Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Dabi can't smell bad because if he did then everyone would band together and force him to take a bath. Deku smelled back and when that happened he was forced into a bath. Thus Dabi can't smell bad.

People in the setting like Deku and literally nobody likes Dabi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Dabi probably literally smells like burnt flesh, which is unpleasant for psychological reasons in humans to begin with.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 1, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

His brother likes him!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ImpAtom posted:

His brother likes him!

Five Weenies is a moron tho.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Dabi can't smell bad because if he did then everyone would band together and force him to take a bath. Deku smelled back and when that happened he was forced into a bath. Thus Dabi can't smell bad.

This is the hill I'm dying on that I can't believe for the story. I cannot believe they'd have him around smelling all funky in their hideouts, unless Shigaraki secretly has the ability to set his Quirk to stun and just slaps the stink off of Dabi.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Dabit probably literally smells like burnt flesh, which is unpleasant for psychological reasons in humans to begin with.

If that's all they mean, then okay, I can understand that.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RareAcumen posted:

This is the hill I'm dying on that I can't believe for the story. I cannot believe they'd have him around smelling all funky in their hideouts, unless Shigaraki secretly has the ability to set his Quirk to stun and just slaps the stink off of Dabi.

If that's all they mean, then okay, I can understand that.

Yeah like, burnt flesh is literally unpleasant for psychological reasons (it means someone is burning and it might be you) old burnt flesh likely isn't much better. Dabi isn't likely to smell bad, just unpleasant in a psychological way due to all the burnt/dead flesh stapled onto him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Really bad burn wounds can also get really easily infected and gross and septic, which brings its own set of horrific smells to the table.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Like smells aside, I do not see how this boy is attractive in any way. Like....imagine the tactile sensation.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What if somehow the dude just smelled like barbecue

What if his condition attracted people to him on a smellular level

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Funky Valentine posted:

I maintain that it would be much better if Dabi interrupted his evil laugh after that moment to scream bloody murder because the dye remover got into his burn wounds.

But then we wouldn't get Dabi's sassy little dance, the unambiguous best part of a pretty good villain arc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Like smells aside, I do not see how this boy is attractive in any way. Like....imagine the tactile sensation.

I mean you can say the same for a tremendously number of both male and female characters who are absurdly popular. The realism isn't the point.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Horikoshi flat out said his inspiration for Dabi's design was a zombie, where people want him to be Frankenstein's Monster (The misunderstood being) rather than what he is (The very understood psycho). It's in fact one of MHA's strengths that none of the villains are "I was tricked into villainy and it's all because society doesn't understand me." Even in a case like Gentle, he willingly chose that if he could not receive recognition as a hero, it would be as a villain. That's not to say villains weren't misunderstood by society, but that misunderstanding is not the primary cause of their villainy. In short, the villains have agency in their decisions. I dunno it's a very nuanced position because the elements of society as a reason are there but the ultimate act upon those actions are always the characters themselves, I'd say the manga doesn't try to "Justify" their actions so you can't go and nod and say "Ah see, and that's why all the murders are acceptable."

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Shinjobi posted:

What if somehow the dude just smelled like barbecue

What if his condition attracted people to him on a smellular level

Which regional style of barbecue

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kanos posted:

Every wacky new application of his quirk that Koichi pulled out did literally nothing but kept him alive for a few more seconds. I really, really don't understand where the "OP" complaints come from; he didn't even end up beating the bad guy, he merely survived long enough for the bad guy to burn himself out.

I like how Koichi's quirk is just objectively superior to Ingenium's (either brother) in every single way.

But yeah it isn't quite "OP" compared with other high-end heroes. It *is* extremely good, like enough so to become one of the top heroes in the country, but other people also have goofy strong abilities (like Shoto or Hawks or Best Jeanist; Best Jeanist is actually a kind of good comparison, since he also has a weird quirk taken to a ridiculous extreme).

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah like, burnt flesh is literally unpleasant for psychological reasons (it means someone is burning and it might be you) old burnt flesh likely isn't much better. Dabi isn't likely to smell bad, just unpleasant in a psychological way due to all the burnt/dead flesh stapled onto him.

For some reason the bolded makes me laugh

It might be you!

Arist posted:

Midoriya is a perfectly smooth, frictionless orb designed to repel all potentially interesting character conflict

Suddenly out of nowhere it's going to be revealed that Midoriya has secretly been murdering cats. Ochaco opens the door to Deku's dorm room, only to find a feline with its ribs all splayed open.

Character friction!

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 1, 2022

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RareAcumen posted:

My headcanon is Super Shigaraki has been using his upgraded quirk to remotely remove all the grime and poo poo from Dabi’s stanky stanky self

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

In the databook it's also got a comment from Miriko saying Dabi stinks too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

My headcanon is Super Shigaraki has been using his upgraded quirk to remotely remove all the grime and poo poo from Dabi’s stanky stanky self

Yeah, but before this though. Before Shigaraki had all 7 Chaos Emeralds.

I thought it was just that the man doesn't shower or use soap or something. It just being a wound issue makes more sense. It's not like he can just go see that evil doctor whenever for a fresh wound cleaning and mummy wrap.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Onmi posted:

Sorry, I saw Mirko and forgot what we were talking about.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Onmi posted:

Dabi should look like that all the time tbh.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Onmi posted:

Nah that's the goop from the teleportation quirk AfO began using after Kurogiri got captured. Everyone always comments that it smells horrible and the teleportation always looks extremely unpleasant for people being teleported. Not saying that Dabi doesn't stink, tho. :v:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

ImpAtom posted:

His brother likes him!

to be fair shoto's literally never spent more than a half hour with the guy.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Onmi posted:

It's in fact one of MHA's strengths that none of the villains are "I was tricked into villainy and it's all because society doesn't understand me." Even in a case like Gentle, he willingly chose that if he could not receive recognition as a hero, it would be as a villain. That's not to say villains weren't misunderstood by society, but that misunderstanding is not the primary cause of their villainy. In short, the villains have agency in their decisions. I dunno it's a very nuanced position because the elements of society as a reason are there but the ultimate act upon those actions are always the characters themselves, I'd say the manga doesn't try to "Justify" their actions so you can't go and nod and say "Ah see, and that's why all the murders are acceptable."

I would've agreed with this at one point but I feel like it's increasingly clear Hori has no interesting place left to take it except "well, I guess we probably shouldn't traumatize and abandon children." At one point the disparate backgrounds of the league characters felt like it implied something meaningful about their possible resolutions but that died with Twice, I think.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hey now, maybe we'll actually do something with Toga rather than just having her say the same stuff to Uraraka again

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Kanos posted:

I'm still confused what people see in a Dabi/Hawks pairing. poo poo's got a decent chunk of fanfiction in AO3 for some reason.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

amigolupus posted:

I'm still confused what people see in a Dabi/Hawks pairing. poo poo's got a decent chunk of fanfiction in AO3 for some reason.

Pairings are often not guided by any form of chemistry or character interaction, just the desire to see two character designs they like kiss.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

amigolupus posted:

they are just too weak to like Endhawks

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

amigolupus posted:

They're the people that think Endeavor is too old for Hawks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

amigolupus posted:

I remember when Samurai Jack Season 5 had a ton of fanart of Ashi and one of the Scotsman's daughters despite the fact that these characters ever meet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I remember when Samurai Jack Season 5 had a ton of fanart of Ashi and one of the Scotsman's daughters despite the fact that these characters ever meet.

Oh man, wait until I tell you about the Cloud and Samus Aran power couple.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Someones never seen Sailor Moon x DBZ

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kild posted:

Someones never seen Sailor Moon x DBZ

Or the Sonic X DB GT Mistakes into Miracles 9/11 pic

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Pull up, thread, pull up!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Nonexistence posted:

Pull up, thread, pull up!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi is back to sketching since it's a break.

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1521053621806243840?s=20&t=2ZEjnpDRGB0alLpI0xSafg

First full-on drawing of visible Hagekure.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

horikoshi now unburdened by keeping hagakure a secret

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hagekure's design reminds me of something else but I can't place it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's a good Hagakure

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Is this the first Hagakure he's drawn since we saw her?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
First where she is visible, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Visible Invisible girl is good.