Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

I actually saw a handoff just like that within the last couple months on it’s a small world and wondered what it was, I bet that was it. That makes a lot more sense than my deceitful panopticon theory.
I haven't gotten it in ages, but on the 2012 trip it felt like we were handed it on every ride. I had assumed that by 2014 the Magic Bands had taken over that duty because you could track every wearer through the ride easily, but given how many achievements didn't pop for us on rides and how many photos that just didn't get matched up for us on last month's trip I think that's probably not the case anymore.

skipdogg posted:

Park reservations and other capacity management tools are here to stay.
This is the bit that actually impacted on my enjoyment most. Travelling from the UK means we're not doing the 4-6 night stay, we're there for minimum 10 days, more likely the full two weeks (although this time we did three weeks, because Big Holiday), and having to plan every day of that period 60 days out is just a pain in the hole, especially when you're thinking about spending time in Universal or just shopping "because America".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

So it’s still not a done deal then? I don’t really know how this works.

It’s basically a pinky promise bill to start a year long process at looking at how these districts could be handled with no substance or chance of holding water if Disney chose to fight it in courts, because DeSantis specifically said he was targeting Disney as retribution while doing his PR stunts for it, to say nothing of the shaky legality of the bill itself.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Yeah my understanding is it's more of DeSantis doing blatantly illegal unconstitutional bullshit because the braindead feral MAGA hogs that comprise his base love it. He made Chapek flinch, and fascists like DeSantis will always use huge performative nothingburgers like this to distract from other things, like DeSantis's own pedophilic past and his banning of math books that encourage children to show acceptance and empathy.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hazo posted:

Yeah my understanding is it's more of DeSantis doing blatantly illegal unconstitutional bullshit because the braindead feral MAGA hogs that comprise his base love it.

I love you.

If anything it feels like DeSantis trying to give himself a "big win" against "the woke!!!!" for a 2024 presidential candidacy/vp with trump/what the gently caress ever is going on there. Something that ultimately does nothing but the conservafucks can point that DeSantis took out Disney!!!! for wokeness!!!!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

couldcareless posted:

I really don't want to cheer for Chapek being removed over this because it just signals to his replacement to keep their mouth shut about cultural issues entirely which is probably not the outcome from this that we want.

Variety or somebody was like "Could Bob Iger return to Disney to mollify the right?" and aside from the fact that Iger has flat out said he never will, the only other comment he's made on this matter is he would have taken the company into this battle faster and more aggressively than Chapek did.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hazo posted:

He made Chapek flinch, and fascists like DeSantis will always use huge performative nothingburgers like this to distract from other things, like DeSantis's own pedophilic past and his banning of math books that encourage children to show acceptance and empathy.

Oh look, right on cue

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1517197240082829313

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1517189715258224643

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I haven’t bought a disney tshirt in a long time but is there a “build the tree table” tshirt? thinkin about epcot and drat it sucks that we didn’t get the tree table

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)

Craptacular! posted:

I just honestly want to say that to be careful because I found that getting obsessed with Disney fan media is a quick way to not enjoy the product anymore. Disneyland is a low-wage service job for lots and lots of people, and while the company runs the cone of silence around itself that it always did, workers are quick to talk about all sorts of backstage drama that's initially exciting for anyone who wants to learn more about the place, but quickly hollows the place into a series of managerial decisions and who-approved-what bullshit. Eat enough of it, and the false fronts stop feeling like magical escapism and more like false fronts, if you get my drift.

This post actually shifted my view a lot. I watched a few youtube videos last night but it doesn't seem as fun now. Basically as a newcomer I was really excited to learn about major future construction projects, ride openings and closings; generally all things to look forward to. But now I've already heard everything there is to hear on that front and have been moving closer to the abyss - drama, complaining, minutiae, and pure speculation from random people. So even tho I'm not furiously complaining about it on the MouseChat forums 24/7 I'm still breaking the "disney magic" illusion for no reason.

Craptacular! posted:

However, Disneyland and Disney World are a bit different in that Disneyland is basically it's own brand at this point and loving with a lot of anything over 40 years old in the park is loving with the brand. Disney World is a younger re-do of Land where nobody can say that Walt stood on this corner, so it's a lot more malleable and often bends to reflect whatever corporate will impose upon it. At Disneyland you'd get at least a little flack about Walt and tradition [...]

One illusion that could never be shattered for me is Walt Disney's god status, as I've never understood that whole thing. I appreciate tradition but some people have a parasocial relationship with him from beyond the grave. For every change that gets announced there'll be goobers wailing about preserving Walt's beautiful vision of a perfect world (successfully realized in theme park form). He was definitely a creative guy and savvy executive but the way people talk you'd think the ideas he cooked up in the 50s are immutable commandments from the heavens. They could leave a lot of his personal touches around the park but for example throw autopia in the trash, it sucks, who cares if it was there in '55. Put a plaque up and call it a day and the cult of Walt can deal.

skipdogg posted:

I would just take whatever with a grain of salt. If you're having fun, that's really all that matters. The good old days of low crowds is never coming back. Prices are never going to go down. Park reservations and other capacity management tools are here to stay. Things are always changing. You're vacation and leisure time needs will change as well over the years.

This seems like the true enlightened Disneyland mindset.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

This post actually shifted my view a lot. I watched a few youtube videos last night but it doesn't seem as fun now. Basically as a newcomer I was really excited to learn about major future construction projects, ride openings and closings; generally all things to look forward to. But now I've already heard everything there is to hear on that front and have been moving closer to the abyss - drama, complaining, minutiae, and pure speculation from random people. So even tho I'm not furiously complaining about it on the MouseChat forums 24/7 I'm still breaking the "disney magic" illusion for no reason.
Digging around a bit you'll find the ones that interest you most pretty easily I think. For example, even though they mostly focus on food, for obvious reasons, Disney Food Blog's videos are pretty safe for just finding out what's coming next month. You can probably just skip through them describing every variation of cookie that just went on sale for the Walt's First Tax Return 100th Aniversary Magical Celebration, but when it comes to ride openings, maintainance and the like they're really good at just dropping the facts and not getting huffy about any of it. On the other end of things, WDW News Today are almost memetic in how much they talk about the sky falling. Like anything though, you'll sooner or later notice that most Disney fan content is just the same key phrases recycled over and over like some game of theme park madlibs. There's only so many things to talk about and sooner or later you find yourself wondering if the 2022 video ranking all the rides in Magic Kingdom is really that different to the 2021 video ranking all the rides in Magic Kingdom.

You'll probably get a lot of mileage out of Defunctland's videos about stuff that's not around anymore as a new fan, just because it's cool to see what you missed and what might maybe come back someday.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I really appreciate that Disney Food Blog signposts all their TOP TEN NEW FOOD ITEMS AT FOOD AND WINE videos so well because I can mash the right key on my keyboard and skip between the items I don't care about while not frantically trying to figure out if she's moved on to the next item.

Inside The Magic is literally just reposts of reddit posts that got seven upvotes which is a hilarious model for content generation.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
WDWNT is like an example of how not to do fandom. It’s like 2000s-era MiceChat/MousePlanet Al Lutz Column insanity that almost ruined Disneyland for me. A couple years ago when they changed their 404 page to a giant image of Chapek was when I realized that it was time to go, because it was about to feel like Disneyland blogs in the time of Cynthia Harris and I didn’t want to see that.

Generally speaking, that sort of thing always comes from locals who are there all the time to film the latest erosion of quality or standards, since those of us who go every five years or so are often too Vacation Mode to let the loss of free bread at a restaurant kill our good vibes.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Just get your news from this thread

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Jose Valasquez posted:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Wdwnt is a mixture of "the emporium moved the mickey ears from this side of the store to the other" articles and "Rumor: this awful unrealistic thing is happening". They almost feel like the fox News of WDW. Their asian Disney parks contributors seem to be a little more positive and just out there enjoying themselves at least.

Honestly I prefer to just scoop their sources out if it's available and use that for reference for actually credible/worth a drat news posts so they don't get the extra traffic.

This discussion is just making me realize how much I miss Josh.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jose Valasquez posted:

This + cast member Facebook groups my wife is in is way more informative than any blogs or socials. And Jenny for entertainment.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
WDWMagic is a good source of verified news without diving too much into the minor nitpicks and changes and negativity.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

disney visit question: would I be allowed in with "emperor Palpatine fucks" on a shirt because with the recent rise in overlooking stuff on shirts-

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

disney visit question: would I be allowed in with "emperor Palpatine fucks" on a shirt because with the recent rise in overlooking stuff on shirts-

There's only one way to find out.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just put a mickey head in place of the U in fucks

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Place a picture of Robin Hood instead of the last word.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

One illusion that could never be shattered for me is Walt Disney's god status, as I've never understood that whole thing. I appreciate tradition but some people have a parasocial relationship with him from beyond the grave. For every change that gets announced there'll be goobers wailing about preserving Walt's beautiful vision of a perfect world (successfully realized in theme park form). He was definitely a creative guy and savvy executive but the way people talk you'd think the ideas he cooked up in the 50s are immutable commandments from the heavens. They could leave a lot of his personal touches around the park but for example throw autopia in the trash, it sucks, who cares if it was there in '55. Put a plaque up and call it a day and the cult of Walt can deal.

Have you heard about Walt’s polo injury?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

One illusion that could never be shattered for me is Walt Disney's god status, as I've never understood that whole thing. I appreciate tradition but some people have a parasocial relationship with him from beyond the grave. For every change that gets announced there'll be goobers wailing about preserving Walt's beautiful vision of a perfect world (successfully realized in theme park form). He was definitely a creative guy and savvy executive but the way people talk you'd think the ideas he cooked up in the 50s are immutable commandments from the heavens.

Posted this in the Trumplol thread because it made me laugh

https://twitter.com/ASHARKWITHFEET/status/1509961500181549061?s=20&t=onCM0V055e7vS2aZdxf47A

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Defunctland has some solid stuff and... a lot of ... not solid stuff.

The true goat of Disney videos is Jenny Nicholson but they are few and far between.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

Defunctland has some solid stuff and... a lot of ... not solid stuff.

What's the not solid stuff?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Defunctland’s magnum opus is that Fastpass video but I think most of their videos are good. Unlike some similar channels they do go on some weird tangents though.

Yesterworld Entertainment and Midway to Main Street are two others I would highly recommend.

Honorable mentions: Offhand Disney, Theme Park History, Expedition Theme Park.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
What’s a good YouTube channel for Disneyland specifically? Most stuff I find is Disney World.

Preferably without people’s faces all over the video. AJ got it right staying completely anonymous in her videos.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Even defunctland's stuff that isn't directly Disney is really well done and researched. The way he presents his information is also quite engaging. I regularly find myself entranced by the Defunctland TV episodes even though my exposure to these shows of the past are minimal to none.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

As long as it includes Palpatine grabbing his crotch while saying, "You want this... don't you...?"

couldcareless posted:

Even defunctland's stuff that isn't directly Disney is really well done and researched. The way he presents his information is also quite engaging. I regularly find myself entranced by the Defunctland TV episodes even though my exposure to these shows of the past are minimal to none.

Agreed. Virtually everything from Defunct TV is from outside my time except Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, but they all do a great job sucking me in. Probably my favorite being the Adventures in Wonderland episode, with its insane tangent of the unaired OJ Simpson episode that somehow got its own book adaptation.

The series on Jim Henson's career is fantastic too.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Jose Valasquez posted:

It's also because, as I understand it, the time is (approximately) calculated based on how long the people currently riding the ride waited and not how long someone getting in line now will necessarily wait. Near closing time the line volumes are changing rapidly so the system probably just can't keep up.

I don't know if it is still the case but they used to just give random people a thing to hold onto when they got into line that they would then hand over to the cast member before they got on the ride, and however long it took for that person to get through the queue was what they based the wait times on

The red cards are still in use at Disneyland but it's all MagicBand-based now in WDW. The process is all the same, just a different data point, and more of them. Most of the bigger rides are monitored proactively, so that's just used to measure wait times but they're constantly being updated based on the current line lengths.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I swear I was randomly given a red card in WDW this past trip and for something as bizarre as the LL line for Spaceship Earth. I was very confused

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Flying down to Orlando today - comboing UOR WDW this next week - haven’t flown since Nov, this is a new vibe in the airport.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Anya posted:

Flying down to Orlando today - comboing UOR WDW this next week - haven’t flown since Nov, this is a new vibe in the airport.

Oh shoot, I'm flying in tomorrow.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
WHATTTTT I’ll message you

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

lol sounds like Florida chuds are catching on to how stupid and harmful desantis's little punitive hissy fit would/will actually be

Captain Tightpants
Dec 26, 2006

This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then - explode.
I've been planning our WDW for about 9 months now and we're finally heading there Tuesday. I've been really nervous with the crowds and Genie+, and don't have anyone to talk to about it. Will Genie+/ILL be ultimately worth it for six people? I figured I would get it for MK and HS one day each, and buy ILL for each available ride in all four parks. I've been watching a lot of videos from DFB and All Ears, and those are definitely helpful, but haven't fully quashed my fears. If someone wants to help a gal out with current advice or tips, it would be greatly appreciated

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Tightpants posted:

I've been planning our WDW for about 9 months now and we're finally heading there Tuesday. I've been really nervous with the crowds and Genie+, and don't have anyone to talk to about it. Will Genie+/ILL be ultimately worth it for six people? I figured I would get it for MK and HS one day each, and buy ILL for each available ride in all four parks. I've been watching a lot of videos from DFB and All Ears, and those are definitely helpful, but haven't fully quashed my fears. If someone wants to help a gal out with current advice or tips, it would be greatly appreciated

It's definitely worth it for Magic Kingdom, assuming you will spend all or most of your day there.

For every other park, ymmv, if you want real use out of it you're going to want to be up at 7:00 AM exactly to start booking things.

Captain Tightpants
Dec 26, 2006

This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then - explode.

It's definitely worth it for Magic Kingdom, assuming you will spend all or most of your day there.

For every other park, ymmv, if you want real use out of it you're going to want to be up at 7:00 AM exactly to start booking things.

That's definitely the plan. We're staying on site, so we should be doing early entry as well. I've been watching a lot of DFB and All Ears videos, and it seems like Genie+ isn't super necessary for AK and Epcot, so I'm leaning towards just the other two for one day each.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

That's definitely the plan. We're staying on site, so we should be doing early entry as well. I've been watching a lot of DFB and All Ears videos, and it seems like Genie+ isn't super necessary for AK and Epcot, so I'm leaning towards just the other two for one day each.

I agree with that. Pretty necessary for MK and HS, optional for the other two.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

This is also our plan for our trip in June. We’re fortunate to have the extra evening hours available as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Defunctland’s magnum opus is that Fastpass video but I think most of their videos are good. Unlike some similar channels they do go on some weird tangents though.

The fastpass video is good but IMO the episodes in the third season about Walt’s inspirations leading up to the E.P.C.O.T. plans are his best work. It’s a very fair assessment of something that often gets blown out of proportion to either prove that Walt was a genius or a maniac. Also doesn’t mince words that it likely would not have worked because it would have required a level of state control that would make China seem quaint