Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

SpartanIvy posted:

Man I really liked the Travis Halo novel trilogy. I don't recall anything particularly awful about them vs other Halo novels at least.

She’s a very good writer, IMHO. Whenever I read her Star Wars and Halo books I never felt like I was reading a C+ effort that most writers put into these licensed property paper backs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah, traviss's main issue isn't her writing quality. It's her combative attitude online with her critics and her bizarre politics.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Why was the artifact just sitting on the ground. Didn't the other two spartans go warthog it away? Or did I miss something during the battle

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Their warthog was blown up by a Banshee and they drove off a cliff, which is why John is alone with the artifact (after he suicide bombs a phantom drop ship with his own semi-hijacked banshee) as the Brute comes down to grab it.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 23, 2022

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ah, ok I guess I did miss that lol

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

drunkill posted:

Their warthog was blown up by a Banshee and they drove off a cliff, which is why John is alone with the artifact (after he suicide bombs a phantom drop ship with his own semi-hijacked banshee) as the Brute comes down to grab it.

I'm just hoping they don't try to blame John for that, like there's anything at all he could've done to affect it instead of leaving to save Kai.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Phenotype posted:

kinda wish they didn't use the female spartan to be the one who couldnt handle their emotions after taking out their biscuit but whatever

"Chief! Stop!" - female spartan

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Tom Guycot posted:

every part of that felt like a level out of the video game, lol.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
"Switch to secondary!"

"I know how the game is played, Cortana."

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Arc Hammer posted:

The grunt hijacking a warthog was pretty funny.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Tom Guycot posted:

That was great finally seeing some covenant besides just elites.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I should really shut up about the music, but, come on, even with my terrible and out of sync editing skills, tell me this doesn't make the battle sequence better:

https://vimeo.com/702303068

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Fantastic. Maybe it's the nostalgia talking but that music is perfect. Did you put bits and pieces together? Or is it just the volume being adjusted? Some of those stings are nicely placed.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hopefully the law suit being over allows for some last minute score changes.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

huh posted:

Fantastic. Maybe it's the nostalgia talking but that music is perfect. Did you put bits and pieces together? Or is it just the volume being adjusted? Some of those stings are nicely placed.

That much editing is far beyond my ability, I literally just drag and dropped the halo 3 OST track over the video and adjusted the volume. Anything that lines up well is a happy accident, and I'd love to see a re-edit by someone that knows what they're doing.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Heh I was thinking throughout that entire scene that it would have been an awesome time to introduce the Halo drums. Your edit confirms it.

Hopefully now the rights issues are sorted they save it for a great moment like that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

huh posted:

"Switch to secondary!"

I loved the show turning to the camera and going 'fine we did a couple of episodes of character development, now have your dumb video game combat sequence'

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I finally got to see Covenant Grunts and for that, I'll give the show two Energy Swords up.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tom Guycot posted:

That much editing is far beyond my ability, I literally just drag and dropped the halo 3 OST track over the video and adjusted the volume. Anything that lines up well is a happy accident, and I'd love to see a re-edit by someone that knows what they're doing.

The whole thing seems to line up perfectly. I may be giving this show too much credit but I wonder if they edited this scene for that specific theme for edits in the future. It was too good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a minor thing but I appreciate that the aliens that carry shields finally were allowed to also carry swords lol

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a minor thing but I appreciate that the aliens that carry shields finally were allowed to also carry swords lol

Naturally there are also already dumb nerds mad about that, because "energy swords are for elites only!"

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

RBA Starblade posted:

MINOR thing??? You think laughing in the face of hundreds of years of Sangheili honor for a few minutes of entertaining television is a minor thing? Yeah I'm sure just handing out holy swords to hordes of Kig-Yar is no big deal to a casual fan, but it goes against the very fabric of the Halo Universe and I for one can no longer give my support to this abomination of a TV show.
:goonsay:

e: fb

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lmao

Anyway, show good, feels like it hit its stride now, but Madrigal still feels like an anchor around it, and Captain Keyes sort of just feels like he's there just to be there (until season 2 I presume). If he's a ship captain where is it? Was it the Pioneer?

I feel like the Madrigal bits would be more interesting if Soren was actually pirating the UNSC or something as a subplot instead, and his crew is rebels and some stray aliens why not. I'm sure some would enjoy looting! He's on Madrigal because it just got hit and there's no one defending it and Burn Gorman's looting it also so they clash about that. Have that subplot be about civilization's crumbling inward as the Covenant advance and then he has a change of heart or whatever. Instead Kwan's going to drink the water of life and the sleeper will awaken.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah if Soren was running a ragtag group of misfits and outcasts, including some exiled covies, and Kwan was getting introduced to those characters and slowly integrating into a new family unit, I'd be eating that stuff up. As is it's the part of the show where I mostly just sit and wonder "where the gently caress are they going with this and why am I supposed to care?"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah if Soren was running a ragtag group of misfits and outcasts, including some exiled covies, and Kwan was getting introduced to those characters and slowly integrating into a new family unit, I'd be eating that stuff up. As is it's the part of the show where I mostly just sit and wonder "where the gently caress are they going with this and why am I supposed to care?"

I can still only assume that they're going to somehow end with "And Kwan overthrew Burn Gorman and the UNSC and Madrigal is free! Also the Covenant glassed it." with the point being that it doesn't matter in the face of extinction but 1. that's really dumb and 2. that's a really huge waste of time

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RBA Starblade posted:

I can still only assume that they're going to somehow end with "And Kwan overthrew Burn Gorman and the UNSC and Madrigal is free! Also the Covenant glassed it." with the point being that it doesn't matter in the face of extinction but 1. that's really dumb and 2. that's a really huge waste of time

It does seem like a huge waste of time, and despite generally liking the show, I'm not sure there's any sort of payoff that will change my mind on that. I do hope Kwan and Soren get a big wake up call regarding humanity having bigger things to worry about, because I really do not give a poo poo about backwater politics of some mining colony while the Covenant War is happening in the other plotline.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm very glad that even if the rest of the show shits the bed, we got one really great action scene in this episode that can be clipped out.

The frustrating thing about the Madrigal storyline this episode is that essentially nothing happened. They came out to the desert on a vehicle, it broke, he got a new one, he got knocked out. Basically about 1 minute of plot. If they actually wanted to flesh out that B-plot, we would have seen him infiltrate some camp to get the buggy and learn some important new info critical to their mission or something.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

I'm very glad that even if the rest of the show shits the bed, we got one really great action scene in this episode that can be clipped out.

The frustrating thing about the Madrigal storyline this episode is that essentially nothing happened. They came out to the desert on a vehicle, it broke, he got a new one, he got knocked out. Basically about 1 minute of plot. If they actually wanted to flesh out that B-plot, we would have seen him infiltrate some camp to get the buggy and learn some important new info critical to their mission or something.

Yeah it's clear they need to arrive at these mysterious priests in the desert (where there will be some sort of info dump) but can't do it until the A plot is ready for it to be very important to get this information to John right away.

e: otherwise I think Madrigal has actually been reasonable (if disconected from everything else). Of course this dumb child with aspirations of restarting their father's rebellion gets home to learn a) everyone is dead and b) your dad spent all the money, you have nothing.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Even though I really dislike the Madrigal plot line, the actor playing Kwan is doing a fantastic job. While the scene with her slamming rocks against the chain was ultimately pretty boring, she did a great job with the emotion behind it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

huh posted:

"Switch to secondary!"

I liked that in true Halo: CE fashion the pistol is the primary weapon and the assault rifle is secondary.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

MINOR thing??? You think laughing in the face of hundreds of years of Sangheili honor for a few minutes of entertaining television is a minor thing? Yeah I'm sure just handing out holy swords to hordes of Kig-Yar is no big deal to a casual fan, but it goes against the very fabric of the Halo Universe and I for one can no longer give my support to this abomination of a TV show.
:goonsay:

e: fb

Holy poo poo, I hope and pray this was an actual c+p because I didn't even know the swords were that important and I've been playing Halo games for years.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Giving the alien factions alien names and not just referring to them solely by their human monikers (Elites, Grunts etc) was one of the earlier missteps of the franchise imo

I liked when Chief whipped his pistol at the Grunt, I wish we could do that in the game

Someone talented needs to edit a lore accurate ending to that battle where he angrily corpse humps the Elite to death

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tighclops posted:

Giving the alien factions alien names and not just referring to them solely by their human monikers (Elites, Grunts etc) was one of the earlier missteps of the franchise imo

I liked when Chief whipped his pistol at the Grunt, I wish we could do that in the game

Someone talented needs to edit a lore accurate ending to that battle where he angrily corpse humps the Elite to death

Download the cursed halo mod for pistol throwing fun.

DM HaloFollower to ask him to make a t bagging edit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

When the Chief said,"Cortana, get me a weapon!" I was praying, PRAYING, that she would respond,"....how?"

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
gonna be really awkward when mr. chief finds out halsey engineered the plague that killed his parents cuz she needed some child soldiers for science.

maybe cortana will let him land a punch and they'll become friends. that'd be nice.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Jerusalem posted:

When the Chief said,"Cortana, get me a weapon!" I was praying, PRAYING, that she would respond,"....how?"

I do like Marines know to automatically give Chief a gun should he not have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

rip to that one marine that got needled.

Just saw the episode. It was good to see some combat and minimal Madrigal stuff. It was bad to see their continuing path of Halsey kidnapping kids backfiring. Feels like they don't know what to do with Miranda. The whole ok you're in actually you're out caught in the middle of war crimes and family drama feels like it's going absolutely nowhere. Keyes being in on the kidnapping is I guess an interesting angle to play but to what end? Kai freaking out felt dumb to have her play out as "weak" and overwhelmed while Chief is going Rambo on poo poo. Covenant lady pulling the same trick AGAIN, feels incredibly stupid, but I guess they never recovered the freighter the covenant previously attacked or it never sent out last second messaging of what was happening in terms of them rescuing someone? She's going for either John, the second artifact, or both but I just feel we're going to get like 3 episodes of no combat now then save whatever budget is left for the season finale.

Nice to see Craig make his big screen debut, at least.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 24, 2022