Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Are we getting a Red X game?

I long for the sweet embrace of the Red X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Preds blew a 4-0 lead to the Coyotes to end up as the 2nd Wild Card.

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1520272313563947008
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1520272438751383553

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Kilza posted:

Preds blew a 4-0 lead to the Coyotes to end up as the 2nd Wild Card.

They also had the RW tiebreaker and just needed one point to make WC1. Somehow they lost in regulation.

Well, good luck against Colorado!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The Coyotes overcame a 0-3 deficit to beat the Stars 4-3 in overtime, then they overcame a 0-4 deficit to beat the Preds 5-4 in loving regulation

What the gently caress is this

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
i was hoping for Dallas to end up in the Pacific bracket for selfish reasons of being located in western Canada. It's probably a pretty unlikely dream but the idea of the Stars knocking the Flames and Oilers out of the playoffs is just too good :)

The Flames have ran over the Stars in the games the teams have played each other this year, I don't expect that the Stars will be able to do much more than winning a single game (hopefully they don't get swept). There's a theory that this Dallas team is built for the playoffs, and to be fair they have tended to punch above their weight when they do manage to sneak in.. Maybe they got some of that magic of 2020 left in the tank! Go Stars!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Are we doing a predictions thread ?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Are we doing a predictions thread ?

no

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am already brainstorming a good excuse for why the Leafs lost in the first round again. I am thinking of blaming it entirely on Engvall to keep it fresh.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I'm optimistic about the Leafs! They can't choke in the first round if they're playing Tampa, because Tampa is a really good team and doesn't have a history of playoff voodoo against Toronto, so it wouldn't count as a choke. Unless they go up 3-1 in the series again. Then I guess it counts. Okay that's probably what's happening then. Sorry in advance :(

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Just reminded myself how dumb this playoff format is.

First round in the West, in terms of overall ranking within the conference the matchups are:
1 vs 8
2 vs 4
3 vs 7
5 vs 6

It sucks that you have the #2 team playing #4 team, and #5 playing #6 in the first round.

Not to mention that in the 2nd round the #1 team will play the #2 team unless one of them gets eliminated first, just because they're in the same division.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zat posted:

Just reminded myself how dumb this playoff format is.

First round in the West, in terms of overall ranking within the conference the matchups are:
1 vs 8
2 vs 4
3 vs 7
5 vs 6

It sucks that you have the #2 team playing #4 team, and #5 playing #6 in the first round.

Not to mention that in the 2nd round the #1 team will play the #2 team unless one of them gets eliminated first, just because they're in the same division.

But rivalries !

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Nashville is a really fun team this year and even though the Avs are obviously likely to win the series, it could be tougher for them than people think. Josi/Duchene/Forsberg with Saros in goal plus Granlund/Johansen/Jeannot is a nice group.

But yeah Avs are winning.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fawning deference posted:

Nashville is a really fun team this year and even though the Avs are obviously likely to win the series, it could be tougher for them than people think. Josi/Duchene/Forsberg with Saros in goal plus Granlund/Johansen/Jeannot is a nice group.

Saros could be injured though….

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Trivia time! Who was in net for Columbus when the Caps played them in round 1 back in 2018? Columbus was up in the series 2-0, game three went to double overtime and the Caps pulled out the victory and would go on to sweep Columbus right on out the door.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Trivia time! Who was in net for Columbus when the Caps played them in round 1 back in 2018? Columbus was up in the series 2-0, game three went to double overtime and the Caps pulled out the victory and would go on to sweep Columbus right on out the door.

Grubauer

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Between Robertson shooting wide on purpose and scoring on the EBUG anyway and the coyotes charging back to hand the Stars the Pacific, last night was some funny poo poo. Also, Kessel missing the open net on the last game of the season to stay at 399 goals and looking up to the sky like "gently caress, I could have retired".

Stars going deep, baby!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

For the Caps he started those first two games then Holtby took over and entered Holtbeast mode all the way to a cup. But who was in net for Columbus?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Ah, nothing quite like an 830 local start time forced on two central time zone teams by the league while the east coast teams get their normal puck drops

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m delighted we actually get moved from the godawful 7pm start to 730pm. That 30 minutes makes a huge difference with the lovely traffic.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mike_V posted:

Ah, nothing quite like an 830 local start time forced on two central time zone teams by the league while the east coast teams get their normal puck drops

Play hockey people want to watch, scrubs.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I know Turner and ESPN were to each get half the matchups in the first round, but why are the networks alternating the series? I was expecting ESPN to get Series X and TBS/TNT to get Series Y.

Cartoon Man posted:

For the Caps he started those first two games then Holtby took over and entered Holtbeast mode all the way to a cup. But who was in net for Columbus?

:cop:

He's going to be the biggest variable for Fancy Cats.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

i hope corey perry sustains a delightful injury in these playoffs

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

FCP is in Tampa? And he put up 40 points? Fantastic. Hope he continues to be a finals good luck charm.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
where is the prediction thread so I can post Pens in 5

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

fawning deference posted:

Avs will be fully healthy for the first time this season for Game 1, but Nashville is the team that makes me most worried about that staying the case as Nashville lays 30.1 hits per game (1st) compared to the Avs 21.5 hits per game (24th). Then again that's why Nashville averages over 12 minutes 30 seconds of PIM per game (1st) compared to Avs 9 minutes (12th), so maybe the Avs will get some advantages from powerplays.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I will do the Red Xs again this year. I've posted in the predictions thread a format that would make it easier for me to enter and some bonus point questions.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4000767&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post523144168

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Nashville is starting David Rittich. I think the avs might be ok

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mennoknight posted:

Nashville is starting David Rittich. I think the avs might be ok

Yikes

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Who will stats the statsmans? It is I

Remember this from pre-season?

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1445453055642664960

There is only 1 game left between two garbage teams that suck, but i have gone ahead and mathed out some stuff. WPG and SEA still have a game, but everybody's off in the same direction, so it will change little.

A negative means under-estimation, positive over-estimation

The wisdom of the crowd beat the numbers men.

Seattle and Philly, and Montreal are the biggest disappointments
Calgary, New York, and Florida the biggest surprises
Everybody thought Arizona was going to be bad and they still sucked harder than expected.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fermun posted:

Avs will be fully healthy for the first time this season for Game 1, but Nashville is the team that makes me most worried about that staying the case as Nashville lays 30.1 hits per game (1st) compared to the Avs 21.5 hits per game (24th). Then again that's why Nashville averages over 12 minutes 30 seconds of PIM per game (1st) compared to Avs 9 minutes (12th), so maybe the Avs will get some advantages from powerplays.

Honestly, after last night I’m sure the Avs have a couple guys that will be fine to injure some Predators just fine. That was some nasty, but watching it back I’m less surprised that this is the result.

https://twitter.com/nhlplayersafety/status/1520467491063050242?s=21&t=6jbkZCfOekQ2jvk7rk0i7A

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Powershift posted:

Who will stats the statsmans? It is I

Remember this from pre-season?

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1445453055642664960

There is only 1 game left between two garbage teams that suck, but i have gone ahead and mathed out some stuff. WPG and SEA still have a game, but everybody's off in the same direction, so it will change little.

A negative means under-estimation, positive over-estimation

The wisdom of the crowd beat the numbers men.

Seattle and Philly, and Montreal are the biggest disappointments
Calgary, New York, and Florida the biggest surprises
Everybody thought Arizona was going to be bad and they still sucked harder than expected.

This feels very much like the stats are not there yet in order to be predictive

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
hockey is a chaos sport that is almost wholly unpredictable anyway

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The models might do a bit better if you compared (perhaps just 5v5?) goal differentials instead, but then that's their fault for trying to predict point totals including loser points and probably doing a very half-assed job accounting for coaching and goaltending.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
This is not true, hockey has been 100% solved except goaltending, which is unsolvable and explains 100% of all deviation between jfresh's predictions and actual results

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
With all the first round games being on ESPN (and TBS), are those networks actually producing the broadcasts for all the games? Or are they just rebroadcasting the RSN feeds until the second (or third?) round?

EDIT: And I assume, just like with NHL.tv, the cord cutters are screwed and none of this will be on ESPN+?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
there's a couple really good streaming sites i use now that lazyman and bilasport are dead, pm me if you want em :cheers: nhlgames works but it sucks imo

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

OldSenileGuy posted:

With all the first round games being on ESPN (and TBS), are those networks actually producing the broadcasts for all the games? Or are they just rebroadcasting the RSN feeds until the second (or third?) round?

EDIT: And I assume, just like with NHL.tv, the cord cutters are screwed and none of this will be on ESPN+?

MSG is doing all of the rangers first round
Games

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

Cord cutters need ESPN subs to get all the games that weren’t on the RSNs anyway. TNT games you get screwed on though and I’m loathe to trade in the RSN announcers for the not good ones on the national channels regardless. At least Doc did a great job up until this point, but there’s no great national announcer at the moment.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Get Arlo White

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I think I'm rooting for Calgary because I liked Calle Jarnkrok. Excited for my first NHL playoff experience!