Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

COVID is officially over! Get the party started!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

eXXon posted:

Woo, a hot, wet, enclosed space with a few dozen people. Sign me up.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
In surprising news, the ONDP appear to have remembered there's an election coming.

I've been seeing PCPO attack ads against both Howath and Del Duca (lol) for a while now, so it's nice to see that the other party is aware there's an election.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

What if it went the other way and the earthquake makes more land between Vancouver and Vancouver island.

Vancouver2

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Vantwofer

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Vancouverer

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I wish Vancouver Island would be swallowed by an earthquake so I can finally afford a house here.

Hate to disappoint you but between isostatic rebound from the last ice age and the subduction of the Juan de Fuca plate, we're actually moving upwards (relatively) rapidly. Much more rapidly when the big one hits.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

tired gay and dead posted:

The entirety of Delta in Vancouver is built on a loving river delta, as the name implies, and the whole thing is going to liquefy and a ton of the poo poo they built on it is going to fall down.

That's very interesting. I know Sea Island is made of rock but what about the rest of Richmond?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sea Island and Lulu Island are both made up of sand and silt, with a bit of peat bog at the east end of Lulu Island. There is no rock.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Richmond will mostly liquefy and subside in a big earthquake, as will Delta. It will be a "mass casualty event".

Source: an emergency management briefing I got from the province ten years ago when I worked at the BC Utilities Commission.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

McGavin posted:

This is a common misconception. Contrary to popular belief, Delta is not a Delta. It's Richmond that's build on a Delta.

Victoria is actually fairly protected from tsunamis by the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. The place that's super-screwed is Port Alberni.

what no? both richmond and delta are both reclaimed riverland. tsawassen and north delta are on granite hills, but that leaves a lot of delta below sea level on a foundation of silt and mud

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
It's been a while since I looked up the surficial geology maps of the Vancouver area, but the province hosts them online here:

https://geoscan.nrcan.gc.ca/starweb/geoscan/servlet.starweb?path=geoscan/downloade.web&search1=R=108876

Anything in yellow with a captial F in it's code is deltaic stuff, and the only part of the F code with any clay in it is Fe, which doesn't seem to be very prevalent on the surface, it looks like there's at least a few dozen meters of Fa-d in most of the area, which is the stuff that's got fairly coarse grains and will be very prone to liquefaction.

The stuff in red with the PV code is also coarse grained, but there's not a lot of it. The light blue Ca-c coded areas also look pretty bad and there's a few of them. The peat in grey should be fine during a quake, but it looks like some of it overlies coarse grained F code stuff, so those areas might also be in trouble.

Anything in green or light green with a VC or V code might be fine depending on the depth of it, since they've got a pretty good amount of clay. The pink stuff up top is nice solid bedrock so they're definitely fine up there.

To be entirely honest though, I wouldn't expect any areas in Vancouver to fare that well during The Big One. We don't live in a country like Japan where they build buildings to be earthquake proof, I would not be confident that even the stuff built on bedrock is going to be well built enough to survive a big earthquake.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

eXXon posted:

This is a loving hell - covid or not - who the gently caress dances around in a sauna. I can barely last 10 minutes before dying.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

the talent deficit posted:

what no? both richmond and delta are both reclaimed riverland. tsawassen and north delta are on granite hills, but that leaves a lot of delta below sea level on a foundation of silt and mud

Reclaimed riverland, sure, but until the Fraser empties into Boundary Bay, not a delta.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

tired gay and dead posted:

It's been a while since I looked up the surficial geology maps of the Vancouver area, but the province hosts them online here:

https://geoscan.nrcan.gc.ca/starweb/geoscan/servlet.starweb?path=geoscan/downloade.web&search1=R=108876

Anything in yellow with a captial F in it's code is deltaic stuff, and the only part of the F code with any clay in it is Fe, which doesn't seem to be very prevalent on the surface, it looks like there's at least a few dozen meters of Fa-d in most of the area, which is the stuff that's got fairly coarse grains and will be very prone to liquefaction.

The stuff in red with the PV code is also coarse grained, but there's not a lot of it. The light blue Ca-c coded areas also look pretty bad and there's a few of them. The peat in grey should be fine during a quake, but it looks like some of it overlies coarse grained F code stuff, so those areas might also be in trouble.

Anything in green or light green with a VC or V code might be fine depending on the depth of it, since they've got a pretty good amount of clay. The pink stuff up top is nice solid bedrock so they're definitely fine up there.

To be entirely honest though, I wouldn't expect any areas in Vancouver to fare that well during The Big One. We don't live in a country like Japan where they build buildings to be earthquake proof, I would not be confident that even the stuff built on bedrock is going to be well built enough to survive a big earthquake.

So you're saying the price of Vancouver real estate will rise?

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
It's easier to imagine the end of the world than it is to imagine real estate prices in BC going down.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Remember it is the value of the land that is driving up the value, not the properties themselves. So after the big one hits look forward to seeing a pile of rocks with a family buried under it to be worth 1 million plus dollars

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

jettisonedstuff posted:

Won't be much room for houses after all the roads, parking lots and strip malls get built.

This is already Nanaimo?:dafuq:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

eXXon posted:

You haven't thought of the smell you bitch

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Thanks to COVID that's not really an issue

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

infernal machines posted:

Thanks to COVID that's not really an issue

:hmmyes:

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I was 100% not joking about looking at maps, if you have the luxury of living in Vancouver and being able to choose where.

infernal machines posted:

So you're saying the price of Vancouver real estate will rise?

I think anything that survives the earthquake will be worth a literal fortune, because even if no average people want to stay there while it’s mostly destroyed the people who are doing the rebuilding will need somewhere to live. And I can’t imagine a scenario where the province doesn’t rebuild Vancouver, given its importance for shipping.

Victoria is a little more “who cares” since it doesn’t seem as geographically important, but it’s the capital so my guess is we’d rebuild that too as a point of pride.

Edit:
Here’s a recent high-level study of a few scenarios including Victoria/Vancouver. https://geoscan.nrcan.gc.ca/starweb/geoscan/servlet.starweb?path=geoscan/fulle.web&search1=R=329397

A 7.0 crustal earthquake in the strait will take out over 10k buildings, kill 2,000 people, and cost 30 billion (10% of BC’s GDP).
A 7.3 crustal earthquake on the Leech River fault will take out 7k buildings, kill 1,000 people, and cost 20 billion.

Neither of these is the big one. Also the report basically says “lol” with regards to hospital capacity to handle all the people who are injured on top of the ones who die during the initial quake, and doesn’t model additional affects like tsunamis.

kaom fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 25, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I wish Vancouver Island would be swallowed by an earthquake so I can finally afford a house here.
:same:

redbrouw posted:

I am struck by the millennial-ness of this post

Don't mention Cumberland.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

kaom posted:

Neither of these is the big one. Also the report basically says “lol” with regards to hospital capacity to handle all the people who are injured on top of the ones who die during the initial quake, and doesn’t model additional affects like tsunamis.

It is fine. The new hospital being built for Downtown Vancouver is in the false creek flats and will be under a couple meters of water and potentially submerged into the fill that was used to create that land.

Some nightmare fuel in case property values, atmospheric rivers and heat domes wasn't enough for you.

I personally hope my townhouse collapses on me as it will save me from the immediate and long term aftermath.

Crow Buddy fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 26, 2022

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

If we had unlimited budget and political will, honestly is there even anything we could do? Relocate the entire city of Vancouver up the coast? I don’t know anything about the feasibility of rebuilding the ports, in terms of ships even being able to navigate somewhere far enough away to be considered mostly safe.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

A series of gargantuan robots piloted by mind-melded heroes who will punch back the approaching wave of water with their brutal metal fists until the ocean returns to its rightful place.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

kaom posted:

If we had unlimited budget and political will, honestly is there even anything we could do? Relocate the entire city of Vancouver up the coast? I don’t know anything about the feasibility of rebuilding the ports, in terms of ships even being able to navigate somewhere far enough away to be considered mostly safe.

i dunno what you think is up the coast but vancouver (and seattle) is where it is because it's one of the most fertile river valleys on earth AND it's perfectly positioned to be the west coast's busiest port. short of buying up all of richmond and the parts of delta, surrey, langley and maple ridge adjacent to the river and relocating the population to arnmore there's not really much you can do

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
The solution to Vancouver is to knock down all the buildings and use it as farmland. Probably too late now anyways, I can't imagine that whatever great farmland was under all that hasn't been contaminated to poo poo by this point.

We just have to wait for it to be destroyed and then hopefully next time build cities in places that won't be destroyed by a geological certainty. This would require long-term planning that I don't think anyone would really be interested in though.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

This is kind of what I’m thinking, that there is no real alternative to where Vancouver is right now even if we knew ahead of building anything that the earthquake was guaranteed to strike.

I don’t think we could just move people out of the key danger zones successfully. Is there a single major port anywhere in the world that doesn’t need major infrastructure and housing immediately adjacent to it to even be able to operate? I don’t know that we could have a port, surrounded by farmlands, and then a major population centre another hour’s drive away. Maybe I’m wrong about this, operations and geography are not my strong suit.

Likewise I think there’s a whole lotta nothing up the coast, and a big part of the reason is proximity to the US but also I’m under the impression it’s geographically difficult to establish any major ports on most of the coastline. If you go way north Prince Rupert exists, sure, but it isn’t “big” because how are you going to get things inland from there (and a significant number of people want to live in a milder climate).

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Just rebuild and you're good for another 300-800 years. :shrug:

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
It seems unlikely that they'd bother to rebuild. That's a lot of investment for something that won't give returns for a couple decades.

I dunno if western governments have the capacity to do things like that anymore.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

just dig a canal to alberta and build vancouver around it

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Nope. No way are we going to help Alberta get any oil to the ocean.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

McGavin posted:

Nope. No way are we going to help Alberta get any oil to the ocean.

If we can't get the alberta oil to the ocean we'll bring the ocean to alberta oil.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

kaom posted:

This is kind of what I’m thinking, that there is no real alternative to where Vancouver is right now even if we knew ahead of building anything that the earthquake was guaranteed to strike.

I don’t think we could just move people out of the key danger zones successfully. Is there a single major port anywhere in the world that doesn’t need major infrastructure and housing immediately adjacent to it to even be able to operate? I don’t know that we could have a port, surrounded by farmlands, and then a major population centre another hour’s drive away. Maybe I’m wrong about this, operations and geography are not my strong suit.

Likewise I think there’s a whole lotta nothing up the coast, and a big part of the reason is proximity to the US but also I’m under the impression it’s geographically difficult to establish any major ports on most of the coastline. If you go way north Prince Rupert exists, sure, but it isn’t “big” because how are you going to get things inland from there (and a significant number of people want to live in a milder climate).

Cmon man, haven't you been paying attention the last 2 years? People are more than willing to drive 2 hours to their lovely job watching containers get loaded on a computer screen if it means they can pay 1 million dollars for a detached bungalow with some hostas out front

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Just rebuild in terrace problem solved

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Eagerly awaiting future PM Pierre Pollievre tweeting at Elon Musk asking him to join a P3 Vancouver reconstruction project while also soliciting crypto donations for disaster relief

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

That's what Vancouver needs, infinite tunnels

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Shofixti posted:

Eagerly awaiting future PM Pierre Pollievre tweeting at Elon Musk asking him to join a P3 Vancouver reconstruction project while also soliciting crypto donations for disaster relief

I hate everything about this so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Crypto, you say?

https://twitter.com/CozomoMedici/status/1518737504580431874

If that sounds like a website where you can get a url to a webpage that shows links to links to jpegs, don't worry, the original tech bro failed Conservative leader is on the scene:

https://twitter.com/CozomoMedici/status/1518737510418968576

Maybe it's time to bail if big brained boat butcher is involved. Also not sure how I feel about Kevin O'Leary x Fluidity/Airswap.