Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

loudog999 posted:

Anyone else having a hard time just buckling down and actually playing a game on this? I’m still in the period that I’m just downloading stuff to see what runs and tinkering with it more than playing anything. This weekend I’m going to try to actually start playing in earnest. So far I’ve got what I’m going to play narrowed down to Metal Gear V, Death Stranding, No Mans Sky, or Sekiro. I’ve started all of them before but haven’t put more than a handful of hours in any.

Yup, I'm in the same boat - games loaded and ready to go, but haven't sat down with it (yet) for a decent gaming session. Did play a little Nova Drift last night, and it played well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I am enjoying my rogue legacy 2 machine

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Using Moonlight and just streaming my desktop to my phone or laptop screen is so good and low latency I lost my use case for the Deck. I still kinda want my toy though. :shepspends:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

haldolium posted:

don't make me nervous :ohdear:. Just got my return mail and I hope the new one will be just working

Wouldn't have thought I'd miss the thing as much. Turned out to be much more as just nice to have.

Don’t know if you’re aware what the “fan lottery” is, but there’s two manufacturers Valve sourced fans from. They both perform equally well, it’s just that one makes a mildly annoying whistling noise as it runs. Otherwise my replacement Deck works great, I wouldn’t be too worried about your unit being compromised.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

a tip: if you need to do typing heavy stuff on the desktop mode but dont have an usb c hub or bt keyboard you can connect to the deck with the steam link app from your pc

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
More reports:

Verified
- Nuclear Blaze - short platformer where you're a firefighter responding to a huge fire, and where you end up discovering some weird stuff, your only weapon is a water hose
- Darq - mindbending puzzle platformer with creepy atmosphere, each level is unique, very short as well, similar vibes to Inside
- The Long Dark - pretty much THE survival game where you fight against the elements more than enemies (there are wolves and bears, though rare and hard to kill), some items can be pretty well hidden behind furniture and stuff so the small screen can sometimes be an obstacle
- Road 96 - roadtrip/visual novel with choice, you're a teen trying to get to the border to escape the (faux?) US, nice atmosphere and music

Unknown
- The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles - despite being untested, the game worked for me as well as any Verified game, perfect game for this form factor
- AI: The Somnium Files - the game runs beautifully and is another perfect choice for the Deck, but: do not turn on the Half-Rate Shading otherwise some text in the game is unreadable, also it has a launcher that you can easily control with a touch but don't open the graphics setting because the buttons to confirm or cancel are outside the screen area so you'd have to force quit the game
- Retro Machina - the game itself works without a problem but unfortunately no cutscenes and they are not skippable if I didn't miss anything

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

How's the suspend mode in this thing? And how does it work when an online connection is not active all the time (desktop Steam is awful about this)?

Like, any handhelds I've ever played games on since the DS era, I keep the same game running for days and just suspend/resume here and there, especially with VNs and JRPGs, and if the Deck can't do this properly then yikes.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

How's the suspend mode in this thing? And how does it work when an online connection is not active all the time (desktop Steam is awful about this)?

Like, any handhelds I've ever played games on since the DS era, I keep the same game running for days and just suspend/resume here and there, especially with VNs and JRPGs, and if the Deck can't do this properly then yikes.

It's a PC, so suspend is pretty much just hibernation. It's completely shut down during that time, no downloads or background work at all, but generally games should sleep and wake fine without knowing anything is happening. Wakeup has been near-instant on everything I've tried it with.

And it's Steam, so yeah, it really wants an online connection at all times. Same as desktop steam you can explicitly switch it to offline mode, but if it just loses connection unexpectedly it'll yell at you and sulk.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Pirate Jet posted:

Don’t know if you’re aware what the “fan lottery” is, but there’s two manufacturers Valve sourced fans from. They both perform equally well, it’s just that one makes a mildly annoying whistling noise as it runs. Otherwise my replacement Deck works great, I wouldn’t be too worried about your unit being compromised.

I know, yeah. But especially with everything handheld/living room related I don't want that. The not-so-noisy already can be comparibly loud under load, I absolutely do not want another high pitch frequencey on top of that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Can Steam Deck run final fantasy XI?

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
The framecap being able to be set to 40 helps a good deal with Elden Ring, at least on medium settings (with a bump in AA). Most of the time it's pretty silky unless it dips, but it definitely feels more playable.

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!
I accidentally missed my window to buy one because I thought I had until the end of the day yesterday and needed until then for money to clear. So I emailed steam support and they gave me what was basically another 3 day window to buy at midnight. So if ya gently caress up they seem pretty good about giving you a shot to get one of ya just reach out.

It’s coming soon! I will be taking massive dumps and becoming Elden Lord at the same time.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

search through my posts in this thread and you'll find my tutorial for setting up file transfer without it

Worked perfectly, thank you.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lordfrikk posted:

- Retro Machina - the game itself works without a problem but unfortunately no cutscenes and they are not skippable if I didn't miss anything
you could try running it with GE-Proton, that tends to work for games where regular proton doesnt support their cutscene codecs

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arkage posted:

The framecap being able to be set to 40 helps a good deal with Elden Ring, at least on medium settings (with a bump in AA). Most of the time it's pretty silky unless it dips, but it definitely feels more playable.

Yeah I really can’t wait for this to come to the stable build.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Azubah posted:

Worked perfectly, thank you.

np

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I really can’t wait for this to come to the stable build.

yeah. 30 can feel a little gummy to me after getting used to higher rates on my ps5.

40-45 would be nice. don't need the drain of 60.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Ran home at lunch to take my Deck off the porch and put it safely inside.

Now I'm stuck at work for another three hours...

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If only you had a portable video game system to entertain yourself while at work...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

pseudorandom name posted:

If only you had a portable video game system to entertain yourself while at work...

I play with my deck at home, I play with my deck at work

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

i put 30 games on my deck, but all i want to do is play vampire survivors.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have 74 games installed through steam, and a few games from itch.io that doesn't really seem to launch right inside of game mode (I'll have to try some Lutris integration with my Amazon/GOG stuff)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I've been playing around with games that Just Work but I really need to cycle back on lutris, it was complaining about not finding wine drivers or something and I never went back to try and figure it out

also I guess it's a failsafe but the steamos-readonly flag seems to pop back on every reset and blow away the gpg keys arch linux's package manager seems to use for package verification which is a little irritating tbh

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Insanite posted:

i put 30 games on my deck, but all i want to do is play vampire survivors.

It’s a really good vampire survivors platform.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Has something strange happen today. I don’t know if it is because I swapped over to beta or not but I tried launching Dead Rising 2 and it would just go back to the launcher, tried verifying the install and it would not update and showed something like a year update time remaining. When I looked in system settings my 265gb sd card only showed 2.9 gb. Luckily it looked like a complete shut down and restart resolved it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Managed to get daggerfall unity all installed and added to steam.

It wasn’t exactly straightforward but did some google work to make it happen.

I’m still not used to the Linux file system.

The unity version has full controller support too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Minor UI issue.

When you install a “fresh” sd card it puts an icon on the top bar. When you tap the icon it takes you to the system screen which is fine but you have to scroll down to the format button and I wasn’t 100% sure what I needed to do.

What it should do is take you to the system screen and scroll down to the correct section for you.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I have like 12 games on my deck. I feel like if I have much more than that installed on any platform my indecisiveness takes over and I'm scrolling back and forth between options instead of playing.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

jokes posted:

Can Steam Deck run final fantasy XI?

It says it’s not supported but I’ll download it and give it a whirl, it’s been able to handle most random unsupported stuff I’ve tested so far

Boy this sucker is heavy lol, I gotta figure out some comfortable positions or get stronger wrists

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I have 48 installed, and while I wish I could say I've been pushing the Deck to its limits, I've really only been playing The Surge and Coromon at the moment. Though I have Dead Space 1installed, so I might do Gyro mode on that and go nuts.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
I put the new Stanley Parable on it and it runs like butter. The only issue I've seen so far is a texture issue where they z fight through each other (normally walls) but it's super minor.
Otherwise it's Spyro which also runs super well on high.

The more I play the more I like the deck, which is the opposite of what I expected to happen.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The worst graphics glitch I've seen in any game so far is on Red Faction Guerilla Re-Mars-tered there's a black circle in the sky if you look straight up. But why are you looking straight up when the poo poo to smash is in front of you?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Firebert posted:

It says it’s not supported but I’ll download it and give it a whirl, it’s been able to handle most random unsupported stuff I’ve tested so far

Boy this sucker is heavy lol, I gotta figure out some comfortable positions or get stronger wrists

FFXI is extremely weird because you’re not allowed to minimize natively so you might need to download Windower. The reason I ask is because, unlike other games, FFXI kind of kicks your computer down and I don’t know how well that plays with SteamOS

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Oh wait, I misred that as IX lol

IX works really well for not being unsupported so far, not sure about XI

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i had tried to play pipe push paradise from itch.io, and if i launched it from desktop mode it would work, but if i tried to launch it from game mode it wouldn't switch over. like the game would load because i'd see a frame of the title screen flicker, but steamOS doesn't know how to target the game or something, so it just runs underneath and i can't access it. i'll try lutris later, i got a lot of stuff through amazon prime i'd like to try (and hopefully they'll work while offline), such as Candleman, Smoke & Sacrifice, Tales of the Neon Sea, Yono & the Celestial Elephants, Treachery in Beatdown City, and others.

at least for me, paralysis of choice is not too big an issue because i had gotten so many games in the last couple of months that they're all still very fresh in my mind despite having so many options. i have 72 games installed from steam currently, and at least 25 of them that i for sure want to play.... then 13 that i've already started and want to get back to, and then the rest are just ones i'm thinkin' about for the future. Or I might gently caress around and test them to see how well they run.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

i had tried to play pipe push paradise from itch.io, and if i launched it from desktop mode it would work, but if i tried to launch it from game mode it wouldn't switch over. like the game would load because i'd see a frame of the title screen flicker, but steamOS doesn't know how to target the game or something, so it just runs underneath and i can't access it.

If you're on the latest OS update pressing the Steam button should now give you a list of all the windows the current "game" has open and let you switch which one has focus. Hopefully that should fix it?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

If you're on the latest OS update pressing the Steam button should now give you a list of all the windows the current "game" has open and let you switch which one has focus. Hopefully that should fix it?
nah, because it doesn't think the game is loaded even though it is. the button goes back to "Play" but i can hear the audio of the game, lol

i'll see how lutris games run, I went to play one of my EGS games earlier in the week after setting it up, and they wanted me to log in to my Epic account again after I had already done that, and I was too lazy to pull up the password a second time. i want to play strange horticulture at some point for sure. i have... too many games

i finished another game this morning (milli & greg) and started forgotton anne, which is a pretty game but a bit clumsy with its platforming since it is Prince of Persia style movement/jumping

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 30, 2022

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I started playing Rogue Legacy 2 tonight, and it plays very slow - is this the case for anyone else playing it on the deck? A few of the games I've been playing are slow, so it must be a setting on my deck I'm not understanding.

Edit: nevermind - it was the frame rate setting. If you set it to 30 Fps, it's half as fast, and makes it much easier (if you want that wort of advantage).

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 1, 2022

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I was surprised that they didn't have per-game profiles for the power/framerate stuff. I have to assume its coming, maybe once they fill out the feature set (adding core parking, SMT switching etc)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SCheeseman posted:

I was surprised that they didn't have per-game profiles for the power/framerate stuff. I have to assume its coming, maybe once they fill out the feature set (adding core parking, SMT switching etc)?
There's only one SMT game on Steam right now anyways, I don't think switching them needs to be an OS feature yet. :v: