Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

petit choux posted:

Do you think you're ready to work out to this program 6 days a week? Are you ready for some results?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSIXgqsSW6g

I hate remasters :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

That is cool as poo poo. That’s something worth preserving on Internet Archive if you’ve got the time and effort

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

pwn posted:

I thought it was an LP since it was from the 40s, but apparently it is from 1923? :wtc:

Of course just because there's an entry on Discogs doesn't mean that's what this is, only petit choux can answer this (and sell one to me)

There is a 2nd discogs release that is the 1941 set the the OP found. Whoever entered it took photos of a bunch of the included pamphlets so it should be easy to figure out what your set is missing.

https://www.discogs.com/release/15482116-Wallace-Keep-Fit-To-Music

It's a bit trippy to think about but Vinyl definitely has a cyclical nature. As mentioned by Wallace 78s were popular in the teens and 20s until radio and the depression kicked in.

78s usually only had 1 song per side and multiple discs were bound together into an "album"

Once LPs came out you could fit an entire Album on a single record and a bunch of classic "albums" were reissued on 33 1/3rd LPs in the 40s and 50s.

Even obscure stuff like the Florence Foster Jenkins album I lucked into at a barn sale last summer was actually a repress EP of her earlier 78 records.

I predict the next vinyl crash will occur when neural implants allow everyone to wander around hearing music inside their head. Then 10 or 15 years down the line traditional Media/Amps/Speakers/headphones will come back into vogue because expense and inconvenience are always hip.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

my turn in the barrel posted:

There is a 2nd discogs release that is the 1941 set the the OP found. Whoever entered it took photos of a bunch of the included pamphlets so it should be easy to figure out what your set is missing.

https://www.discogs.com/release/15482116-Wallace-Keep-Fit-To-Music

It's a bit trippy to think about but Vinyl definitely has a cyclical nature. As mentioned by Wallace 78s were popular in the teens and 20s until radio and the depression kicked in.

78s usually only had 1 song per side and multiple discs were bound together into an "album"

Once LPs came out you could fit an entire Album on a single record and a bunch of classic "albums" were reissued on 33 1/3rd LPs in the 40s and 50s.

Even obscure stuff like the Florence Foster Jenkins album I lucked into at a barn sale last summer was actually a repress EP of her earlier 78 records.

I predict the next vinyl crash will occur when neural implants allow everyone to wander around hearing music inside their head. Then 10 or 15 years down the line traditional Media/Amps/Speakers/headphones will come back into vogue because expense and inconvenience are always hip.

:pwn: Oh wow that is all one album. I knew 78s had actual albums (hence, y'know, the term) but I thought that box was a factory shipping box for retailers, containing multiple copies, like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX9BRQaMXXs

But haha that is one big box for one title, would make thread patron saint Garth proud

Anyway apologies choux, but yes please get the audio ripped if possible. At least some of the print material is on Archive though more needs to be done.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

petit choux posted:

Okay, some possible answers. It says privately published by Wallace and copyrighted in 1941. So CPL593H, I've handled a lot of pretty fringe-y, privately published culty media over the years. They resort to the same resources as this guy so there's a good part of your similarity. Also, dig the large, hand-drawn first letters of paragraphs and stuff. It could almost pass for being from the 20s. At the bottom is two halves of a roughly 11x17 poster.

This is esoteric enough where the discogs entry could just be wrong. Also there is so much going on in those pages and none of it is good. :stare:

Vintage incels.

my turn in the barrel posted:

Sounds like a goddamn nightmare when you consider how many ads your mind will be crammed with.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

This is esoteric enough where the discogs entry could just be wrong. Also there is so much going on in those pages and none of it is good. :stare:

Vintage incels.

Could be. The self-published bit says a lot. I remember in like The Name of the Rose there was a character whose sole business was publishing self-published novelists.

I am very eager to hear his coaching during this, and to see what music is supposed to be accompanying, assuming there is any. I kinda love finding stuff like this.

Next, If the below record turns out to be hardcore thrash, I would be so tickled:

ED: Okay and BTW, as a collector of business type records, I've always found that most of them cut too many corners on production and usually are following some cheap formula in making the record and usually kind of half-rear end follow through. They always spend a lot of time preaching, praising and attesting to rock-solid ethical practices, while displaying really weak business proficiency, I guess is what I'm saying. And seeing business leaders go on and on about ethics in business on vinyl makes me want to brush up on my Shakespeare, for methinks the dame doth protest too much.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 22, 2022

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Anybody want?

Edit: It's gone! You're welcome :)

The Swamp Thing fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 22, 2022

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

HK5000 posted:

Anybody want?

I used this, thanks!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

petit choux posted:

Could be. The self-published bit says a lot. I remember in like The Name of the Rose there was a character whose sole business was publishing self-published novelists.

I am very eager to hear his coaching during this, and to see what music is supposed to be accompanying, assuming there is any. I kinda love finding stuff like this.

Next, If the below record turns out to be hardcore thrash, I would be so tickled:

ED: Okay and BTW, as a collector of business type records, I've always found that most of them cut too many corners on production and usually are following some cheap formula in making the record and usually kind of half-rear end follow through. They always spend a lot of time preaching, praising and attesting to rock-solid ethical practices, while displaying really weak business proficiency, I guess is what I'm saying. And seeing business leaders go on and on about ethics in business on vinyl makes me want to brush up on my Shakespeare, for methinks the dame doth protest too much.

What I'm hearing is that there's a market for audiophile grade business records.

I'm going to start that company. Your business lessons, pressed on the best vinyl, mastered only from analog tape to capture that warmth, and using a pure mono cutter since you don't need stereo.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

petit choux posted:

They are two very strong personalities if you aren't used to them, but you might enjoy this interview with Nardwuar and Jello Biafra of the Dead Kennedys. It is mostly about Jello's obsession with these kinds of industrial or business type records. They talk about the documentary they made about them where they find an original composer from the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYOTxgHW8L8

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cemetry Gator posted:

What I'm hearing is that there's a market for audiophile grade business records.

I'm going to start that company. Your business lessons, pressed on the best vinyl, mastered only from analog tape to capture that warmth, and using a pure mono cutter since you don't need stereo.

Using Marantz tape recorders like our Fathers before us

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I love Jello Biafra and Dead Kennedys are one of my all timers but I don't know if I could sit through an hour of him and Nadwuar.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Anyone going to RSD tomorrow? I work overnight but I may stop by the spot closest to me, mostly the Delvin Larmarr Organ Trio and the Rick Astley repress are my main two interests.

Though there's a record show here at the end of the month I've been saving my record $$$ for.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RSD is going to do the world's most elaborate Rick Roll when it turns out that every single release this year is actually the Rick Astley album.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

CPL593H posted:

I love Jello Biafra and Dead Kennedys are one of my all timers but I don't know if I could sit through an hour of him and Nadwuar.

Good news - that is only part 2 of 3.

It's mostly Jello talking. it's not a normal
Nardwuar in your face interview.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Maybe this time I can get the Foo Fighters album, my shop got two in apparently.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

looking forward to seeing what kinda new used stuff gets put out again this year. always something good in the pile.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I was actually skipping it this time around, I got records and other media junk to sell before I go buying more. Plus nothing interested me enough to be at the shop by 6am.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CPL593H posted:

RSD is going to do the world's most elaborate Rick Roll when it turns out that every single release this year is actually the Rick Astley album.

Nothing wrong with this. :colbert:

He's an absolute joy and I hope to see him as a guest judge (or at least guest host) on Canada's Drag Race some day. :allears:

Arcella posted:

Anyone going to RSD tomorrow? I work overnight but I may stop by the spot closest to me, mostly the Delvin Larmarr Organ Trio and the Rick Astley repress are my main two interests.

The Rick Astley repress is the thing I'm most interested in, but I already have a copy from the 80s so I'll probably just get the CD version directly from his site. :) Love that dude, and it's genuinely one of my Top Three favorite 80s pop albums.

For context, my other two are Break Out by the Pointer Sisters and Let the Music Play by Shannon. :dance:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CatBlack posted:

Got some weens

other disc is blue

bootleg cause real one is way too expensive

I have a The Pod shaped hole in my heart.

Thanks for the heads up on the Ween. Snagged a copy. Now I just need the country album and The Pod. Both so expensive now.

Also got Royal Trux - White Stuff for ten bux. Here is the code for it DdlnZ memphisvinyl.com/downloads

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i generally don't do rsd, but i might try and get out there tomorrow, just for the fun of it

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was hangin' out with a friend and his teenage sons when someone threw on Pure Guava and man it was delightful to watch those kids' eyes bug out of their skulls as they watched their dad sing every hideous lyric off of that album.

sporklift posted:

Also got Royal Trux - White Stuff for ten bux.
I demand Sweet Sixteen on vinyl. :argh:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If you guys like corporate records, check out the documentary Bathtubs over Broadway on Netflix. It's about a former David Letterman writer that's obsessed with finding "Industrial Musical" records. It's great.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

sporklift posted:

Thanks for the heads up on the Ween. Snagged a copy. Now I just need the country album and The Pod. Both so expensive now.

Also got Royal Trux - White Stuff for ten bux. Here is the code for it DdlnZ memphisvinyl.com/downloads

Somebody snagged the code, but that does sound like an interesting record. Oh well.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The Japanese yen is taking a big poo poo against the dollar right now putting the island nation into economic chaos. Jobs will be lost, livelihoods ruined.

Just a tragedy. Anyway, now's a great time to import those Nujabes records you've been wanting for the past 5 years!

With shipping included from Amazon, these come out to about $36 each. I don't think I've ever seen them for less than $45.

I also splurged at HMV...

The DJ Krush and Akiko are Japanese RSD exclusives while the Herbie Hancock is a South Korean-exclusive pressing that will probably hold up this order by a few days as it's currently out of stock.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Got to my record store 30 minutes before opening and I’m the only one here, lol. At least I won’t have to deal with flippers for this Foo Fighters release.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Foo Fighters are releasing another RSD thingy? Here's hoping it doesn't go sky high like the last one did in price. Anybody else get good RSD hauls today?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Foo released a 7” single today. It’s just two remixes, but it’s the only physical release for these two songs. My shop sold it for 9 bucks, and I saw it for $25 on eBay earlier today.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

IUG posted:

Foo released a 7” single today. It’s just two remixes, but it’s the only physical release for these two songs. My shop sold it for 9 bucks, and I saw it for $25 on eBay earlier today.

Booo Hisss. I don't particularly like the Foo Fighters, but scalping sucks. Glad I stayed home at any rate to weed out my collection of poo poo.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

IUG posted:

And yet scalping like that seems “reasonable” compared to the $20 Taylor Swift 7” selling for upwards of $200 on eBay.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I'm saving my money for a record fair a month from now so no RSD shopping for me. I did get this Tortoise remix reissue in the mail today. I think the only difference with the reissue is an additional Mike Watt track. It is great, Tortoise doesn't get enough respect/attention imo.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Ballz posted:

The Japanese yen is taking a big poo poo against the dollar right now putting the island nation into economic chaos. Jobs will be lost, livelihoods ruined.

Just a tragedy. Anyway, now's a great time to import those Nujabes records you've been wanting for the past 5 years!

With shipping included from Amazon, these come out to about $36 each. I don't think I've ever seen them for less than $45.

This feels like a good time for a bit of follow-up on my previous post about A Bit of Previous

pwn posted:

Belle and Sebastian finally announced their new album this morning, and it has multiple cover variants and configurations so I am going to unpack it as cleanly and concisely as possible.

(Huge snip)

CD cover. If you're keen on getting the compact disc, I suggest waiting for the Japanese release with the inevitable bonus tracks (quite likely the tracks from the single, which aren't even available digitally from Bandcamp.)

Here it is, indeed with the two aforementioned bonus tracks and alternate cover art. With shipping to the US, it comes out to just under $35 US. I am still considering maybe adding two copies to my order to sell elsewhere and offset the shipping cost. Note that, unlike every other country's Amazon site, you need to make an account especially for the Japan site (whereas your US login will work for, say, Amazon Germany.)

That said, if anyone should want a copy, let me know and we can work out a goon buy. Two US people could get a copy for about $30 each (including shipping from me to them,) and three people would pay $27 each, which is the max I can order for the same international shipping. I figure there's at least a week before the order ships for me to alter it. I seriously doubt anyone here cares at all let alone wants in but I figured I'd put it out there.

I considered putting it out there in the Belles fan community but idk dealing with total strangers might lead to knowing new people.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CaptainBeefart posted:

I'm saving my money for a record fair a month from now so no RSD shopping for me. I did get this Tortoise remix reissue in the mail today. I think the only difference with the reissue is an additional Mike Watt track. It is great, Tortoise doesn't get enough respect/attention imo.

Tortoise rules

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

This is the only Tortoise I have but would recommend

https://youtu.be/KFk2WPnU6tM

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I've finally decided to sell my Miami Connection record as part of my day's weed out. Nothing else is worth shilling online, and I'd rather this one go to a goon who'd appreciate it more than me.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Tortoise rules

Yeah! :hai:

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Toe Rag posted:

This is the only Tortoise I have but would recommend

https://youtu.be/KFk2WPnU6tM

Very nice, never heard this until now.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

CaptainBeefart posted:

I want to check this out, and agree with the poster above: Tortoise rules. I'm seeing them in October, though it conflicts with a King Gizzard show I was planning to see.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i got too much today, it's me, I'm the sucker

oh well

roxy music - s/t (2022 remaster)
jonathan richman - modern lovers 88
scott walker - boy child
leonard cohen - recent songs (used copy)
beck - morning phase
voivod - angel rat
v/a - i'm a mess: diy or die/art trash and neon (punk 45s in the uk 77-78)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

hexwren posted:

i got too much today, it's me, I'm the sucker

oh well

roxy music - s/t (2022 remaster)
jonathan richman - modern lovers 88
scott walker - boy child
leonard cohen - recent songs (used copy)
beck - morning phase
voivod - angel rat
v/a - i'm a mess: diy or die/art trash and neon (punk 45s in the uk 77-78)

Well then just keep on suckin', that's pretty great! I saw Jonathan Richman in about 94 just playing solo in a cafe in Detroit. He was fun.