Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Why were so many of the old timey rifles hexagonal in shape? Was it just easier to bash together six strips of metal into a tube vs rolling it into a cylinder?

Didn't have good lathes, so making them round is hard, easier to just file them flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

By popular demand posted:

That was a terrible accident, are you sure you posted in the right forum?

Yes, it was a terrible accident but it wasn't out of line with things Mick Foley willingly did to himself in the interest of getting a crowd reaction and it worked with the story being told in the match. If you include Foley getting thrown off the cage though the announcer's table earlier in the match, that's probably the most famous moment in professional wrestling. And its even decent composition of the photo.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Here's a break-action quad barrel shotgun:

The idea was to make a cheap, easily produced gun, that could be air dropped in to resistance fighters.

It has only 1 trigger, with a rotating firing pin. Every trigger pull rotates the pin to the next barrel in line. Pew pew!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It's badass that Mick Foley survived that but it is not badass that it happened or the treatment of professional wrestlers by Vince McMahon.

By far my favorite celebrity encounter was when I met Mick Foley in Chandigarh because he was staying at the same hotel I was. One of the friendliest dudes I have ever met.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Phanatic posted:

By far my favorite celebrity encounter was when I met Mick Foley in Chandigarh because he was staying at the same hotel I was. One of the friendliest dudes I have ever met.

I've heard so many stories of just now nice he is irl

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does it work better than a shotgun? No.
Does it make people poo poo themselves in fear? Absolutely.
Each barrel is rifled, meaning you get a tighter grouping (and thus longer range) than you get from loading multiple subcalibre projectiles into a single barrel.

Panfilo posted:

Why were so many of the old timey rifles hexagonal in shape? Was it just easier to bash together six strips of metal into a tube vs rolling it into a cylinder?
You start out with a square bar, and bore a hole into it. You could leave it like that (with a square cross-section), but it would be very heavy. Milling away the corners makes it lighter without reducing strength but doing that takes effort, so sometimes they split the difference and leave it hexagonal.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Intruder Alert!
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_raa72751781r0uzl6.mp4

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lmao

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The video cuts abruptly, did the tortoise win?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

The video cuts abruptly, did the tortoise win?

Yes.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Zombie Guy posted:

Here's a break-action quad barrel shotgun:

The idea was to make a cheap, easily produced gun, that could be air dropped in to resistance fighters.

It has only 1 trigger, with a rotating firing pin. Every trigger pull rotates the pin to the next barrel in line. Pew pew!

That's loving rad

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Where can I buy an attack tortoise?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Robobot posted:

Where can I buy an attack tortoise?

So... uh... that tortoise is not attacking in the most typical sense of the word. It's trying to mate with what it sees as another tortoise.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

spookykid posted:

So... uh... that tortoise is not attacking in the most typical sense of the word. It's trying to mate with what it sees as another tortoise.

So that is why they called it Quentin.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1514415891227815940?s=21&t=hwYJTiAlw_18E58i-TLbOw

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
A marching bad making EDM is pretty bad rear end

https://twitter.com/MEUTE_official/status/1509216993873911817?s=20&t=1683jJI-GgX2I9CIUuRUjQ

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

That goon who tried to walk across the USA and made it half a day is a marching band now?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
From the Ukraine thread....
Slava...!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the audio isn't as badass as the video
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r87ttjlblB1rd9hsl.mp4

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

It's dorky as poo poo but I seriously loving miss marching band some days.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boars sure are something
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rauloyLj841r0uzl6.mp4

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Either super boar or lovely copper gate, but I'm going with super boar just based on that leap alone.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Jesus Christ, imagine if there had been 29-49 more of them!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I now realize that a single man with even a high-powered rifle would be woefully underequipped to deal with 50 feral hogs.

Can't wait until the hogs rule Texas.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ror posted:

I now realize that a single man with even a high-powered rifle would be woefully underequipped to deal with 50 feral hogs.

:razorback: :razorfront: :razorback: :razorfront:

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Zil posted:

Either super boar or lovely copper gate, but I'm going with super boar just based on that leap alone.

No, that looks about right for an animal that has evolved to attack like a battering ram. They're bulky and strong as hell. If it's wandering alone around a populated area, there's no telling what it might get up to. It definitely didn't like the look of that gate, though. Then again, might be there's something in that garden that smelled particularly appetizing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Quill posted:

No, that looks about right for an animal that has evolved to attack like a battering ram. They're bulky and strong as hell. If it's wandering alone around a populated area, there's no telling what it might get up to. It definitely didn't like the look of that gate, though. Then again, might be there's something in that garden that smelled particularly appetizing.

Pigs barging into a private residence with no regard to common decency? Must be looking to obtain some civil forfeiture.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/krizisonline/status/1518610687978659840?s=21&t=yYrz2ybjQY4Fm9Vvwr-sHQ
Getting some real 🇵🇭 pride seeing this.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

That's really cool to see

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ror posted:

Soon

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

That's really cool to see

It is cool, but this is my first time encountering the word "tinikling" or seen that kind of routine. Is it one of those things that has just missed me or is it a newish practice?

edit: Oh! it's a Filipino thing apparently. Not a lot of Filipinos in my neck of the woods, so maybe that would explain why I hadn't encountered it.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

marshmallow creep posted:

It is cool, but this is my first time encountering the word "tinikling" or seen that kind of routine. Is it one of those things that has just missed me or is it a newish practice?

edit: Oh! it's a Filipino thing apparently. Not a lot of Filipinos in my neck of the woods, so maybe that would explain why I hadn't encountered it.

Now you need to go try pancit.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I read that as tinkling to lil Nas X and I was like gently caress yeah I do that everyday

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Ror posted:

They don't already?

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
The first chapter of the latest Neal Stephenson book is 30-50 feral hogs, driven mad by global warming, killing a Texas rancher's kid. The rancher, filled with guilt and thoughts of revenge, goes on an ahabesque quest to hunt the leader of the pack down and kill him. Later he fucks the queen of the Netherlands.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Robobot posted:

Now you need to go try pancit.

With like 4-6 lumpia.

Half my old workforce was Filipino and going to family parties with them I swear has taken 7-10 years off my life.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Borscht posted:

The first chapter of the latest Neal Stephenson book is 30-50 feral hogs, driven mad by global warming, killing a Texas rancher's kid. The rancher, filled with guilt and thoughts of revenge, goes on an ahabesque quest to hunt the leader of the pack down and kill him. Later he fucks the queen of the Netherlands.

The rancher or the lead boar fucks the Queen?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Ror posted:

LP forum worked it out a few years ago. Only a fully automatic grenade launcher is sufficient for hog defense

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Inceltown posted:

The rancher or the lead boar fucks the Queen?

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. But you don't have to take my word for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I love these forums.