Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

"Why do you have to bring class into everything?!" is the new "why do you have to bring race into everything?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Byzantine posted:

"Why do you have to bring class into everything?!" is the new "why do you have to bring race into everything?!"

Yeah both of those are sane person responses to tedious people running their boring mouths

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Josef bugman posted:

In which instance? Sorry there seem to be two conversations going on and I am just a bit confused!

PHUO: Replies should quote a previous post if there's any doubt whatsoever about the context.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think the both of them are wrong (especially about the controversial thing) but I won't say why

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

How so? Being able to interpret the world requires looking at it through a variety of lenses, saying that you can't see politics in things seems a little weird if you want to understand stuff.

Plus our very concept of what we "enjoy" and even who we are is informed very heavily by the culture and politics of the world around us.

because it tends to displace the question "do i like it?" with "do i agree with it?"

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
people who like spiders are stupid and gross and wrong

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Powered Descent posted:

PHUO: Replies should quote a previous post if there's any doubt whatsoever about the context.

You should never quote posts. context is a liberal indulgence

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Allowing for disagreement is important but that opinion should be bannable

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Imo it's good we are more class conscious.

Helps us screen out those dirty, dirty poors.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

tedious people running their boring mouths

True, but enough about your posts,

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Apr 26, 2022

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Shibawanko posted:

because it tends to displace the question "do i like it?" with "do i agree with it?"

I mean what you like and what you agree with do tend to be somewhat similar. If you didn't like what you believe, you'd change your PoV.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

I mean what you like and what you agree with do tend to be somewhat similar. If you didn't like what you believe, you'd change your PoV.

There are tons of things people like but disagree with. See almonds, bottled water, social media, most electronics, their home, air travel, nutella, meat, nearly every movie ever made, their clothes, their shower, and more and more and more

But that's okay you can always chant "there's no ethical consumption under capitalism" and it's like confessing to a priest

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
You know how they say politics and religion have no place in polite conversation? That's true, but only because the people that want to talk about religion and politics are the worst people.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I mean what you like and what you agree with do tend to be somewhat similar.

this reads like a textbook definition of narcissism though. its true for most people but its a boring and isolating way to live

i dont "agree" with mishima or celine but i love reading both. you dont have to agree with a joke to think its funny, for the same reason you dont have to know trivia about a painters life to like a painting

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone who liked Murmur of the Heart really wanted to gently caress their mom

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

There are tons of things people like but disagree with. See almonds, bottled water, social media, most electronics, their home, air travel, nutella, meat, nearly every movie ever made, their clothes, their shower, and more and more and more

But that's okay you can always chant "there's no ethical consumption under capitalism" and it's like confessing to a priest

So what part are you disagreeing with? Because it looks like you know all those things are indeed political and carry the weight of class/race/etc issues, you just don't want people talking about it.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 04:11 on Apr 27, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

you dont have to agree with a joke to think its funny
Is this about someone criticising you for telling a racist joke?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Is this about someone criticising you for telling a racist joke?

no. i was thinking of when people tried to have fyad deleted, for example

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Why did people want FYAD to be deleted? I've been wanting that for two decades goddamn but this feels like you're referring to a specific event.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

credburn posted:

Why did people want FYAD to be deleted? I've been wanting that for two decades goddamn but this feels like you're referring to a specific event.

A combination of FYAD going too far in making fun of a group of trans goons, people being tired of FYAD in general, and a sociopathic mod trying to leverage the situation into control of the website

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Is FYAD the one where everyone is a cat or an anime person and speaks in speech bubbles or is that the other weird sub forum

i know i could just look myself but im scared what ill see

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Leave pyf? That seems like a recipe for a bad and confusing time! No, thank you!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

this reads like a textbook definition of narcissism though. its true for most people but its a boring and isolating way to live

i dont "agree" with mishima or celine but i love reading both. you dont have to agree with a joke to think its funny, for the same reason you dont have to know trivia about a painters life to like a painting

Not especially? What we agree with and believe in usually has at least a passing connection to what we find good in the world. I fail to see how it is narcistic to go "i like this thing because it shows me that the world has some connection with how I see it, or how I wish it was".

I don't agree with the points of view of Marcus Aurelius but I'll still read the meditations. However all too often "joking" appears to be a way to hurt folks in a way that is socially acceptable. I don't know a thing about FYAD, nor do I honestly care.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Remember when a goon started an excel spreadsheet of "suspected FYAD posters" so they could be purged once the take over went through? That was a totally normal thing for someone to do. That whole drama was probably one of the lowest stakes witch hunts of all time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Not especially? What we agree with and believe in usually has at least a passing connection to what we find good in the world. I fail to see how it is narcistic to go "i like this thing because it shows me that the world has some connection with how I see it, or how I wish it was".

i like things because theyre well done or well made, not because i agree with them or confirm some view i have or don't have

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

you dont have to agree with a joke to think its funny

lol

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

i like things because theyre well done or well made, not because i agree with them or confirm some view i have or don't have

Hey check out what I just left in the toilet for you

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

What makes something we'll made though? One person may find Nicholas Cages acting ridiculous, others find it charming. Even Keanu Reeves has had a critical reappraisal of his acting techniques in the modern time period when most critics of the early 21st century consider it excrecable.

What you like is still culturally composed, and informed by politics and world view. It's also good to interrogate why we enjoy certain things. A better understanding of oneself is a path to good things.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

technically it's not good when baseball umpires get hurt, but I still think it's funny

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

alexandriao posted:

Hey check out what I just left in the toilet for you

no need, i can just press your history button

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

It's also good to interrogate why we enjoy certain things. A better understanding of oneself is a path to good things.

you don't do that by just liking things you agree with though

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Byzantine posted:

So what part are you disagreeing with? Because it looks like you know all those things are indeed political and carry the weight of class/race/etc issues, you just don't want people talking about it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Byzantine posted:

It's not that I don't want people talking about it

I just don't want them talking about it to me

Mostly because it's boring, but also I'm sure not going to do anything about it nor am I ever going to feel even slightly ashamed so there's really no point to an unsolicited lecture from some nobody in the first place

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Please don't disagree with me because I don't care

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

you don't do that by just liking things you agree with though

Sure I suppose, but liking what you like does usually means that you agree with some aspect of it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It doesn't though. Like at all. It's an untrue statement that you're trying to use as the crux of your argument

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

It doesn't though. Like at all. It's an untrue statement that you're trying to use as the crux of your argument

Well what is something you like that you fundamentally disagree with the premise of?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Saturn devouring his son

A famous example of endorsement of eating your kid, which you must agree with if you like goya at all

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

Saturn devouring his son

A famous example of endorsement of eating your kid, which you must agree with if you like goya at all

I thought that with the black paintings the point was to evoke feelings of despair and pain. They can be good descriptors of those emotions, but I was more meaning works who are less about evoke emotion directly than telling a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Well what is something you like that you fundamentally disagree with the premise of?

NGL I didn't read any other posts in this argument, but

westerns, chivalric tales