taxed out of existence.

I can support 2, and not support 1. But supporting 1 does nothing to lead to 2.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

helps put into focus what nixing it (and supporting nixing it) in this particular instance really means for people.

I don't understand this line of reasoning, and you are far from the first to use it.

If posting is not praxis, then supporting or not supporting the action means nothing for people. LALD may be wrong, but not in a way that means LALD is harming someone.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Also the funniest/saddest part of all of this is how Disney never even cared. They were happy to say nothing about the bill until they got too much public heat for not saying anything. We have to stop DeSantis from taking Disney's special status because he wants to punish them because they felt forced into saying something and if Disney does lose special status it will primarily punish normal people instead of Disney. It's just an exhausting series of events that will punish the average person the most no matter the outcome.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Willa Rogers posted:

It bombed as a strategy for McAuliffe so I guess we'll have to wait and see how well it plays out this November, but it's not looking good.
It's not a great place to be arguing from - obviously Biden and most Democrats would like to be able to point to things like climate change mitigation, permanent CTCs, universal childcare, etc. But they don't get to. (Though I think it's still reasonable for Democrats to claim that those are policy goals that they would implement if they had more votes.)

Where I think McAuliffe went wrong was making his election claims not about Republicans but about Trump specifically. In a national election it's going to be harder for Republicans to sit in the corner and say "oh, I'm just a good-natured businessman who doesn't want white kids to hate themselves." And if pointing out that Republicans are trash and have no popular ideas limits the losses to 20 house seats and a break-even in the Senate, that's not a "victory," but it's still mitigating the damage, making it plausible to regroup in '24.

People hate Republicans.

Willa Rogers posted:

Maybe Biden is correct & the Senate will pick up two more Dems, thus ensuring the irrelevance of SineManchin & allowing Dems to pass the terrific things on which they campaigned & for which they were elected, like an increased minimum wage & Medicare eligibility at age 60.

Maybe Coons & Carper will do a thumbs-up duet the next time minimum wage is brought up for a vote once SineManchin have lost their power to strangle the Senate. :allears:
Even if they pick up two Senate seats, they'll probably lose the House, so it's moot. But minimum wage isn't happening either way, because there are enough Democratic Senators who won't pass it through reconciliation if the Parliamentarian doesn't approve it (during the ARP voting it was eight), so having 52 Senators would not change that.

The stuff that made it into the 1.75T version of BBB would have a good chance, though, if they had 52 Senators and by some amazing turn of events were able to keep the House.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Wait, what? I could have sworn I read it was in Florida. my bad. Well then they'll for sure capitulate. what are they going to do, move Disney world?
They moved their corporate offices to Lake Nona, which is a suburb of Orlando southeast of the city and east of the parks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

Raising property taxes to cover this seems like it'd tie back into yesterday's conversation about homeownership too. Going up 25% in order to cover this is insane.

remember that renters also pay property taxes - landlords get taxed, and pass the taxes along in the form of rent increases

raising everyone's rent by $2000 a year to own the corporations, somehow