Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i have had adventure ever since it came out on the gamecube and i have never once finished it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

hatty posted:

Sonic Heroes is good imo

I liked Sonic Heroes when I rented it as a kid, and didn't realize how hated it was until I got older

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i have had adventure ever since it came out on the gamecube and i have never once finished it lol

coward

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Colors looks and plays well but drat can the writing be painful in places.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I feel mildly self-conscious to be asking this, but what's the best way to play the Sonic Adventure games now? Are the PC ports better than what's available on Xbox, or are they very comparable? Is Heroes available anywhere other than PC? I've got a Sonic obsessed kid, and after we're done working through Sonic Jam, I need something to hop to next.

I guess after these we'll also be playing Sonic 2006, assuming that I can find a disk without paying a fortune and have a working 360. I did snag Unleashed, which got a really nice Series S/X patch and runs at 60fps now.

it's been a year or so but prices for sonic 06 physical copies weren't unreasonable when i was looking

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
loose copies of sonic 06 arent very expensive

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

readingatwork posted:

Colors looks and plays well but drat can the writing be painful in places.

The only writing I remember existing in sonic colours are eggman's pa announcements and those are excellent, so I can only assume you are lying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17MwXZN6ZJI

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

The only writing I remember existing in sonic colours are eggman's pa announcements and those are excellent, so I can only assume you are lying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17MwXZN6ZJI

the cutscene writing is terrible, it's the actual biggest problem with modern sonic (besides mania obvi). the last game with good writing was black knight but forces kinda started turning things around with infinite and I'm optimistic about frontiers

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They got rid of the Happy Tree Friends guys right? Writing took a nosedive once they brought them on

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

hatty posted:

They got rid of the Happy Tree Friends guys right? Writing took a nosedive once they brought them on

Yup. Ian Flynn is taking over for Frontiers and the Origins cut scenes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Do we know if Flynn is going to be the main writer for the games from here on or just for the most recent two slated to come out?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

Do we know if Flynn is going to be the main writer for the games from here on or just for the most recent two slated to come out?

no real way of knowing that yet

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

no real way of knowing that yet

Fair point. Well I don’t really read the comics personally but I’ve heard good things about his abilities as a writer so hopefully that bodes well for Frontiers at least

The Kenster
Jun 21, 2013

First of all, that Clocktown could really use a floating celestial object of doom... With a face!
Feel like I'm being gaslit here whenever I see somebody seriously say that Colors cutscenes are in any way worse than anything that came between Heroes and Unleashed.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Twerk from Home posted:

I feel mildly self-conscious to be asking this, but what's the best way to play the Sonic Adventure games now? Are the PC ports better than what's available on Xbox, or are they very comparable? Is Heroes available anywhere other than PC? I've got a Sonic obsessed kid, and after we're done working through Sonic Jam, I need something to hop to next.

I guess after these we'll also be playing Sonic 2006, assuming that I can find a disk without paying a fortune and have a working 360. I did snag Unleashed, which got a really nice Series S/X patch and runs at 60fps now.

If you don't have a Dreamcast, then get the PC port for SA1 and then get the Dreamcast Conversion Mod. For SA2, I think you can get any port of it and it'll be fine.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like the goofy sincerity of pre colors sonic better

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Kenster posted:

Feel like I'm being gaslit here whenever I see somebody seriously say that Colors cutscenes are in any way worse than anything that came between Heroes and Unleashed.

Trying to be funny and failing is worse than trying to be serious and failing.

Also, comedy is subjective. Opinions exist.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Larryb posted:

Fair point. Well I don’t really read the comics personally but I’ve heard good things about his abilities as a writer so hopefully that bodes well for Frontiers at least

read the comics

The Kenster posted:

they are

hatty posted:

I like the goofy sincerity of pre colors sonic better

this

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Black Knight has really good themes and motifs and Griffith turning in a career-best performance. The english+-language dialogue writing is... fine.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

There's a reason Sonic fans have dubbed the 2010s era of Sonic as the Meta Era. Where Sonic was making meta jokes and didn't take itself seriously and focused entirely on Sonic being the only playable character, Eggman being the only main villain and other characters not really appearing and when they do they're mischaracterized, like Tails now being a giant coward despite being plenty capable in the pre-Meta era games. Not to mention the overt fanservice to the classic games to the point people got sick of seeing Green Hill Zone and Chemical Plant Zone for the third or fourth time in Sonic games. And hey, it turns out that being self-aware, a heavy focus on nostalgia levels and only having Sonic be playable didn't actually make the games any better. Even the well received Colors and Generations have built off the foundation started by Unleashed; the last "Dark Era" game. Everything new that Sonic has tried has either been as bad as Sonic 06 was (the Boom games) or painfully mediocre (Lost World, Forces). It didn't really help that Sega kept trying to promote the series to groups like Game Grumps on social media, who have been very vocal in their dislike of Sonic and their total experience with the series boils down to "I played Sonic 2 at a friends place on their Genesis when I was a kid, once".

The Meta Era feels like a response to the memes about the Sonic cycle at the time, back when people complained about Sonic's "lovely friends" ruining the games for reasons I still have never understood. But it was also a time when sincerity and cheesiness was derided as being too anime and people wanted dumb jokes and Joss Whedon-esque quips. It seems the appetite for that has died down quite a bit now.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I wish the games would stop trying to pretend there’s a continuity that matters. Yeah it’s cool to have callbacks from time to time but it really limits the series’s ability to experiment and try new things. Just do the Zelda thing and see how many interesting remixes you can get out of the same basic elements and don’t worry about it jiving with previous games.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It was derided because it was bad writing, and while I enjoy an ridiculously edgy villain or overwrought at times, most of 00s Sonic’s writing was sincerely bad unless you are just really into on a level that is ironic, a lover of shlock, or anything but sincere appreciation. It culminated in a human woman kissing a giant, anthropomorphic hedgehog, which is why the series took a hard turn into Saturday Morning Cartoon writing starting with Unleashed.

Unfortunately that was super shallow even for a cartoony setting, and only Unleashed/Colors got much out of it. Generations was just a flimsy excuse to go back to old zones and play as Classic Sonic, and Lost World had extremely boring villains. You need an antagonist like Shadow or Infinite as a change of pace from Robotnik’s hammy appearances, and the deadly six? Yeah, they weren’t that.

People were right to hate Sonic’s friends but they did so for the wrong reasons: Sonic 3 had set up additional characters as variation on Sonic’s core gameplay, as opposed to wildly different gameplay clearly added as padding. Ironically, Sonic ‘06 did have three characters with the same basic gameplay but different attributes. The execution was just…you know.

Sonic of that era is not particularly good! Set aside your hedgehog loyalties and accept it! There’s a reason the classics keep getting remakes and not the Adventure series :colbert:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Adventure-era writing is fine.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Mr. Fortitude posted:

And hey, it turns out that being self-aware, a heavy focus on nostalgia levels and only having Sonic be playable didn't actually make the games any better. Even the well received Colors and Generations have built off the foundation started by Unleashed; the last "Dark Era" game.

This is a really weird-rear end take because the entire idea of "eras" is entirely a fan-created system of characterization for the series as a whole. As a result, saying Unleashed was the last of the "Dark Era" games is an entirely arbitrary distinction. You could just as easily say that Unleashed was the first of the "Boost Era" of games because that was where the gameplay elements that all the later, modern Sonic games work with was initially established.

I really don't like the fandom meme of these eras to begin with as they have a very distinct and pointed agenda in the way that they're applied: The two Adventure games tend to be lumped into their own "era" separate from the 3D Sonic games released after Sega became a 3rd party publisher, which means we have an "era" that lasts for only two years and encompasses two games, and that exists because fans want to treat the Adventure Games as being somehow separate from the more divisive games that followed, built on the same formula. It's all just a game of smoke and mirrors by fans to make the games they have specific nostalgia for look somehow distinct from the ones they don't and it ignores the fact that the Sonic series has always been incredibly hit and miss with its titles, even going back to the so-called "classic" era.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Meta Era feels like a response to the memes about the Sonic cycle at the time, back when people complained about Sonic's "lovely friends" ruining the games for reasons I still have never understood. But it was also a time when sincerity and cheesiness was derided as being too anime and people wanted dumb jokes and Joss Whedon-esque quips. It seems the appetite for that has died down quite a bit now.

Gonna be honest, I way prefer quippy Sonic over the blandly sincere Sonic from the earlier 3D games. While you can debate what degree this was a marketing tactic by Sega vs. what was actually in the games, but to me Sonic has always had some degree of attitude as part of his core character, and the games between Adventure and Unleashed increasingly downplayed that in favor of making him just kind of a bland shounen protagonist. While the self aware quips don't always land, they feel a lot more in line to me with Sonic's original characterization than the bland leading man of 06.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Black Knight captured Sonic's character better than any game prior or since.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That’s actually Sonic Riders where all Sonic wants is to be fast and race good.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

IMO Black Knight's Sonic had the perfect mix of quippiness, attitude, and Adventure era sincerity. Hell, while we're at it I think it low-key had one of the best plots, even if it didn't feel particularly Sonic-y. Shame about everything else about it.

Nodosaur posted:

Adventure-era writing is fine.

I think it depends what you're talking about when you say writing. When a lot of people say "writing" they actually just mean the dialogue as opposed to the plotting. I love the Adventure games and personally think the stories are pretty good, but the English script, while memorable, is fairly awkward.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjjRWd5EfsM

The Adventure-era dialogue owns

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the 3ds boom games range from fine to actually pretty good and rise of lyric post-patch is more just kinda bizarre than anything else. the comic is straight up good, all the goofy humor of the show but in a package that actually looks visually appealing

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That’s actually Sonic Riders where all Sonic wants is to be fast and race good.

in team sonic racing, sonic is way more interested in racing shadow than actually figuring out whatever's going on with the plot

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

IMO Black Knight's Sonic had the perfect mix of quippiness, attitude, and Adventure era sincerity. Hell, while we're at it I think it low-key had one of the best plots, even if it didn't feel particularly Sonic-y. Shame about everything else about it.

I think it depends what you're talking about when you say writing. When a lot of people say "writing" they actually just mean the dialogue as opposed to the plotting. I love the Adventure games and personally think the stories are pretty good, but the English script, while memorable, is fairly awkward.

Oh no, the dub scripts are terrible, I agree

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Looper posted:

the 3ds boom games range from fine to actually pretty good and rise of lyric post-patch is more just kinda bizarre than anything else. the comic is straight up good, all the goofy humor of the show but in a package that actually looks visually appealing

I don’t know why you’d want to play rise of lyric without the glitches, accidentally warping through a wall and skipping half the game is part of the experience

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Rise of Lyric is just Sonic inserted into a early 2000’s generic platformer.

Super weird game. Doesn’t feel like a Sonic game at all, the running sections are laughable.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And Shattered Crystal on the 3DS was a weird Metroidvania-esque game with overly long stages and forced item collection in order to progress (along with some of the worst writing I've ever seen in the franchise). Fire & Ice was the only Boom game that even came close to just playing like a normal Sonic title (thus making it the best one by default).

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i love sonic and his stupid friends

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I don’t know why you’d want to play rise of lyric without the glitches, accidentally warping through a wall and skipping half the game is part of the experience

i only played it for the first time last year and didn't know how to downgrade 😔

Larryb posted:

And Shattered Crystal on the 3DS was a weird Metroidvania-esque game with overly long stages and forced item collection in order to progress (along with some of the worst writing I've ever seen in the franchise). Fire & Ice was the only Boom game that even came close to just playing like a normal Sonic title (thus making it the best one by default).

it's not really a metroidvania at all, it's more dkc, but yeah the forced item collection is a bummer

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Richard Jacques did the soundtracks for the 3DS Boom games right? Were there any bangers?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looper posted:

i only played it for the first time last year and didn't know how to downgrade 😔

it's not really a metroidvania at all, it's more dkc, but yeah the forced item collection is a bummer

Fair, though the levels are still way too long even if you’re just trying to go straight to the end

Richard Jacques did the soundtracks for the 3DS Boom games right? Were there any bangers?

I can’t remember a single piece of music from any of them so I’d say no (though the music wasn’t Sonic Chronicles level bad either)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 30, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pants Donkey posted:

It culminated in a human woman kissing a giant, anthropomorphic hedgehog, which is why the series took a hard turn into Saturday Morning Cartoon writing starting with Unleashed.

this kind of "death by association" argument is a black hole for sonic discussion.
I could also say the saturday morning cartoon approach to writing culminated in the Deadly Six and Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric.
you would be hard-pressed to find any individual element in the series that hasn't been associated with trash at one point or another.

Unleashed wasn't even the first game to have goofy saturday morning cartoon writing, Heroes was the same way. Why is Heroes lumped in with the Adventure games as having "serious" writing?

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Looper posted:

in team sonic racing, sonic is way more interested in racing shadow than actually figuring out whatever's going on with the plot

Rightfully so.