Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it's a bagel because bagels are made of wheat (poison) and despair is like the wheat for the human soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
It’s a bagel because they often have cream cheese and East Asians have a higher rate of lactose intolerance. This is why it is killing everyone

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I meant a Bagel was a symbol of Westernized food because Chinese, Japanese, and many other Asian cultures view breads as a desert or a treat, they aren’t bread cultures, a giant wheat/gluten bomb like a bagel isn’t part of their culture the same way the lovingly/irritatedly tended rice cooker is. A bagel isn’t something Joy would have grown up loving if she were a Chinese born woman, but she’s American, so a good bagel can mean everything

Gaius Marius posted:

Having an interpretation based on Joy losing touch with their culture that's based on you stripping the Bagel of it's own cultural connection and origin is ironic and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I mean, I’m Jewish, I’m not stripping away a Bagel’s cultural relevance to Jews, but also there are more Jews in Manhattan than in Tel Aviv, so if you wanted to make an argument that bagels are a mostly American food in 2022 I think you could do that. It’s like Pizza, when people think of real pizza, no one loving thinks of Italy, they think of New York.

The lunchpin of the movie being a bagel is significant but not in a way the movie outright states and it’s one of the more fun speculatory chestnuts to crack. Symbolism!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The bagel is just some dumb poo poo Joy read on internet one time and decided to obsess over it to the point of giving it a multiversal gravitational pull.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Bust Rodd posted:

I meant a Bagel was a symbol of Westernized food because Chinese, Japanese, and many other Asian cultures view breads as a desert or a treat, they aren’t bread cultures, a giant wheat/gluten bomb like a bagel isn’t part of their culture the same way the lovingly/irritatedly tended rice cooker is. A bagel isn’t something Joy would have grown up loving if she were a Chinese born woman, but she’s American, so a good bagel can mean everything

I mean, I’m Jewish, I’m not stripping away a Bagel’s cultural relevance to Jews, but also there are more Jews in Manhattan than in Tel Aviv, so if you wanted to make an argument that bagels are a mostly American food in 2022 I think you could do that. It’s like Pizza, when people think of real pizza, no one loving thinks of Italy, they think of New York.

The lunchpin of the movie being a bagel is significant but not in a way the movie outright states and it’s one of the more fun speculatory chestnuts to crack. Symbolism!

I mean this is off track and regardless of your point on origins of food I don’t think your thing works.

But I promise you the world does not think of loving New York City instead of Italy with pizza Jfc get a grip

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

teacup posted:

But I promise you the world does not think of loving New York City instead of Italy with pizza Jfc get a grip

You would if you’d tried what italians consider pizza

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

You would if you’d tried what italians consider pizza

Margherita isn't bad, it's just not the platonic ideal of a pizza anymore

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
The Everything Bagel is a reference to the torus topology in cosmology. So Alpha-Joy takes the open infinite multiverse and places it into this closed finite topology whereby the necessary density is made to achieve singularity.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In my universe the bagel has symbolism for the cross generational divide of the immigrant experience and in your universe it’s just funny because bagels are, just, like, so random lol and it’s just, like, a silly play on words. You can’t put everything on a bagel, thatd be ridiculous!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bust Rodd posted:

In my universe the bagel has symbolism for the cross generational divide of the immigrant experience and in your universe it’s just funny because bagels are, just, like, so random lol and it’s just, like, a silly play on words. You can’t put everything on a bagel, thatd be ridiculous!

Because of multiversal cross posting all takes can be correct and adapt the strengths of other takes to suit their needs.

The generational aspect of the bagel is that it's a really dumb thing that Joy takes seriously to the point where Handmaidens tend to it. This force of will is a direct strength inherited by Waymond. He is also dumb and obsessed with a dumb American thing and that's why he puts googlie eyes on everything and tends to the happiness of all within his domain and presence. It's felt so hard that when his wife transcends and opens her third eye it takes the form of that dumb as gently caress googly eye that Weymond has been obsessed with since the like the *checks Wikipedia* they invented in the 1920s? as an pop culture export...?

Their philosophical will has real impact on the world. But it is also dumb as poo poo that is exactly as deep as their two sentence explainations.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
I think it's great that we're taking an interpretive approach that matches the detached glibness of the film itself.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s the Daniels

The most correct interpretation is the most vulgar one.

Therefore butthole.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it. Wonderfully optimistic

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Was listening to an interview and was reminded of the empathy fight. Such a fun way to visually battle with kindness.

The movie seems to be connecting with a diverse audience, particularly Asian communities. A thread on the grassroots style of marketing used:
https://twitter.com/originalspin/status/1517983218527399936?s=21&t=jzPy1309bOML4OCrOq06Bg

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hello, I really enjoyed this movie, and thought it was good. It made me laugh, but also cry. We now return to guys pushing 40 making up the most insane bullshit they can make up. Cream cheese is there as the Asian's sublimated desire to have a European digestive enzyme, things of that nature

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
Always happy to meet the bullshit quota

It was bugging me that Waymond was missing from bagel chat, so I was mulling over how to drag him into it. First up is something the movie itself points out, that Racacooie and the alt-self access headgear are sort of the same thing, letting your body be guided by the skills of another intelligence. "Was I raccoon Waymond again?" This also relates to his habit of slapping googly eyes onto things, which visually connotes the instilling of consciousness/intelligence, and eventually culminates in Evelyn using the googly-third-eye in lieu of the alt-self headgear...

...but the idea of having another self plugged into you in order to excel brings us back to the butt plug, and how it gets introduced as a symbol of achievement? So it's like Waymond is in various capacities acting as the head-needle from the Matrix, plugging into your brain and teaching you kung fu. Or if you wanna emphasize the dildo/buttplug angle, it's funny that Waymond insists the googly eyes make items happier when he's the one that filled Evelyn up with "Joy"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
In 2019, Portrait of a Woman On Fire pushed the idea of The Female Gaze as a counter to The Male Gaze. The idea was that the Female Gaze was one of getting to know your subject, loving them as you learned more about them, unlike the selfish, objectifying male gaze

Waymond is a counter-counter to that, suggesting that men are also capable of gazing at people lovingly and with empathy. Enough so that after Evelyn experiences other lives and gains the ability to care about others she adopts Waymond’s symbol

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
https://twitter.com/JeremyTiang/status/1516769507985010693

Alt titles for the film in mainland China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

mmmmalo posted:

"Was I raccoon Waymond again?"
I don't think Waymond is shown in the Raccaccoonie-verse, that's Harry Shum Jr. as Chad

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
He wasn't, but Evelyn uses Ratatouille to try to explain the whole alt-self possession situation and Waymond accepts the metaphor.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I like that Evelyn grows, and then grows even more

her first stage of growth is that she starts to empathize with others because she experienced other lives for herself. She understands as far as “what if it happened to you” goes. She is the main character/first person in these experiences.

Her next stage of growth is that she is able to empathize with others without experiencing their lives for herself, she simply sees their lives from their point of view, in scenarios where they are the main character and she is a third person camera

I think the takeaway from this is that you don’t have to have experienced the same things as someone else to empathize with them, you simply need to care

Edit: Alpha Waymond teaches her how to receive skills from others. Laundromat Waymond’s love lets her give to others what they need

Subtle, but really cool

Edit:

Alpha Waymond is the scifi action hero and CEO Waymond is the financially successful one, but Alpha Waymond is willing to sacrifice several inter dimensional Evelyns and Joys for his mission, and CEO Waymond feels his life is empty. CEO Waymond just emphasizes how much Laundromat Waymond loves and appreciates Evelyn. Although Alpha Waymond supplies Evelyn with the ability to experience other lives, the true empathy that Evelyn needs to win back her daughter is something she gets from Laundromat Waymond

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 25, 2022

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Steve Yun posted:

It’s the Daniels

The most correct interpretation is the most vulgar one.

Therefore butthole.

I always tell people that the Daniels brand is connecting vulgarity with sincerity and boy did they not disappoint with this one.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
One of them talked about making the movie pg13, but they decided that since they grew up on the internet, they had to include the vulgar in a film about generational conflict.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If it was PG13 then it would be a Lord and Miller movie

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
This movie kicks major rear end that's all I have to contribute for now

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Saw the movie twice, loved it even more the second time and probably cried even more too. Possibly my favorite movie of all time. Even though I'm a black guy in his late 30's I connected to Joys pain in a way that I was not prepared for.

I just got done reading the original version of the script with Jackie Chan in the lead and hated it more than I can put into words here. And I'm a huge Jackie Chan fan, but that version lacks all the heart and emotion of the film. Not to mention Joy's not even really much of a character there and I still have no idea what that version of Jobu was trying to do. Even beyond the script, I can't imagine a version of this movie working without Michelle Yeoh in the lead.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

JT Smiley posted:

Saw the movie twice, loved it even more the second time and probably cried even more too. Possibly my favorite movie of all time. Even though I'm a black guy in his late 30's I connected to Joys pain in a way that I was not prepared for.

I just got done reading the original version of the script with Jackie Chan in the lead and hated it more than I can put into words here. And I'm a huge Jackie Chan fan, but that version lacks all the heart and emotion of the film. Not to mention Joy's not even really much of a character there and I still have no idea what that version of Jobu was trying to do. Even beyond the script, I can't imagine a version of this movie working without Michelle Yeoh in the lead.

It’s a real plus for the movie that although the movie is uniquely about Asian immigrants in America, a lot of it is relatable to all people. Anything about parental disappointment is easy for an audience member to mentally scratch out and fill in with their own experience growing up

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

JT Smiley posted:

I would like to know where I can read this

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Steve Yun posted:

I would like to know where I can read this

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QzPPj4IxtMuphScNu1-KwbDcza3WAXVb/view?usp=sharing

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

can't wait to see this! gosh darn its hard to avoid spoilers on the internet. Luckily, all that's been spoilt for me is:
there is a bagel or bagel imagery involved
I will say this film is giving me joy already, and its because of the countless posts I've read across the nets saying this exact sentiment "I felt this film was cathartically precisely designed for me and made me cry." Which speaks to the masterful empathy of the film makers. Can't wait!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
4K/blu ray announced for June. Give us more raccacoonie.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

this was a really good movie, wow

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I hope they make a Caccacoonie short

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/jamieleecurtis/status/1519736313280294912?s=20&t=G0VUi7DykP75Hk6tOqph1g

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Spider-Man: Into the Hotdog-Verse

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CcGdbA4JLpq/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Must’ve been great having Jamie Lee Curtis on the cast. By all accounts she made everyone laugh the most and always showed up for shooting so she could see what was going on and give advice.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The entire soundtrack is on Spotify and I highly recommend giving it a listen.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

checkplease posted:

Was listening to an interview and was reminded of the empathy fight. Such a fun way to visually battle with kindness.

The movie seems to be connecting with a diverse audience, particularly Asian communities. A thread on the grassroots style of marketing used:
https://twitter.com/originalspin/status/1517983218527399936?s=21&t=jzPy1309bOML4OCrOq06Bg

There was a lot of knowing chuckles with Michelle Yeoh's mean dialogue with her daughter. People have been there.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Something that immediately struck me was the busy-yet-bored attention to the rice cooker in the opening scene, that felt real

This movie was so good that I went back and watched Crouching Tiger again and yeah, Michelle is a loving BEAST with the martial arts, so glad she got to stretch their claws!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
https://littleeyesofpallas.tumblr.com/post/682874052057219072

Translation/interpretation of the Chinese phrase on the final title card.

TL;DR "天馬行空" means "celestial horse traverses the sky"; it's drawn from a line of verse the OP translates as “One ascends to godhood if one rises above the surface of the masses, almost as a celestial horse traversing the sky with a step out of the ordinary.” Clicks nicely with the movie's whole "being wacky gives you super powers" thing