Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The_Doctor posted:

Which makes no sense, as surely you could just get another actor in? Why did he have to be melty?

I was going to say that Holmes wanted to emphasize that the Peter Pratt Master was the same one as the Delgado Master, but... yeah that doesn't actually make sense, you could just as easily put a new guy in there since the melty one doesn't look anything like Delgado. The actual answer is probably that that's simply the type of villain that Holmes likes: long past their prime but still dangerous.

And it's been a while since I've seen Deadly Assassin, but what exactly is going on with the Master? Is he a skeleton because he's just really old Delgado, or did Delgado try to regenerate without having any regenerations left and he turned into Skeletor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I always liked the sheer creepy weirdness of the fried-egg-eyes Master, and was disappointed when he returned with normal eyes.

(I was equally disappointed with 'Davros's eyes were perfectly fine, he was just too lazy to open them' replacing 'his eyes were burned out of his skull by a nuke'.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Robert Holmes appeared to have a real interest in writing a story exploring what happens to a Time Lord on their final regeneration. He basically did that by stealth with Caves of Androzani ("It feels different this time") after trying to suggest it/set it up in Brain of Morbius and then went back to the well with the Valeyard being a collection of the Doctor's discarded negative traits from between later regenerations desperately trying to find a way to live longer.

I'm actually surprised that it was Terrance Dicks who wrote The Five Doctors since the central villain of that story is also a Time Lord trying to extend their lives, though ironically it seems Holmes' initial idea if he had written the story was to be about Cybermen using Time Lord bodies to become Cyberlords. Chris Chibnall eventually took two of Holmes' ideas from Brain of Morbius and that Five Doctors concept and made them.... much worse.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Rochallor posted:

I was going to say that Holmes wanted to emphasize that the Peter Pratt Master was the same one as the Delgado Master, but... yeah that doesn't actually make sense, you could just as easily put a new guy in there since the melty one doesn't look anything like Delgado.

Especially since the last time the two characters had seen each other on screen, they had both been played by different actors entirely. And doubly especially when they could have papered over this entirely on Tom Baker's charisma and a brief dialogue scene.

:smug: : Doctor, your appearance has changed yet again, I see.
:haw: : Ah. Well, you know what they say... "A rolling stone gathers no moss." "To everything there is a season, turn turn turn." And so on.
:smug: : Hmmm. Goth, destroy this fool.
:haw: : Ah. Still, "the more things change, the more they stay the same," there's some comfort in that, eh Goth?
:confused: : ...what?

Class3KillStorm fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 28, 2022

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Payndz posted:

I always liked the sheer creepy weirdness of the fried-egg-eyes Master, and was disappointed when he returned with normal eyes.

(I was equally disappointed with 'Davros's eyes were perfectly fine, he was just too lazy to open them' replacing 'his eyes were burned out of his skull by a nuke'.)

They just missed an opportunity with Davros' eyes.

"You liked looking into my eyes, Doctor? And no wonder. Because I TOOK THEM FROM YOUR GRANDDAUGHTER!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Just going to leave this photo of Jessica Hynes here… for no reason.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Don't do that.... don't give me hope.....

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

Don't do that.... don't give me hope.....

Apparently the person who leaked Capaldi before the official reveal has said it’s Hynes

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The_Doctor posted:

Hynes would be a really solid choice. I really hope it's another woman at least, because if we go back to a man after Whitaker I doubt we'd get another female Doctor for several regenerations.

Plus we'd get another scene of the Doctor going, "Hm, where have I seen this face before?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rochallor posted:

Hynes would be a really solid choice. I really hope it's another woman at least, because if we go back to a man after Whitaker I doubt we'd get another female Doctor for several regenerations.

Plus we'd get another scene of the Doctor going, "Hm, where have I seen this face before?"

The face in question :nws:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Good news everybody!
https://twitter.com/StephenAtHome/status/1519799462926848000?t=-OdFCFohbNEse02QwdOYGA&s=19

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Monkey's finger curls: "I recognize this face from somewhere"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I would absolutely give up on watching the show at that point.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Sometimes I forget that he was in two episodes already, and in those moments of forgetfulness I find peace.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

New Davros?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I forgot how good human nature was! flip. I'm sad Paul cornell never wrote for the show after that.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sometimes I forget that he was in two episodes already, and in those moments of forgetfulness I find peace.

In all fairness, I cant abide james cordon, but credit where it's due, he was actually fine in The Lodger and more or less acceptable in the other one he was in whose name I cant remember because it wasnt as good as the lodger.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

SiKboy posted:

In all fairness, I cant abide james cordon, but credit where it's due, he was actually fine in The Lodger and more or less acceptable in the other one he was in whose name I cant remember because it wasnt as good as the lodger.

Closing Time, and it was another episode where the power of love beat the Cybermen, so yeah, forgettable.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SiKboy posted:

The Lodger was fun. Not the kind of thing I'd want every episode but Doctor Who should lean into the goofy from time to time. The other one was okay though it lacked the same charm.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Doctor responding to being told to imagine how he'd react if he had a girl in his bedroom by going,"I would probably say I WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS! :stonk:" was a delight :allears:

In unrelated news, I rewatched Galaxy 4 since I picked up the animated reconstruction, and I had completely forgotten how cold-blooded the ending is and how the Drahvin Soldiers (apart from the 1 who was stunned while on the ship?) never got a chance to grown or change after it seemed like the story was being set up to do that. The fact that after the initial efforts both the Rill and the Doctor/companions just went,"Ahh well gently caress it, I guess they can die" didn't feel inappropriate but I am surprised there wasn't at least a token effort to tell them to could come onboard if they gave up their weapons or something, even if Maaga was likely to refuse even when all other options seemed gone.

All that said, the fact that Maaga ends the episode on the opposite end of the horrifying and cruel fate she so enthusiastically imagined the Doctor and the others would be left to face was a really nice touch.

That story was followed by The Daleks' Master Plan (technically Mission to the Unknown first) which similarly has an extremely bleak and fatal ending, seems like there was something in the air in the Doctor Who offices at that time!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The only things I've ever watched that have that dude in them are those two Doctor Who episodes so I have a neutral-to-mildly-positive view of him.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CommonShore posted:

The only things I've ever watched that have that dude in them are those two Doctor Who episodes so I have a neutral-to-mildly-positive view of him.

(JC dressed as a rat hip thrusting at an innocent passer by.gif)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

(JC dressed as a rat hip thrusting at an innocent passer by.gif)

Not even the worst thing he's done in the past year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSJhHlb84ew

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

TinTower posted:

Not even the worst thing he's done in the past year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSJhHlb84ew

what a stupid piece of poo poo he is.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Jerusalem posted:

That story was followed by The Daleks' Master Plan (technically Mission to the Unknown first) which similarly has an extremely bleak and fatal ending, seems like there was something in the air in the Doctor Who offices at that time!

Don’t forget The Myth Makers and The Massacre of St Bartholomew’s Eve, both of which end in the slaughter of most of the cast!

It’s a surprise it’s not until The Ark before we get a story which doesn’t end in the death of virtually everyone…

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Zaroff posted:

Don’t forget The Myth Makers and The Massacre of St Bartholomew’s Eve, both of which end in the slaughter of most of the cast!

It’s a surprise it’s not until The Ark before we get a story which doesn’t end in the death of virtually everyone…

Well they do kill off everyone between the second and third episodes...

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Rochallor posted:

And it's been a while since I've seen Deadly Assassin, but what exactly is going on with the Master? Is he a skeleton because he's just really old Delgado, or did Delgado try to regenerate without having any regenerations left and he turned into Skeletor?

We had a chat about it earlier in the thread. Expanded universe stories differ on if the skeleton is a decayed version of the Delgado Master, a failed attempt to regenerate into a 14th body, or if the UNIT enemy Master regenerated into a Beevers incarnation which was then left decayed.

Apparently the latest wild speculation that may or may not be started by the chap writing for the Plymouth Herald is Rakhee Thakrar, which would break the Eighth Doctor: Time War series if true.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Zaroff posted:

Oh yeah, I had forgotten that Mission to the Unknown doesn't jump straight into The Daleks' Master Plan, they do The Myth Makers first and pick up Katerina (:negative:) and let Vickie choose to remain behind, so it's three companions in a row who die horribly (Katerina, Brett and Sara) in one story, then Steven has to flee a brutal massacre knowing it likely kills the lady he just met. It's no wonder he's had enough and is ready to pack it all in until he meets Dodo right at the end of that story.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Sorry, you must have missed posting the tweet with the good news in it :v:

Also I wouldn't be one loving bit surprised if RTD cast him

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It felt like Craig Ferguson had that job just forever and feels like Corden only just started, but Corden will have hosted the show for eight years when he exits and Ferguson only hosted for nine.

I don't like how time works.

And I miss Craig Ferguson and Jeff Petersen.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

LividLiquid posted:

I don't like how time works.

Buddy, you may be in exactly the right thread.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll always remember Matt Smith appearing on Craig Ferguson shortly after he'd announced he was finishing up as the Doctor. He was talking about a movie he was going to be doing and Craig asked him to show off his American accent, Smith did, Ferguson was like,"Wait.... THAT is your American accent?" and Smith got this look on his face like,"Oh God have I made a huge mistake?" :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

I'll always remember Matt Smith appearing on Craig Ferguson shortly after he'd announced he was finishing up as the Doctor. He was talking about a movie he was going to be doing and Craig asked him to show off his American accent, Smith did, Ferguson was like,"Wait.... THAT is your American accent?" and Smith got this look on his face like,"Oh God have I made a huge mistake?" :allears:

There is an AMAZING Graham Norton clip where Olivia Coleman does this to Jack Whitehall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLxx3o78q3w

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

There is an AMAZING Graham Norton clip where Olivia Coleman does this to Jack Whitehall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLxx3o78q3w

That was incredible :lol:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It just makes me adore her so much more.

But also I'm still mad at her for getting too famous to be the Doctor now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love that she was in Five-Ish Doctors just to comment that it was equally as weird for her not to be invited to be in the 50th Anniversary as it was for Sean Pertwee, because "I'm in everything!"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

idly wishing for David Mitchell Doctor so someone can post the clip where they did it for charity or something and he spends the whole bit ranting about his own existence

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

If we ever got a bunch of one off Doc adventures, Coleman would be there day one.

https://i.imgur.com/WQz1KVr.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Rhyno posted:

That's not a good reason.

I think she'd also make an excellent Master

Khanstant posted:

idly wishing for David MitchellRowan Atkinson Doctor