Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
De Lancie is in season 3. I’m going to assume season 3 was Matalas’s pitch for Picard, but it was deemed too “final season”, and had to come up with this season to set the stage and kill time. Evidence is tenuous, but Matalas did say season 3 is what Trek would look like completely under his reign.

Basically I feel like the Q plot isn’t really gonna resolve until next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i just hope there's more gun violence, never knew that was what trek was missing

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm almost wondering, did de Lancie do something to piss Stewart and/or the executive producers off early in filming and they just cut most of his scenes or re-wrote the season on the fly so there wouldn't be any direct contact between Q and Picard? Like what the gently caress is going on here?

de Lance, Stewart, and Spiner all are extremely charming and can act loving circles around the rest of the main cast and it's a shame that they didn't just build the season around them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
stewart is a wet fart in this though

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

8one6 posted:

de Lance, Stewart, and Spiner all are extremely charming and can act loving circles around the rest of the main cast and it's a shame that they didn't just build the season around them.

I would add Jeri Ryan to that group too. A season about Picard and Seven on their own trying to stop Soong acting at the behest of puppet master Q from sticking his dick in the future and causing everything to turn fash would be neat and cool and tighter than this sloppy shitshow (which I'm still somehow enjoying, don't get me wrong).

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

My hope for season 3 of Star Trek Picard is more Stars and more Trekking. I'm fine with the amount of Picard.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Idk, Picard Seven kinda sucks because she’s all the worst tendencies of the show rolled into one character. She’s almost completely bereft of the fun elements the character had on Voyager.

I don’t buy into the fairly common whining about this era of Trek being all about miserable sad sacks who are also bad people, but the way Seven is written is dangerously close to that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I actually liked the episode overall after really not liking the last few, but there are still a lot of problems. There was no reason to drag out the Picard’s childhood trauma plotline past the coma episode. The effects in this episode were abysmal, to be kind, and everything with Holo-Elnor was weird. I’m also pretty sure that Jurati left a bunch of armed drones on past-Earth, because they absolutely didn’t kill them all in this episode. The revelation that Seven got rejected by Starfleet is some bullshit and makes no sense.

On paper I at least like the idea of Jurati making the Borg into a cooperative instead of a forced collective, but considering we have one more episode left this season I doubt we will get to really explore much of what that even means. I have no idea what they are going to do with Q at this point. He almost completely disappeared from this show after episode 2.

I'll just assume that they scanned for all those guards outside and they are now reinforcing the foundation of Chateau Picard.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Idk, Picard Seven kinda sucks because she’s all the worst tendencies of the show rolled into one character. She’s almost completely bereft of the fun elements the character had on Voyager.

I don’t buy into the fairly common whining about this era of Trek being all about miserable sad sacks who are also bad people, but the way Seven is written is dangerously close to that.

Yeah. Seven on voyager and Seven on Picard might as well be two different characters and I miss Voyager Seven.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

LinkesAuge posted:

Do I need to bring up Holo-Elron? Has anyone considered the implications of Holo-Soldiers? And even if they did then why were the Borg still able to make physical contact with him? Why didn't he just phase in and out of existence (they even did that with Holo-Rios before)? Am I also to believe that they just had Elron's mind backup somewhere, even to the point of his own death?

The implications of this reminds me of last season when the cube had that teleporter that could just take people hundreds of light years in an instant. The writers are content with just inventing things that break the universe when they need characters to get from point A to point B and never stop to consider the ramifications of its introduction. Things like that have happened in trek before, and it's been bad all those other times too. With a series that takes itself as seriously as this, you'd wish they wouldn't keep up such a bad habit.

Seven not getting into star fleet is lame. I think I remember Bashir keeping his augmentations secret when he joined because he was worried they wouldn't accept him if they knew, so it's not completely out of the question. It's just that it really does sound like her loyalty has been proven enough by now, right?

I think what I hated most was putting the motivations of the Borg squarely on the queen. While there was debate about whether or not the queen was a figurehead or an independent representative of the collective, that debate is over since they confirm here that the Borg are just an extension of her. Why do they do everything they do? Because she wants them to, nothing more nothing less. It also turns out that the Borg get defeated in infinite timelines. That was just really dumb.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I can't shake the feeling that at least part of the scene where JL rewinds his memory was footage of the actors walking backward being played forward, instead of the other way around. Also they should have been calling Seven "Annika" all season, at her insistence, and only reverted when healing her stomach hole somehow necessitated the rest of her extremely cheap-looking appliqués coming back.

Khanstant posted:

Ignoring most of the episode, I really liked this one.

Inside this thread are two wolves...

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Oh yeah, I rolled my eyes at the way to fix her gaping stomach wound was to give her the same borg parts she once had on her eye, neck, and hand. Give me a break.

A more courageous and interesting show could have given her borg parts but have them be different, and that's just the way she is now. It would have been fine - good, even. But no, back to status quo from Voyager.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I actually liked the episode overall after really not liking the last few, but there are still a lot of problems. There was no reason to drag out the Picard’s childhood trauma plotline past the coma episode. The effects in this episode were abysmal, to be kind, and everything with Holo-Elnor was weird. I’m also pretty sure that Jurati left a bunch of armed drones on past-Earth, because they absolutely didn’t kill them all in this episode. The revelation that Seven got rejected by Starfleet is some bullshit and makes no sense.

On paper I at least like the idea of Jurati making the Borg into a cooperative instead of a forced collective, but considering we have one more episode left this season I doubt we will get to really explore much of what that even means. I have no idea what they are going to do with Q at this point. He almost completely disappeared from this show after episode 2.

I liked this week a lot more than the last few too. I think the pacing of the latter half of the season is somewhat inexplicably and bizarre, but at least this episode wasn't boring.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

So are there going to be two Borg collectives now? One friendly one and then the one we all know and love?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

HD DAD posted:

I loved that the NX-01 refit is apparently now canon.

I was really happy to see this. I glanced through someone's screencap gallery because I don't need to watch TATV again and there weren't any of the usual establishing shots and flybys of the ship, so I guess there's nothing preventing us from assuming that she did eventually get that refit as Season 5 would've shown us. Warms the heart :3:

Gonz posted:

Picard is going to save the day next week by hitting Q with a Tornado DDT to jog his dwindling Q powers.

If Sting of all people is still doing balcony dives at 63 years old then so can Golem Picard.

Q would kickout at 2 anyway though

Delsaber fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 29, 2022

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
this show actually had a somewhat interesting premise and first... two episodes or so, but my god is it terrible

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

I’m very curious as to how the production and plan for this season evolved; e.g. initial vision vs. budget - but I think the modern prestige television game of thrones-style plotting hasn’t been working well for star trek, at least with these teams, and maybe season 3 can be worthwhile as

if it’s a balance of terror/wrath of khan style space battle stretched out over 10 episodes as is being implied… i dunno.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

this show actually had a somewhat interesting premise and first... two episodes or so, but my god is it terrible
The problem with American medias and sci-fi franchises is that young writers don't give a poo poo about older franchises and corporations are too cowardly to allow new IPs and give the writers free reign so they could tell THEIR story.
I didn't mind Star Wars episode 8, i just wonder if the 8th episode of the billion dollars franchise was the right moment to poo poo over all my expectation. Just loving allow new shows, you coward suits.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

On paper I at least like the idea of Jurati making the Borg into a cooperative instead of a forced collective, but considering we have one more episode left this season I doubt we will get to really explore much of what that even means.

No worries I'm sure future Treks will really dive in to this,

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Acer Pilot posted:

So are there going to be two Borg collectives now? One friendly one and then the one we all know and love?

Thankfully for those of us hot sexy hoes who play Star Trek Online, we've had 2 collectives for year :getin: :epicgritty: :sexintentone:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Alchenar posted:

I thought this review was interesting because the author very clearly sees what the show is trying to do (even if they give it a pass for the terrible execution):

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/star-trek-picard-is-thankful-for-small-mercy/

Toplowtech posted:

The problem with American medias and sci-fi franchises is that young writers don't give a poo poo about older franchises and corporations are too cowardly to allow new IPs and give the writers free reign so they could tell THEIR story.
I didn't mind Star Wars episode 8, i just wonder if the 8th episode of the billion dollars franchise was the right moment to poo poo over all my expectation. Just loving allow new shows, you coward suits.

Sorry to triple-post but I continue to think how funny this review is and your comment activated my laugh-algorithms

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

8one6 posted:

Yeah. Seven on voyager and Seven on Picard might as well be two different characters and I miss Voyager Seven.
100% agreed

I’ve been rewatching Voyager and it’s really glaring how much different they are

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"I know you can still hear me!"

"Fight it!"

At this point, I'm betting we're going to get all three of my least favourite scifi lines.

EDIT: I want the Picard series 2 promised in the last 5 minutes of the first episode.

lol they used both of them.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

8one6 posted:

I have to assume that big swaths of this script were written with COVID restrictions in mind because every time one of these three show up in a scene, there is at most one other person present in frame (usually standing 6' away) and/or it's constant shot/reverse shot to obscure that they weren't on set with the rest of the group, so that ends up really restricting how they can actually play off the rest of the cast

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
According to a new interview, apparently Akiva Goldsman was disappointed when he found out Discovery wasn’t going to be a Pike/Spock show, so he just backdoor piloted them in as soon as he could.

Basically “nah I’m just gonna make this show instead”. Lmao

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Picard: *yelling through an n95 mask* MM MAMMN HNGD HRSHF

Orla Brady: *screaming back through a reverse-pressure barrier from yards away* I'M NOT IN THIS SCENE, PATRICK, YOUR SCENE PARTNER IS ON ZOOM

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Acer Pilot posted:

Three if you include the cooperative.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Eventually everyone in the Delta Quadrant is just a different Borg. The Borg Empire, The Borg Republic, and The People's Collective of Borg.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

Three if you include the cooperative.

I had very a slim hope that the borg collective chakotay met on voyager was the new collective making contact with the federation, but i'm really setting a low bar for some of this stuff to clear

does any of thses appeal to non fans? I'm curious if anyone has watched any of the nutrek without having seen the old stuff and likes it

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Jurati's now a faction leader in Alpha Centauri

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

So… Picard’s mom hangs herself and his father and (somehow missing from all flashbacks) brother never mention it again so he’s able to completely block all memory of it???

I’m sorry, that was such a supernova-sized retcon that I was unable to watch it without laughing out loud at the gall of these hack writers.

Also, this is a couple episodes back, but why didn’t Picard recognize his father when he was pretending to be his counselor? Oh right, because it was just supposed to be a surprise for the audience… which doesn’t make sense from the character’s perspective…. also the dumb line about him keeping his hair when we know specifically his father went bald, just sloppy poo poo.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 29, 2022

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Powered Descent posted:

:j: "Computer, set course for the Delta Quadrant."

:awesomelon: "Course set. Estimated travel time at maximum warp, 71 years."

:j: "Oh... right. Forgot about that."

:awesomelon: "Warning: insufficient antimatter reserves for journey. At maximum warp, fuel will be exhausted in four months sixteen days."

:j: "GodDAMN it!"

I would dig a reverse Voyager. But presumably she would know how to make the transwarp conduits and such so it wouldn't really be that long.

Lister posted:

It also turns out that the Borg get defeated in infinite timelines. That was just really dumb.

I liked that part a lot.

Acer Pilot posted:

Well, the friendly one does have quite a head start on the other one. A ship from 400/500? years in the future. Which might have some tech from even further in the future going by Holo-Elrond's mobile emitter...

Brawnfire posted:

These dudes need to only use their laser sights if they're in visual range of the target, they give themselves away quite a lot

I'm going to guess they did that to make it similar to the red lasers that were a part of the Borg in TNG...

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Two grown men, crying in the mud about what happened to their dead mom their mean old dad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don’t necessarily think that what happened to Picard’s mom is a retcon. We never really find out much about either of Picard’s parents, so it’s something they can go into more

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tiberius Christ posted:

I had very a slim hope that the borg collective chakotay met on voyager was the new collective making contact with the federation, but i'm really setting a low bar for some of this stuff to clear

does any of thses appeal to non fans? I'm curious if anyone has watched any of the nutrek without having seen the old stuff and likes it

I watched Discovery season 1 first, then DS9, then the rest of the new shows as they aired and sporadic Voyager (which is harder to get through than DS9). I'll watch the rest eventually, but it's going to take me a while. I'm familiar enough with TNG, TOS, and Enterprise from seeing random episodes too. I like the new shows, though a few of the episodes of Picard season 2 and Discovery season 4 were kind of boring.

I honestly don't really think there's a huge quality difference between some of the low points of DS9 and Voyager, and what I'm seeing now. Not much has reached the high points of DS9 though, and ironically, the only show that seems as coherently written is probably Prodigy. Discovery doesn't have a main idea, and ignores or writes out interesting characters. Picard has a lot of main ideas, but can't focus enough to deliver on any.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/ansonmount/status/1520041750005493764?t=E_sgK06tnJPOY4lsRzzazw&s=19

Hell yeah

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I have the biggest fuckin smile on my face after watching that

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

that is what i wanted.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t necessarily think that what happened to Picard’s mom is a retcon. We never really find out much about either of Picard’s parents, so it’s something they can go into more

It's inconsequential to the Picard we know. No one is going to watch TNG after this and think, "Ah yes, that explains why Picard is acting this way" except for that one scene in Where No One Has Gone Before, which is totally a retcon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

gently caress yeah. That intro is exactly what I wanted.