Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7090616402553457926

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Opinions are entirely subjective except for when it comes to universal condemnation of The Twin Dilemma :hai:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Timelash is a flawless masterpiece.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Audios I've listened to recently:

The First Sontarans - A pretty clever take on the origin story, rather trying to copy Genesis of the Daleks, there's an interesting spin. Plus the Rutans! Why does the franchise never use them!

The Beginning - A nice little character piece about Susan's departure from Gallifrey. There's the tricky element of telling a satisfying story without giving away any of the fundamental mysteries about Susan and the Doctor. They don't give anything away, but there are a few interesting hints, and there's a blink and you'll miss it Clara mention. Terry Molloy is fun as a selfish Time Lord engineer, but there's nothing compelling enough about the character that I feel like buying the rest of the trilogy, but this has some really nice moments.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

OldMemes posted:

The First Sontarans - A pretty clever take on the origin story, rather trying to copy Genesis of the Daleks, there's an interesting spin. Plus the Rutans! Why does the franchise never use them!

The same "spin" is in another Lost Story "Lords of the Red Planet".

And the Rutans pop up in, (spoilers) Castle of Fear

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I attempted to listen to Minuet in Hell.

Now all I hear in my brain is Colin Baker saying "Grandpappy?!" in the same disgusted tone of voice he said "carrot juice?!"

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

OldMemes posted:

The Beginning - A nice little character piece about Susan's departure from Gallifrey. There's the tricky element of telling a satisfying story without giving away any of the fundamental mysteries about Susan and the Doctor. They don't give anything away, but there are a few interesting hints, and there's a blink and you'll miss it Clara mention. Terry Molloy is fun as a selfish Time Lord engineer, but there's nothing compelling enough about the character that I feel like buying the rest of the trilogy, but this has some really nice moments.

I want some millennial/gen Z writer to give Big Finish the inevitable logical pitch of "Among Us but with Rutans"

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Davros1 posted:

The same "spin" is in another Lost Story "Lords of the Red Planet".

And the Rutans pop up in, (spoilers) Castle of Fear

Honestly I liked that they didn't go for the "oh no I have traveled to the creation of the Sontarans and must not infer with history and must watch the tragic events unfold" to the point where its not even clear what the title refers to until about three quarters in. And I prefer the humour of Sontarans to come from their miltary pomp and smugness, rather than them being comic relief.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Are lost stories, solely stories that were meant to come out but ended up getting shelved?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Confusedslight posted:

Are lost stories, solely stories that were meant to come out but ended up getting shelved?

Most were scripts that were submitted, but for whatever reason, be it similar to something already in production, or the cost it would take to make it (it was usually this), they were rejected. There are some outliers though:

The first batch, all featuring Colin, were mostly scripts that had been originally proposed for the original Season 23, before the show was placed on hiatus and then brought back for "The Trial of a Time Lord".

The four Sylvester McCoy Lost Stories were the scripts that were going to be made for Season 27, had the show not been cancelled.

In the Second Doctor Boxset, the story "The Daleks: The Destroyers" was Terry Nation's scripts for an unmade US pilot about the Daleks.

A few others, like Tom's "The Foe From the Future" and "Return of the Cybermen", were original scripts that had been so heavily reworked that the on-air finished product resembled very little-to-nothing of the original scripts (Robert Banks Stewart's "Foe" would've be insanely expensive, but Robert Holmes took the basic idea of a villain traveling from the future to the past to extend his life and made it into "The Talons of Weng-Chiang")

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 2, 2022

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rhyno posted:

Timelash is a flawless masterpiece.

It certainly doesn't have a single flaw

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It certainly doesn't have a single flaw

lol

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’d love to hear the original Lungbarrow version of Ghost Light.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Si1ver_Vo4tex/status/1521958329874100224

Why let a Galaxy Far Far Away have all the fun

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Filming in Cardiff next month. Sounds exciting!

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022

FreezingInferno posted:

I want some millennial/gen Z writer to give Big Finish the inevitable logical pitch of "Among Us but with Rutans"

I've often wondered if the Big Finish stuff if worth listening to. What is your favorite story? (trying to decide where to big as I know the library is vast).

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022
Has there been any speculation as to when the new Doc will be annoucned?

Who are the front runners?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1521174259254632448?s=20&t=TsQHfePM97N2soVat1OERA

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

JohnnyQPublic posted:

Has there been any speculation as to when the new Doc will be annoucned?

Who are the front runners?

Probably before filming starts in less than a month so it doesn't just leak out.

Names circling are Jessica Hynes, Olly Alexander, Omari Douglas, Fisayo Akinade, and maybe even David Tennant (revisiting an old face, but just the favourites, eh?). Basically if you've worked with RTD, you're in with a shout. Hynes is the name given by the guy who leaked that Capaldi had been cast, so there might be some merit there.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

The_Doctor posted:

Probably before filming starts in less than a month so it doesn't just leak out.

Names circling are Jessica Hynes, Olly Alexander, Omari Douglas, Fisayo Akinade, and maybe even David Tennant (revisiting an old face, but just the favourites, eh?). Basically if you've worked with RTD, you're in with a shout. Hynes is the name given by the guy who leaked that Capaldi had been cast, so there might be some merit there.

don't forget James Corden

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I wish we could.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Run, you talentless hack, and forget.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wish he would run into the path of a large truck.

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022

Grillfiend posted:

don't forget James Corden

I would hope we don't get James Corden, it really depends on what RTD has planned to right the ship after the Chinabll run...which was so uneven it would have an episode that was cool, and then an episode that absolutely sucked, plus the companions weren't the greatest.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

JohnnyQPublic posted:

I would hope we don't get James Corden, it really depends on what RTD has planned to right the ship after the Chinabll run...which was so uneven it would have an episode that was cool, and then an episode that absolutely sucked, plus the companions weren't the greatest.

Maybe they're planning to give him a side series starring as the henchman to Stormageddon. That would also be pretty objectionable, but it could also get canceled after three episodes.

They could never pull off the surprise, but I'd have loved it if the Doctor takes the fatal wound, drops off Yaz and says goodbye, goes back in the TARDIS saying something like "you'll get over her" to herself again and again, and then regenerates... into Yasmin Khan.

First words of the new regeneration, looking at herself in the mirror: "Or... maybe not."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't believe Bradley Walsh is the 14th Doctor

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

it's me i'm the next doctor who

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Are we going to find out really soon or months from now? I hate this point haha

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Congrats on your three seasons, which thanks to BBC scheduling means you will be the Doctor for the next 7 years, for a total of 4 episodes.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jerusalem posted:

Congrats on your three seasons, which thanks to BBC scheduling means you will be the Doctor for the next 7 years, for a total of 4 episodes.

Sounds good, I'm remarkably lazy.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

JohnnyQPublic posted:

Look, we're all happy Chibnell is going, but lets not go crazy here; Consistency and RTD do not necessarily go together. His run had some real high highs but also some incredibly low lows. He oversaw a lot of very bad episodes, often broadcast within a couple of weeks of some amazing episodes.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Aw hell, I had money on Jerusalem getting the surprise nod.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I've been cast as their multiversal counter -part Doctor What

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Look, I’ve told you once.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Sounds good, I'm remarkably lazy.

They actually have all actors playing the Doctor run in a giant hamster wheel when they aren't filming. Keeps the actor ready for all the running they do on set and the wheel keeps the electricity going ever since the BBC was unable to pay the power bill.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Can your catchphrase please be 'swear on me mum'?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Harlock posted:

I've been cast as their multiversal counter -part Doctor What

News to me!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
does the doctor have to only be one person at a time? Googling the list of potentials it's a bunch of randos I'm snap judging based on how much I want to see their face ever again or how much they look like a soundcloud rapper.

i think the next doctor should be two fairly small people, six or seven feet tall (2.45 long stones) between them if they stood on each other's shoulders. or perhaps the doctor could be 4 or 5 children, kind of like those roving gangs of knife wielding kids the UK has.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Doctor Chav?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Doctors Chav

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd be down for John Boyega as the Doctor.