Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lalo, you've got me on my knees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

He goes back in time to the 90s, meets Perry Farrell, and talks to him about starting a huge musical festival.

Perry misremembers his name but gets close.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Saul throws a case to get Lalo in prison and when he pays for a prison shanking Lalo survives and throws another body double on the floor and then gets in the line for leaving prison

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Leaning towards the interpretation Lalo gets resolved when we get back to the post-BB timeline. Perhaps jumping out of the ceiling of the Cinnabon.

Just feels like that adds a natural connected conflict to that era, seems a natural storytelling flow. On the other hand, we know these guys write moment-to-moment and week-to-week, so maybe Lalo gets deleted in the past because they just thought of a cool way to do it. And the final conclusion is more of a Gene and Kim thing.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
this is totally my fanfic ending but given that everyone gets some sort of karmic justice, i think jimmy would face the music and end up in jail, but he actually thrives there.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i feel like Lalo is not enough of a serious personal threat to Jimmy in particular to have him survive all the way into the post-BB timeline and have him be a final villain, narratively he feels more like a problem to Gus and Mike that they'll have to work out in the pre-BB era

maybe that'll change as this season progresses, but right now it feels like the primary questions for the Gene timeline are all about Kim

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 28, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i don't really mind if they have to gently caress around a little bit as long as we get plenty of lalo. he's easily the most entertaining character the show has come up with. yeah chuck was cool but he's long gone. i want lalo lurking around this entire season, not killed off in episode 6.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

eke out posted:

i feel like Lalo is not enough of a serious personal threat to Jimmy in particular to have him survive all the way into the post-BB timeline and have him be a final villain, narratively he feels more like a problem to Gus and Mike that they'll have to work out in the pre-BB era

maybe that'll change as this season progresses, but right now it feels like the primary questions for the Gene timeline are all about Kim

I think Saul will rat on Lalo which is where the conflict between them will come from, especially because he believes him to be dead.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I could see it all teeing up for some major conflict or something, and then some legitimately random accident taking Lalo out.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Snatch style meeting of the plot threads where a blinded Lalo unknowingly gets hit by a car

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

Real prediction: The conclusion to Lalo's story doesn't end during present day in the show; he will somehow fake his death a second time (and remain dead as thought to avoid heat from the local authorities who have been investigating and or building a case against the Salamanca family and believe him to already be dead) to fool Gus, and we will see post-BB Gene have to confront him in some way in the very end, perhaps in a somewhat analogous way to how Walter White conducted his final battle. Gus was convinced he was dead during the BB time line, confronting Hector with "the end" of his family's line, however it seems like Jimmy believes otherwise.

:toxx: against Lalo faking his death a second time. It would make Gus and Mike look ridiculous (falling for the faked death of a man who already faked his death before) and it makes Lalo look like an rear end in a top hat (standing by while his whole family is systemically murdered by his sworn enemy over several months).

If Saul had a good reason to believe Lalo's still alive, he'd obviously share it with Mike, who would pass it up to Gus if it was a real cause for concern.

And I think it deepens Saul's character that his mad declarations of allegiance to the cartel are basically a trauma reaction rather than a rational anxiety around a dangerous former client. That's how Odenkirk understands the character:

"For [Saul] Lalo is like a specter out there. He'll never believe Lalo's dead, even if he goes to the funeral. Lalo is like this creature that's just going to always be hovering in the background, a shadow of fear."

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 28, 2022

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

I do think if Lalo survives into BB or post-BB then it'll be because he stays in hiding. Having him come out of hiding, then hide again, is a bit of a messy plot. If Lalo is still alive, but only Gus and invalid Hector know, then obviously it'd benefit Gus to maintain to Bolsa and Eladio that Lalo is dead, creates a power vacuum for him. I doubt Bolsa or Eladio would believe Hector, if he was even able to communicate it to them. I don't think they hold him in the highest esteem at this point. The big problem with this theory is:

Civilized Fishbot posted:

it makes Lalo look like an rear end in a top hat (standing by while his whole family is systemically murdered by his sworn enemy over several months).
[/url]
Lalo would have to have some really good reason to not come out of hiding when poo poo goes really south for his family, he's a salamanca after all. so that makes it a bit contrived. And I agree with this:

eke out posted:

i feel like Lalo is not enough of a serious personal threat to Jimmy in particular to have him survive all the way into the post-BB timeline and have him be a final villain
though yeah, that could change as the season develops further. we'll see how things shake out. I do really like the idea of Lalo surviving late into the timeline, but it is a bit difficult to see how that really comes together narratively.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Thing is, something needs to happen to convince Hector and Gus that he's dead because as it stands they both know that isn't the case. And they both know that the other knows it too.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The comedy option is Lalo fakes his death and funeral expects to get unburied and something goes wrong and he just suffocates in there we'd get a scene with him breaking the wood and the dirt just flood in covering his bloody hand. I feel like they could write something better but if you want to go with faking his death again it should have some humor to it.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

roomtone posted:

i don't really mind if they have to gently caress around a little bit as long as we get plenty of lalo. he's easily the most entertaining character the show has come up with. yeah chuck was cool but he's long gone. i want lalo lurking around this entire season, not killed off in episode 6.

Imagine if chuck had had a six foot vertical leap though

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
There's a showdown on a highway and Lalo just ends up getting flattened by a semi

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Lalo gets in over his head and has to go undercover, decides to get facial reconstruction surgery and also becomes a nazi. He adopts a young red head boy with violent tendencies and makes a new life for himsef... Uncle Jack.

:boom:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Thing is, something needs to happen to convince Hector and Gus that he's dead because as it stands they both know that isn't the case. And they both know that the other knows it too.

Well, it doesn't benefit Gus to be like "hey Eladio, the salamanca family heir is still alive." Lalo being dead de jure is equally helpful to Gus as him being dead de facto with regards to him gaining greater influence within the cartel. Though I'm sure Gus, fastidious as he is, would still have his organization trying to hunt him down.

And while Hector knows he's alive, he can only tell Bolsa and Eladio that if they bother to sit in front of him with a letter board. I don't think they have time for that poo poo. The only reason he's kept around at all still is because the Salamancas themselves still hold him in high regard. Otherwise I think they would be content with leaving him in that nursing home 24/7 (which, as we see, is exactly what they do end up doing with him). And then, even if he does get it through to them, I think they'd dismiss it as a delusion. He could tell the cousins, but they're just as slow talkers as he is.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Well, it doesn't benefit Gus to be like "hey Eladio, the salamanca family heir is still alive." Lalo being dead de jure is equally helpful to Gus as him being dead de facto with regards to him gaining greater influence within the cartel. Though I'm sure Gus, fastidious as he is, would still have his organization trying to hunt him down.

And while Hector knows he's alive, he can only tell Bolsa and Eladio that if they bother to sit in front of him with a letter board. I don't think they have time for that poo poo. The only reason he's kept around at all still is because the Salamancas themselves still hold him in high regard. Otherwise I think they would be content with leaving him in that nursing home 24/7 (which, as we see, is exactly what they do end up doing with him). And then, even if he does get it through to them, I think they'd dismiss it as a delusion. He could tell the cousins, but they're just as slow talkers as he is.

I'm thinking of the time Gus goes to Hector specifically to tell him that he's the last Salamanca and the rest of his family is all dead which doesn't work if Gus and Hector both know that isn't true.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think mike will kill lalo

mike told jimmy lalo was going to die

jimmy will not believe lalo being dead a second time, but mike will tell jimmy about what happened at the compound to convince him

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
did gus get actual proof lalo is alive? i only remember him superhumanly reading hector's expressions and taking that as his answer. could have missed something though.

it's true regardless, not a stunning story move to have gus go oh well he is dead after all, but it's not the worst.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Gus and Walt have max perception stats so he passed the check

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

roomtone posted:

did gus get actual proof lalo is alive? i only remember him superhumanly reading hector's expressions and taking that as his answer. could have missed something though.

it's true regardless, not a stunning story move to have gus go oh well he is dead after all, but it's not the worst.

TBH it didn't really seem that superhuman to me. Hector just has a terrible poker face.

Plus, Gus already seemed kind of doubtful what with all the assassins dying and somehow still getting the target. Seeing Hector just confirmed something he already suspected, I think.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah it was that and Hector was also not enough of a shithead to him. "This absolute old fucker wants to shake my hand? Something is up here".

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

An entire episode is dedicated to Mike v. Lalo where during the hunt, they develop a strong mutual respect. Mike is about to finish Lalo, when something happens and Mike is impaled by taxi car. With his last dying breathes, Mike asks him to take care of his grand daughter, and Lalo decides this is a better life. He gets facial reconfiguration surgery and becomes the Mike we see in Breaking Bad.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

skipmyseashells posted:

Gus and Walt have max perception stats so he passed the check

Uh, no.

Walt's perception is considerably low, despite his high intelligence.

Remember when he broke Saul's door?

Francesca: "I'm thinking that's gonna cost <large amount that I can't remember>"

Walt: "What?! How is that possible? What reputable contractor would charge... oh..."

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Walt's perception was good the time he caught the missing plate shard but that was more an exception. Even Hank's last words to Walt were a comment on his failure to perceive that Jack's mind was already made up.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's high INT low WIS

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

christmas boots posted:

I'm thinking of the time Gus goes to Hector specifically to tell him that he's the last Salamanca and the rest of his family is all dead which doesn't work if Gus and Hector both know that isn't true.

I think its possible that Gus is just keeping up the lie to be hurtful to Hector. Everyone thinks Lalo is dead, and he hasn't popped up, might as well try to inflict that reality onto Hector. Hearing "your family is dead", being absolutely powerless, you think someone's still out there but don't know where, and nobody believes you. That's still pretty torturous. The only thing you can do against that is hold hope that he's out there somewhere. It might make that scene less potent, ultimately, but I don't think its too contrived of a motivation

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
I just can't imagine a scenario where Tuco is killed in Albuquerque, and then the cousins are killed in Albuquerque, and then the entire cartel leadership except Gus is killed when Gus goes to visit, and Lalo doesn't head to Albuquerque to gently caress with the chicken man.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

I think its possible that Gus is just keeping up the lie to be hurtful to Hector. Everyone thinks Lalo is dead, and he hasn't popped up, might as well try to inflict that reality onto Hector. Hearing "your family is dead", being absolutely powerless, you think someone's still out there but don't know where, and nobody believes you. That's still pretty torturous. The only thing you can do against that is hold hope that he's out there somewhere. It might make that scene less potent, ultimately, but I don't think its too contrived of a motivation

Gus doesn't like to lie outright. Lie by omitting? Sure. But straight up lie? Feels out of character for his fully mature line. If that was said in Better Call Saul I'd agree, Gus is so much more unrefined here.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Gus SHOULD have definitive proof, since his crew mentioned Salamanca wiretaps. You're telling me they don't have a tap on the cordless phone at the retirement home? It's even easier than a corded phone!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gaius Marius posted:

He's high INT low WIS

high int low wis and low int high wis are like the two best archtypes in fiction tbh

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Lalo gave death faking lessons to Chuck, who reappears post BB as the final boss

Also Lalo was the real reason Jimmy couldn't join HHM, somehow

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Lalo doesn’t appear until after Chuck has died. Just pointing that out

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Nonexistence posted:

Lalo gave death faking lessons to Chuck, who reappears post BB as the final boss

Also Lalo was the real reason Jimmy couldn't join HHM, somehow

lalo is howard's father

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Lalo really is Jorge de Guzman and 15 years ago Howard's father and Chuck hypnotized him in order to win a case, during which time he was implanted with the Lalo personality. During their scam, Kim will uncover the truth and erase Mr. Guzman's programming, unwittingly inheriting it and becoming the new Lalo.

MisterDuck
Feb 27, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Uh, no.

Francesca: "I'm thinking that's gonna cost <large amount that I can't remember>"

Walt: "What?! How is that possible? What reputable contractor would charge... oh..."

The end of that scene where he leaves through the hole in the door he made rather than just opening it always kills me.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Welp, guess we're posting enemies now :argh:

Justin Credible posted:

I could see it all teeing up for some major conflict or something, and then some legitimately random accident taking Lalo out.

moist turtleneck posted:

Snatch style meeting of the plot threads where a blinded Lalo unknowingly gets hit by a car

I was thinking more the end of No Country for Old Men, but that's a good one too :iiaca:

pixaal posted:

The comedy option is Lalo fakes his death and funeral expects to get unburied and something goes wrong and he just suffocates in there we'd get a scene with him breaking the wood and the dirt just flood in covering his bloody hand. I feel like they could write something better but if you want to go with faking his death again it should have some humor to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnXi3SVJXbM

¿Puedo tomar un vaso de agua, por favor?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Uh, no.

The best part of that scene is when he leaves to get the money, he crawls back out under the door instead of just opening it from the inside :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I just can't imagine a scenario where Tuco is killed in Albuquerque, and then the cousins are killed in Albuquerque, and then the entire cartel leadership except Gus is killed when Gus goes to visit, and Lalo doesn't head to Albuquerque to gently caress with the chicken man.

yeah its absolutely the biggest problem with the theory imo. family is a big deal for these salamanca guys lol