Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's cause im eating chips and my hearing has gone to poo poo cause of concerts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

It's cause im eating chips and my hearing has gone to poo poo cause of concerts.

Sound mixer spotted

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dog_Meat posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being Mr "Tactical Realism" here. But tonally it didn't work for me because you either have the urban legend bat monster that nobody really knows anything about and becomes a bogeyman or you have a guy who literally walks around in his air-soft outfit with bat ears in the workplace and nobody says a thing because he's a useful genius (think Sherlock Holmes clowning the police but being tolerated because he delivers).

Except a lot of the detectives and cops on the scene DID go out of their way to "say things", repeatedly, and voiced their displeasure about his presence every time it's shown. The film even made a point to emphasize it and showed Gordon being his lone defender, telling everyone to chill. "What the gently caress is HE doing here?" was a recurring theme.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
not gunna lie, it's loving me up this has the same rating on letterboxd as citizen kane, lawrence of arabia and strangelove

thanks, i hate it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

not gunna lie, it's loving me up this has the same rating on letterboxd as citizen kane, lawrence of arabia and strangelove

thanks, i hate it

lol

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I think the comics have gotten to understand that Batman works best at crimescenes when he's not being seen, blending in with the shadows, or when it's just him and Gordon. If it's a room full of cops and CSI's and he's standing in the middle of the room like an awkward weirdo it doesn't quite work, unless of course your goal is to portray The Batman as an awkward weirdo.

One of the things that annoy me a bit is that the film can't decide if it wants a competent scary batman or a violent buffoon batman. Like he's got moments of competence where he solves the cyphers and some of the riddles (Thumb drive, heh) and then he completely whiffs it with things like Rat with Wings (who hears that and doesn't immediately think of a bat?). Or he'll have a scenes where he's an unstoppable force, and then followed by scenes of him being an awkward weirdo. Hell the scene with penguin in the flipped car has both!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jakabite posted:

I don’t need to see the Wayne’s getting murdered again, but I would have liked some of the slow walking scenes taken out and maybe replaced with something that endeared a single character to the audience at all. That little cop with the moustache was the most likeable character and I hate cops.
True, they don't need to literally show the murder, but it's important to communicate its emotional impact and how it drives Batman. For instance, they could have had something like a kid who went through a similar trauma, having found his father's dead body, perhaps. In some of these slow moody scenes they could have Batman just staring at this kid, and let the audience think about what must be going through his head.

I suppose there's some risk to something like that, since, while it's far from subtle, I guess people could mistake it for just another randomly slow scene and not feel its significance since it's not being spelled out with dialog.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

the sequential scenes about Batman learning about Thomas and the reporter were the only thing I didn't care about or thought could have been cut. there was a little tension there where the audience and Bruce thought Thomas Wayne could be a Bad Guy, but even if he was, that didn't have much to do with the Stop the Riddler plot.
didn't much care for that part.

That was the only part where the mystery was interesting to me. We already know Gotham is corrupt from every Batman movie ever. For a few moments, it looked like the movie was going to do something new (for the movies, anyway) and have Bruce have to struggle with the fact that all of his vigilante money and resources were built on a foundation of crime. The moment Alfred hand waved it all away, and Bruce just went with it was the moment that I knew the movie wasn’t interested in giving us anything really new for the character to deal with.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

McCloud posted:

Hell the scene with penguin in the flipped car has both!

If you're taking about the part where he stooped down and poked his head into penguins car window, that was him being scary rather than weird.

I've seen more than enough horror films to spot that the upside down walk bit is supposed to elicit the vibes of the "killer/monster" causally closing in for the kill on their prey.

I thought it was a pretty awesome depiction of Batman actually being a monster.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

McCloud posted:

I think the comics have gotten to understand that Batman works best at crimescenes when he's not being seen, blending in with the shadows, or when it's just him and Gordon. If it's a room full of cops and CSI's and he's standing in the middle of the room like an awkward weirdo it doesn't quite work, unless of course your goal is to portray The Batman as an awkward weirdo.

One of the things that annoy me a bit is that the film can't decide if it wants a competent scary batman or a violent buffoon batman. Like he's got moments of competence where he solves the cyphers and some of the riddles (Thumb drive, heh) and then he completely whiffs it with things like Rat with Wings (who hears that and doesn't immediately think of a bat?). Or he'll have a scenes where he's an unstoppable force, and then followed by scenes of him being an awkward weirdo. Hell the scene with penguin in the flipped car has both!

I thought that was part of its charm, honestly. The bits where he's at a crime scene I thought were pulled off way better then the Nolan scenes where he's in the bank or at the bat signal skylight and I thought it was cool how the film actually addressed it with the cops and their "wtf is Batman doing here? gently caress him" reactions.

I also liked how weird he was portrayed and didn't always have all the answers or the right gadget for the situation. The film kind of leaned into his weirdness and, for people that want "grounded" Batman poo poo, actually spent time with that. And every now and then, he IS a complete and total badass who still pulls it off. He was a loving BRUTAL psycho in the first 1/3 of the movie and I loving loved it but it was cool how in the next scenes he could be a complete gently caress up too and was mentioned openly as being entirely out of place or not belonging there.

My main complaint about the film is what everyone else said about its pacing. Three hours was a bit much and i'm glad I watched it in two parts.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

McCloud posted:

It's like the Walking Dead except instead of being in a world where no zombie movies exist it's in a world where no one saw Batman Returns.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
in some instances batemang can nearly fly thanks to his epic grapple gun, in others he cant. his squirrel suit was cool also, as was him hurting himself badly upon landing lol. overall pretty good flight sequence.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

ghostwritingduck posted:

That was the only part where the mystery was interesting to me. We already know Gotham is corrupt from every Batman movie ever. For a few moments, it looked like the movie was going to do something new (for the movies, anyway) and have Bruce have to struggle with the fact that all of his vigilante money and resources were built on a foundation of crime. The moment Alfred hand waved it all away, and Bruce just went with it was the moment that I knew the movie wasn’t interested in giving us anything really new for the character to deal with.

I agree! but they didn't do that and so it was pointless in retrospect. i thought that part of the movie was just put together strangely. it set the stakes up and then took them away very quickly.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010

Eiba posted:

For instance, they could have had something like a kid who went through a similar trauma, having found his father's dead body, perhaps. In some of these slow moody scenes they could have Batman just staring at this kid, and let the audience think about what must be going through his head.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this post, but isn't this literally in the movie with the mayor's kid?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dog_Meat posted:

I feel like this film demonstrates what I've been saying for some time. Batman as a detective working with the police just doesn't work in live action without looking silly.

Even as someone who knows the Batman mythos, you're looking at an overworked police department being ok with a mental patient in a gimp suit walking around a crime scene and dropping in and out whenever it suits him.

The entire film is constructed around demonstrating that Batman is exactly like the Riddler, a loser who wears a homemade garbage bag suit and is generally played as someone with a severe developmental disorder that didn't get proper treatment. It may not have worked for you but Batman's portrayal as a goofy awkward weirdo was very much the point.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hoop Dreams posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this post, but isn't this literally in the movie with the mayor's kid?
Yes. I was, perhaps too sarcastically, making the point that we had been given emotional reasons to understand with Batman's motivation. Maybe the reasons were ineffective the the original poster, but they were there.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Eiba posted:

Yes. I was, perhaps too sarcastically, making the point that we had been given emotional reasons to understand with Batman's motivation. Maybe the reasons were ineffective the the original poster, but they were there.

i thought it was a good post. there aren't musical swells in this movie in moments like that.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Eiba posted:

True, they don't need to literally show the murder, but it's important to communicate its emotional impact and how it drives Batman. For instance, they could have had something like a kid who went through a similar trauma, having found his father's dead body, perhaps. In some of these slow moody scenes they could have Batman just staring at this kid, and let the audience think about what must be going through his head.

I suppose there's some risk to something like that, since, while it's far from subtle, I guess people could mistake it for just another randomly slow scene and not feel its significance since it's not being spelled out with dialog.

Cheers smart arse, but again you’ve missed the point. I know he was sad about his parents, and I knew how it drove him. I just didn’t care, because there wasn’t anything else to his character.

‘Yep, this scene sure shows how Batman, played by Robert Pattinson, is sad about his parents dying. He seems like an interesting guy, looking forward to getting more invested in this character!’

But that never happens. Batman could’ve died midway through the film and I wouldn’t have felt even a tiny bit of sadness (same with any of the characters) because none of these characters felt like even slightly real people, let alone likeable ones you can become invested in the fate of. And this isn’t anything to do with not being an Intelligent Film Enjoyer like yourself OP

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean, you must realize on some level that Batman movies are for people who like Batman, and they basically aren’t written for or directed towards adult men in their 40’s who don’t care about Batman. It’s like saying “I don’t like football, and here I am watching this football movie about football, wondering why I should care about football!” The issue is with you going to see a Batman movie and not liking Batman, not that the Batman movie didn’t give you enough reasons to care about Batman. Everyone else in the theatre knows why they are there.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Nah, that’s a cop out. Especially cos I do like Batman, when he’s in a good movie. TDK was awesome, and a lot of the older ones are fun. The games also rule. I like that they didn’t go too much into the lore, but if your film just assumes that I’m gonna care about this version of Batman because it’s Batman, it’s a bad and lazy film and essentially just fan-wank. There’s a difference between liking Batman and being so invested that a character being called ‘Bruce Wayne’ and wearing the suit is enough character development for you. That’s cool, but it isn’t for most people.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

I mean, you must realize on some level that Batman movies are for people who like Batman, and they basically aren’t written for or directed towards adult men in their 40’s who don’t care about Batman. It’s like saying “I don’t like football, and here I am watching this football movie about football, wondering why I should care about football!” The issue is with you going to see a Batman movie and not liking Batman, not that the Batman movie didn’t give you enough reasons to care about Batman. Everyone else in the theatre knows why they are there.

Not wanting to derail too much, but a lot of people enjoyed Man of Steel without knowing much about Superman outside of cultural influence because it made you follow a character and kept you interested. When it comes to the Bale Batman films I only really like Begins because it makes me interested in the character of Bruce and his return.

I'm a lot more knowledgeable than your casual comic fan (mainly through browsing the BSS sub forum) but I'm by no means the target audience for Marvel/DC films. I appreciated some of what this film was trying to do, but ultimately it failed to engage me at all outside of some cool visuals and brutal fights. The Punisher series scratched my itch for nasty violence and had characters I cared about.

I agree with a lot of the thread - we don't need to see Batman's origin for the hundredth time and in the age of commercially successful comic movies it's reasonable to expect someone to come in knowing what they're getting into. I was happy to see a new take on something I'm familiar with and was happy with a lot of it, but ultimately I just... got bored?

Maybe it's because I went in not knowing much, so I was expecting this "grittier, more real" film to be more like Joker 2019 and ended up with something that felt more like a cross between The Crow and Birdman. I want to take parts of this film and use it differently. I kinda like psychotic weirdo Bruce, but have it as Alfred's film and him trying to deal with his increasingly weird, intense not-son or follow Gordon trying to keep it together while his involvement with a vigilante gets out of hand and threatens everything he's worked for.

Actually - while I'm rambling... I think it has the same problem I had with Watchmen. A great story about how crazy it would be to have narcissistic psychos running around in costumes beating up criminals and how awkward it would be in a real world, but then putting it in a movie with crazy kung fu and comic book logic (giant blue god aside)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dog_Meat posted:

Maybe it's because I went in not knowing much, so I was expecting this "grittier, more real" film to be more like Joker 2019 and ended up with something that felt more like a cross between The Crow and Birdman. I want to take parts of this film and use it differently. I kinda like psychotic weirdo Bruce, but have it as Alfred's film and him trying to deal with his increasingly weird, intense not-son or follow Gordon trying to keep it together while his involvement with a vigilante gets out of hand and threatens everything he's worked for.

Actually - while I'm rambling... I think it has the same problem I had with Watchmen. A great story about how crazy it would be to have narcissistic psychos running around in costumes beating up criminals and how awkward it would be in a real world, but then putting it in a movie with crazy kung fu and comic book logic (giant blue god aside)

I take your point about Superman, but that’s because Superman has less than half as many movies and Clark Kent has basically half as much backstory as Bruce Wayne.

One of the reasons I absolutely loved this movie was because it just felt like The Crow, and The Crow is one of the best flicks ever. We don’t get too many goth action movies, I’m glad to add this to the canon.

If you really felt that way about Watchmen, you GOTTA watch the HBO TV series. It’s a direct sequel to the Alan Moore comic book storyline, not the Zack Snyder film, and it’s basically exactly what you’re describing wanting.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

gurgeh easily, he was dunking people that actually knew what the gently caress they were doing, unlike The Batman that doesn't realize riddler was making fun of him

I watched Moonfall last night and it made me realize that The Batman may have some pretty shots, but even beyond the failures of the film through score/dialog/whatever, there's a core failure here in that the movie isn't actually enjoyable. It falls in that middle ground of movies so thoroughly mediocre that there's both nothing good enough to make you happy to watch it, but nothing so bad that it's at least entertaining to laugh at. If you're going to make a 3 hour batman movie, add something new and interesting!! This film just takes "I hate that I'm like the god damned Joker" from Nolan's broody batman and makes it "I hate that I'm like the god damned Riddler (whom we made like the joker already)"

I don't really see myself rewatching the Batman bc of its length and it being so plot driven knowing how it ends ruins alot of the interest, but I can see it playing in the background while I work just because of the visuals and moody music. It very much has a distinct vibe.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

i thought it was a good post. there aren't musical swells in this movie in moments like that.

There are, however, Kurt Cobain mumbles

e: Batman is trapped in a giant version of Monopoly by the Mad Hatter to the strains of Kurt Cobain muttering about pharmaceuticals

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

If you really felt that way about Watchmen, you GOTTA watch the HBO TV series. It’s a direct sequel to the Alan Moore comic book storyline, not the Zack Snyder film, and it’s basically exactly what you’re describing wanting.

I forgot that this existed and really must get round to checking it out. My wife will be clueless, but I'm up for it

And yeah... the oppressive, raining, heavily industrialised comic noir was bugging me because it was reminding me of something, then when I saw the emo makeup I instantly thought "Oh Yeah - The Crow". There's no much about this film on paper that should work but it somehow didn't quite add up to the sum of it's parts.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Someone smarter than me needs to make a deep dive into the Watchmen tv show.

The presentation is incredible, looks great, sounds great, superbly acted, has incredible moments, yet it feels empty and the totality was much less than the sum of its parts.

All the best and worst possible tendencies of Lindeloff put together. I gave up on it before the end of and has left my mind completely.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

McCloud posted:

then he completely whiffs it with things like Rat with Wings (who hears that and doesn't immediately think of a bat?).

...people who live in places where pigeons exist?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jakabite posted:

Cheers smart arse, but again you’ve missed the point. I know he was sad about his parents, and I knew how it drove him. I just didn’t care, because there wasn’t anything else to his character.

‘Yep, this scene sure shows how Batman, played by Robert Pattinson, is sad about his parents dying. He seems like an interesting guy, looking forward to getting more invested in this character!’

But that never happens. Batman could’ve died midway through the film and I wouldn’t have felt even a tiny bit of sadness (same with any of the characters) because none of these characters felt like even slightly real people, let alone likeable ones you can become invested in the fate of. And this isn’t anything to do with not being an Intelligent Film Enjoyer like yourself OP
Yeah, my bad about the tone of my post. I don't know why I came at that point so aggressively.

The point I was trying to make is that they obviously did have places you could emotionally latch onto Batman and be invested in him. They weren't just coasting on people already being on board with Batman. This movie was clearly made with the intention of slowly revealing what Batman is about and getting the audience to emotionally identify with him. By the time he admits Alfred is a father to him and he's been keeping people away to not feel the pain of loss he felt when his parents died, he just about feels like a complete person ready for some growth, setting up the satisfying conclusion where he demonstrates that growth (primarily by narrating it, but whatever, heart's in the right place).

It apparently didn't work for you, and there's not a lot more to say about that.

I honestly think this depiction of Batman, as a person, is way more compelling than he's ever been portrayed in movies before. Previous Batmans were just cool and perfect. I ended up much more invested in this Batman who gasps when he's on a rooftop precipice, and fucks up basic puzzles, and loses it when the Riddler seemed to honestly think they were on the same side.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah I think clearly that just didn’t work for me. I think how invested in Batman as a character you are clearly has a pretty big effect on how well this works for you. I agree that gasping on the edge of a building bats is a lot more fun, and it’s a shame the rest of the film just didn’t hit for me.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Have to agree with the poster earlier in the thread who said it wasn’t good enough to really like but wasn’t bad enough to particularly dislike. It was just there.. for three hours.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

hump day bitches! posted:

Someone smarter than me needs to make a deep dive into the Watchmen tv show.

The presentation is incredible, looks great, sounds great, superbly acted, has incredible moments, yet it feels empty and the totality was much less than the sum of its parts.

All the best and worst possible tendencies of Lindeloff put together. I gave up on it before the end of and has left my mind completely.

I agree, it's a very good show with some phenomenal bits (the middle stretch with the Hooded Justice episode and the episode about the mirror face dude were standouts), but it pulls its punches at the end which retroactively makes the whole thing feel limp.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I'm really tired of super hero movies. I've mostly avoided DC post TDK trilogy, only having seen WW84 and Joker.

With that said I actually really liked the first 2ish hours of this movie. Batman as a noir-detective really worked for me. It was so refreshing not to be watching 3 hours of non-stop CGI action sequences interrupted only by puns.

But it really started to fall apart in the last 1/3rd once the movie moved on to "solving the mysteries". Right around when the car carrier ramp conveniently folded down right when it needed to so Batman could make a dramatic car jump to catch back up to penguin. I literally rolled my eyes.

Falcone, the gangster who is obviously running things... is running things? What a twist!

The Riddler's master plan was to give himself up and flood the city? and he succeeds... like ok? I literally asked "this movie is still going" during the madison square garden fight scenes.

I don't understand the "Batman is dumb" takes. He's shown to have some character driven blind spots, but is otherwise his usual ultra-intelligent super sleuth self.

Explaining Bruce's fighting ability and detective skills by making Alfred retired MI6 was an ok idea too.

The homage to se7en where it was almost constantly raining was a little much.

I didn't watch any trailers or read about the movie beforehand so the machine gun fire in the pitch black fight scene was sweet, and I had no idea Colin Ferrell was Penguin. He ruled.

7/10 which is a lot more than I was expecting going in.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Just saw it, immediate verdict: it's good. Maybe even great!

I was pleasantly surprised with how funny it was, I didn't expect that based on the trailers and how peeps were talking about it.

Lecturing Catwoman on how you must NEVER kill, when he kills at least a dozen henchmen and several drivers on the highway :lol: :perfect:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
uh yeah there's some talk about characters and the investment into them mattering which, I don't know

I'm just here building the best character while watching an oft- talked about inspiration

(it was really good)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Kin posted:

If you're taking about the part where he stooped down and poked his head into penguins car window, that was him being scary rather than weird.

I've seen more than enough horror films to spot that the upside down walk bit is supposed to elicit the vibes of the "killer/monster" causally closing in for the kill on their prey.

I thought it was a pretty awesome depiction of Batman actually being a monster.

I dunno, if that's the vibe they're going for I think they missed the mark, because to me it looked more funny than scary when he poked his head in.

BiggerBoat posted:

I thought that was part of its charm, honestly. The bits where he's at a crime scene I thought were pulled off way better then the Nolan scenes where he's in the bank or at the bat signal skylight and I thought it was cool how the film actually addressed it with the cops and their "wtf is Batman doing here? gently caress him" reactions.

I also liked how weird he was portrayed and didn't always have all the answers or the right gadget for the situation. The film kind of leaned into his weirdness and, for people that want "grounded" Batman poo poo, actually spent time with that. And every now and then, he IS a complete and total badass who still pulls it off. He was a loving BRUTAL psycho in the first 1/3 of the movie and I loving loved it but it was cool how in the next scenes he could be a complete gently caress up too and was mentioned openly as being entirely out of place or not belonging there.

My main complaint about the film is what everyone else said about its pacing. Three hours was a bit much and i'm glad I watched it in two parts.

The intent was clearly to portray this Batman as an asocial weirdo, so I totally get the choice they made to have him walk in like a goober instead of lurking in the shadows, and it's not a bad decision by any means, I'm just not sure I like that particular choice.

But good news, there's a sequel coming! And I'm interested to see where they go next with this franchise

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Bust Rodd posted:

I would argue that it has similar (if not lesser) intentions than Watchmen, where if you approach it with no familiarity with the genre/character you could still be entertained, but there's a lot of referential nuance that you'd miss.

Like, Pattinson lumbering around a crime scene while his armor squeaks and his boots clomp and cops stare at him is funny on its own, but its much better as a response to Bale teleporting into and out of interrogation rooms and parties. Or Bruce loving up and missing something very obvious and being called a dumbass by the Penguin vs. Affleck instantly connecting everything in the first few minutes of BvS.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Wolfsheim posted:

Or Bruce loving up and missing something very obvious and being called a dumbass by the Penguin vs. Affleck instantly connecting everything in the first few minutes of BvS.

What does he connect on the first few minutes of BvS? Batman gets played by Lex for almost the whole movie.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The first ten minutes of the film are on YouTube and one thing I really like is the shots of the bat signal in the sky looking down on the criminals being directly tied with the the surveillance of the police helicopter scaring away the people vandalising the bank. It’s the police light that makes them look up at the bat light. It reminded me a lot of a similar scene in Dredd of the Judge drones scanning the citizens from on high. It really emphasises that a place where the police are openly bragging about working with a vigilante to break your legs is a complete dystopia.

Although the place the bat signal is located seems to be a construction site not the roof of police headquarters which makes sense because they’d want some kind of plausible deniability.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 27, 2022

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Forgot to add I thought it was really dumb that Falcone was considered a rat. It's not ratting when the cops are part of your organization and you tell them to take out your rivals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I rather liked it. It was long, but I enjoyed most of that length until maybe the last 30 minutes where I'll agree the film has a weaker finish than it maybe could have. The sea wall setup didn't come from nowhere, but it also wasn't really hinted at as a larger riddler anything until he says BUT WAIT THERES MORE.

I loved the cinematography and the sound design. The focus on his suit as he approaches and the playing with shadows and negative space along with how dark it is was a fun thing to play with given how the whole thing is stretched for effect. The opening sequence might be the best opening to any Batman movie for setting the tone and playing with your expectations.

I do think the plot itself was, not as clever as they wanted it to be. I didn't mind some of the double exposition pieces, but the riddles themselves and the extra mission to save the flooded civilians didn't land as strong as I wanted them to. The falcone finish felt...flat I guess. It was a wholly unexciting revelation, that in fact the dangerous mob boss is actually a dangerous mob boss. I felt like BtAS had better riddler riddles and clues. I like many others did appreciate that Bruce/Bats is smarter than the idiots running the show, but still has obviously deficiencies both in his skill and his detective work. Not as clever is all I can say to sum it up. It wasn't obvious and stupid, but it wasn't really that tricky either.

I guess the tank of a suit bothered me less than it did for some others, but the glider scene in particular did irk me. Dude was falling very fast and got flipped around hitting multiple pieces of metal. SELL IT FOR A MOMENT don't act like oof I slipped on some stairs. I actually thought the tanking of bullets was really kinda overblown by the trailer, and that sequence I didn't feel he actually caught that many of them. We know the suit is hella tough and when he finally takes an up close blast it does rock him good.

Great casting, really good performances, the batmobile was amazing (i love F&F so ramp contrivances don't even register to me), and despite fitting a lot of name brand batman characters in, I didn't feel like anyone was out of place or truly extraneous. Except for maybe Alfred, I don't put that on Serkis, just that this Alfred had very little presence in the film to me given the emotional play they wanted from him with getting sent to the hospital. For a movie that expects us to know and appreciate a lot of Batman lore, that piece was absolutely taken for granted. I got the sense with Alfred that they were banking on audiences accepting his tacit necessity, but thats the one area I think needed a little more than what was given.

I think the best thing I can say about this film, is that I'd like to see more. When it finished I felt like, I would want to enjoy more batman films like this one even if there are some things to quibble about. He was scary, he did some detecting, it was moody, and the gadgets were all really cool.