Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A bigger question for me is what Leahy did to drop so much, besides saying he was retiring and giving everyone heart attacks after saying he went to the hospital that one time recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Probably a big factor but Bernie also had a big drop so probably something else too that pushed both of them down.

One thing to note is Leahy is still the 6th most popular senator so he didn't have anywhere to go but down and he's still more popular than Manchin. Similarly, Bernie had the 2nd biggest drop and is still the 3rd most popular.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I suspect Manchin's getting good reactions because he's clowned his enemies over and over during the last year to the point even the president has to ask his permission to do anything, and people like dudes who look strong

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I suspect Manchin's getting good reactions because he's clowned his enemies over and over during the last year to the point even the president has to ask his permission to do anything, and people like dudes who look strong

He owned the libs, and didn't have to stick a straw in a raw steak to do it. He is the republican ideal

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Manchin is a Republican going 'Can you believe these stupid libs, they're STILL falling for it!' and has the BBB- arguably the entire Biden Administration- stuffed and mounted on his mantlepiece. He has delivered his base what they want. No wonder Sinema wants in on that racket. Try to actually do things as a Democrat and your party will scream bloody murder and call you a threat to everything they hold dear, stonewall everything and they'll kiss your feet and treat you as a feared god to be appeased.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Arist posted:

Oh hey, Steven Donziger (the guy who successfully sued Chevron to the point it had to pull out of Ecuador, but got harassed, disbarred, and put under almost 1000 days of house arrest for it) got released today.

https://twitter.com/SDonziger/status/1518602432787501056

The number of times they tried to screw him during probation was ridiculous.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Manchin is a Republican going 'Can you believe these stupid libs, they're STILL falling for it!' and has the BBB- arguably the entire Biden Administration- stuffed and mounted on his mantlepiece. He has delivered his base what they want. No wonder Sinema wants in on that racket. Try to actually do things as a Democrat and your party will scream bloody murder and call you a threat to everything they hold dear, stonewall everything and they'll kiss your feet and treat you as a feared god to be appeased.

Manchin actually had a net change of -40 among West Virginia Democrats. That is a massive drop within your own party. He's at -10 favorability with them now.

He just has an enormous +41 net change among independents and +67 (!) net change among Republicans that puller him way ahead overall.

Manchin is now in a weird position where:

- National Democrats hate him.
- West Virginia Democrats used to love him, but are now moderately displeased with him.

- National Republicans are 50/50 on him.
- West Virginia Republicans absolutely love him.

- National Independents like him moderately well.
- West Virginia Independents really like him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Manchin is on his bullshit again

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1518948378737930240?s=21&t=lWj3gu5Ta_NQr1BHXMN1Gw

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Manchin is on his bullshit again
What a piece of poo poo. He knows drat well that a demand for "bipartisanship" means "nothing," with the exception of what Republicans already agreed to: a bare-minimum expenditure to keep our interstate bridges from collapsing. (Honestly, it was surprising they agreed to that. And while only 17 GOP Senators voted for it, all of their members are in their home states/districts bragging about the funds "they" secured.)

And Republicans certainly aren't more likely to work with Democrats now that it's an election year.

He (along with Sinema, of course) has put the Democrats in such a difficult position for the midterms. How do you argue that your party never really had control of Congress when, on paper, you did? How do you distance yourself from the obviously GOP-aligned Dem Senators without reinforcing the bogus-but-pervasive narrative that "Democrats are too far left"?'

For that matter, how do you reconcile M&S's shittiness with the indisputable fact that KBJ would've never made it onto the court with McConnell as Majority Leader? Not to mention the dozens and dozens of other judges that have been confirmed, whose nominations would've gone to the next Republican President, if not for the narrow majority Manchin has provided?

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 26, 2022

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
After some thought and time, Sinema and Manchin are basically acting the way 99% of people who declare themselves "independent" would. These people live in their own fantasy world built out of wishful thinking that downplays the consequences of living in their fantasies instead of confronting the reality of the problems we are facing nationally and internationally. Why do something decisive when I can just keep trying to make everyone happy and reward myself in the meantime? I meet people like this every day when I go to the suburbs and I've let go of either of them being uniquely evil or immoral or stupid. They're doing what a lot (but maybe not a majority) of Americans want.

I feel sick of everything and quite tired despite knowing that we need to work even harder to fix this stupid planet.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Elon states that he is trying to make a profit off of Twitter, but I doubt that he really will.

It is still baffling how much these tech companies sell themselves for when they get taken private and how little profit they actually turn.

I think Youtube is the only one to deliver a consistent profit. Good call by whoever at Google decided that one.

I am still laughing at the fact that Fox paid over half a billion for MySpace, Yahoo paid over a billion for Tmblr, and Microsoft paid $26 billion (!!!) for LinkedIn.

https://twitter.com/JonErlichman/status/1518669409484787715

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I suspect the values to be extracted are indirect. Linkedin is a user information vaccuum, and twitter ownership will give musk a degree of media influence that the robber barons of old couldn't even dream of.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Discendo Vox posted:

I suspect the values to be extracted are indirect. Linkedin is a user information vaccuum, and twitter ownership will give musk a degree of media influence that the robber barons of old couldn't even dream of.

drat, no poo poo. 800 million users, and almost all of them, presumably, with some money to spend.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

LinkedIn owns. It's like staring into the belly of the capitalist beast.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying for Musk. I don't see how he intends to make a profit off of it. It's clearly a prestige/power move.

There's no way that LinkedIn is generating $26 billion in additional value for Microsoft.

LinkedIn also has some wild claims about their userbase that are almost certainly false. They claim that about 1/8th of the entire world has an account on LinkedIn and logs in at least once a month. And that half their users log in every day.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At the risk of overstatement, it basically comes down to "money is fake [for the rich] now," doesn't it?

It's irritating as poo poo that Elon Musk will spend $48 billion (on a whim!) and create nothing except for a few dollars in the pockets of their shareholders, when spending $48 billion on a new rail line might as well be asking for a manned mission to Saturn.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Manchin actually had a net change of -40 among West Virginia Democrats. That is a massive drop within your own party. He's at -10 favorability with them now.

He just has an enormous +41 net change among independents and +67 (!) net change among Republicans that puller him way ahead overall.

Manchin is now in a weird position where:

- National Democrats hate him.
- West Virginia Democrats used to love him, but are now moderately displeased with him.

- National Republicans are 50/50 on him.
- West Virginia Republicans absolutely love him.

- National Independents like him moderately well.
- West Virginia Independents really like him.

That is a pretty good position to be in to run as an Independent for Governor to set up a run as president in 4 years, or ride out as Republican Governor for life.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Approval doesn't equate to a vote. we've seen this time and time again.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yep.

Same as how you can get 80+% of people in favor of some kind of gun control or agreement that climate change is a serious problem, but only 2-3% say they would base their vote on those issues.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That's why the labels matter. Approval won't get most republicans to vote for a democrat but might sway them to vote for a free thinking independent known for sticking it to the libs.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Lib and let die posted:

LinkedIn owns. It's like staring into the belly of the capitalist beast.

I feel dirty whenever I use it, which, I have to for work related things.

Just blind allegiance to companies, posting takes from "business leaders," and insane self promotion. Everyone uses work portraits so I said gently caress it and made it me on a mountain.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The first book on the 2020 election and Biden presidency by NYT journalists is coming out soon and they have released a bunch of excerpts from it:

1) Jill Biden and many top Biden aides did not want Kamala Harris to be picked as VP. She was picked primarily because she had the most experience of any of the high-profile black women he was considering and he had made a point to select a non-white woman.

quote:

The reporters’ new book also delves into first lady Jill Biden’s frustration with Vice President Kamala Harris being tapped for the position after attacking Biden in the 2019 Democratic primary debates.

"'There are millions of people in the United States,' she began, according to the book. "‘Why,’ she asked, ‘do we have to choose the one who attacked Joe,'" the authors wrote of a conversation Jill Biden had after she learned Harris became a leading candidate to serve as Biden's running mate.

2) Mitch McConnell was really excited about January 6th because Trump had outlived his usefulness by getting kicked out of office and he thought this would fully discredit him on the way out.

quote:

“I feel exhilarated by the fact that this fellow finally, totally discredited himself,” McConnell told Jonathan Martin, one of the authors of a new book called “This Will Not Pass,” when asked about his feelings on the violence and the rioters.

Trump, the Kentucky Republican said, “was pretty thoroughly discredited by this.”

“He put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger,” he said, standing in a doorway of the Capitol after midnight. “Couldn’t have happened at a better time.”

“What do you hear about the Twenty-Fifth Amendment?” he asked Martin, eager for intelligence about whether the Cabinet and vice president might remove Trump from office, according to the book. Then McConnell said, according to the book, that he had spoken to Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) about issuing a joint statement telling Trump to stay away from the inauguration.

The portions of the book reviewed by The Post detail how leading Washington Republicans loathed or were skeptical of Trump behind the scenes — yet capitulated repeatedly to his demands, fearful of his powerful and loyal base and his ability to damage them politically. The book also illustrates how there were miscalculations by other Republicans about Trump and his ability to hold a grip on the party after the Jan. 6 deadly riot from a pro-Trump mob — and a misguided sense that the proverbial political fever would break.

The book also delves into some of the darker episodes of Trump’s presidency — and how he used his extraordinary powers against Democratic and Republican opponents, and what happened to many of them after he unleashed his fervent supporters.

Much of the book focuses on a cadre of powerful Washington Republicans, including McConnell, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (Calif.) and Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.), an erstwhile Trump ally who often vacillated in private. Throughout the book, countless Republicans bad-mouth Trump in private, highlighting his erraticism and devious behavior, only to heap praise on him publicly.

3) Trump had people advising him to mask up in public and promote masking in general, but he thought it made him look weak to his base and Biden was doing it, so he doubled down on being anti-mask.

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1518744261805719554

4) In a huge shock, Trump made fun of people, said racist things, and practiced bribes/transactional politics in private. Trump also loved the press despite his public statements.

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1518743855310458880

5) Trump refused to release hurricane disaster aid until the Governors of those states called him personally to ask him nicely and apologize for being mean to him in public. Only Florida and Texas were exempt from this policy.

quote:

Former president Donald Trump routinely forced governors to grovel and beg him personally for federal aid following natural disasters, according to a forthcoming book by a pair of New York Times reporters.

Jonathan Martin and Alex Burns learned from Maryland Governor Larry Hogan that Mr Trump had a policy which stated that only Texas and Florida — two states with GOP governors he considered to be close allies — would receive federal aid when needed without question.

Jonathan Martin and Alex Burns learned from Maryland Governor Larry Hogan that Mr Trump had a policy which stated that only Texas and Florida — two states with GOP governors he considered to be close allies — would receive federal aid when needed without question.

Mr Hogan told the authors that Mr Trump required the other 48 governors of American states to direct their requests to him personally.

“You have to call and ask me nicely,” he recalled Mr Trump saying.

One Democratic governor — Ned Lamont of Connecticut — discovered his Maryland counterpart’s description Mr Trump’s demand for personal requests was not at all exaggerated.

After an August 2020 storm left significant portions of his state without electrical power, Mr Lamont asked the White House for assistance in obtaining federal disaster aid.

When he received a call from Washington in response several hours later, it was not a White House aide on the other end of the line.

Instead, he found himself speaking with Mr Trump, who said: “There’s something you want me to ask about Fema?”

When Mr Lamont replied that he did, in fact, want to ask about Fema aid, Mr Trump replied: “Well, ask me nicely”.

The Connecticut governor told Mr Martin and Mr Burns that in that moment, he felt like Mr Zelensky during his infamous July 2019 call with Mr Trump, during which the American president demanded “a favour” after the Ukrainian leader asked to purchase additional Javelin anti-tank missiles.

He decided to play along, telling Mr Trump that his state was “in incredible distress” and said “it would mean a lot to the people that [he represents] every day” if Mr Trump “could bring it upon [himself]” to authorise 100 percent reimbursement of disaster aid through Fema.

In this instance, the forced sycophancy paid dividends for him.

Mr Trump replied: “You got it”.

6) One of the reasons Tammy Duckworth wasn't picked as VP is that they were concerned about being tied up in fake birther lawsuits because she was born in Thailand.

quote:

Trump’s political rise took root with his birther lie that Barack Obama was not born in the U.S.

Martin and Burns write how Duckworth impressed the Biden vice-presidential search team and “for a moment, it seemed the running mate might be Tammy Duckworth.”

Duckworth was born in Thailand; her mother was Thai and her father an American. Biden’s lawyers were worried that the Trump campaign or allies would go to court to claim she was not a “natural-born citizen.” They did not want a court battle.

Biden raised the matter with Duckworth, “gingerly … Duckworth pushed back hard on the Biden team, arguing that they should not preemptively surrender to the threat of birther-style litigation. She reminded them that she had been attacked in racist and xenophobic terms in past campaigns, and that she had prevailed.

“I’ve beaten every a--h--- who’s come after me with that,” she said. Biden’s reply was rueful. It’s not a question of whether you’re eligible, he said. It’s just a question of whether we want this to become a distraction in the campaign.

“The senator got the sense that Biden felt bad about the message he was conveying to her. His campaign was about to engage in a preemptive surrender to the most vicious of Donald Trump’s political tactics — to a version of the same lie that had made Trump a celebrity folk hero to the paranoid right.”

quote:

7) Everyone on the Biden campaign hated Rahm Emmanuel. Rahm also pushed Gretchen Whitmer for VP. Kamala Harris turned to Rahm for advice when she felt like she was being sidelined by Biden's people and that made people even more upset with her. Biden campaign staff and big donors looked to other candidates to start backing in case of an open primary 2024 before they were even inaugurated. The donors liked Mayor Pete, J.B. Pritzker, Phil Murphy, and Roy Cooper, but it isn't clear if any of them were interested in running for President.

Meanwhile, the book reveals, former Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who was Obama’s first chief of staff, was lobbying Biden to tap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer — who is white — for his running mate. Emanuel “stressed to Biden that Whitmer would lock down the Midwest. Emanuel argued that Whitmer’s race should not count against her.”

The book details Vice President Kamala Harris’ “unsettled place in the administration” as “other Democrats were already eyeing the 2024 race if Biden declined to run.”

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg “was a favorite of wealthy donors who wanted an alternative to Harris for 2024 or beyond. Several major governors who had battled Trump — including Phil Murphy, J.B. Pritzker and Roy Cooper — were making the rounds of Democratic contributors.”

Meanwhile, Harris, looking for advice “beyond her inner circle,” sought “counsel” from Emanuel, now Biden’s ambassador to Japan and MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough.

8) Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot threatened to pull police out of neighborhoods where two local alderman were pressuring her to defund the police. They stopped publicly attacking her for it after she did.

quote:

Mayor Lori Lightfoot “grew so frustrated with the pressure to slash police spending that she told fellow mayors she had threatened to pull the cops entirely out of two aldermanic districts where lawmakers were hectoring her administration with demands to defund the police... . In her telling, the left-wing officials backed down quickly.”

9) Biden is close with Bernie Sanders and several Senators he served with personally, but the other person in Congress he is closest to is a new, and relatively unknown, Representative from Missouri who was elected in 2018 named Lauren Underwood.

quote:

Biden campaigned for Underwood in St. Charles in October 2018, days before her first election. Later, Biden invited Underwood, then 32, to meet with him: “He counseled her on how to navigate a Congress that was inhospitable to young people, as it had been to him nearly a half century earlier.”

10) Donna Brazile was mad at Obama for not appointing enough black cabinet members and staff. Biden is has appointed more black staff and judges than any other President and part of it was due to pressure from Donna Brazile.

quote:

Former DNC chair Donna Brazile called Biden chief of staff Ron Klain to complain “about the lack of Black appointees.” Klain said they were “making progress.” Brazile “remembered well how the administration of the first Black president had been dominated by white men. On matters of diversity, Brazile shot back, Obama wasn’t exactly the gold standard for Black folks.”

11) After Biden's stimulus bill passed, Obama reportedly told Pelosi and others that he was jealous of Biden for having an easier time and a more compliant congress to pass his emergency stimulus bill than Obama did when he proposed his emergency stimulus bill (Obama is probably not saying that anymore).

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-new-book-disaster-aid-b2064141.html
https://www.ctinsider.com/news/article/Lamont-confirms-forthcoming-book-on-Trump-17126039.php
https://chicago.suntimes.com/columnists/2022/4/24/23040352/sen-tammy-duckworth-pushback-after-biden-rejects-her-vp-this-will-not-pass

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 26, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Harris seems completely wasted as VP, or I guess I should say the position of VP seems completely wasted on her. She's just gonna sit there presiding over the Senate and doing nothing outside tie breakers until her time is up one way or another.

Biden was picked by Obama for electoral reasons, but they eventually developed an actual working relationship. I don't know if the fact that that hasn't happened in this White House means that Biden is less cool than Obama, or Harris is less cool than Biden. Leaning exceptionally stronger towards the latter on that one.

e: It's good to hear that Harris not being the nominee in '24, if Biden can't run, is a priority for Biden, or at least was at some point.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 26, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mellow Seas posted:

What a piece of poo poo. He knows drat well that a demand for "bipartisanship" means "nothing," with the exception of what Republicans already agreed to: a bare-minimum expenditure to keep our interstate bridges from collapsing. (Honestly, it was surprising they agreed to that. And while only 17 GOP Senators voted for it, all of their members are in their home states/districts bragging about the funds "they" secured.)

And Republicans certainly aren't more likely to work with Democrats now that it's an election year.

He (along with Sinema, of course) has put the Democrats in such a difficult position for the midterms. How do you argue that your party never really had control of Congress when, on paper, you did? How do you distance yourself from the obviously GOP-aligned Dem Senators without reinforcing the bogus-but-pervasive narrative that "Democrats are too far left"?'

For that matter, how do you reconcile M&S's shittiness with the indisputable fact that KBJ would've never made it onto the court with McConnell as Majority Leader? Not to mention the dozens and dozens of other judges that have been confirmed, whose nominations would've gone to the next Republican President, if not for the narrow majority Manchin has provided?

They know exactly what they are doing, and they are clearly entirely enjoying it. They go to bed with satisfaction at a job well done, and lots of people them lots of money to do it. This is what people talk about with the uselessness and weakness of Democrats, and how decorum functions as nothing more but an excuse to do nothing or a weapon used exclusively against them and the left. How can the Democrats function as a political party when they have no way to prevent members from acting effectively as opposition to critical, landmark legislation? And how can they continue to complain about the ungrateful and uncooperative left that has given up everything for them?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They know exactly what they are doing, and they are clearly entirely enjoying it. They go to bed with satisfaction at a job well done, and lots of people them lots of money to do it. This is what people talk about with the uselessness and weakness of Democrats, and how decorum functions as nothing more but an excuse to do nothing or a weapon used exclusively against them and the left. How can the Democrats function as a political party when they have no way to prevent members from acting effectively as opposition to critical, landmark legislation? And how can they continue to complain about the ungrateful and uncooperative left that has given up everything for them?

No party in this country has a way to "prevent" members from doing what they want in the middle of a term, especially for someone as high up as a senator in a 50/50 Senate.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How can the Democrats function as a political party when they have no way to prevent members from acting effectively as opposition to critical, landmark legislation? And how can they continue to complain about the ungrateful and uncooperative left that has given up everything for them?
:rolleyes:

How can any political party prevent any of their members from doing anything? The GOP "can't" stop Liz Cheney from saying Trump deserves to be in jail. All they can do is primary her, which for a lot of reasons wouldn't work in West Virginia. And Sinema is going to get primaried to the extent I doubt she'll even try to run again.

This isn't about "The Democrats," it's about two Senators. How would you have felt about what the administration would've accomplished (even less) without Warnock and Ossoff winng their primaries? Would that be "the Democrats'" fault, too? Or is it just the fault of the people who voted against the administration's most ambitious policies - who, in the Senate, are 96% Republican?

e: A lot of people like to say "some posters can't handle criticism of the Democrats!" but the post you are replying to is criticism of Democrats. It's just not criticizing the people who actually wanted to do the right thing, because it's not their fault!

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 26, 2022

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

No party in this country has a way to "prevent" members from doing what they want in the middle of a term, especially for someone as high up as a senator in a 50/50 Senate.

And when that Senator is a democrat in a +40 republican state

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

If this is true, I don't see how it is possible for party politics to become a method of achieving the necessary change in the rapidly closing window to do so. Statistically speaking, it's going to be difficult to impossible to prevent further wreckers from slipping in.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Harold Fjord posted:

If this is true, I don't see how it is possible for party politics to become a method of achieving the necessary change in the rapidly closing window to do so. Statistically speaking, it's going to be difficult to impossible to prevent further wreckers from slipping in.
This is why large majorities lead to better outcomes than slight majorities. It's been the case in every elected body ever.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

9) Biden is close with Bernie Sanders and several Senators he served with personally, but the other person in Congress he is closest to is a new, and relatively unknown, Representative from Missouri who was elected in 2018 named Lauren Underwood.

Underwood is from IL, not MO; the Sun-Times story to which you linked states this.

And thank god Duckworth wasn't chosen as veep, in spite of her ticking all the idpol boxes. Harris is bad enough, and she proves that idpol isn't factored into favorability or approvals from voters.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Laughing at Kamala getting advice from loving Rahm of all people

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

If you same people keep getting tricked by the same tactics at what point are they also responsible and part of the problem is they don't know how to fight back against the tactics their enemy uses?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

Yeah, if your system can't stop wreckers from joining your team and wrecking things for you it's a bad system.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gumball Gumption posted:

If you same people keep getting tricked by the same tactics
Nobody is getting "tricked," they're trying the best with what they have. When you hear a Senator say "we're confident that Senator Manchin will be able to come to an agreement," that's not Charlie lining up to kick the football. It's political spin. Politicians are not any smarter than us, but they're not dumber, either.

Let's say it's January 2021, and the 48 other Dem Senators and Joe Biden say "we're not even going to bother talking to those jamokes - gently caress 'em!" What benefit would that have provided society, or the Democrats as an organization?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The right solved this problem by unifying all aligned media into a coordinated propaganda network, centralizing policy construction onto a few masterminds, and destroying deviators with lies. This is not something the left should do IMO

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

haveblue posted:

The right solved this problem by unifying all aligned media into a coordinated propaganda network, centralizing policy construction onto a few masterminds, and destroying deviators with lies. This is not something the left should do IMO
And they can't accomplish anything with a slim majority, either! Republicans cut taxes by 2 trillion, appoint judges, and whiff on everything else. Dems raise spending by 2 trillion, appoint judges, and whiff on everything else. Seems pretty symmetrical.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

Underwood is from IL, not MO; the Sun-Times story to which you linked states this.

And thank god Duckworth wasn't chosen as veep, in spite of her ticking all the idpol boxes. Harris is bad enough, and she proves that idpol isn't factored into favorability or approvals from voters.

The story says she is from St. Charles and I assumed St. Charles, MO. You're right that it is IL and not MO.

Duckworth seems better than Harris on a few important issues and in terms of making them the "obvious next in line" she would be slightly better in a long-game, meta sense.

Why do you think she would have been much worse than Harris? I can't really see a way the world would be better or worse with Duckworth as VP over Harris.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Can't the Democrats/DNC kick Manchin out of the party?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Nobody is getting "tricked," they're trying the best with what they have. When you hear a Senator say "we're confident that Senator Manchin will be able to come to an agreement," that's not Charlie lining up to kick the football. It's political spin. Politicians are not any smarter than us, but they're not dumber, either.

Let's say it's January 2021, and the 48 other Dem Senators and Joe Biden say "we're not even going to bother talking to those jamokes - gently caress 'em!" What benefit would that have provided society, or the Democrats as an organization?

Fine then, it's as simple as they can't meet their goals and they have had many chances and still can't meet them. As an example, Nancy Pelosi has been trying to deliver universal healthcare since 1987 as a representative and has failed to deliver. At what point does it become that they don't have the ability to deliver what they keep promising and we need to support new people to get results?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

koolkal posted:

Can't the Democrats/DNC kick Manchin out of the party?
Sure, but the sole effect would be to make Mitch McConnell Majority Leader, and the Democrats have managed to do a bunch of fairly important things (mostly related to cabinet/judicial appointments, most notably replacing the 83 year old Breyer) that they couldn't have done with McConnell as Majority Leader.