Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Lego DC Super Villains: You can commit the greatest crime; stealing candy from a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of games have a tendency to teach you how to play them wrong, and you gotta un-learn the conservative playstyle to actually figure out what works.

Doesn't help that we've spend a decade and change being taught to cling to cover like your actual irl life depends on it.

I feel that way about bioshock infinite.

the way people played it was only to use the... bullet reflect? power as a shield and otherwise stay in cover. Very boring.

The correct way was to use the mass effect vanguard charge power (plus some gear like the hat of 'melees weaken enemy' and pants of 'kills give mana' or whatever). Very fun and high tempo and also the actually most effective strat. Set 'em on fire first so your charge causes an explosion!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kitfox88 posted:

That’s the best way to play Alpha Protocol as well. :hmmyes:

The correct way to play AP is to never get spotted and join up with G22.

Speaking of I loved that the main villain has no loving clue who they are.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Mamkute posted:

Lego DC Super Villains: You can commit the greatest crime; stealing candy from a baby.

But can you steal 40 cakes, or a child's report card

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mazerunner posted:

the way people played it was only to use the... bullet reflect? power as a shield and otherwise stay in cover. Very boring.

The correct way was to use the mass effect vanguard charge power (plus some gear like the hat of 'melees weaken enemy' and pants of 'kills give mana' or whatever). Very fun and high tempo and also the actually most effective strat. Set 'em on fire first so your charge causes an explosion!

Hell yeah, kill bullet sponge ghost mom in like four hits

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gnome de plume posted:

But can you steal 40 cakes

And that's terrible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Those fuckers

https://twitter.com/GOTGTheGame/status/1519755944548352002?s=20&t=paLeuwU3f-HZzzcIT-f7AQ

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

For a minute there I assumed this was one player who racked up 18M button presses.

I'm such a nerd, I love all this background metadata tracking stuff.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mamkute posted:

Can you break into people's houses and sit on their couches until they get home

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Josef bugman posted:

ghosting in AP is so loving difficult though god drat. G22 was fun tho

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
No need to ghost if you put on a baseball cap backwards and shotgun everything that moves

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kitfox88 posted:

ghosting in AP is so loving difficult though god drat. G22 was fun tho
It's extremely easy with the magic stealth skill and annoyingly difficult without it :D

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alpha Protocol also managed to resolve the problem of boss fights in shooter games just being normal enemies but with tons of health, by giving you a skill that lets you fire 8 pistol shots in one trigger press directly at their head turning them back into a normal enemy essentially. It completely breaks the actual boss fights but the pistol chain skill is almost a genius solution for allowing 'big bad' enemies to gain more base HP as the campaign goes on without them feeling bullet spongey.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Josef bugman posted:

You can also kill Sis and then taunt Albatross about it before the final mission so that when you're captured he attacks and tears apart the enemy base just so he can kill you first.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My favorite little thing in Max Payne was the mouse pad the original came with. I still have it stuck in a box.

Gonna bust it out for gamer cred.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Supplying bosses poisoned cocaine, using bosses on other bosses and employing Steven Heck's subway howitzer have also been sadly unrepresented in modern games.

Damnit, now I'm gonna have to play it again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I have been mixing up the playstyle more in Max Payne 3, and generally doing quite a bit better. I think the cover does help, but a lot of it has also been me just getting re-used to the general shooting gameplay again.

My new favorite thing is just how much more contextual the animations are during play. I never get tired of mis-aiming a shootdodge and comically bouncing Max's face off of a wall. And sometimes instantly jumping up from there to QTE a guy so no one is left around who has witnessed your shame.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mazerunner posted:

The problem is that 1) the vanguard charge shows up like halfway through the game via story progression and 2) just like Dishonored which made the same baffling choice equipment items are randomly dispersed per playthrough.

As someone who was lucky enough to get the kills give mana pants early on, a lot of the more infamous sections of the game were a breeze.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah that's more for the opposite thread but Bioshock infinite is hugely limited by the vigors being doled out as you progress, vs earlier Bioshock titles where you could have access to a semi-exclusive handful to start out. For a game that goes on wild tangents about determinism and choice, the gameplay ironically doesn't let you choose anything!

I did really like the vintage Americana versions of the plasmids. The story of how they were viewed through the tears and conceptualized by Fink I thought was really cool, because it's not like you can just drink a plasmid, so there's still surely tons of Lutece science involved in converting them to the new form. And then once the DLCs arrived you got a glimpse into THEIR Rapture and you can see that in the Infinite canon, Rapture is basically the same but they've swapped the usage of Tonics and hypos from the original game, so plasmids too are not injectable. It was a clever way to explain a video game having "this thing from the other game in the series but it's got a different name now!"

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:04 on Apr 30, 2022

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It's been ten years since I played the original Stanley parable, so naturally I told the remake that I never played the original so I can get to the new content after a refresher.

I just found an ending I don't remember ever finding on my second as-unspoiled-as-i-can-be run, the original one being "listen to everything he says but oops I typed in the code I wasn't supposed to know" and this time being "I'm gonna gently caress with this guy about using an elevator" from what I presume would have been in the original game

What the gently caress

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked how once I got access to the New Content they recorded platform specific lines, like I'm playing on a PS5 and the Narrator talks about it being a Playstation port.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CJacobs posted:

Alpha Protocol also managed to resolve the problem of boss fights in shooter games just being normal enemies but with tons of health, by giving you a skill that lets you fire 8 pistol shots in one trigger press directly at their head turning them back into a normal enemy essentially. It completely breaks the actual boss fights but the pistol chain skill is almost a genius solution for allowing 'big bad' enemies to gain more base HP as the campaign goes on without them feeling bullet spongey.

That's...not a solution to anything though, that's an imbalanced skill.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Morpheus posted:

That's...not a solution to anything though, that's an imbalanced skill.

I disagree. Its implementation in Alpha Protocol is pretty bad but it doesn't have to be. We were just talking about Max Payne 3, that game gives enemies helmets and from then on each headshot now requires two shots. Well, in that game you can dual wield guns so each mouse click fires two bullets already and thus the game remains balanced. But even then, enemies still go down in one headshot so it's about finding an angle or exposing their dome rather than just shooting it. Alpha Protocol didn't do this, hence why it breaks boss fights, but giving enemies helmets you'd otherwise have to shoot through instead of just a bigger HP bar is a wonderful way to add RPG mechanics to a shooter. Didn't take chain pistol shot? You don't get easy headshot access anymore, etc.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:46 on Apr 30, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

tight aspirations posted:

Supplying bosses poisoned cocaine, using bosses on other bosses and employing Steven Heck's subway howitzer have also been sadly unrepresented in modern games.

Damnit, now I'm gonna have to play it again.

Shadows of Mordor/War has at least two of those, kinda.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Yeah, I like Alpha Protocol but man the actual gameplay mechanics are really poo poo. Basically if you go stealth , pistols and whichever tree let you reset cooldowns everything is trivial, if you take anything else it's really loving tedious. Really if you are playing it nowadays, look up the files so you can mess with the damage or just cheat so you can avoid the levelscaling.

Hel has a new favorite as of 09:10 on Apr 30, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, people love Alpha Protocol but generally speaking it's not for the gameplay.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CJacobs posted:

I disagree. Its implementation in Alpha Protocol is pretty bad but it doesn't have to be. We were just talking about Max Payne 3, that game gives enemies helmets and from then on each headshot now requires two shots. Well, in that game you can dual wield guns so each mouse click fires two bullets already and thus the game remains balanced. But even then, enemies still go down in one headshot so it's about finding an angle or exposing their dome rather than just shooting it. Alpha Protocol didn't do this, hence why it breaks boss fights, but giving enemies helmets you'd otherwise have to shoot through instead of just a bigger HP bar is a wonderful way to add RPG mechanics to a shooter. Didn't take chain pistol shot? You don't get easy headshot access anymore, etc.

But that's like saying a button that instantly kills enemies is a good solution to enemies that are invincible. No typical player is going to avoid it simply to make the game harder, unless they're doing some run where they're specifically avoiding it.

Like, if chain shot wasn't present in the game, it wouldn't feel like less a game, it would simply be a little harder. And even then I've played through AP a couple times and I don't think I ever thought to use it so it can't be that much harder.

Edit: I reread that you said the implementation is AP is bad anyway, so nvm.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There was that Twitter thread a while back about how Vagrant Story was a graphical masterpiece, despite being the first 3d project by the team that did the largely 2d FF tactics. The game cheated the effect of soft lighting by straight up painting the environments and character models with lit areas.

What other games achieve graphical prowess through sleight of hand? I can't believe Arkham Knight ran on Unreal 3.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m not like, super duper familiar with it but one of the last titles on the NES, Mr. Gimmick, has a lot of pushing the NES past what people thought it could do with workarounds.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I can play a load of games with great combat, but Alpha Protocol is one I keep coming back to the responsiveness and fun of the story.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I shouldn't have slept on Disco Elysium. I was sold on it after 30 minutes of playing, game is a blast.

So far my favorite thing is that it just let me do me, I didn't even start trying to investigate the dead body until about 9pm

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You investigated the body on the very first day? Oh, that's cute.

There is an achievement for finishing the game without ever interacting with it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mierenneuker posted:

You investigated the body on the very first day? Oh, that's cute.

There is an achievement for finishing the game without ever interacting with it.

Switch doesn't have achievements ):

And really I just wanted his boots. I don't know what I'll do with them but drat it I have his boots

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Len posted:

Switch doesn't have achievements ):

And really I just wanted his boots. I don't know what I'll do with them but drat it I have his boots

They look snazzy! Kim doesn't like it, but he can (in this specific instance) suck an egg.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Philippe posted:

They look snazzy! Kim doesn't like it, but he can (in this specific instance) suck an egg.

i haven't gotten to clean them out yet but i fully expect there to be a "what boots? i don't know what you're talking about" option when i wear them

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Disco Elysium rules. My first play through I tried to punch a child, missed, and died from the humiliation.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I was sold on the game when I tried to sneak out without paying my hotel bill and failed

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

For twelve years you've been asking "gently caress does Cuno care?" This is Cuno speaking. Cuno doesn't loving care

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Qwertycoatl posted:

I was sold on the game when I tried to sneak out without paying my hotel bill and failed

It's so good

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1518331238892728321?t=88NWSNf-CdPr7YCStqMOyw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There was that Twitter thread a while back about how Vagrant Story was a graphical masterpiece, despite being the first 3d project by the team that did the largely 2d FF tactics. The game cheated the effect of soft lighting by straight up painting the environments and character models with lit areas.

What other games achieve graphical prowess through sleight of hand? I can't believe Arkham Knight ran on Unreal 3.

The N64 Banjo-Kazooie game did shadows by hand-painting them into the mesh. And I do mean the mesh; painting shadows into textures is certainly possible, but would use up an inordinate amount of texture memory. But all meshes store an extra byte of data per vertex that's called the "vertex color", which is typically used to tint the mesh at that point. So they made a mesh that had vertices where they wanted the edges of shadows to be, then set those vertex colors to be darker. And then they wrote a system to sample the vertex color underneath Banjo's feet, and alter all of his vertex colors to match that, so that the character could be in shadow when they stood in a shadowed area.

Along similar lines, on the NES you could only have 4 colors in any sprite, and one of those colors was transparent. Sprites are only 8x8 pixels, so it was common to build up larger objects out of multiple sprites, which gave you some wiggle room so long as you didn't need more than 4 colors in any 8x8 region. But going too hog-wild with sprites would lead to horrible flicker issues, because the NES could only paint 8 sprites per scanline. Plus, you could only have so many distinct color palettes in use at one time anyway. What the Dragon Quest games did, starting with DQ2, was to combine sprites with backgrounds to get up to 7 colors per 8x8 region. That is, each enemy "sprite" would have its 4 colors, but wherever the color was "transparent", the background would show through, and the background had four colors to use as well. One of those colors was black, because the fights took place on a black background, so black stood in for "transparent". And it only really worked because the enemies are completely static. But it still gave you twice as many colors to work with per enemy.

If you want to get really into the weeds of the Atari 2600, you might enjoy this LP of Solaris, a game that has no business looking anywhere near as good as it does, considering the extremely constrained hardware it was running on.