Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's because of events like this where I'm doing this maintenance myself instead, so stupid

There is another option.

Dealership repairs are for in-warranty and recall work only. All other work should be done at an independent shop. That still can cost more than you're happy to pay, and doing work yourself is a great way to save some money (or spend some money, lol @ my tool collection) but don't go by dealership prices if you're trying to make that determination.

Ask around and find the local mechanic that people recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

There is another option.

Dealership repairs are for in-warranty and recall work only. All other work should be done at an independent shop. That still can cost more than you're happy to pay, and doing work yourself is a great way to save some money (or spend some money, lol @ my tool collection) but don't go by dealership prices if you're trying to make that determination.

Ask around and find the local mechanic that people recommend.

I get such varied answers it's kind of a crapshoot to begin with.

The resistor for example is easy to replace on this car, it's just kittycornered, so the question is do I want to deal with that bullshit (if they even want to bother installing third party sourced components, which some local shops near me wont do) or bring it to a place that does do that locally (but then spends 6 hours to replace my coworker's oil pan because it's in a weird spot on his chevy, when he could have youtube'd it and done it in 45 minutes instead, I'm not joking, we checked this because he complained lol)

Because of that, I'm at the point of just doing it myself.

Anything that requires a $3k+ lift to get under the car I think is where I'd draw the line, especially since none of my friends have a lift I can borrow either.

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
nothing *requires* a lift

re: my stuck door, it's still stuck and that sucks. i ripped the door panel off and got all the linkages disconnected and the little security shield cut away from the latch and am trying to pop this lil tab. it's not just a broken linkage or anything easy, the latch itself is hosed and apparently that's a thing with these. not fun but i'm sure i'll get it soon

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What’s a basic but effective car washing protocol/combo of stuff? Just a good spray down, sponge with some soapy water, and rinse? Any real benefit to getting more elaborate with it to protect the paint in the FL sun?

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

What’s a basic but effective car washing protocol/combo of stuff? Just a good spray down, sponge with some soapy water, and rinse? Any real benefit to getting more elaborate with it to protect the paint in the FL sun?

Hey at least get some basic wax in there. Google: "carnauba-based car wax will protect it from UV rays, heat, moisture, oxidation, and environmental contamination"

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
For simple and effective I don't think you can beat getting a handheld pump sprayer, filling it with ONR+water grab a handful of micro fiber towels, then just go around top to bottom spraying then wiping off a panel at a time. Be sure to flip sides often and swap towels as needed so you're always using a clean part per panel. Boom, you're done in like 20 minutes, no rinsing or anything. I don't know of any car parts you can't use ONR on, so you can also hit any interior spots you want while you have it out. For wax type sealant/sun protection I like Ultima Paint Guard Plus, real quick and easy to apply just spray and wipe every couple-few months.

Spray bottle I use and like https://www.carsupplieswarehouse.com/collections/pumps-sprayers/products/gdi-polyspray-2-32
ONR https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html?productid=optimum-no-rinse
Ultima Paint Guard https://www.autogeek.net/ultima-paint-guard-plus.html
Paint Guard FAQ https://www.autopia.org/forums/premium-finish-care/126867-ultima-faq.html

You don't need much of the ONR or Paint Guard, so if you get the expensive sounding bigger bottles they'll last for a long time. Downside on the biggies is I'd like to try the I think Meguier's? similar spray wax folks have talked up here but it's gonna take forgoddamnever to use up this Ultima lol. Also filling up that spray bottle with ONR will probably last 2-3 washes which saves a few more minutes in prep time.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 28, 2022

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Are there resources for finding out what would have been a part of a factory tow package ? I'm looking at a 2001 Grand Cherokee, and from what I can tell the tow package bumped the capacity from 2000lbs to 5000lbs. I'm trying to figure out if it's more than just a transmission cooler and the correct hitch.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thanks for all the info, will follow it to the letter and blame you if I mess something up!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Baronash posted:

Are there resources for finding out what would have been a part of a factory tow package ? I'm looking at a 2001 Grand Cherokee, and from what I can tell the tow package bumped the capacity from 2000lbs to 5000lbs. I'm trying to figure out if it's more than just a transmission cooler and the correct hitch.

Do they put exhaust brakes on passenger trucks for towing? Maybe that's in there too.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Do they put exhaust brakes on passenger trucks for towing? Maybe that's in there too.

God no please don't give them any ideas

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Baronash posted:

https://jeepspecs.com/wj-generation/specifications/trailer-towing-specifications/

quote:

Trailer Tow Prep Group (requires I-6 engine)

3.73:1 axle ratio
Mechanical cooling fan
Trailer tow wiring assembly

Trailer Tow Group Class III (requires I-6 engine)

Transmission oil cooler
Frame-mounted receptacle for load-equalizer type hitch
7-into-4-way plug adapter

Trailer Tow Group Class IV (requires V8 engine)

Power steering cooler
Transmission oil cooler
Frame-mounted receptacle for load-equalizer type hitch
7-into-4-way plug adapter

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Hey, thanks!

All of that seems doable except the axle ratio. But if I’m remembering my physics class correctly, 3.55 vs 3.73 should mean it’s only about a 5% difference in power. That doesn’t seem too bad.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's also considerations for how much abuse the transmission can take, and the 42RE used in the 4.0 WJ is not a well-loved transmission for a reason. With 3.55 gears you're going to be putting more load on the transmission than with 3.73s.

From experience, the WJ is actually a fairly decent towing platform, but it's horribly undercooled. My '03 4.7L had no problem moving and controlling ~4000lb worth of trailer behind it, but it would overheat if I looked at the throttle funny. The 4.0 is probably better in that sense at least. Which is good because you'll be absolutely flogging that thing.

Oh, and check to see if your WJ is fully up to date on recalls. Mine had a factory towing package but if I remember correctly, one of the recalls involved installing a free Mopar hitch because it turns out that a WJ without a hitch doesn't meet crash standards.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

VelociBacon posted:

Exhaust brakes are a diesel thing, so never on a US-spec WJ. No idea if the VM Motori diesel offered to the rest of the world had one.

The heavy duty pickups have had them on the aftermarket as long as they've had diesel engines, it became an OEM option in 2007 for Dodge and 2011 for Ford and GM.

GM's light duty four banger has one as well.

opengl128 posted:

God no please don't give them any ideas
Way too late...

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

New to me 1991 CRX; it didn't come with a muffler. Then I noticed some of the existing exhaust had a long crack. So I ordered a 3 piece set (muffler, resonator, a curved piece)

However after the cat it's just welded all as one unit. I have this where the new stuff wants to connect:

The existing exhaust is described online as "1.75 inch" but I'm having a hard time finding a 1¾ flange with this bolt pattern.
Can you link me one I can buy on amazon or autozone?

I have a stick welder so I think I can connect a flat piece given the right dimensions. The cracked in the exhaust is about two feet long and I'd prefer not to weld that back together, which my buddy tried and said the metal was too thin and dirty to work with.

Currently:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

There should be a flex pipe before between the engine and cat. Is there? If not, you're gonna be doing this all over again a lot sooner than you want.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

If you just need the flat flange, Sendcutsend.com will laser cut one for you for $30. If you PM me (or post) precise dimensions, I can generate the DXF cad file to buy the part.

e:

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 29, 2022

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Making some progress with my stupid 2005 Colorado. If anyone recalls the dealer diagnosed what I thought was a no injector pulse problem as no compression, and needs an engine.

A colleague was able to help and found a broken injector harness wire but fuel delivery was still poor, and pressure dropped off from 55psi originally when trying to run. Dropped the tank to maybe replace the fuel pump and found the whole sender assembly just loosely resting in the hole. It’s spring loaded, so it compresses when you put the lock ring on it. Turns out the flange on the tank is a metal piece molded into the plastic tank, and that flange has rusted away. Tank is fine otherwise, but being basically wide open it was full of all kinds of debris.

My problem is now that there are basically no used tanks, no new tanks, and no aftermarket. This seems to be common across GM models with this tank design, and lots of chatter and head scratching is found on related car forums.

Plan right now is just drill the lock ring and screw it to the tank. This is a redneck truck only deserving of a redneck fix.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

mr.belowaverage posted:

My problem is now that there are basically no used tanks, no new tanks, and no aftermarket. This seems to be common across GM models with this tank design, and lots of chatter and head scratching is found on related car forums.

Plan right now is just drill the lock ring and screw it to the tank. This is a redneck truck only deserving of a redneck fix.

I saw a youtube video dealing with that exact problem. Glued it in with this repair kit: https://www.gastankrenu.net/search-by-year/gm-plastic-gas-tank-lock-ring-repair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUHbZhO0oKk

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My neighbor has an 04 Silverado 2500HD. He avoided this problem by having several fuel pump failures (don’t buy the cheap pump, folks). We wirewheeled the flange and treated it with rust converter.

It’s loving criminal that GM puts mild steel brake & fuel lines in their vehicles, but stainless exhaust. I have replaced every brake & fuel line in his truck over the past decade, but it’s still running on the factory exhaust.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hi AI first post here. Why did "Just buy a Prius" become a meme here?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lawman 0 posted:

Because as an appliance it's impossible to argue, the Prius has proven it can last as long as any Hilux for what it was designed to do, commute.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Lawman 0 posted:

You misspelled miata

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

90% of the people asking want something reliable and cheap to drive. That's a Prius.

The suspension is mushy, it's got weak acceleration, and is thus exceedingly boring to drive - but nobody says they want a car that's fun to drive.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The rav4 hybrid was my solution for that reason. Still get 45 mpg commuting but can do light off-road img and towing, tons of cargo space, and sport mode that can actually go.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also a lot of people have a weird puritanical relationship with cars.

"I want one that will cost me as little as possible."
"Prius"
"But it's booooooooooooooring"
"Then I guess you have priorities other than minimizing expenses?"

Prius is the default option because they've been around long enough to exist at nearly every price point in the market, they're fuel efficient, and they're exceptionally reliable with only two consistent and "expensive" repairs that a significant portion of owners will deal with

There is absolutely a plethora of cars out there that don't cost dramatically more to own than a Prius, and offer a better experience in some way, but almost nobody comes into that recommend-me-a-car thread with anything other than "cost to buy" and "cost to own" as top factors for their car where "all I do is commute".

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

they're exceptionally reliable with only two consistent and "expensive" repairs that a significant portion of owners will deal with

What are these, out of curiosity?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok I have showroom quality paint

Do I just buy a bunch of Maguires stuff and whatever microfiber cloth or what. I know the previous owner was using Maguires wax and that seems to be working pretty well

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Ok I have showroom quality paint

Do I just buy a bunch of Maguires stuff and whatever microfiber cloth or what. I know the previous owner was using Maguires wax and that seems to be working pretty well

If you have perfect paint now you might want to consider that ceramic treatment or whatever people offer.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

What are these, out of curiosity?

Traction (high voltage) battery is a wear part. DIY is still gonna run you about $1500-2000 for a rebuilt pack. It's anyone's guess as to when the car will need it - some cars are at 300k+ on the original, some need it by 100k.

Brake accumulator is also an issue - it's a ~$2000-2500 repair at a dealer. It's your master cylinder, antilock module, traction control module, and vacuum pump all in one. Tho to be fair it's an issue on all Toyotas that use that setup (the 4Runner uses a similar setup even on a non-hybrid). When it goes, you lose regenerative braking (and thus a solid 15+ MPG), antilock, and traction control, though you get plenty of warning before it goes (you'll hear the pump running a lot - it's quiet, but you can hear it when the car isn't moving).

I've passed on every used Prius I've looked at because I could hear the accumulator pump running almost nonstop, but I was in the <$3k market at the time.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Chunjee posted:

I saw a youtube video dealing with that exact problem. Glued it in with this repair kit: https://www.gastankrenu.net/search-by-year/gm-plastic-gas-tank-lock-ring-repair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUHbZhO0oKk

Yeah, I saw that kit. We made an even cheaper version:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

mr.belowaverage posted:

Yeah, I saw that kit. We made an even cheaper version:

N O I C E

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I used to think onboard computers on a car were a frivolous convenience, but now that I'm actually driving places I have to say it sucks to hear directions from google maps on your phone. I drat near got in an accident trying to fiddle with the phone on my knee. When I stop renting and buy a car it will definitely have an onboard computer.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My brother in christ you can buy a phone holder at any gas station

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Android Auto/Apple Carplay will put your navigation of choice on the dash too.

In fact there's a very good chance your rental cars have it - it's standard on so many cars now, even a crappy Mitsubishi Mirage has it on some trims. Try plugging your phone into whatever USB port you can find on the dash/center console/etc if the car has a touchscreen stereo.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 30, 2022

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Android Auto/CarPlay are the best thing to happen to automotive navigation since Google Maps.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My 2016 car has apple carplay (cable only, but eh) and it's a gamechanger. I don't do anything at all with the built in entertainment system, other than listen to the radio occasionally.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

wolrah posted:

Android Auto/CarPlay are the best thing to happen to automotive navigation since Google Maps.

Yup. My little (and it's tiny) Pioneer mech-less headunit in conjuction with a large phone in a cupholder... holder, brings most of the functionality of built-in nav to an almost 20 year old vehicle. Reliable bluetooth, usb audio connection, hands-free calling, control/display integration for bunches of apps, it still gets updates for common apps four years on. There's even enough room behind the unit to mount a small 4-channel amp. All that for, IIRC, $250 from Crutchfield.

Aftermarket headunits are better than ever, right as they're facing obsolescence in anything but the cheapest vehicle. gently caress all that, as I will probably never own a car new enough for it to matter.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

quarantinethepast posted:

I used to think onboard computers on a car were a frivolous convenience, but now that I'm actually driving places I have to say it sucks to hear directions from google maps on your phone. I drat near got in an accident trying to fiddle with the phone on my knee. When I stop renting and buy a car it will definitely have an onboard computer.

have you tried playing the audio from your phone through the car’s sound system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

Yup. My little (and it's tiny) Pioneer mech-less headunit in conjuction with a large phone in a cupholder... holder, brings most of the functionality of built-in nav to an almost 20 year old vehicle. Reliable bluetooth, usb audio connection, hands-free calling, control/display integration for bunches of apps, it still gets updates for common apps four years on. There's even enough room behind the unit to mount a small 4-channel amp. All that for, IIRC, $250 from Crutchfield.

Aftermarket headunits are better than ever, right as they're facing obsolescence in anything but the cheapest vehicle. gently caress all that, as I will probably never own a car new enough for it to matter.

It's pretty amazing just how good a lot of the Joying/whatever android head units are for their price. I've been running one for years now in my old junk and they mostly just work.