Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't really agree. I'm sure everyone has some complaints for how the Ippo x Kumi romance went for about 800 chapters but they're dating for real now so that's behind us. Kumi has realized, just like everyone else, that Ippo is inevitably going to box again. She really doesn't want that to happen and there's nothing she can do about it so she's just kind of dreading the day hoping it doesn't come. If I'm forgetting something specifically passive aggressive, forgive me. Ippo doesn't realize yet that he's going to box again yet and Kumi doesn't want to help him to see the obvious, which I can sympathize with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The glares are funny

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The glares are funny

Brave post, but I agree with it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Seriously, are people really getting worked up about Kumi realizing Ippo still loves boxing and probably will want to box again, and not particularly feeling great about it after everything he's been through?

But since he's still not realized himself that he is going to want to box again she's not bringing it up for obvious reasons.

She's not being passive aggressive, she has flat out told him before she doesn't want him to box anymore.

She's just realizing how it's still in him, in a way he doesn't even and feels a type a way about it.

Also yeah it's funny

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

No Wave posted:

I don't really agree. I'm sure everyone has some complaints for how the Ippo x Kumi romance went for about 800 chapters but they're dating for real now so that's behind us. Kumi has realized, just like everyone else, that Ippo is inevitably going to box again. She really doesn't want that to happen and there's nothing she can do about it so she's just kind of dreading the day hoping it doesn't come. If I'm forgetting something specifically passive aggressive, forgive me. Ippo doesn't realize yet that he's going to box again yet and Kumi doesn't want to help him to see the obvious, which I can sympathize with.

They're supposed to be dating? Does Ippo know this??

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Do we even see Kumi actually enjoying her time with Ippo and having fun anymore?

It feels like every single time she appears, something boxing-related is happening while she's giving Ippo and friends an evil eye in the background

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
She's justifiably paranoid about Ippo starting the box again, because he loving is and he's the only one who thinks otherwise

That being said, she's still a weenie for being just as wishy washy about their relationship as Ippo is. But in a (tortured, possibly unhealthy) way that means they're made for each other!

I do think Ippo is going to need to be triggered into boxing again by some major thing instead of just gradually slipping back into it, though.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Huzzah! posted:

Chapter 1379
Kumi with the hard hitting question. Just straight to it.

I read your post thinking there was going to finally be some progress in their relationship :negative:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Vizuyos posted:

Do we even see Kumi actually enjoying her time with Ippo and having fun anymore?

It feels like every single time she appears, something boxing-related is happening while she's giving Ippo and friends an evil eye in the background

This is kinda how I see it as well. While the Mashiba family Death Glares are almost always funny, the more it happens the more I'm just like if all you're going to do is worry and not educate your dumb as bricks boyfriend that "blocking punches with your face is a bad style of boxing to learn why not shift to a different style or get an actual good coach to learn from"?

For me it's just accepting how Morikawa wants Kumi to be written, but I tend to have a difficult time interpreting her motivations while rooted in genuine caring comes across as being wishy washy or just fear that Ippo would somehow dump her.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Rubellavator posted:

This is the best Kumi has ever been.

This guy gets it.

Also Woli is the most amazing thing about this manga because every single thing about him reminds me that I'm reading a manga from the 80s.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Maybe Ashita no Joe exists in-universe and she read it and rather not see Ippo become Joe

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

This guy gets it.

Also Woli is the most amazing thing about this manga because every single thing about him reminds me that I'm reading a manga from the 80s.

Are you implying that a monkey boy, born in the jungle lived in a cave, WOULDN'T be able to instantly commune with Japanese park squirrels? Because if so wow racist :livintrope:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
They're in New York aren't they

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yes, but those squirrels in particular are from Japan. It is their burning samurai spirit that allows them to befriend humans in the first place also I forgot :japan:

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
I've been doing a re-read of the series and got to the chapter where Kumi learns about Ippo's father and his reasons for boxing at the same time this new chapter hit.

I think she knows very well that Ippo still hasn't found his answer to, "What it means to be strong," but Ippo also told her that he'd keep going until he wasn't able to go any further. Ippo retiring due to injury would be a reasonable time for her to assume that he'd accepted that he'd reached the end of that journey but it's clear to her now that it's not the case. It would be a hard thing to accept.

But I agree with people here. She comes across as an antagonistic force and as holding Ippo back. A satisfying resolution to this would be that, despite her reservations, Kumi is the one to remind Ippo of his dream and desire. Maybe she has a conversation with Date's wife about it, I don't know. As it is now Kumi just seems dreadful.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Not sure if it was posted here but somebody posted footage of their fan-made 2D fighter that was never finished and drat I would play the hell out of it

https://twitter.com/PontonFSD/status/1517031124324790273?t=bL3_JpLS3SWdofq7YiK4JA&s=19

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Good soup! posted:

Maybe Ashita no Joe exists in-universe and she read it and rather not see Ippo become Joe

the doctor ippo goes to when he thinks he has cte is named the exact same as the doctor that tells joe he has cte lol

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

Not sure if it was posted here but somebody posted footage of their fan-made 2D fighter that was never finished and drat I would play the hell out of it

https://twitter.com/PontonFSD/status/1517031124324790273?t=bL3_JpLS3SWdofq7YiK4JA&s=19

Would also be extremely on board. Parries and counters and everybody's named signature move being a giant Marvel Vs Capcom cutscene pose :allears:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

tbp posted:

the doctor ippo goes to when he thinks he has cte is named the exact same as the doctor that tells joe he has cte lol

:eyepop: hahahaha whaaaat, that's amazing

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Chapter 1380

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
i was thinking oh she’s breaking up with him but oh wait they were never in one. How old is ippo the fact hes still acting like that

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Shindragon posted:

i was thinking oh she’s breaking up with him but oh wait they were never in one. How old is ippo the fact hes still acting like that

He should be around 45 if this manga started in the 80s

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Ippo is just a social anxiety disorder. He can barely express himself to his boys, much less a girl.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Ippo is just a social anxiety disorder. He can barely express himself to his boys, much less a girl.
This is kind of how he's introduced in the first chapters as well, a bullied antisocial boy who finds the ability to express himself in the language of Fist. So at least his character is consistent

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

He'll learn what it means to be strong when he gets the courage to tell her he loves her.

Or the Baki route where he'll really become strong after they gently caress.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
You gotta cut off his massive hog and count the rings to get his age

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
This is designed to just spin its wheels forever and let Morikawa milk it until he dies, you shouldn't expect anything to actually happen

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Flesnolk posted:

This is designed to just spin its wheels forever and let Morikawa milk it until he dies, you shouldn't expect anything to actually happen

Well with the unfortunate lifespans of Manga writers/artists he may not live too much longer.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

:hmmyes:

Centzon Totochtin posted:

You gotta cut off his massive hog and count the rings to get his age

On the plus side it would let him drop a weight class :wink:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Of course there's nobody else in Mexico for Volg and Wolli to spar with.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
So Ippo is doing better as a boxer without the coaches help. how interesting.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ippo's wrists are strong from cranking off his massive hog

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Wally gonna get hit by the car, Ricardo's manager goes for a Rocky style publicity stunt last second card change, Ippo gets roped into an exhibition match with the world champ

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
LOLing at how Ippo learned to counter approximately 1 picosecond after Kamogawa stopped training him

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Still not sure how deliberate or aware Morikawa is that all of this buildup of Ippo turning into a God Boxer through retirement makes Kamogawa seem really really lovely

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Everyone knows Jump characters reach peak power when they get more relaxed, Ippo as a boxer had no chill. He was wearing weighted training clothes of performance anxiety.

E:there's a giant hog joke here and I wish I had it but :justpost:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think it's less that Kamogawa is miserable as a coach and more that he could not single handedly teach Ippo everything he needed to be a world class boxer

I haven't had any intensive mentoring experience, so I I don't know how it works in real life, but it stands to reason that you can't force someone to figure out things that are counter-intuitive to them, unless you are a particularly sneaky sonofabitch and gifted as a teacher. And frankly, if Kamogawa was able to turn Ippo--stupid, shy, anxious Ippo--into a Takamura-class threat almost entirely on his own, that'd be the crazier of the two outcomes.

Not everyone can be the cool martial arts sensei from the awesome fight movie

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

OnimaruXLR posted:

I haven't had any intensive mentoring experience, so I I don't know how it works in real life, but it stands to reason that you can't force someone to figure out things that are counter-intuitive to them, unless you are a particularly sneaky sonofabitch and gifted as a teacher.
Having had cursory software-engineering mentorship experience, I can at least say with certainty that this is true. When it comes to understanding things that aren't pure facts (e.g. how does an if case work, vs why is this practice better than that for a team of 10 people) If you just tell someone what they need to know, they could understand but will likely not, or may even entrench themselves in the opposite opinion. Your better bet is to show them through practice.

But some people are just not wired to see things a certain way. The two classic SE example is overestimating the importance of code performance, and avoiding large bloating projects. I've had colleagues that, no matter how many times they fall into the same trap, they just never learn, or learnings come very very slowly and are discarded if they get frustrated trying to change their previous patterns. If you try to tell them the conclusion they should be learning, it just makes things worse and they get defensive. The most successful way of budging a person like this seems to me to be competition - get his colleagues into the happy wonderland of doing things right, show everyone how happy they are in the happy wonderland, and they'll eventually want to get on board. But it's a lot harder to do this in a sport like boxing where you only get a few real matches and a loss is very bad to your career. It's easier in, say, soccer, where teams might play 30+ matches a year with more skilled teams.

With Ippo the manga is pretty clear that Kamogawa is adapting his training to Ippo's limited tactical understanding but strong muscles, reflexes and persistence. I don't think this excuse for Kamogawa holds up though because Ippo has a lot of trust and faith in Kamogawa, and thinks deeply about all his lessons. So when he ends up practially discarding the basics of boxing for a totally single-track caveman style, I just can't see this as not being a coaching failure. Ippo rushing headfirst into a flurry of fists trying to land the Big Blow is a result of being railroaded into that as his only win condition. His final match makes this crystal clear, where he throws the entire match against a chump by taking stupid unnecessary risks trying to show off his dempsey roll, just as he was previously winning the match by just doing basic competent boxing.

So Kamogawa's coaching overall has some merit to it on a higher level, but he makes too many mistakes and gets Ippo stuck in one path that eventually casts aside the basics of boxing and ends up with brain damage. He has the potential to be a fantastic coach considering how far he took Ippo, but just fucks it up.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 17, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ They might just not be good programmers. I'm a bad programmer who knows all the right ideas, but in practice stuff always goes wrong (because I just don't have the ability to execute those ideas). I'll always tell myself "I'm going to do things right this time" before starting some new task, only for things to inevitably go off the rails.

Bisse posted:

This is kind of how he's introduced in the first chapters as well, a bullied antisocial boy who finds the ability to express himself in the language of Fist. So at least his character is consistent

Ippo's love language is going to get him arrested on domestic violence charges, which the judge will then dismiss because of his yamato damashii.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
If Ippo were an impossible-to-coach dunderhead he wouldn't have had this alleged massive spike in skill/insight within a few months of retirement. If anything the post retirement arc begs the question of what Takamura could have been with a coach as good as he is gifted.