Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Congrats. Keep it up, and become what you must... become a <Big Fish>.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Housing barons are cringe but this cspam tier clapback against them is somehow even more pathetic.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Mind over Matter posted:

While probably not the absolute most purely efficient time to gil investment, mining and botany retainers can bring back 120 crystals per 40 minutes. I send them for those if I have nothing I want from them at the moment or if I'm getting desperately low.

Yeah, but if you use The Giving Land and The Twelve's Bounty with your extra attempt skill you can get more than that every like, 3 minutes. The problem is that if you craft a bunch of the highest level CUL white scrip recipe, you can blow through like 300 crystals in way less time than it took to gather the materials, and you need a TON of white scrip to get the materia you need to craft 2 star stuff if you don't want to buy it.

I've been having my BTN retainer go farm the level 70-80 materials you need for CUL collectables, like the honey chips from Rak'tika and the wheat from Kholusia, since they bring back 50 at a time. I have my WAR retainer go hunt for Ovibos Milk (for the purple scrip CUL recipe) because he brings back 12 at a time and I think its more efficient than farming bicolor gems or just farming the mobs themselves

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Do we know what's going to be added with the 6.11 patch (Dragonsong Ultimate/Hildy/Tataru/etc). Or is this just going to be a balancing patch?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Dragonsong's Reprise and bug fixes, mostly.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
It's going to be funny when 6.15 drops and we don't get to dress up the twins' mom.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Maybe it's just my ridiculous patience coming into play but I never found myself groaning or suffering when doing Leveling roulette. It's worth a lot, which helps, but... I dunno. It's just a game. It's not like I'm throwing away an hour of my day on just Leveling. I was actually surprised how much it was worth, overall, on getting me up to my goal of having my first melee DPS at 90.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

HackensackBackpack posted:

It's going to be funny when 6.15 drops and we don't get to dress up the twins' mom.

They did show her in a tux, so we can dress her up. Would be funny if there's "glam check" for her though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I bet the reward is gonna be a minion of the Ragnarok. It won't be called the "wind up Ragnarok" though, it's gonna be called "Teeny Tiny Toy Boat"

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

FortMan posted:

They did show her in a tux, so we can dress her up. Would be funny if there's "glam check" for her though.

Just put her in the 2P outfit right away to save everyone time.

Macaluso posted:

I bet the reward is gonna be a minion of the Ragnarok. It won't be called the "wind up Ragnarok" though, it's gonna be called "Teeny Tiny Toy Boat"

I would enjoy this.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

I've got bad (good?) news for you:

(From the FFXIV Reddit Discord)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Onean posted:

I've got bad (good?) news for you:

(From the FFXIV Reddit Discord)

Oh, I assumed it would be happening, but I thought it'd be funny if they decided at the last minute we couldn't play dress up, especially considering what happened with adventurer plates. I just wanted to watch a funny playerbase revolt.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Macaluso posted:

Wind-up Ragnarok is a reward for purchasing the Endwalker art book

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Put the Twins' mom in their old ARR outfits she made them wear. See how she likes it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Arist posted:

Wind-up Ragnarok is a reward for purchasing the Endwalker art book

Okay well then it's gonna be a literal loving toy boat okay!!!!!!! MISTER JOKE POLICE!!!!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Heh... Your joke has been corrected. :c00l:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Mr. Nice! posted:

That isn't exactly how my reaper bars are set up, but the general layout of some core abilities in the first few numbers and then everything else spread out over three bars is how I set up everything.

e: Here's my most recent screenshot of some of my hotbars. This was from heavensward dragoon:

I would only hit 1-5 with the keyboard often times not even disembowel and never more than alt/ctrl 1,2,3. Everything not in that small little corner got clicked by mouse.

I miss phlebotomize.

Have you ever tried binding the letter keys around WASD? It's totally fine if you prefer clicking most buttons, but you could also use whichever of Q, E, R, F, Z, X, C, or V are most comfortable.

I use ESDF for movement, which opens up more options on the left side. I've got stuff bound to 1-6, A, Q, W, R, T and G. I use the bottom row for utility things like mount and map. I bind frequently used buttons to the letters and longer cooldowns to the numbers because the letters are closer to ESDF. The A binding is especially nice for abilities I use while moving, such as Ruin II on scholar, or want to access quickly, like interrupts.

With two side mouse buttons plus shift modifier for everything I have 28 hotkeys that are all comfortable for my hands.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Qwertycoatl posted:

Halatali has always been a more annoying dungeon than Totorak, and now Coppbell is fixed it's the reigning champion bad early dungeon

I think Qarn is worse than Halatali. Like, there's a fundamental problem if the best approach to your dungeon's central puzzle is to not do it.

Although at least that's a mistake you rarely see in map design, while Halatali is just constantly being mediocre. I guess it comes down to opinion if an unusual mistake is better than a scrape-by mediocrity.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Did they put a bunch of annoying walls in Toto Rok to slow you down or can you still pull everything to the boss?

People always complained about it but i liked it because you could just hold the W key and never stop. you had to have some map knowledge to know where the green pickups were and how to quickly get through the slime corridor but it was still more fun to optimise than the 2 pull-wall-2 pull design of modern maps.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The route optimization happened once and then you were just back to a corridor dungeon anyways.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I don’t care about the side paths, it’s being able to pull 10 packs at once without stopping. You can’t do that in modern dungeons with the exception of Mt gulg for some bizarre reason.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
New Totorak is better than old Totorak. It doesn’t matter if the new one is actually good, but it is better. And anyone arguing otherwise is insane.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CJ posted:

Did they put a bunch of annoying walls in Toto Rok to slow you down or can you still pull everything to the boss?

There are gates.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
imo the issue with ARR dungeons has always been more that I only press two (non-aoe) buttons, not that the maps or pulls suck. I'd be happy to do a level 90 Halatali or whatever

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Genovera posted:

Have you ever tried binding the letter keys around WASD? It's totally fine if you prefer clicking most buttons, but you could also use whichever of Q, E, R, F, Z, X, C, or V are most comfortable.

I use ESDF for movement, which opens up more options on the left side. I've got stuff bound to 1-6, A, Q, W, R, T and G. I use the bottom row for utility things like mount and map. I bind frequently used buttons to the letters and longer cooldowns to the numbers because the letters are closer to ESDF. The A binding is especially nice for abilities I use while moving, such as Ruin II on scholar, or want to access quickly, like interrupts.

With two side mouse buttons plus shift modifier for everything I have 28 hotkeys that are all comfortable for my hands.

I do have WASD bound to movement, but I mostly use them for fine adjustments and do a lot of my movement with the mouse instead: If you hold left + right mouse button, you move to where the camera is pointing, and since I'm holding down the right mouse button most of the time, it's really 'left click to move forward'.
The leaves all the keys available while moving.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Mr. Nice! posted:

I play the game by mostly clicking on things, so don't mind me my advice has always been a bit odd. I only will hit 1-4 with my left hand. I do everything else with the mouse. Sometimes I'll even click my 1-4 with the mouse and just use my left hand for movement. Since I'm tanking more often than not these days, I can play the game entirely right handed when I'm being assaulted by my cat or something in short spurts.

Up until recently I've just used regular computer mice. I destroy the left click on them annually. I bought a "gaming" mouse with two extra buttons. It's ok. I've got holmgang and bloodwhetting bound to the extras.

:hfive: This is exactly how I play, mainly because I use a regular old keyboard. My left hand tends to drift off WASD if I try reaching over to hit numbers 6-0, and IME having to fumble to regain movement mid-fight is extremely punishing in comparison to losing a fraction of a second I could have used to fit in a second oGCD press.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Who's gonna be good to watch for the Dragonsong Ultimate world first stuff?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Frosty (Mogtalk) is running a big charity stream and showing a bunch of different teams. Lots of guest streamers / commentators coming along for the ride.

https://www.twitch.tv/mogtalk

If you want a full-on progression only stream he probably won't be the best choice though.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Alxprit posted:

Maybe it's just my ridiculous patience coming into play but I never found myself groaning or suffering when doing Leveling roulette. It's worth a lot, which helps, but... I dunno. It's just a game. It's not like I'm throwing away an hour of my day on just Leveling. I was actually surprised how much it was worth, overall, on getting me up to my goal of having my first melee DPS at 90.

I just don't have the time anymore. Specific daily roulette options keep getting culled based off xp or fun. I've run MSQ fewer than a handful of times in the last two years, despite how the huge chunk of xp. Maybe the calculus would be different if all my classes weren't all at least 80.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i also have tiny hands so i don't have anything over 5 bound but i make prodigious use of Ctrl, Shift, and Alt and all the extra buttons on my G502 mouse and system-level rebinds so i can use them across multiple games. Mouse buttons above 4 and 5 are almost never recognized by any program so they're hard bound to 9, 0, - and =. Even then I still have blank spaces on my bars...

Q and E are for strafing. R is for auto run. :colbert:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kerrzhe posted:

Q and E are for strafing. R is for auto run. :colbert:

Please tell me you don't use A and D for turning.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Edit: can't make image work D:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

wdarkk posted:

Who's gonna be good to watch for the Dragonsong Ultimate world first stuff?

I'll be watching stal or, if she's not streaming (she's under the weather currently), Woops.

Mogtalk is great if you just want a general overview. They've got their Pandaemonium stream up as a highlight if you want to see how that was ran.

hazardousmouse posted:

I just don't have the time anymore. Specific daily roulette options keep getting culled based off xp or fun. I've run MSQ fewer than a handful of times in the last two years, despite how the huge chunk of xp. Maybe the calculus would be different if all my classes weren't all at least 80.

Have you tried MSQ in 6.1? It's significantly shorter, even with the longer cutscenes still present in Praetorium, which is worth over 60% of a level in the mid-80s from just the roulette bonus. I haven't checked Castrum Meridianum, but that's even quicker, and haven't gotten the Ultima fight yet, but I'd imagine they're still worth at least 50%.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Please tell me you don't use A and D for turning.

i do because that's how i've played MMOs for 18 years

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
A & D are for strafing. My mouse is for turning.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

but can you do this

https://i.imgur.com/mV6BEOP.mp4

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kerrzhe posted:

i do because that's how i've played MMOs for 18 years

RIP.

I was in the same boat after wow and killing A/D turn and making them strafe, freeing up Q/E for interesting buttons, and adding mouse-turn was the biggest improvement for me. But do whatever works because everyone has their own comfortable scheme.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dragongem posted:

new PvP is really bad, now every time I log in I have to basically do everything I can to force myself not to hit the Crystalline Conflict button now :(

One more game. Just one more game.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I use Q+E for strafe and have A+D bound to abilities. The first fps I played ages ago used Q+E for strafing and I’ve never shaken the habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Yeah with ESDF for movement I have S and F bound to strafe rather than turn. I mostly heal, and I like primarily using the mouse for selecting party members or enemies from the threat list.