Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

boop the snoot posted:

I was born and raised in Florida. I hate it. Everything about it. I will never live there again and I will actually hold it against you if you choose to live there.

I hold it against Formula 1 for having a race there and this is a sport that races in Saudi Arabia.

I moved from Boston to Tampa in the late 90s.

I moved from Tampa to NYC in 1999. Miss the warm weather, don't miss much else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Miami is not Florida it's an important distinction people don't understand but I don't blame them.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Frond posted:

That was shot mostly in LA.

And the Ferrari Daytona was not a Ferrari Daytona.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

‘British’ is indeed a slur, but one that should be used

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Charles Leclerc posted:

And the Ferrari Daytona was not a Ferrari Daytona.

They did an appalling job on the Daytona in the first season, it just looks loving horrible. Maybe on a lovely 1980s CRT it was passable. By the second season it looks a bit better. Its a shame that the writing on the show tanks by the time Don Johnson get's the Testarossa.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

ethanol posted:

One thing I don’t understand are the rules on sim time. It limits cfd time right? How do they even verify a team only does a certain amount of finite element analysis. What’s to stop the team from just doing it in a back room and not telling anybody? All you need is a guy and a computer.

What I’m saying is Mercedes should give me their cad files and access to a super computer and a fluent license and 1 million dollar and I too can tell them the mesh still isn’t fine enough to model the porpoising

Without making too many assumptions about the enterprise infrastructure of an F1 team, there are many tools in place that operate at the hypervisor level which record utilization metrics of the VM's/services in the cluster. These tools are tiny and immutable and more commonly used for billing and accounting purposes (you can "rent" an enterprise license from a vendor like vmware that will bill you based on how hard you push the hardware).

This same accounting exists in cloud providers as well, and I'm sure given the deals F1 has with AWS there are probably incentives for the teams to push some of their workloads to the cloud that gives the teams both more computing power and allows F1 to more easily account for who is using what.

CFD on the level of an F1 team (especially operations as big as Merc) is going to require some big boi hardware and is probably not viable for a guy and a gaming rig in some backroom doing secret tests. The other thing to account for is the global chip shortage which has made it nigh-impossible to buy any enterprise grade hardware on a timescale less than 10-18 months in advance.

There is also the problem of correlation. You have to be able to test the data the CFD computer poops out in an irl windtunnel. If those numbers don't match up then it doesn't matter what you secret CFD says.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

You don't usually run HPC workloads on VM's since it gets expensive but you can still get logs and poo poo.

They probably don't even need the logs though because it's an honorable sport and no team would do anything questionable and bring it into disrepute.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Last I remember, high throughput computing love themselves some Docker.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Tbh it's not as complicated as you'd think. There's a technical document somewhere that tells you how you should calculate your spent allowance.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Full Collapse posted:

The regs make it a pain in the arse to account your usage if you go docker, which is why it is mostly run directly on the tin.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I'm not going to make further assumptions if Rebus is here to just tell us how it is.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

f1 seems ripe for that special naive tech bro disruption 'i bet no one has thought of THIS' says man who became aware of the thing last week, ignoring decades of preexisting work

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

f1 seems ripe for that special naive tech bro disruption 'i bet no one has thought of THIS' says man who became aware of the thing last week, ignoring decades of preexisting work

What, like Williams cars that bin themselves?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Elon Musk should buy Red Bull Racing and get involved in the day to day running

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Rebus posted:

The regs make it a pain in the arse to account your usage if you go docker, which is why it is mostly run directly on the tin.

Totally understand. Where I was, it was a bunch of cranky physicists with dubious code.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Tesla team when?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Full Collapse posted:

High throughput and high performance are kind of different things but it doesn't matter like Rebus said.

Also you probably have looked into it already but Singularity is cool for HPC workloads and is docker "like"

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Elon Musk should buy Red Bull Racing and get involved in the day to day running

no he'd probably want to start with a binman team like merc

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

‘British’ is indeed a slur, but one that should be used

Bitch please, if it weren't for our rampant colonialism you'd all be uncivilised monsters.

Don't be pissy because you severed and are now extremely butthurt that you aren't as free as a Citizen of Brexit. #RuleBritannia

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

italian quid posted:

They did an appalling job on the Daytona in the first season, it just looks loving horrible. Maybe on a lovely 1980s CRT it was passable. By the second season it looks a bit better. Its a shame that the writing on the show tanks by the time Don Johnson get's the Testarossa.

I just love that Are Enzo told them to gently caress off if they had ideas about getting one to trash for a TV series.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Elon doesn't need to be involved in sports since he's already fleecing taxpayers for billions

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Full Collapse posted:

Totally understand. Where I was, it was a bunch of cranky physicists with dubious code.

CFD teams aren't much different!

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

If you look in appendix 8 section 4 in the sporting regs you'll find the calculation for CFD usage. Bit of light reading for an evening.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

You say this derisively but Our Guenther did exactly this when Our Haas joined the sport! I bet no one thought of just buying the whole car from Ferrari

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Rebus posted:

If you look in appendix 8 section 4 in the sporting regs you'll find the calculation for CFD usage. Bit of light reading for an evening.

so is it safe to assume a team uses up all this comp time before the season even starts? is more time allotted over the course of a season, or this just like, given in bulk for any given year

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

ethanol posted:

so is it safe to assume a team uses up all this comp time before the season even starts? is more time allotted over the course of a season, or this just like, given in bulk for any given year

The year is split into periods of about 8 weeks - the limits are apportioned across the year into these periods, and are also now influenced by championship position (perform good get less WT and CFD allowance, perform poo poo and get more).

It's "use it or lose it" so if you aren't up against the limit at the end of the period then you can't carry it over, and if you use it all well in advance of the end of the period then you have a lot of aeros sat doing nothing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Very clever of Mercedes to get themselves more CFD allowance and wind tunnel time for Lewis's 8th WDC in 2023 by pretending to be poo poo all this year and finishing 5th

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Feeling #blessed again today and want to share my good vibes with my fellow F1 posters on this day of Our Ross.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edcGX50fWj8

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I found out the Ferrari V12s used in 1994 and 1995 benefitted from a tech transfer from Honda's 3.5L V12 designs signed in 1993. Interesting to say the least.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Frond posted:

I found out the Ferrari V12s used in 1994 and 1995 benefitted from a tech transfer from Honda's 3.5L V12 designs signed in 1993. Interesting to say the least.

I don't know what this means so I'm going to assume that Ferrari was cheating in 1994 and 1995.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You say this derisively but Our Guenther did exactly this when Our Haas joined the sport! I bet no one thought of just buying the whole car from Ferrari

Let's all raise a glass to Otmar Szafnauer for presumably going "Right then guys, why don't we just simply copy the Mercedes and then do the workings for the FIA after?"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

learnincurve posted:

Let's all raise a glass to Otmar Szafnauer for presumably going "Right then guys, why don't we just simply copy the Mercedes and then do the workings for the FIA after?"

to be fair it worked and he went to Alpine when it stopped working

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

if you're a customer team be a customer team. simple as.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Pook Good Mook posted:

3 British students who wanted to throw in a one-day visit to Yosemite when they were staying in LA.

It takes a good portion of the day just to get to /and back from the populated area of Yosemite Valley from the park's entrance. JFC.

Also, English people at US national parks suck. Stop sulking around in a circle at your campfire and talk to your neighbors. Be social.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

early video of the f1 motorcade making their way around the miami gp track
https://twitter.com/allushiii_new/status/1518529888449400838?s=20&t=3xKqDmnJWK7WUMTTQ6YwGA

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Charles Leclerc posted:

Bitch please, if it weren't for our rampant colonialism you'd all be uncivilised monsters.
more evidence that british is a slur, meaning horrible racist

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Grimson posted:

early video of the f1 motorcade making their way around the miami gp track
https://twitter.com/allushiii_new/status/1518529888449400838?s=20&t=3xKqDmnJWK7WUMTTQ6YwGA

I see the Mercedes spinning out at 15s in

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Charles Leclerc posted:

#RuleBritannia

:jail:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Charles Leclerc posted:

Don't be pissy because you severed and are now extremely butthurt that you aren't as free as a Citizen of Brexit. #RuleBritannia

elon didn't buy the forums op