Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

therattle posted:

I never said his winning was a good thing.

therattle posted:

Can’t one even say that it’s good that an actual fascist lost an election without being sniped at?
I somehow don’t believe you’re posting in good faith here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

"Good that fascist lost" is not the same as "good that le toniblair won". This has already become insanely circular and braindead tho

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

therattle posted:

It feels like some people in the us thread interpret posts in the worst possible way (or even outright read them wrongly) just so they can attack them and/or somehow make themselves look worthier, and it’s exhausting.

I mean, ditto if this is how you’re reacting to people pointing out there’s nothing to be relieved about when Macron is the kind of petit-fascist who has been enabling the fascist rise and electing him is just kicking the cam down the road.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Why would he ?. He lives in a capitalist society going against that is even rarer than admitting to being wrong in public life.

Seems the bare minimum to care about him restarting his political career.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

One benefit of Jupiter winning reelection is that he apparently pulled back from his lovely pension reform in this election and also became moderately less poo poo after the yellowjacket riots made him realise how much his "dictating wisdom from the high mountain" was not appreciated by the average French.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Lungboy posted:

Stewart left the Tories because he had the whip removed over Brexit. It wasn't some huge political realisation, he literally couldn't have continued in politics as a Tory. He's still a conservative though, and was most recently seen giving a character reference for Owen Paterson.

He stuck to his personal principles over the parties bad idea and got the boot for it, which he probably took into account beforehand. I can respect that as I'm not a massive fan of tribalism, he's also a fox hunting twat though which I have an enormous problem with despite me keeping spoiled pet chickens.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Spangly A posted:

John Prescott but good

the old Labour right still died though: it got thoroughly replaced by New Labour. as political projects go, that's still not really a success by any stretch

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes but his personal principles are poo poo, which is why he was a tory in the first place. All of the other tories are also sticking to their personal principles.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Noxville posted:

I mean, ditto if this is how you’re reacting to people pointing out there’s nothing to be relieved about when Macron is the kind of petit-fascist who has been enabling the fascist rise and electing him is just kicking the cam down the road.

1) I don't agree with that argument but I do understand it. To me there is a meaningful difference between a centrist like Macron and an outright fascist. Claiming that they are basically the same strikes me as lacking in nuance. It's simplistic.
2) Consequently, I was relieved that the outright fascist didn't win.
3) Relieved is not the same as happy. I was reacting to people saying I was happy that Macron won. I was relieved he won because it meant a fascist lost.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not glad that Macron is the president of France. I would not vote for him. I understand that the absence of meaningful change under him has led to a disenchantment with mainstream politics which has opened a door for a fascist populist like Le Pen. I recognise that he represents the status quo. I still think that's better than a fascist like Le Pen.

TACD posted:

Yeah, likewise, chum.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I would vote for Macron if it was the choice given on Sunday.

I would be gritting my teeth as I did it, but I would vote for him.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
This argument has been dumb as hell. The French voters ended up with a binary choice, and the outcome of that choice was that the less fashy candidate won. That is a good thing, even if the fact that such a binary decision had to be made, is not.

We're all on the same page here, so let's be comrades rather than attacking each other for what seems to be literally no reason.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

He stuck to his personal principles over the parties bad idea and got the boot for it, which he probably took into account beforehand.

I don't understand this, which parties do you mean?

He had the whip removed in 2019 over his Remain stance, and quit the party so he could stand as Mayoral candidate which he couldn't do as a Tory.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

OwlFancier posted:

Yes but his personal principles are poo poo, which is why he was a tory in the first place. All of the other tories are also sticking to their personal principles.

Not all of them. He genuinely opposed Brexit in fact he staked and lost his political career on it. Had Corbyn been able or willing to bring himself to actually oppose Brexit he might have garnered more support from the 48% of the people who were looking to him to behave as though he was leading the opposition. Sitting on the fence while we committed a national act of self harm was an absolutely unforgivable failure.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not all of them. He genuinely opposed Brexit in fact he staked and lost his political career on it. Had Corbyn been able or willing to bring himself to actually oppose Brexit he might have garnered more support from the 48% of the people who were looking to him to behave as though he was leading the opposition. Sitting on the fence while we committed a national act of self harm was an absolutely unforgivable failure.

What's the weather like in the magical world inside your head? And how did you get an internet connection to reality?

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

OwlFancier posted:

What's the weather like in the magical world inside your head? And how did you get an internet connection to reality?

You like the guy, I get it. I think he's a useless oval office.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

This seems a bit of revisionism and getting the wrong message from things. In 2017, when Labour very nearly won, Labour's postion was "Brexit means brexit but do Brexit properly with Labour in charge". In 2019, conference voted to push for Remain and a 2nd referendum and Labour were absolutely decimated in the GE. If Labour had stuck to doing Brexit properly in 2019 they might well have done an awful lot better than backing a 2nd ref.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Oh wow what spectacular insight. Is this based on anything in particular or on anything we can observe or is this a gut feeling that has no connection to anything other than your lower digestive tract?

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Josef bugman posted:

Oh wow what spectacular insight. Is this based on anything in particular or on anything we can observe or is this a gut feeling that has no connection to anything other than your lower digestive tract?

It seems to be the done thing in this thread, why should I do it any differently ?.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lungboy posted:

This seems a bit of revisionism and getting the wrong message from things. In 2017, when Labour very nearly won, Labour's postion was "Brexit means brexit but do Brexit properly with Labour in charge". In 2019, conference voted to push for Remain and a 2nd referendum and Labour were absolutely decimated in the GE. If Labour had stuck to doing Brexit properly in 2019 they might well have done an awful lot better than backing a 2nd ref.
Yes, "we will run a second referendum between a soft brexit and reversing the first referendum" was ridiculously unpopular with the actual electorate in 2019, where off the back of the previous years of complete political deadlock it was able to be portrayed as "we will continue to take the piss" to both remainers and leavers.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Lungboy posted:

If labour had put minimal effort into factchecking the transparent lies Brexit was based on it would never have got that far. They left it to the Tories to who made a pigs ear of it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Turn on your monitor

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

His Divine Shadow posted:

Turn on your monitor

Maybe he should join Stewarts new centrist party. That might help him become politically relevant again.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

If labour had put minimal effort into factchecking the transparent lies Brexit was based on it would never have got that far. They left it to the Tories to who made a pigs ear of it.

Remain lost, and no amount of rules lawyering and well hactuallying would have changed the electorate enough to win that GE and get a second ref. It was a doomed strategy, and the only one with any chance of working was to push the idea that the Tories would be disastrous in charge of Brexit and that Labour doing it properly would be better.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Oh, you're a FBPE, now I get why you love Rory & support the Useless oval office Centrist Party being created. Makes sense, also makes you a deluded end of history dolt

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, "we will run a second referendum between a soft brexit and reversing the first referendum" was ridiculously unpopular with the actual electorate in 2019, where off the back of the previous years of complete political deadlock it was able to be portrayed as "we will continue to take the piss" to both remainers and leavers.
JC's original "we will do a customs union" was the best stance in response to the Brexit vote, but by the time Labour shifted to 2nd ref it had become abundantly clear that the liberals would absolutely not play ball with this, so it just wasn't a tenable solution.

Then ofc the libs shifted to "we won't do 2nd ref either if it means working with Jimery Crowban" so there was no real benefit to the shift, but JC's hand was kinda forced at that point. 2019 was unwinnable, basically

(anyone who thinks Corbyn was fence sitting prior to the Brexit vote just wasn't paying attention,* iirc he made more public appearances opposing Brexit than any other politician except for Alistair Campbell, he just didn't do it on Cameron's ridiculous "actually everything is fine just like it is" platform (*which I guess could be argued to be a failure of communication, but considering the state of the press imo he did everything he could))

e: the bigger question imo is whether the conference vote & kieth's Brexit stance were deliberately designed to force JC into an unwinnable situation, which... hmm.

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 25, 2022

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

It seems to be the done thing in this thread, why should I do it any differently ?.

Because, surprisingly, people will often post reasons for why they think things. Being incapable of providing any I assume you don't have one other than bellyfeel.

Also you are responding to people raising points against your ideas with "nuhuh" but slightly longer. Please, come up with a better point.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 25, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Borrovan posted:

JC's original "we will do a customs union" was the best stance in response to the Brexit vote, but by the time Labour shifted to 2nd ref it had become abundantly clear that the liberals would absolutely not play ball with this, so it just wasn't a tenable solution.

Then ofc the libs shifted to "we won't do 2nd ref either if it means working with Jimery Crowban" so there was no real benefit to the shift, but JC's hand was kinda forced at that point. 2019 was unwinnable, basically

(anyone who thinks Corbyn was fence sitting prior to the Brexit vote just wasn't paying attention,* iirc he made more public appearances opposing Brexit than any other politician except for Alistair Campbell, he just didn't do it on Cameron's ridiculous "actually everything is fine just like it is" platform (*which I guess could be argued to be a failure of communication, but considering the state of the press imo he did everything he could))

No, bad man Jeremy Crummbin hate EU like he hate Jews

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Whether I like the guy is irrelevant, he campaigned quite thoroughly against brexit leading up to the referendum, and if you're just going to make things up because you like the sound of them then I don't really see how I can engage with you other than on the basis that you're delusional.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Dang, thread's been extra spicy last coupla pages

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Lungboy posted:

Remain lost, and no amount of rules lawyering and well hactuallying would have changed the electorate enough to win that GE and get a second ref. It was a doomed strategy, and the only one with any chance of working was to push the idea that the Tories would be disastrous in charge of Brexit and that Labour doing it properly would be better.

How about a politically grown up referendum system where you don't do the stupid thing based on thirty years of Daily Mail anti-immigrant propaganda and lies by setting the winning percentage higher than 50%.

Being bad at holding referendums as a nation doesn't mean going along with the daftest result, it means admitting a mistake and reform. If we did that we could hold more referendums rather than treating them as an alien concept we don't really understand how to approach.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

How about a politically grown up referendum system where you don't do the stupid thing based on thirty years of Daily Mail anti-immigrant propaganda and lies by setting the winning percentage higher than 50%.

Being bad at holding referendums as a nation doesn't mean going along with the daftest result, it means admitting a mistake and reform. If we did that we could hold more referendums rather than treating them as an alien concept we don't really understand how to approach.

I agree, David Cameron did a terrible job and caused decades of suffering

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Reminder that the only reason we had the referendum was because David Cameron thought he'd get another coalition with the Libs & so made promises he didn't think he'd have to keep in the 2015 manifesto. And the Libs absolutely died because it turned out Pigfucker and Loser Clegg were the only people in the country who were positive on the coalition (Well, maybe that one lib who was excited about the 10p bag fee in exchange for tougher sanctions on the unemployed).

And then DC arrogantly went through with the referendum assuming it'd be a breeze and running a staggeringly complacent & condescending campaign.

But it's Juramby Crumblin who is to blame

(Sidenote, but referenda are a poo poo idea when the electorate are kept ignorant)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes, if we could have held referenda on every single one of the EU treaties similarly to how Ireland did and had a press environment that wasn't entirely captured by a handful of extremely powerful people, rather than running an all or nothing off the back of two other "status quo wins again David Cameron forever" referenda then things would definitely have been different. Britain didn't really have the material conditions to delever that at any point in the past 40 years though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I regret to inform you that "what if we set up referendums to only give the result we want" is not something that I think a lot of people would see the point in. And was very solidly rejected when it was attempted after the EU referendum.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It also didn't help that as soon as the result came in everyone went "oh, we're leaving then I guess", with a not insignificant number believing that we'd actually left as soon as the vote came in.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

I agree with this, and Cameron should have put a minimum % result before anything was actioned or just said "it's advisory so we'll look into it" but instead he ran off and May went fully hardcore Brexit must be delivered. Not sure Labour could have done anything at all to alter that. Once that was done, telling people they were stupid and/or wrong with their first vote so we need a second was electoral suicide.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're not prepared to enact both possible outcomes of a referendum then why have one? They are of minimal utility for consent manufacturing if you have to put your finger on the scale to get the outcome you want because everyone can see you doing that, and it encourages a massive media operation to support the outcome you don't, so you're only weakening your position in the long run.

I suppose that does make them very "grown up politics" but I don't think it makes them worth doing.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

This is willingly ignoring the fact that Brexit was and is a project by the rich to privatise 50 years or so of diplomatic effort. They'd sold off everything else, and by nuking our main trade agreements, they made (and continue to make) loving fortunes. The entire weight of their owned media was laser focussed on crashing the pound as low and as long as possible for selfish gains. the rest is windows dressing and misdirection. They were not going to let some scruffy lefty ruin what has turned into an absolute windfall beyond their wildest dreams.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I regret to inform you that "what if we set up referendums to only give the result we want" is not something that I think a lot of people would see the point in. And was very solidly rejected when it was attempted after the EU referendum.
It would have been an interesting alternative history if Britain had rejected the Maastricht Treaty in 1992 by referendum just after Denmark did so, and before their government did "okay now vote for it again and do it right this time" in 1993 and their police gunned down a bunch of protesters for the first time since the Nazi occupation.

Because whatever happened after that, it would have been a lot harder for the right wing press to push "EU dictators don't listen to you, the people". They'd probably still have tried, but a big lie is a lot harder without the kernel of truth at its core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Lungboy posted:

as far as i remember, the reason labour didn't win that election was because corbyn was universally sabotaged by the mainstream media - or is that what you mean by doomed? because i think brexit was only one issue of many there, and labour's strategy on it at the time wasn't going to change the result regardless because you would not see balanced commentary on corbyn unless you were already tapped in to other sources. the average citizen would hear nothing except how he was a far left anti-semite grump.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 25, 2022