Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Las Vegas
Surface streets
No filtering
Air cooled

Air cooled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Hi thread. I believe it's time for me to downsize, and I need a recommendation. Currently, I have two bikes - a Super Tenere and a V-rod. Seeing as how I don't do the adventure touring thing so much anymore, I'm thinking of getting rid of the Super Tenere and switching to something more commuter size for my ride to work. I'd like something new, would like to keep it as close to 5 grand as possible, and it needs to be able to handle Las Vegas surface streets and the occasional hop on the freeway. It's that last bit which is keeping me out of a super cub as much as I like it. So I'm thinking instead of Royal Enfield, or maybe a 400cc Kawasaki or something. I prefer a standard riding position. I would also LOVE to get something like a Sondors Metacycle, but that's not really a real thing yet as far as I can tell, and most other electrics are more than I want to spend on a commuter.

So....thoughts?

Z400 sounds like the ticket.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

get a drz!!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Las Vegas
Surface streets
No filtering
Air cooled

Air cooled

Just run 20w50 and she'll be right (your legs will not)

But also post pics of your vrod!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just use the vrod.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

just filter lol be the change you want to see in the world

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Thinking back to all the times I’ve filtered in the Midwest and have been met with the response deemed appropriate by drivers: attempted vehicular manslaughter.

There was also the city bus driver who reached out her window attempting to grab me off my bike.

I really should get a living will in order and stipulate that if I’m ever killed on my bike, any grave marker or urn needs to read “Tried cutting in line.”

(Get a DRZ)

Revvik fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 30, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Get the drz. (just be sure to replace the coolant overflow tank annually)
DR also good.

Revvik posted:

Thinking back to all the times I’ve filtered in the Midwest and have been met with the response deemed appropriate by drivers: attempted vehicular manslaughter.

lol happened to me in Vegas so ehhh probably don't do that there.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Good info about DRZ and the supermoto lyfe. Thanks! I'll see if there's any around to take a look at. Maybe the right bike will come up!

Also, pic of the V-Rod as requested (excuse my filthy garage)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Beautiful, but bin the tank bra.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Beautiful, but bin the tank bra.

But then everyone will see the pussy!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Good info about DRZ and the supermoto lyfe. Thanks! I'll see if there's any around to take a look at. Maybe the right bike will come up!

Also, pic of the V-Rod as requested (excuse my filthy garage)

Easily cleaner and more practical than any example I've seen irl, and I've seen hundreds.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

But then everyone will see the pussy!

Is that the bussy I keep hearing about?

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
All these DRZ fetishists don't know how to count to 5000. But I do! KLX300SM.

(300s are fine on the highway, I rode a 300 DC->NY at least 15 times)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I test road a Great Success 750 (GSX-S750) today.
I like it.
I like it a lot... But... It's trouble.
But I like it.

It's quiet and docile and super easy to just tool around on, it's comfortable enough. Seat is nice and not too wide. I sat on a tracer 900 after and it's way wider in the crotch and your legs feel much more splayed compared to the GSX-S. Knees are a little folded up, time would tell how uncomfortable that gets, but there's a lot of room to move around.
Handling is amazing, it just tips in so nicely. It had some kind of Battlax tires on it. The brakes are outstanding! Suspension seems pretty decent. It was a short test ride, but there were some bumps, bridge expansions, etc and it felt fine.
The trouble is the sound it makes when you get on the throttle. It makes you want to get on it and on it and on it and that's a really good way to lose your licence, so you have to be an adult about riding it. Also it has a Yoshi alpha exhaust on it that yowls and pops like banshee with gas so it kind of announces your presence to all and sundry as a fuckin dong when you're riding it like one. But man, you just roll on at 5k in 2nd or 3rd and it sounds so, so good. Winding it all the way out is a trip, but you lose the bike noise to wind noise beyond a certain point, so the high end loses some of its appeal.
Anyway it's at the very top of my budget so I need to run the numbers and see if I can make it work. I still want to try out a guzzi v7 because I'm a broke brained idiot, but I might just buy this Great Success and stop whittling.

Oh yeah, and the switchgear is :discourse:.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 3, 2022

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Sounds similar to my first impressions of the 919. It's not an intimidating engine but coming off a twin it feels like it just revs forever. So I try to wind it out, but with that exhaust I feel like every cop in the county must be turning his head to look at me and then I glance down and the speedo says 95.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just trying to imagine you guys riding a four with actual power and giggling

E: or alternatively, an i4 250 where you wind it up to 18,000, it sounds like the world's ending and you glance down to see you're doing 45kmh

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 4, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

E: or alternatively, an i4 250 where you wind it up to 18,000, it sounds like the world's ending and you glance down to see you're doing 45kmh

I long for this.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Got me thinking, so I looked it up. The most powerful bike I've ridden was the Brutale 750 at ~127hp. Then it's a toss up between the old CB1000R and the R1200GS at ~123hp. All very different bikes. Then a whole bunch around the 100hp mark, which I find to be a nice sweet spot for the street. Enough, but not too much. The GSX-S is bordering on too much, but it seemed so tractable in the low and mid range that I never got that "blink and I'll kill you" feeling of the Brutale. It was a short test ride on mostly straight roads though, so its not like I was keeping it on full boil through some winding mountain pass.
The least powerful would probably be the Grom, which was fun as heck in a parking lot.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

I long for this.

For real, come on Kawi, sell it here plz.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

You can import 25yo JDM bikes. They're pretty expensive compared to what they go for in NZ, though. We just don't have the same market.

http://www.moto2imports.com/current-inventory/honda-cbr250rr-mc22-available-for-import-11500
http://www.moto2imports.com/current-inventory/yamaha-fzr250r-available-for-import-8300

If you're feeling spicy...

http://www.moto2imports.com/current-inventory/yamaha-tzr250-available-for-import-14800
http://www.moto2imports.com/current-inventory/suzuki-rgv250-sp-lucky-strike-available-for-us-import

Or maybe you're just rich!

http://www.moto2imports.com/current-inventory/honda-rc30-available-at-auction-in-japan-on-tuesday-night-419

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

https://iconicmotorbikeauctions.com/

Also always has really interesting bikes along the same lines of very interesting stuff.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

At the dealer, I saw something neat that I liked a lot! Someone please tell me how bad a decision the Svartpilen 401 is.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Mr. Wiggles posted:

At the dealer, I saw something neat that I liked a lot! Someone please tell me how bad a decision the Svartpilen 401 is.

lol

lmao

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Time is a flat circle

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Well that's certainly a lot said with few words.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

'Bad' is such a broad term

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Don't.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Wait hold on, this isn't the newbies thread and Mr. Wiggles has been around here for a while. Our sample size of XXpilens in this forum is still low.

It's a great idea! Get one! Get a Svart and a Vit!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's a duke 390 and all the probems associated therein, in different outfit with a worse dash.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think someone should do the needful and buy a 390. I have apparently been entered into a raffle for one, but I’ll have to spend another $170 to find out if I’ve won, so that’s my hat in the ring.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

People on this very board have 390's, they're all just too ashamed to post

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It's going to be hard to top your "bearing replacement requires a new engine case" story.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That seems like a suboptimal piece of engineering.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Do they still constantly blow headgaskets because flat surfaces are for squares?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
You also can't get bottom end rebuild parts for them so when the disposamotor blows you do the Caterpillar method and buy a new piece of equipment from a different manufacturer (in this case, Honda).

I know an AI goon with a 390 duke. He just did his first oil change after the dealer did the '500mi break in service'. They found a curly-fry shape and size piece of metal swarf in the screen that was left over from manufacturing. (which also suggests the dealer didn't pull the screens at the break in service)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Try playing spot the main bearing, let me know when you find the part number

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Is it 1?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It is 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I assume the main bearing is in that slightly smaller large hole in the center left of the bottom image. Do they like... pour the mold around the bearing? Or is it just glued in because they can't be assed. #7 (and 10, and 13) is clearly another bearing, so they obviously know how to make them removable.