Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel

Elden ring chat

Finger Prince posted:

I've been to most of the caves and catecombs I can get to, and I'm tough enough now that I can clear them out, except for the bosses at the end of them. So I just kinda murder hobo around and replenish the enemies by touching the graces and murder hobo around some more. Eventually I guess I'll be a high enough level to attempt a boss, but I think I'll try the astrologer class and see how that goes.

Fun game: pick a random number between 1 and 360 degrees. then travel in that direction until you hit a literal wall. rinse and repeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

itry posted:

That's pretty loving cool tbh

The only bad thing about startropics is that the last area is loving brutal

otherwise it's a really, really good nes game that came late in the nes lifecycle

EDIT: i dunno why startropics 2 was on the nes as well but I didn't like it as much

Finger Prince

kalel posted:

Elden ring chat

Fun game: pick a random number between 1 and 360 degrees. then travel in that direction until you hit a literal wall. rinse and repeat

Yeah it's pretty cool but sometimes you run in to a bad dude who kills you before you get to a wall. I was exploring the beach one time and found a path back up the cliff, it was dark, I heard a groan, then got conked on the head from behind by some ogre dude I didn't know was there.

kalel

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah it's pretty cool but sometimes you run in to a bad dude who kills you before you get to a wall. I was exploring the beach one time and found a path back up the cliff, it was dark, I heard a groan, then got conked on the head from behind by some ogre dude I didn't know was there.

I love when that happens! :D

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

zork chat i have multiple infocom games in original packaging and they are prized possessions

Bobby Deluxe

my parents came down over the weekend and dropped off the last of my old posessions from their loft, including a bunch of old game manuals and half a monkey island code wheel

Farecoal

There he go

Bo-Pepper posted:

zork chat i have multiple infocom games in original packaging and they are prized possessions

I'm gonna open them and crinkle the cardboard :twisted:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

if you molest my pocket fluff from the hitchhikers game i will murder your family

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
just walking along in this weird place and theres a fuckin t rex rottweiler in my path

kalel

Sarah Cenia posted:

just walking along in this weird place and theres a fuckin t rex rottweiler in my path

I will never ever get tired of posts like these. these games are so freaking weird and cool and I love them

more falafel please

forums poster

Bo-Pepper posted:

if you molest my pocket fluff from the hitchhikers game i will murder your family

does it come with actual pocket fluff? what about a buffered analgesic? does it come with an explanation of what a buffered analgesic is that a 9yo american would understand because that would have saved me hours

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

more falafel please posted:

does it come with actual pocket fluff? what about a buffered analgesic? does it come with an explanation of what a buffered analgesic is that a 9yo american would understand because that would have saved me hours

it does come with fluff! and a microscopic space fleet! and peril sensitive sunglasses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef1Pm00BGlc

as for the analgesic definition i'm unsure though couldn't you have looked at it when in your inventory?

Finger Prince

Finally got a chance to play some more elden ring. I guess I know what people mean when they say git gud with souls games. I found a grace spot next to two guards and a footman and I think I just need to grind them about 100 times to get enough runes to level up some more. It's costing me over 2000/level now. I die a lot and I die a lot before I can retrieve my runes so for me it's kill a few dudes, reset them, rinse and repeat. I'm kinda at the end of where I can get before I run in to enemies that are too tough. I found a cool looking crossbow in the roundtable castle, but I need another strength before I can try it out.

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Finger Prince posted:

Finally got a chance to play some more elden ring. I guess I know what people mean when they say git gud with souls games. I found a grace spot next to two guards and a footman and I think I just need to grind them about 100 times to get enough runes to level up some more. It's costing me over 2000/level now. I die a lot and I die a lot before I can retrieve my runes so for me it's kill a few dudes, reset them, rinse and repeat. I'm kinda at the end of where I can get before I run in to enemies that are too tough. I found a cool looking crossbow in the roundtable castle, but I need another strength before I can try it out.

If you're super desperate for runes, you can always ride around the open world on Torrent and crush the skulls you see with glowing eyes. They drop items that you can use to gain 200 runes each.

Also if you offer yourself up to be summoned, you get to keep any runes you acquire while summoned, even if you die early. You get less runes per kill but it's much easier to kill guys when they have more than one target.

Finger Prince

Yeah gently caress this game for a while. It's put me in a mood. 3000 runes, down the drain again.

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Can you summon homies yet? They're helpful. I don't remember where you get the thing that lets you do it but you can get it early. You can't summon ghost buds everywhere but can in most places with lots of enemies.

Finger Prince

Jolo posted:

Can you summon homies yet? They're helpful. I don't remember where you get the thing that lets you do it but you can get it early. You can't summon ghost buds everywhere but can in most places with lots of enemies.

I got some wolves and a cool jellyfish so far. I think this game is something I have to be in the mood to play, and not "need to block out the construction noise, might as well play this", otherwise I'm gonna have a bad time. It can be hella frustrating if you aren't feeling it.

Finger Prince

What ticked me off this time is I was clearing out a cave full of mining trolls, which cost me almost all my arrows, only to find a boss fight I had no hope of winning at the end and no way back to the surface without losing all the runes I'd acquired. Like hours of gameplay with nothing to show for it but 40 fewer arrows. Oh I think I got a glintstone scrap, so not all for naught.

Jolo

Absolutely, once I start getting annoyed I have to make myself do something else. For a lot of enemies if your attacks bounce off like those stone guys you are using a damage type they're strong against. Those stone guys will make slash attacks bounce off but striking weapons like a mace or a club will do more damage and not bounce off. Also if you find an enemy that looks like a big black blob of gum full of swords, those are weak to fire. You can jab a torch into them and they'll die way faster than to other attacks.

I hope you find some fun with the game. Sometimes it takes a bit to click. My friend was having an awful time and wishing he could return it but came around on it and now he has like 150 hours played.

Philippe

(she/her)

Jolo posted:

You can only summon homies in Saints Row.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
:rimshot:
eyyyy

in elden ring,
if i put down my summon sign at a grace site, is that the best way to get summoned into someone's game for some non-boss pve? or is there some way to speed it up so i can co-op more often?

also, if i put down my sign and then start exploring an area, will i still get summoned or is it best to hang around?

I Was The Fury

Sarah Cenia posted:

:rimshot:
eyyyy

in elden ring,
if i put down my summon sign at a grace site, is that the best way to get summoned into someone's game for some non-boss pve? or is there some way to speed it up so i can co-op more often?

also, if i put down my sign and then start exploring an area, will i still get summoned or is it best to hang around?

For the first question, I drop my signs next to the summoning pools, but distant enough that it's clear I'm wanting to be summoned at this exact spot.
Second question: you can explore, the game should tell you if you wander too far and get the summon sign deleted

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
thanks!!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah gently caress this game for a while. It's put me in a mood. 3000 runes, down the drain again.

ever since video games abandoned the concept of "lives" or "continues" there have been a lot of attempts to figure out consequences for failure and i honestly think the lost runes/blood/souls mechanic is pretty brilliant. i'm around 50 hours in, and this is the first from software game i've played, and in that time i've lost a pile of runes in various ways, but in the same way that having a dwarf fortress spiral out of control and self immolate or having a game of civ go south immediately it is very funny, and in it's way, fun.

i hope it clicks for you because it's extremely satisfying when it does. also don't worry about the runes you lost, there's always more.

Jolo posted:

Also if you find an enemy that looks like a big black blob of gum full of swords, those are weak to fire. You can jab a torch into them and they'll die way faster than to other attacks.

oh my goodness gracious thank you so much for this i hate those guys i'm gonna go torch a bunch of them for REVENGE

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Dukes Mayo Clinic

Heather Papps posted:

oh my goodness gracious thank you so much for this i hate those guys i'm gonna go torch a bunch of them for REVENGE

kalel posted:

I will never ever get tired of posts like these. these games are so freaking weird and cool and I love them

15-25% of the fun of FromSoft games for me is reading wild anecdotes from other people’s experiences or watching someone play through an area I’ve visited, but they do it completely differently. I’ve got a wizard at level 217 about halfway through NG+ and I’m still finding new poo poo.

Finger Prince

I like the notes from other players in elden ring. Can be a bit spoilery, but it's really useful. Stuff like "it's safe to jump here" or "try using fire". Those mining trolls, I found out (after realizing what the note meant by "try using fire") if you shoot their ore backpack with a fire arrow, KABLOOEY!! And you can catch another dude in the blast and take him out too, or near enough.
One thing I noticed before I quit yesterday is there's a menu setting for auto-aim on, and I might try that because I'm finding the camera kind of janky and auto aim might help that. Especially with the crossbow, I don't think you're meant to use it without using aim (not zoom aim like the short bow).

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

if you're really looking to level up fast just go and farm the giant that walks up from the beach behind the church of elleh near the start, it's 1000 runes every time and you can melt him easily at a distance with just the starting astrologer spell

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
i chose the battle nun class and it was totally worth it.

i may be a coward in a swordfight but fools can't step to my fireball spell.
until they move a little and i throw it right past them.
or it harmlessly explodes at their feet.

but still...

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Rockman Reserve posted:

if you're really looking to level up fast just go and farm the giant that walks up from the beach behind the church of elleh near the start, it's 1000 runes every time and you can melt him easily at a distance with just the starting astrologer spell

There's also that downed dragon by Fort Faroth. Completely motionless and on death it gives you something like 90K runes. Even with a bleed weapon prepare to whack away at it for a while, but once you're done, you'll have a leg up on starting out.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

Jolo

mysterious frankie posted:

There's also that downed dragon by Fort Faroth. Completely motionless and on death it gives you something like 90K runes. Even with a bleed weapon prepare to whack away at it for a while, but once you're done, you'll have a leg up on starting out.

That must be what my friend killed early on. He used some item that boosted runes and killed it and was higher level than I am at 30 hrs when he was like 3 hours in haha.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i can't kill that dragon, it's too sad

mysterious frankie

Heather Papps posted:

i can't kill that dragon, it's too sad

The way it's laying there like it's alive, just barely, but hasn't been able to move for a long time... you're doing it a favor, but because it's a souls game the method of assisted suicide has to be the darkest, yet silliest possible way, ie a guy in a thong bonking grandma dragon 217 times on the tail with a blinged out severed witch finger.

----------------

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

wait where the heck is fort faroth, i've beaten godrick already and have been all around the area of limgrave before that as well as exploring a fair amount of sellia and caelid and somehow i missed that

mysterious frankie

Rockman Reserve posted:

wait where the heck is fort faroth, i've beaten godrick already and have been all around the area of limgrave before that as well as exploring a fair amount of sellia and caelid and somehow i missed that

it's over in caelid. if you found the warp to the temple up in the northern tip you can ride south from there, ignoring everything you encounter, and eventually you'll come to a fort with a site of grace, some fire walls and a fallen dragon in front of it. the dragon looks dead, but it's only mostly dead, and so you can send it to dragon heaven for a bunch of grace.

----------------

I Was The Fury

There are over 300 sites of grace in this friggin game, it's huge

mysterious frankie

I Was The Fury posted:

There are over 300 sites of grace in this friggin game, it's huge

It super is. I think I dumped a few hundred hours into it before I stopped playing and I don't think I found everything (I mean the obvious everything, not the hidden stuff that I'm sure is there and will be found by better players than me).

I started playing Rogue Legacy 2 after they released version 1.0 last week. It's pretty fun, and a nice step down from Elden Ring. I jump in for an hour every day and do runs to grind gold & upgrade my castle\stats.

----------------

Enfys

The ocean is calling and I must go

Rogue Legacy 2 is a lot of fun

Heather Papps

hello friend

i absolutely loved the first rogue legacy, and have had the second since it was available as an early access thing but my old pc which for some reason could run fallout 4 and metal gear five was not able to run rl2 consistently.

anyways now i have a big fancy new computer and i've sort of put my time into games that were impossible to run rather than stuff that had slowdown issues and i've started a new file, cause this game is fun.

part of me wishes it was still pixels.

mysterious frankie

Heather Papps posted:

i absolutely loved the first rogue legacy, and have had the second since it was available as an early access thing but my old pc which for some reason could run fallout 4 and metal gear five was not able to run rl2 consistently.

anyways now i have a big fancy new computer and i've sort of put my time into games that were impossible to run rather than stuff that had slowdown issues and i've started a new file, cause this game is fun.

part of me wishes it was still pixels.

what was happening when you tried to run it? they just released an update to version 1.0 yesterday that was supposed to help with crashing. from the patch notes:
--
GAME CRASHING FREQUENTLY?

For players that are experiencing intermittent crashing, we have added the OpenGL graphics API to help mitigate this. In order to play the OpenGL version, in the game’s Launch Options (found in the Properties on Steam and in your Account Settings on Epic under Additional Command Line Arguments), add the following line: -force-glcore32

This is a temporary measure as we continue to seek a more permanent solution. Please note that this fix is only for players experiencing repeated crashes during a run. If you are running into a crash at the launch of the game, or only in very rare scenarios, please send an email to support@cellardoorgames.com and we’ll help you out.
--

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

mysterious frankie posted:

what was happening when you tried to run it? they just released an update to version 1.0 yesterday that was supposed to help with crashing. from the patch notes:

there was significant framerate drop in areas with environmental effects, like the snowy/misty biome was nearly unplayable. it runs perfectly on my current hardware and i'm pretty sure the problems were because i had built that pc when skyrim came out, to play skyrim, which is now... 11 years ago holy poo poo time flies.