Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Huh, so there's Aftermath but also Aftermath+. I feel like a boomer trying to figure out Wii versus Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
rebirth -> afterbirth -> afterbirth+ -> repentance

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
And it's even a little more confusing than that because they all just use the Rebirth exe so anyone who doesn't know the history will buy Repentance and see Rebirth and think they got the wrong thing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i don't think a lot of people these days know what the exe they're launching in steam is called

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

flatluigi posted:

i don't think a lot of people these days know what the exe they're launching in steam is called

The game in your library is called and will always be called Rebirth even though there has been multiple new iterations is my point.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVH-8X8rFoQ

quote:

In Repentance, Libra’s effects are directly based upon your tally marks in the pause screen, changing your stats to ensure the tally marks are the same across all stats (except shot speed and luck.)

:psypop: What the gently caress? That’s how the item works now? I guess that explains how it dumpstered Soy Milk + Libra before.

Apparently the 1.7.8 buff to this item was making it so that the damage tally marks on the pause screen need more damage before the game fills in a tally mark. Which makes it so that Libra gives you damage increases more often compared to before. :psyduck:

On the plus side, despite these bizarre back end calculations, it’s probably easier to understand whether taking Libra is a good idea at that moment in time or not by just checking the pause screen and averaging out the tallies. Probably the only genuine use that thing has now.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 25, 2022

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Libra is all about unlocking Planetariums or trading the possibility of an insanely broken run later for +6 bombs, coins and keys. It's one of the most situational items and one I usually do not take, unless I need to unlock an alt path door.

I also completely forgot about the tally marks, since afterbirth+ added the Found HUD.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Gnawed leaf is so good for getting bullshit victories.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

LLCoolJD posted:

I'd still like a mod that sped up the game once you got that item or the item that has a chance of healing you some damage every minute b/c they're both incredible items but only if you're willing to idle for dozens of minutes potentially or leave their benefits on the table

something like 'if you've been idle for over 30 seconds, gnawed leaf gives you a massive damage up until you move again' + 'after 30 seconds this heal ticks every second until you move again'

there's probably another few items that incentivize idling like that that you could toss in

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

It's definitely a slower playthrough without really amazing synergies.

Gnawed leaf with Midas' Touch came up most recently for me. Combined with Lil Haunt I cruised. That powerup that drops more bags made the screen pretty cluttered. Daddy long legs would be great with the leaf.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah if you have the leaf and any other item that auto attacks you're going to win every encounter, it's just that some of those encounters are going to take an hour

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

yeah if you have the leaf and any other item that auto attacks you're going to win every encounter, it's just that some of those encounters are going to take an hour

I have definitely left Isaac idling so gnawed leaf/lil haunt could kill Greed

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've been stuck on Tainted Lazrus Greedier and Tainted Keeper Delirium as my last two completion marks for like a week. I would kill for a gnawed leaf + angry fly run or something.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I was under the impression that placenta gave you a heart every 3 minutes and that if you left the game idle it would actuslly speed up significantly.

Checking the wiki it actually just has a chance to refill every minute and i guess luck and confirmation bias made me think it worked differently all this time.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
what a deal!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

ArfJason posted:

what a deal!

How were you able to reach the secret shop without the member card?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

PantsBandit posted:

How were you able to reach the secret shop without the member card?

Member Card wisp.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I finally got Death Certificate! Greedier and Tainted Lazarus is a match made in hell but Mega Mush + Birthright solves a lot of problems.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Man

Nothing like clearing chest in under 35 minutes

Just
Wrap it up quick, have a good time, get on with my day.
Lovely.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

LLCoolJD posted:

I have no idea how else I’d have beat Delirium as the Lost. gently caress that boss.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pants Donkey posted:

I have no idea how else I’d have beat Delirium as the Lost. gently caress that boss.

It's pretty much about getting around the inherent fragility. Blank card + holy card, wooden cross, blanket, psy fly, algiz + tarot cloth + blank rune, stuff like that.

Alternatively, you have to get something that's totally busted. I've had a couple hemolacrya + Jacob's Ladder runs and that just melts everything. The last insane one I had was a Tainted Keeper sacred orb start that led to hemolacrya, sacred heart, tech x, and jacob's ladder. Everything in the game died in one hit; Delirium took about 8.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sometimes delirium will lose most of his health for no reason and thats how i beat it with the lost

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

sometimes delirium will lose most of his health for no reason and thats how i beat it with the lost

My understanding is that's a bug where his segmented forms (Larry Jr and Hollow) where you can kill part of them and sometimes it will obliterate its health.

There was some speculation that it was just a display bug and his health doesn't really change when that happens, but it always seems to me like it really does go lower.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Been replaying on Switch. Finally got Missing Poster, hurray, I think, I can finally start working on Lost runs.

End up finding a Gulp! pill before I can get to a sac room :negative:

I think that's the first Gulp! I've ever seen on this file too to add insult to injury.

The moral of the story is don't take any strange pills if you're holding onto Missing Poster. Learn from my pain.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I thought that still worked?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

flatluigi posted:

I thought that still worked?

Does it? I tried to Google a bit and the initial impression I got was it didn't but I'd love to hear otherwise. Think I may still have that run suspended.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

Does it? I tried to Google a bit and the initial impression I got was it didn't but I'd love to hear otherwise. Think I may still have that run suspended.

You may as well go for it. It's definitely worth failing a run over.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

PantsBandit posted:

the wiki is usually the place to go for most up to date info and it says that gulp/marbles/smelter should all work

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Nice! Well thanks I'll go ahead and give it a shot then.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Just remember to damage yourself down to a half-heart outside the sacrifice room and only take the last bit of damage on the spikes. Don’t end up in the Dark Room like I did.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
It should still work as it's still an item on you. Items you've gulped can also disappear (perfection) if that's a requirement for it to trigger.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just confirmed that it works and as a fun extra you only need to die once. So after proccing dead cat I can continue on with my run.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

TMTrainer/Challenge 45 reminds of the infinite monkey typewriter thing. Yeah some of the monkeys will produce breathtaking works of art, but for every one of those there's an unfathomable amount of boring gibberish. I kept losing runs to poo poo like Genesis so I decided to just start scum until I found an active item with no charge time that did a bunch of damage to an area about 80% the size of a room as fast as you could mash spacebar.

PostNouveau posted:

My understanding is that's a bug where his segmented forms (Larry Jr and Hollow) where you can kill part of them and sometimes it will obliterate its health.

There was some speculation that it was just a display bug and his health doesn't really change when that happens, but it always seems to me like it really does go lower.

In Afterbirth+ I've had that bug where it obviously was real damage. In Repentance I've only seen it as a display bug where all his health just got squeezed down into a little segment of the bar. Maybe both variants of the bug are also possible.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'm sure both variants of the bug are possible, I've personally seen both cases happen where Delirium suddenly loses its HP and then gets immediately obliterated. And some where yes it looks like it loses its HP, but the fight is still as typically as long as it normally is.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

The Moon Monster posted:

TMTrainer/Challenge 45 reminds of the infinite monkey typewriter thing. Yeah some of the monkeys will produce breathtaking works of art, but for every one of those there's an unfathomable amount of boring gibberish. I kept losing runs to poo poo like Genesis so I decided to just start scum until I found an active item with no charge time that did a bunch of damage to an area about 80% the size of a room as fast as you could mash spacebar.

lol, lmao
https://twitter.com/RedMinjo/status/1517958727499874304

e: I was able to figure out that some item or another made enemy projectiles sometimes turn into beds, but only just before these jerks here spit a bunch of beds directly over the hole. No sacrifice room on the floor.

Red Minjo fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 29, 2022

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I was getting the last postit mark on Appolyon (the beast) and had a great run going. I accidentally sucked up data miner and made Void useless. Ended up dying to a stupid falling stalactite at the end.

Are there any good use cases for Data Miner? Or is ed still super salty about them ruining his secrets. Is there a mod to get rid of it or make it somewhat useful

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Fattest PI posted:

I was getting the last postit mark on Appolyon (the beast) and had a great run going. I accidentally sucked up data miner and made Void useless. Ended up dying to a stupid falling stalactite at the end.

Are there any good use cases for Data Miner? Or is ed still super salty about them ruining his secrets. Is there a mod to get rid of it or make it somewhat useful

dataminer is extremely powerful with rock bottom as you can just roll the dice on higher stats indefinitely without ever losing stats to it. otherwise it's garbage

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
data miner is proof that edmund will forever be a little bitch

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Moon Monster posted:

TMTrainer/Challenge 45 reminds of the infinite monkey typewriter thing. Yeah some of the monkeys will produce breathtaking works of art, but for every one of those there's an unfathomable amount of boring gibberish. I kept losing runs to poo poo like Genesis so I decided to just start scum until I found an active item with no charge time that did a bunch of damage to an area about 80% the size of a room as fast as you could mash space bar.

I stubbornly refuse to engage with that challenge and I keep resetting whenever I try it to hopefully get a first screen end trophy but no dice so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nyoro posted:

I stubbornly refuse to engage with that challenge and I keep resetting whenever I try it to hopefully get a first screen end trophy but no dice so far

If you play it enough, something will hand you the trophy. Then you get the great reward of unlocking tmtrainer