Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
No, Felicia has already moved on and closed the door on that relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

No door is ever permanently closed in comics.

Felicia and Peter are a good pair too.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like Felicia is at her worst in SM comics. She’s got a solo and then a mini. Let her just be that

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I mean, I just want to see Marvel or DC commit to a prominent marriage that works. Is there one that exists in either major continuity? Reed and Sue I guess.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The team up with her and MJ was wonderful and the conversation they had about Peter was perfect. I used to want Spidey and cat together if he couldn't be with MJ, but not after that. It was a perfect adult ending of their romantic relationship and transition into a platonic friendship.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Nilbop posted:

I mean, I just want to see Marvel or DC commit to a prominent marriage that works. Is there one that exists in either major continuity? Reed and Sue I guess.

Scott and Jean and Wolverine?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Superman and Lois works pretty well with the exception of that short period where they tried to make Superman a green hero

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
billy and teddy haven't gotten divorced yet

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's time for Spider-Man x Firestar

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
going to be real and say that the Peter/MJ marriage basically did not work until JMS and I honestly don't know if it would have worked afterwards.

The storytelling around that relationship in the 90's was dire as gently caress, and I don't think that's an inherent problem with either character, but it was clear writers just did not want to do anything with the marriage and either minimized it, found ways to write MJ out of stories entirely, or siloed her off into lovely b-plots that never amounted to anything.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 1, 2022

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Nilbop posted:

Luke and Jessica?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

These are the married couples I can think of that exist right now:

Ben Grimm and Alicia Masters
Hulkling and Wiccan
Reed and Sue
Scott and Jean
Black Bolt and Medusa
Northstar and Kyle
Luke Cage and Jessica Jones
Rogue and Gambit
Jamie Madrox and Layla Miller
Brian Braddock and Meggan
Dr. Strange and Clea (even though he's dead)

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Hulkling and Wiccan
Reed and Sue
Scott and Jean
Black Bolt and Medusa
Northstar and Kyle
Rogue and Gambit

Mystique and Destiny are back, for better or worse.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Hulkling and Wiccan
Reed and Sue
Scott and Jean and Wolverine
Black Bolt and Medusa
Northstar and Kyle
Rogue and Gambit

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Nilbop posted:

It's weird, but I went on a Silver Age tear towards the end of last year, and it really does feel like Reed and Sue are only still together out of institutional momentum.

Luke and Jessica might have the most functional marriage in Marvel at the moment.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it's much easier when you're never in a book

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The X-man cometh posted:

Mystique and Destiny are back, for better or worse.

Oh yeah, and I guess Apocalypse and his wife Genesis count too

Jean and Scott are not married to Wolverine, that doesn't count.

Oh and Doug and his large wife Bei

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can't believe you forgot Doug and his Large Wife

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think I'm in the same boast as everyone else when it comes to the new ASM: the Peter/MJ setup doesn't interest me, but the rest seems fun. I like the idea of Spider-Man having to stop a major underground crime kerfuffle while dealing with a personal connection to it. Plus, I think Wells has a good handle on writing Tombstone. I hope he gets to stay a main character for a while.

I also think this is the best JRJR's art has looked in a while. A lot of that is probably down to Menyz doing a good job on the colours, but all that matters in that end is that it serves the story well.

e: I also think they should stop bringing Peter's life back to square one with every new writer. Let the poor lad make some progress in his life for once.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 1, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

drrockso20 posted:

At this point just have him be a photographer again, it was his main civilian job for like 40 years, no reason he can't take it up again

Peter trying to navigate the awful art world to sell his photographs, doing wedding photos every weekend to make ends meet while juggling being Spider-Man would be fun.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

CharlestheHammer posted:

Superman and Lois works pretty well with the exception of that short period where they tried to make Superman a green hero

Didn't the New 52 try and push Clark and Diana for a long while or did I get the wrong impression there? Maybe that was just in the cartoon movies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nilbop posted:

Didn't the New 52 try and push Clark and Diana for a long while or did I get the wrong impression there? Maybe that was just in the cartoon movies.

I don't know how long they pushed it, but it was definitely a thing for a hot minute.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

going to be real and say that the Peter/MJ marriage basically did not work until JMS and I honestly don't know if it would have worked afterwards.

The storytelling around that relationship in the 90's was dire as gently caress, and I don't think that's an inherent problem with either character, but it was clear writers just did not want to do anything with the marriage and either minimized it, found ways to write MJ out of stories entirely, or siloed her off into lovely b-plots that never amounted to anything.

I mean let’s be real, Spider-Man in the 90s was really bad.

Like for as popular a character as SM is, his main book has been absolutely dire more often than not at this point

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

I just realized it's a bit weird how Scott and Jean basically picked up where they left off before his affair with Emma, considering that Jean was dead for ~15ish years in realtime, during which Scott got radicalized and then died

Seems like there could be a few interesting conversations there that were never really featured. And we haven't really seen Jean interact with Hope, who is effectively her granddaughter, either.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

OnimaruXLR posted:

I just realized it's a bit weird how Scott and Jean basically picked up where they left off before his affair with Emma, considering that Jean was dead for ~15ish years in realtime, during which Scott got radicalized and then died

Seems like there could be a few interesting conversations there that were never really featured. And we haven't really seen Jean interact with Hope, who is effectively her granddaughter, either.

I imagine her being able to read minds plus having experienced some of that period retroactively through her teen self being around for a while probably sped up the whole catching up thing, not to mention that due to the sliding timeline it had probably only been about 3 to 5 years at the most between Magneto killing her and her getting brought back in universe

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean let’s be real, Spider-Man in the 90s was really bad.

Like for as popular a character as SM is, his main book has been absolutely dire more often than not at this point

I can argue it’s been mostly “there” rather than dire. Of course a lot of that depends on how you feel about one certain writer. Overall it hasn’t been too bad for the last 35 years

Roger Stern era - probably the quintessential writer after Stan/Steve/Romita. A glorious run by a guy who not only “got” Spidey, but also Peter and the supporting cast.

Tom DeFalco era - a really good run with some fun stories and more actual growth for Peter

Dave Micheline era - man did he write this book for a long time. Started out weird with the sudden marriage to MJ, but he did a lot with the young couple. Lord of great villains and supporting cast members. Mostly good stuff until you hit….

The Clone Saga era - the wheels really come off here. DeMatteis/deFalco/Byrne. Goes on for way too long, strays way too far from what Spidey is supposed to be, and nearly kills the entire line.

Mackie/Byrne “relaunch” era - meh. Bogged down by Byrne’s Chapter One mini and his insurance on incorporating the concepts and costumes into the main book. It’s honestly best left forgotten. Anyone want a lollipop?

JMS era - drat it’s been over 20 years since this started 😳. A truly great run that sadly got remembered as much for the Goblin Twins and the quesada ending as it did for the many high points. Another writer that really “got” both Peter AND Spider-Man and pushed the characters forward without seeming clunky or forced.

“Brand New Day” era - meh. Some high points but I never cared for the new cast members and a lot of it is forgettable. The book basically just existed - not bad, not great, just there.

Dan Slott era - it went on for a looooong time and had some good stories, even some great ones, but he’s a polarizing writer. I never thought he was as bad as he’s made out to be here, but your mileage may very. There’s some garbage in here for sure, but there’s also a ton of high points - a lot of cool concepts and really good stories, the best of which was Superior Spider-Man. He had fun writing this book and it showed nearly all the time.

“Beyond” - yeah, you can throw this right in the garbage.

Outside of the clone saga/relaunch era (which was admittedly a good chunk of time), ASM has been pretty good for drat near 40 years. Some mediocre runs to be sure, but also a majority of good-to-great stuff as well.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I really liked Walt Simonson's short Beta Ray Bill story in the huge Thor 750 issue.

They should bring him back to replace Cates for another long run.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JordanKai posted:

I think I'm in the same boast as everyone else when it comes to the new ASM: the Peter/MJ setup doesn't interest me, but the rest seems fun. I like the idea of Spider-Man having to stop a major underground crime kerfuffle while dealing with a personal connection to it. Plus, I think Wells has a good handle on writing Tombstone. I hope he gets to stay a main character for a while.

Given his work with Kingpin I think Wells has real passion for organized crime stuff and it rules.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
In hindsight the main thing I like about the JMS run is that he did some interesting stuff with Peter's personal life, between May finally getting let in on the secret and the teaching thing, but all the Spider-Man stuff was...

I didn't like it. The second he said Morlun hit harder than anyone else he's ever been hit by I was like "Oh, so it's gonna be like that, huh?" And then the rest of the run was that feeling slowly being magnified until I dipped out

I liked Brand New Day for no other reason than the rotating cast of writers meant that even if you didn't like what was going on, give it a few months and it'd be someone else's turn

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Peter got clocked by the Hulk at least once, I also hated that Morlun poo poo.

And that Slott took it and ran it into the loving ground.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean yes that is the main appeal of JMS, Peter had spent most of the 90s after Michielle run in a stagnate bubble as writers tried to bring back the 80s without actually doing any 80s style stories.

I also like some of the Back in Black stuff but I feel like OMD finally getting the 80s back undercut BIB really really hard

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also I liked Morlun, he’s not interesting enough to come back or be a recurring villain but seeing SM being pushed by something they he couldn’t brute force was cool

It reminded me of what Mutant Massacre did for 80s X-men.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

The X-man cometh posted:

I really liked Walt Simonson's short Beta Ray Bill story in the huge Thor 750 issue.

They should bring him back to replace Cates for another long run.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OnimaruXLR posted:

I didn't like it. The second he said Morlun hit harder than anyone else he's ever been hit by I was like "Oh, so it's gonna be like that, huh?"

I think that line works better in hindsight. I seem to remember (god this is so long ago) that later on as we and Spider-Man learn how Morlun's powers work he's not just hitting Spider-Man with blunt force but absorbing a part of him each time. So each hit feels like it is so much worse than a mere super strength punch. It's what Spider-Man's eventual plan relies on, when he irradiates himself more so that Morlun poisons himself with each hit he lands.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Honestly I feel like JMS' take on the totem stuff would have been remembered a lot more fondly if he'd just let it lie with The Book of Ezekiel, where it was left ultimately ambiguous.

That's also when JRJR stopped on the book and right before Sins Past, so it's basically the perfect stopping point for the JMS run. Or at least to then skip ahead to Back In Black.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Isn't Peter a famous photographer? He won a pulitzer, right?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

wiegieman posted:

Isn't Peter a famous photographer? He won a pulitzer, right?

for a photo of Sentry so don't think about that too hard

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's published at least one book as well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

He's published at least one book as well.

Yeah, I remember when his book 'Webs' which was like a coffee table book for Spider-Man was a big deal for a while. It popped up now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It was also while McFarlane was on the book.