Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

I’m not even trying to be a hater but I think it’s ironic that the trust fund kids and stemlords have turned into the archetypical class enemies of the millennial/zoomer online left but “guy who made a cool $500k just by owning property” is seen like wow, congrats, lucky you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

bi crimes posted:

the only posters over 35 who own in an area that isn’t blasted out or remote are pmc/computer touching white collars or have generational wealth (aka mommy and daddy bought them a house or most of a house because they got married or something)

can confirm, im 35 and have meet neither of those three criteria and im a perma-renter4ever

TheSlutPit posted:

I’m not even trying to be a hater but I think it’s ironic that the trust fund kids and stemlords have turned into the archetypical class enemies of the millennial/zoomer online left but “guy who made a cool $500k just by owning property” is seen like wow, congrats, lucky you.
the landlord is the worst mosnter but also least visible bc u can't post@them for praxis. it therefore falls to the obnoxious online stemlords scolds to be the boogeyman instead

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
I live in a county with a population just over 50k. The main "city" is a college town that loses half the population during the summer months. Median house prices have jumped to near $350k while a year ago it was less than $270k.

https://twitter.com/PalouseNews/status/1517531489583484929

Seriously though I have no idea how anyone who isn't either a WSU coach or SEL big-wig can afford any of it. I've worked at the university for near 10 years as research faculty (more than 10 for other job titles) and I still haven't cracked $40k. poo poo is bleak.

Thank god I never got a PhD cause it doesn't look like any of the post-docs are doing much better.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

TheSlutPit posted:

you should check out landlord twitter and tiktok

https://i-d.vice.com/en_uk/article/qj88v3/young-landlords-of-tiktok-property-ownership
Young landlord TikTok is here and it's truly as grim as it sounds

quote:

We regret to inform you that the landlords are now on TikTok (and, by extension, Instagram Reels) to boast about their wealth and document the process of the “job”. Please, try not to throw up. The “PropertyTok” hashtag now has over 482,000 views on TikTok, while the “landlordlife” tag has an unfortunately large 8.4 million participants.

If you haven’t yet been exposed to these videos, good for you, but to give you an idea of their cursed contents: on TikTok, landlordism is presented as a kind of "get rich quick” scheme, or simply a fun lifestyle choice. Some creators have even managed to mix property-letting with multi-level marketing schemes, encouraging viewers to invest in properties they have lined up to get their foot in the door.
With these glaring statistics in mind, it’s no surprise that the comment sections under #PropertyTok content are filled with devastated renters pleading with the creators to see how evil this system is. 27-year-old TikTok user Harry, who struggled to pay his rent during the pandemic and was refused rent holidays by his landlord, says the trend is particularly upsetting due to the apparent age of the landlords taking part. Referring to the now-viral Ko Estates video, he writes, “She’s like 21. That’s just not who you expect landlords — who are inherently evil — to be.”

shrike82 has issued a correction as of 05:33 on Apr 26, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Zantie posted:

I live in a county with a population just over 50k. The main "city" is a college town that loses half the population during the summer months. Median house prices have jumped to near $350k while a year ago it was less than $270k.
college towns tend to be hot market-wise for a lot of reasons. or at least hotter-market relative to whatever blasted out place you might live.

a) housing is a reliable 'investment' to become a parasitic landlord because students will always need housing, and it is often still cheaper to rent off-campus than at dorms for some ungodly stupid reason. it'd take collapse of the college for this to be a bad investment
b) college professors and high-level managers such make decent enough money to usually afford them vs general working populace. applies more to more famous state and private school college towns where they also make bank not just from instructing.
c) college towns are usually more vibrant than most lovely tract-house white-flight sprawl newburb town alternatives. and so for more millennial-gen-x college-educated people who can work anywhere, college towns provide more youth and lively place to live and for those with families or expecting to have kids public schools associated in the area tend to be pretty good too.
d) if you're a nasty rear end single 30-40-50-something dude you can also use your home ownership in a college town to hit on college chicks, it's insanely gross but i saw a lot of it in my old college town. tangentially also a way to live youth-vicariously like a vampire.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I paid down about 60% down on my house when I bought a couple of years ago, but once the pandemic came along and interest rates dropped to nothing compared to the 4.5% I was paying, I decided to just go ahead and pay the rest of the thing off. I don’t know if that makes sense or not, but it feels nice not to owe anything on it.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

General Dog posted:

I paid down about 60% down on my house when I bought a couple of years ago, but once the pandemic came along and interest rates dropped to nothing compared to the 4.5% I was paying, I decided to just go ahead and pay the rest of the thing off. I don’t know if that makes sense or not, but it feels nice not to owe anything on it.

cool, really glad for you 🙏 blessings

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I thought I'd be a perma renter but after volunteering with the tenants union for a few years and having my own lovely landlord experiences my partner and I just decided to go car free and save as aggressive as possible in the hopes that we could somehow outpace the market. Renting felt so precarious that it seemed worth it to put every dime we could scrounge towards buying some stability.

We got a great deal on an incredible place right at the beginning of COVID before prices went bananas. Now I'm constantly worried about losing my job or some unexpected event making it impossible to pay the mortgage that is 1/2 of our monthly expenses. Love to be house poor but at least I can't get kicked out by anyone but the bank.

Honestly, I just want to feel stable. Renting doesn't do it. Buying doesn't do it (unless you bought a long time ago). So how then shall we live? Having a stable living situation is the basis from which people invest their time and energy into their community. When that's gone what kind of society is being created?

That said, we went through a private sale and 10/10 would do again. So that's one thing to feel positive about. I feel like half of what realtors do is just waste everyones time.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
ahhh nevermind misread

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

War and Pieces posted:

Sorry but pumping money into a house just for sale doesn't actually make sense.

this is from a while back, but you get to deduct the home improvement amount from the taxes paid on the sale of the house, so you essentially are paid to not have to live through a renno and also get the increased value from the sale

it's yet another pretty great standard home owning scam like deducting interest

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
our realtor got us an excellent deal by aggressively pursuing this place and being a deadeyed sociopath unable to feel joy beyond owning other realtors

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Xaris posted:

college towns tend to be hot market-wise for a lot of reasons. or at least hotter-market relative to whatever blasted out place you might live.
c) college towns are usually more vibrant than most lovely tract-house white-flight sprawl newburb town alternatives. and so for more millennial-gen-x college-educated people who can work anywhere, college towns provide more youth and lively place to live and for those with families or expecting to have kids public schools associated in the area tend to be pretty good too.
d) if you're a nasty rear end single 30-40-50-something dude you can also use your home ownership in a college town to hit on college chicks, it's insanely gross but i saw a lot of it in my old college town. tangentially also a way to live youth-vicariously like a vampire.

You clearly don't know Pullman, WA :lol:

Unless you consider the annual Lentil Festival as something vibrant and lively for the youth.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Zantie posted:

You clearly don't know Pullman, WA :lol:

Unless you consider the annual Lentil Festival as something vibrant and lively for the youth.
i actually dont, was talking more generally. they are of course no actual 'big city', but if you're a more well-to-do type that wants "cheaper housing than big city, 'good schools', kinda quiet sleepy place, but also has a single indian and thai food in a 10 block radius", college towns are usually better than alternative typical white flight-burbs.

at least that's the case for california college towns. humboldt, davis, santa barbara, etc

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

So is the market going to come down ever or is this a return to feudalism? I can just about buy a house (in nowheresville Midwest oc)

Is it better to spend my meagre savings on a place now or would I just be owning myself?

I'm a WFH stemlord/book writer

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Blockade posted:

So is the market going to come down ever or is this a return to feudalism? I can just about buy a house (in nowheresville Midwest oc)

Is it better to spend my meagre savings on a place now or would I just be owning myself

do whatever you want that would make you happiest mang , planet's dying.

well, don't become a landlord.

and also dont buy a place that's in a drought / doesn't have good source of water. and also dont buy a place that requires alternating between AC/heating 365-days a year in order to not die. and also probably dont buy a place downstream of an chemical plant. and also dont buy one next to the highway. i would look at upstate NY or vermont like Adirondacks region if you could work anywhere though as a wfh stemlord. maybe midwest is fine too idk but at that point rural northern vermont seems much nicer.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:17 on Apr 26, 2022

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

More than a few places have tempted me to go back to Illinois, but I'm firmly against going back. Plenty of other midwestern poo poo states to choose from, none are good (IL has legal weed though).

How the hell is weed illegal in most of the Midwest? It's loving depressing rust belt all over. Most cities have steadily lost population for decades until recently. You need weed to stand that poo poo.

Speaking as a dumb rear end Texas, I'm real loving glad I bought a house a few months before they jacked up interest rates. Taking months to shop for a home really wakes you up to how completely stupid housing policy is in the US. It's all structured to make housing expensive as possible. Most of the land in cities is restricted to single family homes, so that limits housing. There is no support and instead a ton of barriers in place to prevent the construction of affordable apartments. And now even the worst parts of the city are unaffordable because investors can buy property in "opportunity zones" tax free.

edit: Also stupid Houston poo poo. There is no real "zoning", so most of the new homes are built in locations that didn't have a home for a good reason. All the newer homes are next to highways or in industrial areas. Would you like a $500k home built in 2016 that is downwind from a chemical treatment facility and covered in asbestos?

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 06:23 on Apr 26, 2022

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Xaris posted:

i actually dont, was talking more generally. they are of course no actual 'big city', but if you're a more well-to-do type that wants "cheaper housing than big city, 'good schools', kinda quiet sleepy place, but also has a single indian and thai food in a 10 block radius", college towns are usually better than alternative typical white flight-burbs.

at least that's the case for california college towns. humboldt, davis, santa barbara, etc

Yeah those ones you list in CA, especially Davis as I remember it, are way, way nicer and much closer to actual cities. What I'm talking about is a university known for its focus on agriculture. The veterinary hospital here is one of the biggest on this side of the country but it was born in part because of necessity with all the livestock.

We've got pretty rolling hills (was the stock desktop background for a lot of Windows machines way back when) but the second largest 'city' in the county, about 20 miles from here is a dying town being propped up by people who work in Pullman. We're 7 miles from another college town (University of Idaho in Moscow, ID) and that college town is legit pretty and has a walk-able downtown. Ours has gotten better over the last 20 years but it's still sad and dusty by comparison.

One of the main complaints I remember hearing about from older faculty is that the high school here didn't have any AP courses. So unless that's changed recently, the 'good schools' thing isn't much of a draw either.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Xaris posted:

do whatever you want that would make you happiest mang , planet's dying.

well, don't become a landlord.

and also dont buy a place that's in a drought / doesn't have good source of water. and also dont buy a place that requires alternating between AC/heating 365-days a year in order to not die. and also probably dont buy a place downstream of an chemical plant. and also dont buy one next to the highway. i would look at upstate NY or vermont like Adirondacks region if you could work anywhere though as a wfh stemlord. maybe midwest is fine too idk but at that point rural northern vermont seems much nicer.

Also don't buy downwind of a landfill or within earshot of a shooting range. Learn from my family's mistake.

Probably should stay away from airports too if you like to not get cancer.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

General Dog posted:

you deserve it more

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Y'all know if you became president you get a big house?

I feel like everyone isn't trying hard enough like cmon

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

i say swears online posted:

an acquaintance of mine is constantly talking about minimalism and letting go of belongings, but what it means in practice is that he just hires people to do laundry, dishes, yardwork, home repair, and then eats out all the time

Reminds me of a person in Oakland who lives a "car free life" but just uber's everywhere, even places where the public transit system would take her.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ngl, owning a large social media platform where I can profess and enforce the immortal science of marxist-leninism is a fair trade over acquiring yet another property.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

bawfuls posted:

I think it technically means 65% of housing units are owner occupied

That's way higher then I expected tbh.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Oh, you can still own, but it's going to be the inside corner of the midwest's rear end in a top hat with extremely limited job options and definitely higher property taxes to prop up what little municipal facilities haven't been bought by some conglomerate of investors.

For example, a small town's former city hall.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/221-N-Mitchell-St-Braceville-IL-60407/2068621762_zpid/

How about an 1890s hotel?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/233-S-Walnut-St-Arthur-IL-61911/325540045_zpid/

This one is kind of a hidden gem, "raise a big family" kind of house, nice wood work inside, but it's effectively in a sea of corn and soybeans. Those trees right up on the basement foundation probably aren't great, either.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/107-S-Walnut-St-Roberts-IL-60962/112572157_zpid/

Sorry I keep drawing back to Illinois but it's just familiar to me so I use it a lot. But yeah, you can own, if you uproot your life, change jobs to a much more limited market, move to the grain states and can tolerate 60s wood paneling and 70s pastel toilets.

More than a few places have tempted me to go back to Illinois, but I'm firmly against going back. Plenty of other midwestern poo poo states to choose from, none are good (IL has legal weed though).

I like chicago :shobon:
Also all of those seem cool, but I'm addicted to Urban living now so they'd all be right out for me.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TheSlutPit posted:

That's not how class works. Read some theory, smh.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

How the hell is weed illegal in most of the Midwest? It's loving depressing rust belt all over. Most cities have steadily lost population for decades until recently. You need weed to stand that poo poo.

Speaking as a dumb rear end Texas, I'm real loving glad I bought a house a few months before they jacked up interest rates. Taking months to shop for a home really wakes you up to how completely stupid housing policy is in the US. It's all structured to make housing expensive as possible. Most of the land in cities is restricted to single family homes, so that limits housing. There is no support and instead a ton of barriers in place to prevent the construction of affordable apartments. And now even the worst parts of the city are unaffordable because investors can buy property in "opportunity zones" tax free.

edit: Also stupid Houston poo poo. There is no real "zoning", so most of the new homes are built in locations that didn't have a home for a good reason. All the newer homes are next to highways or in industrial areas. Would you like a $500k home built in 2016 that is downwind from a chemical treatment facility and covered in asbestos?

Don't live in Houston, :wtc:

I'm a 7th generation texan, and even I'd never live in houston, what is wrong with you!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

rabble rabble posted:

it's yet another pretty great standard home owning scam like deducting interest
this is what I mean by not making sense

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Buying in or near NYC is particularly stupid as one well-aimed hurricane will finally fully transform the subway system into asbestos-laced muck.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I like chicago :shobon:
Also all of those seem cool, but I'm addicted to Urban living now so they'd all be right out for me.

Chicago is fine, and there's a lot of cheaper suburbs to the south and west, but it doesn't get cheaper than out in the corn.

Some of the smaller cities in Illinois haven't bubbled up as badly, and those hoping to ride the bubble to a higher price have been cutting them back for months. Champaign, Bloomington, Peoria, all have homes under $100k that you could almost certainly chisel more off the price, because no one is moving there.

Obviously newer neighborhoods and homes are more expensive, but the older home market there isn't bad at all, like most of the midwest.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Nocturtle posted:

Buying in or near NYC is particularly stupid as one well-aimed hurricane will finally fully transform the subway system into asbestos-laced muck.

Not just the subway lol, we saw during Ida that huge parts of the city (even on hills!) are ready to flood horribly and kill thousands and/or destroy all their worldly possessions.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Nocturtle posted:

I really wish I could buy a co-op in Brooklyn but this a genuine concern for me

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

OxMan posted:

Literally no one deemed loving essential in 2020 or even their lil capo managers could ever own their own anything in most states so thats just privilege shining bright.

as I said, you just had to be looking to buy a a home between 2009-2013 or so, it's fortunate timing

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nocturtle posted:

not hurricane, i think you mean SUPERSTORM

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

actionjackson posted:

as I said, you just had to be looking to buy a a home between 2009-2013 or so, it's fortunate timing

Yeah i dont know who was buying a house in 2009 off 7.25 an hr or whatever the gently caress poverty rear end deathbelt wages they were getting. Nor 11.25 in CA. When was the fortunate timing for that wage, 1962?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

it is worthwhile to finance a time machine. you could pay it off by purchasing two homes at the right time.

I want shelter.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

OxMan posted:

Yeah i dont know who was buying a house in 2009 off 7.25 an hr or whatever the gently caress poverty rear end deathbelt wages they were getting. Nor 11.25 in CA. When was the fortunate timing for that wage, 1962?

plenty of people got in on the mythical "$500 house" in 2009 but I was too busy partying when I should have been studying the hammer

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Was a grad student at that point so apparently was never going to fully benefit from the money printer. Many different ways to learn grad school doesn't pay.

sat on my keys! posted:

Not just the subway lol, we saw during Ida that huge parts of the city (even on hills!) are ready to flood horribly and kill thousands and/or destroy all their worldly possessions.

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

I really wish I could buy a co-op in Brooklyn but this a genuine concern for me

In my dumb opinion until recently not buying in or near NYC was strictly correct, the renting experience aside. Property valuations made renting often cheaper and this city is long term doomed anyway. Why would you want to own a piece of it? Leave the landlords, banks and pencil tower billionaires holding the bag when it finally floods.

That view's not working out well for me right now. Took a while to figure out we're hilariously priced out of the market so don't need to think about it at least.

Bill Buckner
Aug 14, 2005
Young people should just be smart like me and find a woman selling at a loss to spite her ex husband a decade ago smh.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

War and Pieces posted:

plenty of people got in on the mythical "$500 house" in 2009 but I was too busy partying when I should have been studying the hammer

Non coastal states are wild. I dont think I've ever seen a house that didnt cost more than 300k (and I'm talking a normal rear end house not some trashed shack you have to demolish and rebuild over) , even as a kid in the late 90s i remember when my moms friends (all electricians, which i used to think of as soooo rich) were buying houses that was the going price. That there were states out there with houses actually buyable by people working regular rear end jobs in a post 9/11 world blows my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

OxMan posted:

you mentioned managers, I agree about essential workers, though not all essential workers make minimum wage of course (I mean, physicians and surgeons are considered essential)

OxMan posted:

Non coastal states are wild. I dont think I've ever seen a house that didnt cost more than 300k (and I'm talking a normal rear end house not some trashed shack you have to demolish and rebuild over) , even as a kid in the late 90s i remember when my moms friends (all electricians, which i used to think of as soooo rich) were buying houses that was the going price. That there were states out there with houses actually buyable by people working regular rear end jobs in a post 9/11 world blows my mind.

The median house price in the twin cities didn't hit 300k until last year, and that was a record. I'd say it was around 200k 10-12 years ago

this is because the winters get cold as gently caress mainly

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 17:31 on Apr 26, 2022