Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

freebooter posted:

That doesn't sound right? Coronalevel has it at 410,000 active cases in England which is 1 in 140

https://coronalevel.com/United_Kingdom/England/

And worldometer has a shade over 1 million active UK-wide which would be about 1 in 67 (I know England is worse than Scotland and Wales, but surely not to that degree)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...%2013%20people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jows
May 8, 2002

freebooter posted:

That doesn't sound right? Coronalevel has it at 410,000 active cases in England which is 1 in 140

https://coronalevel.com/United_Kingdom/England/

And worldometer has a shade over 1 million active UK-wide which would be about 1 in 67 (I know England is worse than Scotland and Wales, but surely not to that degree)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

England, the Florida of the UK

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Smeef posted:

It reminds me of the econ geek argument that cars would be safer if air bags were replaced with metal spikes to reduce moral hazard.

They almost certainly would be safer for pedestrians and cyclists, though.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Steen71 posted:

They almost certainly would be safer for pedestrians and cyclists, though.

Or drivers would be even more reluctant to hit the brakes. And you’d have a million As Seen on TV contraptions to disable the spike.

Here in HK now we have these very popular masks that are basically panty hose with ear loops and a plastic rib to keep it elevated off your nose.

We’ve started to loosen up some restrictions. Restaurants can open past 6pm, gyms reopened, cinemas reopened.

Really the only remaining major restriction is incoming travelers. They meant to loosen the restrictions but unintentionally have caused even fewer flights and passengers to arrive. The policy is that if a flight arrives with 3 (now 5!) positive cases, then that airline is banned for 7 (now 5!) days. Unfortunately airlines no longer give a poo poo about catering to a single difficult destination, so they’re just not flying here.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

tagesschau posted:

Claims that vaccinated people can spread COVID just as easily as unvaccinated people are tantamount to denying that benefit of the vaccine.

Further to this: https://www.cmaj.ca/content/194/16/E573

quote:

We found that the risk of infection was markedly higher among unvaccinated people than among vaccinated people under all mixing assumptions. The contact-adjusted contribution of unvaccinated people to infection risk was disproportionate, with unvaccinated people contributing to infections among those who were vaccinated at a rate higher than would have been expected based on contact numbers alone.

Although risk associated with avoiding vaccination during a virulent pandemic accrues chiefly to people who are unvaccinated, their choices affect risk of viral infection among those who are vaccinated in a manner that is disproportionate to the portion of unvaccinated people in the population.

Using simple mathematical modelling, we have shown that, although risk associated with avoiding vaccination during a virulent pandemic accrues chiefly to those who are unvaccinated, the choice of some individuals to refuse vaccination is likely to affect the health and safety of vaccinated people in a manner disproportionate to the fraction of unvaccinated people in the population. Risk among unvaccinated people cannot be considered self-regarding, and considerations around equity and justice for people who do choose to be vaccinated, as well as those who choose not to be, need to be considered in the formulation of vaccination policy. It is unlikely that SARS-CoV-2 will be eliminated, and our findings will likely be relevant to future seasonal SARS-CoV-2 epidemics or in the face of emerging variants.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

This is why, even though I'm way more statistically likely to get COVID from a vaccinated person, I'd still be OK with the mandates on unvaccinated being barred from hospitality, international travel etc continued indefinitely. You don't want to do the easiest possible thing to protect others in your society even the smallest extra bit? Well, fine, cope with the consequences.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Just posting some nice images of SARS CoV 2 evolution that I'm using for some course material.

To the left is an image from early 2020 where researchers analyzed the glycosylation (a common post translational protein modification) of the spike protein and modeled the glycosylations (the puffy balls) onto the existing spike protein 3D structure (the red and white basal structure) to determine epitope accessibility (Illustrated by how red the underlying structure is).

The protein is shown from the side and from the top down.

To the right is the same spike protein 3D structure sans the glycosylations, but updated with more data to get a higher resolution. The orange dots represent the location of point mutations in the omicron BA.2 lineage compared to the original Wuhan strain.

What is obvious is that it is primarily the exposed non glycosylated areas, specifically around the Ace2 binding site (light blue areas in the lower right pictures) that have accumulated mutations. This is because 1 these sites are the most accessible epitopes for the immune system (no heterogeneous fluffy glycosylation that shields the protein surface), 2 targeting the Ace2 binding site is also an effective way of inactivating the virion and 3 there have been some host binding optimization that will also primarily affect the area around the receptor binding site. All in all this is making these epitopes under the highest evolutionary pressure.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My coworker who is going through his second round of COVID is wearing a mask. My coworker whose wife and kid both have COVID is not wearing one.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

My coworker who is going through his second round of COVID is wearing a mask. My coworker whose wife and kid both have COVID is not wearing one.

So you're saying they can learn when it affects them personally?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

"going through" as in he came to work with covid?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

"going through" as in he came to work with covid?

Yes.

Months ago the CEO came to work maskless while he had active COVID, insisting that since he was a few days into it he couldn't spread it and that he was "the safest person to be around."

The office never closed during the pandemic despite literally every single person having a work laptop.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Yes.

Months ago the CEO came to work maskless while he had active COVID, insisting that since he was a few days into it he couldn't spread it and that he was "the safest person to be around."

The office never closed during the pandemic despite literally every single person having a work laptop.

:catstare:

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Not empty-quoting, but this is what I was coming to post. JFC.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

My coworker whose wife and kid both have COVID is not wearing one.

UPDATE: This person is not at work today because yesterday they tested positive. :confuoot:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The bill I have talked about before that would get FDA more power to regulate supplements (and thereby seriously damage the antivaxx movement) is now live in the Senate as S 4090. The simplified version is that this bill would make supplement companies send FDA their product information and label. That information goes into a public database (basically a public supplement registry), and FDA can instantly seize and stop supplements that aren't in that system. (It also means FDA will actually know what products are even on the market, since right now there's zero premarket approval or scrutiny for supplements) The short version is that the bill will let FDA crush fake Covid cures and other scam products much, much faster.

If that sounds good, the time to contact your senator's office (especially if they're on the health committee) and tell them you support a mandatory public database for dietary supplements now. The equivalent House committee is Energy and Commerce. The house passed a version of the bill that doesn't have these supplement provisions, so you need to tell them that you want the final version of the FDASLA to have mandatory product listing for supplements.

This is actually the first of what may be a couple bills on this over the next month, but you should still contact your congressional representatives and senators if you care about this. It may be best to call Tuesday, after the holiday, but I'm not sure.

The politics involved are complicated, but the short version is that it's worth doing no matter what party they are a part of or where you live, and the decisions are being made very soon. This doesn't fall along the usual partisan or even industry lines, and hearing even a single call or email of public support could actually change whether it happens.

Here's the author of S 4090, talking about the need for dietary supplement listing: https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1ynKOZAVMrzxR

You can mine the video for talking points(it's a good watch), but some basic starters:
  • Always say you use supplements, and you want to feel like they're safe and better regulated...and that you want them to support a mandatory dietary supplement listing system in the FDASLA.
  • Saying you want a more transparent market or want to be able to know what you're taking is what it says it is, is also a good line with most senators.
  • If the senator is Republican, talk about creating a "stable, free market for supplements made here in America" and in particular, say that you are always worried about foreign drugs (you can say Chinese or Russian, if you want) getting imported and dumped on the market as supplements.
  • if they're a Dem, it may be effective to say that you know there are a lot of fake Covid cures labeled as supplements, and you think this could help clean things up- and boost trust in vaccines, too.
Cunningham offered some more general info about contacting a congressional office.

cunningham posted:

My own comments (as one who routinely communicates with congressional staffers):
1. Be succinct. Staffers have limited time and get dozens (sometimes hundreds) of requests per day. Be short, sweet, to the point.
2. Have an "ask." It's one thing to say, "this sucks, you should fix it!" It's another to say, "this sucks, here is how you can fix it." That's why I asked about whether there was a bill to support, and what language you would like to see in it.
3. Know your audience. Mitt Romney represents Utah, and supplements are BIG there (thank you, Orrin Hatch). DoTERRA a CRN member (https://www.crnusa.org/membership/responsible-its-our-middle-name), and there must be more. Your Senator will care more if you can tell them "look, [company] is in our state, they support this." Kansas goons, get on it: both of your Senators are on the HELP committee (food manufacturing is pretty big there, too: https://www.kansascommerce.gov/industry/food-processing/).

If you would like more specific info, context, or talking points for a particular office, PM me.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 30, 2022

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
loving finally

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/04/28/business/moderna-asks-fda-authorize-covid-shot-kids-5-younger/

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Efficacy isn't great (46%) which is lower than even pre-vaccine stipulations in 2020 (I believe they had to be greater than 50% effective then). But that's against infection, not hospitalization or death.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Oracle posted:

Efficacy isn't great (46%) which is lower than even pre-vaccine stipulations in 2020 (I believe they had to be greater than 50% effective then). But that's against infection, not hospitalization or death.

It is great compared to the 0 loving percent my daughter has been dealing with for over two years

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Riptor posted:

It is great compared to the 0 loving percent my daughter has been dealing with for over two years

Phrasing!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Is there any information out there about when/if drug companies are going to start manufacturing vaccines specifically tailored to combat Omicron? We’re still using ones designed around original recipe COVID-19, right? I thought a major advantage for mRNA vaccines was how quickly they could be adapted. CAN an Omicron-specific vaccine be developed? Will there one day be an annual COVID shot like with the flu?

If my questions don’t make it clear I’m an uninformed layperson, apologies if this was recently discussed or I’m asking the wrong thing.

edit: vvv thank you! vvv

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 28, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

poor life choice posted:

Is there any information out there about when/if drug companies are going to start manufacturing vaccines specifically tailored to combat Omicron? We’re still using ones designed around original recipe COVID-19, right? I thought a major advantage for mRNA vaccines was how quickly they could be adapted. CAN an Omicron-specific vaccine be developed? Will there one day be an annual COVID shot like with the flu?

If my questions don’t make it clear I’m an uninformed layperson, apologies if this was recently discussed or I’m asking the wrong thing.
quoting myself from last page, Moderna is planning to do bivalent boosters with original spike + variant-specific (probably Omicron?) in the fall

Fritz the Horse posted:

I can't find a source other than this investor announcement but I did hear that Moderna is planning to offer bivalent boosters in the fall - https://investors.modernatx.com/news/news-details/2022/Moderna-Announces-Clinical-Update-on-Bivalent-COVID-19-Booster-Platform/default.aspx

Looks like they're combining the original vaccine booster plus a variant-specific booster and find it does better than just the original. They've tested Beta and Omicron so far.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

quoting myself from last page, Moderna is planning to do bivalent boosters with original spike + variant-specific (probably Omicron?) in the fall

Beta

https://investors.modernatx.com/news/news-details/2022/Moderna-Announces-Clinical-Update-on-Bivalent-COVID-19-Booster-Platform/default.aspx

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Hmm where are you seeing that? Your link is the same as the one I posted and says

quote:

Stéphane Bancel, Chief Executive Officer of Moderna. "Our latest bivalent booster candidate, mRNA-1273.214, which combines the currently authorized Moderna COVID-19 booster with our Omicron-specific booster candidate, remains our lead candidate for the fall 2022 Northern Hemisphere booster​. We look forward to sharing initial data on mRNA-1273.214 later in the second quarter. We believe that a bivalent booster vaccine, if authorized, would create a new tool as we continue to respond to emerging variants."

They tested a bivalent booster with Beta, now they're testing a bivalent booster with Omicron and the Omicron one is their lead candidate for a fall 2022 booster.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oh my bad I got the 214 and 211 confused

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I got an email from the health department that I can get a second booster if I want it.

I will be traveling for work soon . . . on the other hand, I had read ITT that getting boosters too frequently could make the body stop caring about the virus, which seems extra-bad.

First booster was a few weeks before Thanksgiving and (to my knowledge) I have not had COVID.

Thoughts?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Zarin posted:

I will be traveling for work soon . . . on the other hand, I had read ITT that getting boosters too frequently could make the body stop caring about the virus, which seems extra-bad.

Spacing between boosters is important, and repeated boosters seem to have somewhat diminishing returns, but this is some antivax bullshit.

I'm not gonna tell you what to do, but I would certainly tell you to disregard that argument when making your decision.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Repeated boosters don't make your body "stop caring about the virus." What people are referencing is "original antigenic sin" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_antigenic_sin where getting multiple vaccinations against with the same antigens (original flavor spike) makes your immune system not perform quite as well against other variations of the antigens.

To use a silly military analogy I've tried with my parents, getting 3-4 shots with the same antigen (original spike) is like training a bunch of soldiers how to fight a war in the desert. They're really well-trained and prepared to fight in the desert, but if they end up having to fight in a jungle they're going to make mistakes and not be quite as good. They've been trained for years on desert combat and while many of their skills and training will still work in a jungle they're not going to be quite as good.

Getting the same vaccine over and over causes your immune memory to get more specialized but also less flexible.

For your specific situation, do you have any high-risk conditions? Do you live or have close contact with anyone who is high-risk? When is your trip? What precautions will you be taking during the trip and what precautions will those around you be using? Keep in mind a booster will take a couple weeks to kick in.

I assume that the bivalent boosters Moderna is working on will still be available if you get a booster now.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Do you have a reference for repeat exposure decreasing the ability to generalize? I’ve seen OAS come up as the original exposure meaning that future exposures of similar, but not equivalent, stimulus would fail lead to better generalization because the original response is “good enough”. That’s been used to explain why Omicron-specific boosters don’t necessarily lead to better response to Omicron than boosting with the original vaccines. If repeat exposure to the same vaccine reduced the ability to generalize you’d expect the opposite. It also seems like we’d have a bigger push to shift boosters to *anything* different just to avoid over-specialization.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

Repeated boosters don't make your body "stop caring about the virus." What people are referencing is "original antigenic sin" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_antigenic_sin where getting multiple vaccinations against with the same antigens (original flavor spike) makes your immune system not perform quite as well against other variations of the antigens.

To use a silly military analogy I've tried with my parents, getting 3-4 shots with the same antigen (original spike) is like training a bunch of soldiers how to fight a war in the desert. They're really well-trained and prepared to fight in the desert, but if they end up having to fight in a jungle they're going to make mistakes and not be quite as good. They've been trained for years on desert combat and while many of their skills and training will still work in a jungle they're not going to be quite as good.

Getting the same vaccine over and over causes your immune memory to get more specialized but also less flexible.

You're going to need to come up with a better source than Wikipedia for this. Specifically, why this concept of original antigenic sin should apply to covid vaccine boosters, and vaccine boosters in general.

Because everything we're seeing right now is that repeat boosters broaden immune response, so quite the opposite seems to be true.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.02.14.480394v1

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I'm not at all up to date on the research on vaccines or an immunologist, so seems like I'm misremebering.

Zarin's concern about getting a booster being detrimental is not really founded and as spankmeister said, disregard that part and make your decision based on your risk factors, risk factors of those in close contact, planned activites when you travel etc etc

edit: also consider that if you get a booster now, the bivalent boosters Moderna is planning for the fall would be available 4+ months later so you'd have a good gap prior to those.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 29, 2022

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

We should be giving everyone boosters every three months to keep them topped off. No reason not to, since side effects are fairly minimal.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Slow News Day posted:

We should be giving everyone boosters every three months to keep them topped off. No reason not to, since side effects are fairly minimal.

I predict when the dust settles that we'll get an annual flu/covid combo shot beginning in October with the aim of protecting us over the holidays and through the winter peak. Idk how many people would be willing to get 4 boosters a year, especially since many do feel sick for a day afterwards.

Your plan is likely more efficacious although I wonder if there's a point at which the risk:benefit ratio becomes unfavorable

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is there a point to creating variant-specific boosters, or does it still mutate too fast? Subjectively, it feels like omicron has been the dominant strain for longer than the other ones predominated, at least by a few months. Maybe reporting on new variants has dropped off, though.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is there a point to creating variant-specific boosters, or does it still mutate too fast? Subjectively, it feels like omicron has been the dominant strain for longer than the other ones predominated, at least by a few months. Maybe reporting on new variants has dropped off, though.

If any have popped up so far they haven't managed to outcompete Omicron and have just unceremoniously gone extinct. WHO currently has no variants of interest being tracked and the only variants of concern still thought to be circulating are Omicron and Delta as far as I can tell.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:gonk:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1519942569844789249?s=20&t=FCDGjmHdJEyUYeEwPsodVg

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hell yeah. We will go down as first generation to get all the pandemics and develop foreverimmunity to disease.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hell yeah. We will go down as first generation to get all the pandemics and develop foreverimmunity to disease.

Can't get a disease if you're dead! It's one special trick the mask-vaccine industrial complex doesn't want you to know.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Homo sapiens sapiens evolves into homo sapiens influenzae. We are all walking bags of assorted viruses

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

haveblue posted:

Homo sapiens sapiens evolves into homo sapiens influenzae. We are all walking bags of assorted viruses

I identify as an avian homo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Slow News Day posted:

This is a great idea. *Subtly slides pharma stock investments away out of sight*